Dark Souls Page 806

• Page

of 1190 First / Last

• Ironlungs76 22 Jun 2013 08:49:24 4,930 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    I killed the knight with the crest shield when first at the asylum, have I just ruined my chances of getting the crest shield?
    Nope. He'll be there when you revisit either way.
  • Dangerous_Dan 22 Jun 2013 08:50:44 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    *I need the ring from Sif, yeah ?
    Yes.
  • oldschoolsoviet 22 Jun 2013 09:15:57 5,415 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan

Cheers. *sigh* I don't think I had too many problems with him before, so we'll see.
  • quadfather 22 Jun 2013 09:55:30 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've never learnt how to parry properly so its always a jet Lee/ general fahita type fight for me and gwyn

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dangerous_Dan 22 Jun 2013 11:03:42 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I did beat him without parry but that was quite difficult. It also depends on your poise. If you have lots of it then he can't stun-lock you, otherwise he's quite the obstacle.

Now I am all about the parry action with him. I block the first swing of his combos with my shield and parry the second one. That way I have a sense of his rhythm. Works like a charm by now. Oh, the only thing is to role away when he's doing his grab attack and to keep cool and only heal after a successful riposte - the time window is just big enough.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 11:05:16 22-06-2013
  • quadfather 22 Jun 2013 11:05:01 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gah, Parry. Amateurs

:-D

• Dangerous_Dan 22 Jun 2013 11:08:42 2,175 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That's right, no money for doing the parry!

; )
  • Dr_Mech 22 Jun 2013 11:43:12 940 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Be warned dearest Goodfella, that video be ANCIENT.

Back then the Eagle shield had 100% physical protection, it has since been nerfed to 95% physical protection, while this may not seem like much, in the long run it means you can't reliably not take damage in fights, while the Eagle Shield was the mainstay of almost everyone due to the low stat requirement, good stability and 100% physical block it is nolonger a decent shield.

A good replacement for the Eagle Shield is the Balder Shield, while it doesn't have as much stability as the Eagle Shield (77 when fully upgraded compared to 84 on the Eagle Shield) it has less stat requirements to use, blocks 100% physical and allows you to parry.

And yeah a Buffed Ricard's Rapier is downright ridiculous when combined with Crystal Magic weapon and Power Within. On one of my character I was pushing out 2000 damage in under 5 seconds using the 2 handed Strong attack.
  • Dr_Mech 22 Jun 2013 11:55:24 940 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Balder shield is pretty much my 'goto' shield now, best stability to weight ratio of any shield in the game, low stat requirements, 100% physical block AND the ability to parry? Personally the best gruntwork shield in the game.

For ubertanking I usually use Greatshield of Artorias (dat Stability!) or Havel's (Dat damage resistance!) depending on if I hit 50 strength or not.

To fix your little problem, Pyro glove right hand secondary weapon, Catalyst left hand secondary weapon. Do Pyromancy chestbump first then switch back to your weapon and switch your shield for the catalyst. Saves a whole lot of trouble...also don't do it the other way round, it wastes a CMW...which I must have done more than 20 times just by sheer forgetfulness alone...

Edited by Dr_Mech at 11:57:18 22-06-2013
  • Deleted user 22 June 2013 13:23:01
    @Choppi Well done, you have my sincere respect. I can't believe how quickly you did it! I'm on 47 hours still pissing about before going back to O+S!! How embarrassing compared to your actual completion time!
  • ProfessorLesser 22 Jun 2013 13:35:45 19,349 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Four Kings man, so annoying.

So what's the big deal with Bed of Chaos? It was strange and all but not actually that difficult. It's pretty forgiving with it's fixed attack pattern. Is it just that it might not be at all obvious what to do?
  • Deleted user 22 June 2013 13:49:20
    Everyone finds different bosses hard. Four kings were one of the easiest bosses. Run, attack attack block attack attack block attack attack block. Next one spawns, run attack attack block etc. Occasional flask, attack attack block.

Thanks billy, I have no idea how you could be 47 hours deep..)
  • Mola_Ram 22 Jun 2013 14:36:01 6,246 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had major issues with the last boss, because I'd always get sweaty and nervous. When I finally did it, it was with the help of Brolaire.
  • ProfessorLesser 22 Jun 2013 14:44:33 19,349 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess Four Kings is better for melee and Quelaag for casters? I had no trouble with the latter, but I don't have the armour for Four Kings and dodging isn't really an option as I have to keep the cast rate up.

It's more annoying that you have to respawn from Firelink every time.
  • Deleted user 22 June 2013 14:57:48
    @Choppi I do. I'm shit :-P
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 15:01:55 16,261 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Choppi wrote:
    Everyone finds different bosses hard. Four kings were one of the easiest bosses. Run, attack attack block attack attack block attack attack block. Next one spawns, run attack attack block etc. Occasional flask, attack attack block.

Thanks billy, I have no idea how you could be 47 hours deep..)
    Indeed, first time around I was tentative with them and they handed my arse to me but the second time I just went in and mashed them with my Zweihander and they went down easy. Same with my int/dex character. Softly softly just didn't work.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 22 Jun 2013 15:02:26 16,261 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    @ProfessorLesser

Very probably, I rarely go caster so melee proves a bit tricky with all of Quelaags moves.
    I presume you summon the npc?

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mola_Ram 22 Jun 2013 15:13:03 6,246 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I blew balls at pretty much all of the bosses, so the summonable NPCs were an absolute godsend.
  • Dr_Mech 22 Jun 2013 23:17:50 940 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Quelaag is one of those bosses that still gets me on occasions purely because she has an instakill move that I completely forget she has if you stand a bit too far towards the back of the spider where it shakes and sends out multiple fireballs that hit so hard and so fast that it oneshots you.
  • Deleted user 23 June 2013 00:04:10
    Gragh! This game is annoying!
    I want to start playing the three games I haven't started yet but just played for one more hour! Now 2 hours twenty minute in, level 32, tonight killed butterfly and sif.
    Depths tomorrow.
    Playing this time without using Drake sword, using my starting gear which is hilarious vs the black knights when you go back to undead asylum. You have to parry counter five times to kill one! I'm used to one hit killing all things from my first playthrough.
  • Dr_Mech 23 Jun 2013 05:25:43 940 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You are now playing Dark Souls the proper way, the true way, the Drake Swordless way.

Dark Souls gets claws into you and once it is in your heart, you can never shake it, you are now cursed until Dark Souls 2 comes out to constantly forget you have games you could be playing (seriously I have Borderlands 2 for PC stil wrapped sitting on a shelf...that I bought when it first came out...)
  • ZuluHero 23 Jun 2013 09:19:30 3,666 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Conversely I have no trouble with Quelaag and loads of trouble with 4 kings. I'm always melee, I just find it easier to read Quelaag's tells and go toe to toe with her. As long as you stay in the open she's easy to dodge.
  • quadfather 23 Jun 2013 09:25:14 10,547 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I daren't turn it on today because it'll just take another 5 hours out of my time. I *have* to play a bit of the Last of Us and I really want to get back into Dragon's dogma.

If I put DS on, both of those options go straight out of the window :)

• Deleted user 23 June 2013 10:31:08
    Second playthrough it is like a different game. I'm just sprinting around everywhere like a nutter. Still just got my base gear with no upgrades.
  • Page

of 1190 First / Last