Dark Souls Page 740

• Page

of 1198 First / Last

• senso-ji 18 Mar 2013 11:13:09 5,840 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Red_Bool

You can't do option 1 without first beating option 2. So your choice is simple ;)
  • Red_Bool 18 Mar 2013 11:24:25 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @senso-ji - Thanks! I was already having some suspicions about that: Option 1 results in an insta-death (I did manage to read part of the hint in the center of the area before getting killed, which now makes sense), option 2 I can hold out a little bit longer ;)
    It had to be either me missing the point of option 1 or an order dependency (or perhaps an NPC had already mentioned this to me and I had forgotten). Thanks again!
  • SparkyMarky81 18 Mar 2013 11:50:21 565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Red_Bool

I went for Artorias first as the Dragon is a pain to beat.

With Artorias, I found dodging his moves to be the best way to win the fight. He has a few tricks that will eat up your stamina if you try to block everything. Leave it late before rolling out of the way and don't try to get too many hits in at a time. Patience is key!
  • Red_Bool 18 Mar 2013 13:31:22 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SparkyMarky81 wrote:
    @Red_Bool

I went for Artorias first as the Dragon is a pain to beat.

With Artorias, I found dodging his moves to be the best way to win the fight. He has a few tricks that will eat up your stamina if you try to block everything. Leave it late before rolling out of the way and don't try to get too many hits in at a time. Patience is key!
    Yes, Mr Artorias already hammered down those points pretty firmly (literally...) ;)
  • quadfather 18 Mar 2013 13:45:42 11,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, you can't block - you've got to roll/evade.

Having a longer reaching weapon helps too

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Dangerous_Dan 18 Mar 2013 15:19:48 2,380 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It depends with Artorias. Eith 40 endurance and a really heavy shield you can block most of his attacks (NG+). On the other hand if you go mobility then go all the way, the Darkwood ring makes evading much easier - more invincibility frames.

I like how they designed him. One of the more interesting boss battles in the game - his moves are not very predictable.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 15:20:08 18-03-2013
  • Lotos8ter 18 Mar 2013 15:43:05 2,355 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always fail without the Cloranthy Ring for Artorias. The increased speed of stamina regen is just enough to turn failure into the odd victory.

Fiat Lux

• Red_Bool 19 Mar 2013 08:13:29 1,173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I got to about half his health before a slight dip in my concentration became fatal. Patience indeed... :)
    Plus my wife was watching and making comments like "Why aren't you hitting him? If you don't hit him it will take a long time" and "You're not doing too well are you?" - that doesn't help either ;)
  • Benno 19 Mar 2013 08:51:41 9,835 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:

Plus my wife was watching and making comments like "Why aren't you hitting him? If you don't hit him it will take a long time" and "You're not doing too well are you?" - that doesn't help either ;)
    Haha i was reading that in my girlfriends voice
  • Architect_z 19 Mar 2013 11:00:24 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Benno wrote:
    Red_Bool wrote:

Haha i was reading that in my girlfriends voice
    My girlfriend was saying stuff like that when I was playing the game. But I managed to get revenge. (shes not the gaming type). She started a character on dark souls, and I filmed her trying to kill the Asylum Demon and she was getting very frustrated. The look on her face when I used her own quote against her after she died for the 5th time. "Well you sure suck at this."

I didnt get sex for a week.
    And she was very, very, angry!

Edited by Architect_z at 11:02:37 19-03-2013
  • Cappy 19 Mar 2013 11:39:59 11,887 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Demon's Souls veteran trying this for the first time, no wonder the director apologised, Dark Souls feels really shoddy and unpolished in comparison. Out of the blue frame rate crashes when nothing is even happening speak of practically non-existent optimisation.

It was bad enough fighting the Asylum Demon, I don't see the point to having boss battles if every single one is going to be marred with constant frame rate crashes which keep altering controller latency.

If Epic could sue Silicon Knights due to fragments of remaining Unreal Engine code within Too Human, Bandai Namco and Fromsoft are extremely lucky that SCEJ don't seem to care about the Souls games, because they've definitely utilised work that Sony paid for in Demon's Souls in this game.

I'm not sure if I can even be bothered going any further with Dark Souls.
  • Widge Moderator 19 Mar 2013 11:51:24 13,420 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Strange. I found Dark Souls to be significantly the better game... the only framerate issues coming around Blighttown.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• fiery_jackass 19 Mar 2013 12:30:45 465 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I, like Widge, found Dark Souls the better game; not on every front, but overall. If you give it a chance the magic should happen.

Had the odd frame rate "episode" on many Demons Souls runs as well, for what it's worth.
  • L_Franko Moderator 19 Mar 2013 12:34:47 9,694 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have Dark Souls on the 360 and only ever noticed a frame rate issue with Blighttown. Everything else worked out fine.
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Mar 2013 12:48:57 2,380 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    Demon's Souls veteran trying this for the first time, no wonder the director apologised, Dark Souls feels really shoddy and unpolished in comparison. Out of the blue frame rate crashes when nothing is even happening speak of practically non-existent optimisation.

It was bad enough fighting the Asylum Demon, I don't see the point to having boss battles if every single one is going to be marred with constant frame rate crashes which keep altering controller latency.

If Epic could sue Silicon Knights due to fragments of remaining Unreal Engine code within Too Human, Bandai Namco and Fromsoft are extremely lucky that SCEJ don't seem to care about the Souls games, because they've definitely utilised work that Sony paid for in Demon's Souls in this game.

I'm not sure if I can even be bothered going any further with Dark Souls.
    It uses the Phyre engine, not specific to the Demon's Souls game and I'm sure they paid for it and were careful not to violate the contract they had with SCEJ. The more interesting question is, who at Sony was so careless to let that IP slip through their fingers? - because From was interested in doing a sequel with SCEJ but it didn't work out.

The frame rate is below 30 a lot of times, and yes, for the most part Demon's is faster. Yet on the other hand there are no dynamic shadows in Demon's. AA in Dark Souls but at a lower resolution - trade-offs.
    They admitted it themselves, that they rushed the game and would have required more time or a bigger team. Yet, I still prefer to look at a torn in half Rembrandt than looking at some perfectly framed Pop Art - that's me though.

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 12:50:29 19-03-2013
  • Cappy 19 Mar 2013 13:04:01 11,887 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The issue isn't that the frame rate dips below 30FPS it's the fact that it jumps back and forth moment to moment which plays havoc with your timing in fights.

The optimisation on this game is a mess, you could make Demon's Souls slow down by breaking numerous objects at once but where it counted the game had been optimised, you could fight Firelurker, Maneater, any enemy, with consistent controller response.

Considering that Demon's Souls shipped with bits of Sony code. code from Gran Turismo no less, I'm pretty sure an American Court could have Bandai Namco over the barrel, an examination of Dark Souls would probably uncover plenty of their property within.

All Demon's Souls assets are Sony property, every piece of armour, every weapon, all the animations, it looks like a fair bit of their game is still in Dark Souls.

Edited by Cappy at 13:05:41 19-03-2013
  • RedSparrows 19 Mar 2013 13:09:41 22,241 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, you should probably write to Sony and let them know. They need to be told these things!
  • sport 19 Mar 2013 13:13:57 12,679 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:
    The issue isn't that the frame rate dips below 30FPS it's the fact that it jumps back and forth moment to moment which plays havoc with your timing in fights.
    I can't really make sense of this. Timing is probably the most important thing in beating Dark Souls and I've seen enough speedruns and boss fights to know that framerate is not an issue.
  • Cappy 19 Mar 2013 13:18:00 11,887 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    People also do the same thing with the PS3 version of Bayonetta.

Just because it's possible doesn't suddenly mean the frame rate is consistent.
  • Tuffty 19 Mar 2013 13:18:45 1,534 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've beaten Manus! Fucking hell! Can't decide if that or Khalameet was the hardest boss of all Dark Souls. Should've got an achievement for completing it, but then the satisfaction of beating it is enough!
  • sport 19 Mar 2013 13:23:49 12,679 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

Not arguing about the consistency of framerate, just saying that for most people (including top speedrunners) it isn't enough of a distraction. It's only noticeable in Blighttown really.
  • quadfather 19 Mar 2013 13:24:39 11,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Cappy wrote:

Have to admit, my ps3 version of dark souls is dodgy in places. It'll do one of two things -

1) Frame rate will drop causing me to move erratically
    2) I'll sometimes press attack and nothing happens. Then about 1-2 seconds later, I'll attack. That fucks me up pretty much every time

Doesn't always do it and I can't see any patterns, but it's frustrating all the same

Doesn't happen on the pc version.

Still love the game, but demon's has the edge for me

• sport 19 Mar 2013 13:26:44 12,679 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe it's PS3 then. Haven't had issues on XB360 myself. PC is the best apparently.
  • Architect_z 19 Mar 2013 14:30:28 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nah Demons was better, way harder, combat is more fluent. Boss fights and enemies needed more stratergy etc.

Dark Souls is such a sweet game though. Music is definatley better in Dark Souls, level design is more varied and colourful.

I'm not entirely sure why the framerate issues are so looked down upon. Yeh they are annoying, but its like a slightly less annoying version of lag. It barely makes the game unplayable.
  • Tricky 19 Mar 2013 16:15:10 4,371 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PC is largely fine, even in Blighttown. That said I haven't got all the way in to Blighttown yet, so it may be more a of problem when I get down to the lower levels from the back entrance that I use in Valley of Drakes.

Must get back into this - I took a detour back to the asylum to get the rusted iron ring. However, I ran away from the black knight back to the hall to give myself some space and fell through the bloody floor - got splatted by the stray demon down there almost immediately. Haven't gone back since as I can't face him and I've got 15K souls and about 7 humanity waiting down there for me to collect (plus my PC at work blew up so I haven't been able to play it at lunchtime on the shitty 'pool' laptop that I've been having to use).

By the way, I'm finding Humanity is really rare in this at the moment, even when I had 7 humanity.
  • Architect_z 20 Mar 2013 13:29:26 2,385 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tricky wrote:
    (plus my PC at work blew up so I haven't been able to play it at lunchtime on the shitty 'pool' laptop that I've been having to use).
    You can play Dark Souls at work!?
  • quadfather 20 Mar 2013 14:10:40 11,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tricky wrote:

By the way, I'm finding Humanity is really rare in this at the moment, even when I had 7 humanity.
    Go to the 1st bonfire in the depths with a firey weapon and from the bonfire go right, and kill all the rats on the way. On the way back (or on the way there), use firey weapon on the slimes for green and large tit shards. Put some soothing music on some headphones to relieve the constant runs you do.

You can get around 30 humanity in about 30-60 mins depending how fast you are, and whether you do the slimes or not

You'll need the gold covetous serpent ring + 10 humanity for the 410 discovery rate

• Rhaegyr 20 Mar 2013 14:15:45 1,538 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Open question;

Is it easier to meet up with friends on the PC version or just as difficult as the 360/PS3 versions?

I've finished the game twice on consoles however the urge is rising to play it again, this time on a (newly upgraded) PC.

Trying to convince a mate to buy it but he'll only get it if we can play it cooperatively.

Thanks in advance
  • pepe 20 Mar 2013 14:19:45 20 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have played through the game a couple of times cooperatively with friends on the PC, I don't think it's easier than on the consoles but I've found that if there are troubles getting summoned, you could try logging off and back on at the same time. It's worked pretty reliably for me so far, just remember it takes a few minutes after logging on for the summons to work.
  • Deleted user 20 March 2013 14:56:00
    Tips for playing with friends: http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Online

You’re no more likely to get a player through on PC, PS3 or 360.
  • Page

of 1198 First / Last