Dark Souls Page 722

• Page

of 1195 First / Last

• Dr_Mech 7 Feb 2013 23:38:15 1,003 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I have two builds, Strength/Faith with massive emphasis on the Strength since that was his main attribute through NG, 90% of NG+ and now he has branched into Faith and become a Sunbro. Now there are two bosses where slow and steady will not win the race Gwyndolin which is all about pressing forward constantly while avoiding attacks and Kalameet who has a lot of anti-fatroll moves which you just can't get out of the way of quick enough.

Strength focused is definitely an easier playstyle due to using very hard hitting weapons (the Demon's Greataxe hits for over 600 damage when fully upgraded to +15) and medium or heavy armour which gives you decent defenses when you inevitably get hit.

My Int/Dex caster is more about avoidance and burning down bosses as quickly as humanly possible due to having fuck all armour to keep the weight down to use the Darkwood Grain ring for the better dodge with higher number of invinciblity frames. Early game freaking SUCKS as a squishy caster since your melee damage sucks balls and your spells don't do damage worth a damn.

However once you get high int and the harder hitting spells (Homing soul mass and Soul Spear, unlocked about halfway through the game if you save the right person) they become single target nukes and with a high damage enchanted weapon like an Enchanted Greatscythe your melee.

However a lot of the DLC bosses are ridiculously resistance to magic damage but are vulnerable to physical damage, meaning that high strength builds have an easier time of it unless you want to stack Crystal and regular soul spears which are the only spells to do large amounts of damage worth a damn against them (and they fire off pretty quickly at 40 dex) if you're a sorcerer.

Also I fucking love being a Sunbro, don't know why but helping people out with bosses is immensely satisfying, hell today I helped someone beat Kalameet (after a first failed attempted at helping the guy by trying to fatroll and tank his attacks which just didn't work) and even got the tailcut for the guy!

Edited by Dr_Mech at 23:44:49 07-02-2013
  • Architect_z 8 Feb 2013 09:36:08 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sunbro till I die!

Well actually my Cleric build is a Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Im on NG+ with my Blood-sucking build. I'm gonna join Kaathe for this one and invade peeps in the DLC.

I'd still like to make a mage at some point.
  • quadfather 8 Feb 2013 11:27:55 11,860 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mumtoucher wrote:
    Hey guys long time lurker in this thread, bought this in the steam sale - 25 hours in just killed Nito.....Fuck me what a game, it is incredible. Very keen to get involved in the EG community if poss. Currently rocking a Faith build with +9divine claymore. Any other PC players keen to do some of the DLC?
    Howdy :)

Yup, got the pc version too - add me on steam - quadfather.

I'm in the same boat as TeamHAM - I have a couple of chars on the PC version - one level 80, done some of the DLC, and a new str/faith build, can't remember what level (not much)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 8 Feb 2013 11:30:48 11,860 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    mumtoucher wrote:
    It truly is mind boggling stuff! Just out of interest what are some of the other good builds to try? e.g is a pure strength endurance build viable for those effin huge weapons and armour sets - planning on many play throughs. A game hasn't grabbed me like this since erm................ Never!
    As TeamHAM says, there's loads of viable builds. Personally, I love Dex and Int, but at the moment, I'm doing a strength and faith, just for a laugh :)

Just keep rolling them chars :p

• quadfather 8 Feb 2013 11:32:54 11,860 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Got my old dex/int char out last night actually - in ng+, had a crack at quelaag - mananaged it ok, but had to continuously keep crystal magic weapon up. Forgot how much harder ng+ is :)

• Architect_z 8 Feb 2013 13:48:53 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    None of my characters have any intellegence
  • quadfather 8 Feb 2013 13:51:21 11,860 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I might start a resistance build :)

• Dr_Mech 8 Feb 2013 14:03:51 1,003 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Heh missed the discussion on character appearances.

Caster is Crown of Dusk, Maiden shirt, Maiden Skirt and Wanderer's vambraces which actually works quite well together.

For most of my game my Strength build was pure Elite Knight's set but since I'm in the process of switching to a Solaire cosplay outfit the head and chest are from Solaire while everything else is still Elite Knight's set due to me needing to upgrade the other pieces of the Solaire set to +9.
  • SomaticSense 8 Feb 2013 14:31:24 7,959 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    mumtoucher wrote:
    It truly is mind boggling stuff! Just out of interest what are some of the other good builds to try? e.g is a pure strength endurance build viable for those effin huge weapons and armour sets - planning on many play throughs. A game hasn't grabbed me like this since erm................ Never!
    As TeamHAM says, there's loads of viable builds. Personally, I love Dex and Int, but at the moment, I'm doing a strength and faith, just for a laugh :)

Just keep rolling them chars :p
    Tried loads of builds myself, and for me the dex/int + fast/flip roll and +15 dex weapon build is by far the most enjoyable.
  • Architect_z 8 Feb 2013 14:49:12 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't know. Strength builds are pretty fun, getting one hit with a great hammer on an undead, and see him squished beneath your weapon is pretty damn funny. Also taking out silver knights in 1-hit in Anor is great fun.

I personally have found my dex/faith character is the best. Still wear big armour, but +15 balder side sword wit Darkmoon buff+3 = Pwnage of anything and everything.
  • SomaticSense 8 Feb 2013 14:53:53 7,959 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Any build with the BSS is going to be fairly OP though. The R2 move is insane.
  • Architect_z 8 Feb 2013 15:02:55 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aye, I don't always use it mind. For PvP, I normally use my Occult Claymore+5 (I always have my +15 shotel as a secondary incase I have multiple foes, or a shield whore).

B.S.S. - the R2 is insane, the second thrust attack always catches people out aswell. ^_^
  • SomaticSense 8 Feb 2013 15:13:54 7,959 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rurikhan's ENB build playthrough highlighted to me how ridiculous the Swag Sword's* R2 attack is. His reaction whenever he'd not played in a while was always "wtf?".

*BSS
  • Mr_Sleep 8 Feb 2013 15:43:10 16,849 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I love it when I get invaded and it's really not what people expect. One person invaded at the top of Sen's Fortress and promptly was hit with two crystal soul spears and ran away like a pansy to just before the boss fog in an effort to ambush me. I took him down eventually but he did manage to poison me and almost do me in after the initial hit.

The other one I felt a bit sorry for, he did a bow and seemed quite reasonable and I was just able to overpower him. Sorcery is hilarious for taking on invaders, they never seem to expect it and promptly die fairly swiftly. At worst I generally have a backup of a magic claymore +10, which they also don't expect :-D

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 15:47:03 08-02-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dr_Mech 8 Feb 2013 16:00:57 1,003 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One thing I've learned that I actually didn't know due to invasions was that slow swinging weapons like the Demon's Great Axe can actually change direction during buildup. Hey you guys probably already knew this but I didn't!

Hell if you're quick you can pull a full 180 with it and have caught people out by doing that since they dodge roll from the front expecting me to swing and miss but the axe comes down on them just as they finish their roll behind me.

Also went up against a pure caster...and being Str/Faith build I may only have two attunement slots but most of the time one of those is Great Magic Barrier. I was grinning ear to ear when he cast Dark Bead at me and it did fuck all damage even when unblocked so I just waded into him.

When combining Sunlight Blade with the DGA you hit for ridiculous damage, hit someone mid-dodge and did 900hp worth of damage in one hit and around 400-500 damage on a regular hit.

However I have had my fair share of getting my arse kicked though, especially when trying to melee as my caster and using the Sanctuary Guardian tail or offhanding Golden Tracer and mainhanding Priscilla's dagger due to having no poise...

Edited by Dr_Mech at 16:06:02 08-02-2013
  • Architect_z 8 Feb 2013 16:16:04 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Dr_Mech - Change direction? You mean you can change where your character is facing during the swing?

I love great magic barrier, its easily one of the most useful powers in the game. I love it when people have the moonlight greatsword while you have it on. A backstab or a parry will still do fudge all damage to you.

Putting sunlight weapon on a +15 shotel is hilarious too. Guys in massive armour just leg it away from you.

Edited by Architect_z at 16:20:36 08-02-2013
  • Dr_Mech 8 Feb 2013 16:35:51 1,003 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Not so much changing the direction of the character, until the swing actually fires off they remain facing in whichever direction you started the swing.

During build up (that slow period prior to the actual swing) if you use the stick normally reserved for camera controls it will actually change where the weapon lands when you come out of the buildup part and into the actual swing.

So say you start swinging forward, while the buildup is going on you move the stick so that you're facing 90 degrees left, when the swing actually fires off the weapon won't land infront of you but land at the new point instead.

It only seems to work with slow swinging weapons because most fire off too quickly to be able to adjust the direction.

If ye has Xbox I can add you as a friend and demonstrate to you, it is kind of hard to describe.

Basically it makes big melee weapons a lot more unpredictable.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 16:37:11 08-02-2013
  • Architect_z 8 Feb 2013 16:41:08 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'll give a go, I'm on PS3 im afraid
  • Dr_Mech 8 Feb 2013 16:44:21 1,003 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let me know how it goes so I don't feel like I'm insane, I'll be at work for a brief stint today since I'm covering one of the part-timers so I'll be back on in about 3 hours.
  • Architect_z 8 Feb 2013 17:00:53 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ah i'll let you know when I can. I dn't play much Dark Souls anymore, currently kicking ass on starcraft. But its friday, so i'll be heading pubwards tonight. ^_^
  • Deleted user 8 February 2013 18:38:28
    If anyone needs any help on NG+ Iím about SL130 on PS3. Just shoot me a message and Iíll do whatever you need.
  • mumtoucher 8 Feb 2013 21:04:11 263 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks for all the help guys, quadfather I will add you. Getting my ass kicked in the dukes archives atm, I'm just being a little too cocky I think. lost way too many souls today due to stupid mistakes.

Gonna go heavy str pyromancy on my next run methinks
  • mumtoucher 8 Feb 2013 21:04:45 263 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mumtoucher 8 Feb 2013 21:09:49 263 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Or maybe heavy dex - is that how I get the awesome flip roll?
  • Dangerous_Dan 8 Feb 2013 21:11:19 2,380 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The ninja flip is enabled by wearing a ninja ring.
  • Architect_z 9 Feb 2013 09:28:25 2,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    O I miss the days of flipping like a ninja. Pre-patch, flipping through the crystal caves and the tomb of the giants.
    Those were the days, now every time I roll i basically belly flop into a summersault
  • teamHAM 9 Feb 2013 10:02:22 2,756 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The >100% "roll" is clearly the best.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• quadfather 9 Feb 2013 10:45:15 11,860 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I still ninja about a bit. I just take some armour off.

@mumtoucher - I'll have my pc on later. And yes, dukes archive is not a good place to be cocky :)

• Dr_Mech 9 Feb 2013 11:59:56 1,003 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Realised I got the controls wrong for the change direction during buildup thingymabob, it's not the camera controls but the movement controls that you move while rooted in place during the swing buildup which changes where the weapon lands on swing.

My caster still ninjaflips about due to her light armour.

Also got the additional custscene for Sif and my god does it make that fight heartbreaking. He/She/It kept backing away from me every time I closed the distance as well which made it feel like neither of us really wanted to do this but we both had to...

Especially since I'm dressed like Solaire, Mr Jolly Cooperation himself which somehow made that scene even more depressing.

Also, guess what I saw spawned next to the sorcerer in Chasm of the Abyss, A Vagrant!

Killed the bastard before he could do his AoE magic and I got...1 humanity...what a jip!

Edited by Dr_Mech at 12:04:15 09-02-2013
  • Page

of 1195 First / Last