Dark Souls Page 664

• Page

of 1205 First / Last

• Deleted user 19 December 2012 13:02:18
    All I want is an easy mode. Or same difficulty with five times the checkpoints.
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 13:02:56 12,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FourSevenZero - Aye. I tried far cry 3. But can't hold it down. Same with borderlands 2. I just feel like I'm missing out when I'm not playing dark souls/demon souls. It *still* feels like there's so much more to do before I can move on.

This is turning into an addiction therapy thread :)

Edited by quadfather at 13:03:24 19-12-2012

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• quadfather 19 Dec 2012 13:05:43 12,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    All I want is an easy mode. Or same difficulty with five times the checkpoints.
    I really do know what you mean, but that frustration disappeared for me when the game finally clicked. Same with Demon's.

Easy mode would make it like skyrim tbh - wouldn't be the same game imo.

Could do with a few more checkpoints I suppose, but again, having them spaced out just made me improve my game so I didn't die on the way back all the time.

• FanBoysSuck 19 Dec 2012 13:26:55 1,486 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    FourSevenZero wrote:
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    The butchers knife is a pretty mean strength weapon and scales A at plus 14.

Now that I'm boosting my non core stats, I fancy giving the true great sword of artorias a bash. The great lord great sword has been a bit of a let down, it's not doing much more damage than my plus 15 scaling weapon and is quite a bit slower.
    I been using the Butchers Knife and love it :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" /> I got it to 15 as soon as I could and it's been brilliant fun!

I haven't got Sif's soul yet to make an Artorias sword as I've heard he turns up in the DLC? Anyway I'm assuming everyone's talking about the normal Greatsword? I've never tried it (this is my 1st strength build!) does it need any Dex? I think the GSA needs Dex so maybe I won't be able to use it anyway ...I have no Dex and exclusively using the Butchers Knife, I've only just made a firey MSG for a bit of variety/back-up. I'll check it out later though :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" /> I did fancy going for a massive hammer or the Golem Axe but not sure as I just keep using the Butcher Knife, it's so sweet!

Edited by FourSevenZero at 11:07:31 19-12-2012
    The true great sword of artorias does indeed need dex, as well as int and faith. It's more of a NG plus weapon due to this but is technically the best weapon in the game when it comes to raw damage. Cif does indeed pop up in the dlc, get that done before killing him.

Give those other weapons a go, you may like them. I prefer fast weapons though so I'd personally stick with the butchers knife ;)

For the emperor!

• kinky_mong 19 Dec 2012 13:28:41 10,352 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    To write off even playing Dark Souls because of perceived difficulty is doing it a great disservice.

Even when you hit an apparent brick wall there are plenty of ways to overcome it, do something else in the game so you level up, get someone to join your game to help, explore and find a ridiculously powerful weapon, or many other approaches.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• ZuluHero 19 Dec 2012 13:28:58 4,175 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sure the initial push to the bonfires can be daunting, but once youve opened up all the short-cuts, its not such a scary prospect getting around.

The only place I truly dread is New Londo.
  • Red_Bool 19 Dec 2012 13:32:19 1,173 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    This is turning into an addiction therapy thread :)
    We got Lego StarWars III this weekend (gift from family) and I jumped in to help out my son. Somehow I kept pressing the shield button ("keep your shield UP!" :D) and getting confused when enemies were still hitting me. Same thing happened when I jumped in a game of BF-BC2, until I realised that the shield button is actually the "throw grenade" button in that game :)
  • Big-Swiss 19 Dec 2012 13:33:05 8,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    but the DLC is getting on my nervs pretty bad.
    I love the bosses, and I love the sceneries.
    But hell, I can't go 30 meters without being invaded.

I'm now always summoning 2 guys for every inch of the DLC, but even then some overpowered idiot comes and kills us all.......

I know I know, I could just play it in hollow form on my own, but I don't feel like it.
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 13:47:09 12,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Or you could play in human form, but not connected to the internet?

• Red_Bool 19 Dec 2012 14:00:35 1,173 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Or you could play in human form, but not connected to the internet?
    But then you'll miss all those helpful messages like "Try jumping" at the edge of a cliff :)
  • senso-ji 19 Dec 2012 14:09:21 5,921 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Big-Swiss

What level are you? The DLC is now the prime area for PvP, but this usually means high level (100+).
  • FourSevenZero 19 Dec 2012 14:11:41 82 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck Cheers buddy, the GSA is not for me anyway then!

Yeh I'm normally a dex character too, but fancied something different for the PtDE and I am really enjoying the build (str & faith) I stole the weapon idea from ENB! and just thinking as I've got the strength I should try some massive weapons to twat things with :)
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Dec 2012 14:44:25 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Goodfella If you maxed your endurance and you HP then you either push one of the magic stats (recommended for buffs) or you put points into dexterity.

If an enemy has 400 physical defense and your weapon does 450 damage then only about 50 damage pierce through. (simplified equation)
    So that extra 10, 20, 30 damage can make a big difference.
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Dec 2012 14:49:10 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On the other hand, if your weapon does 450 damage and you add a magic damage buff of 150 to your weapon then results could end up like this:

Your damage:
    450 physical
    150 magic

Enemy defense:
    400 physical
    200 magic

Dealt damage:
    450-400=50 physical
    150-200=below 0 magical

again simplified equation but weak magic buffs only help if the enemy is very vulnerable to magic.
  • Dangerous_Dan 19 Dec 2012 15:15:58 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Should up your damage even further but set priorities. Vitality increases quite alright up to stat 99. If you increase endurance past 40 you can maybe improve your movement speed...

But yeah if you don't want buffs (which may be your undoing in later NGs ;) ) then dex is good thing.
    I personally think it's THE way how to play Dark Souls. Let's get physical...
  • quadfather 19 Dec 2012 15:19:13 12,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Must admit, I like +15's and high end buffs over elemental now

• Dangerous_Dan 19 Dec 2012 15:42:22 2,378 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There are two paths for buffs.
    Either faith buffs or magic buffs.

Magic path:
    Get the crystal magic buff and use the tin crystalization catalyst or for you even better at high strength, get the new catalyst which is forged from a boss soul in the new content.
    At intelligence 50, the crystal magic buff will add over 400 magical damage to your weapon.

Faith path:
    Get the darkmoon blade miracle or if you don't want to be a covenant member get the sunlight blade miracle both are about the same damage wise.

At faith 50 with the darkmoon talisman, the buffs will add about 400 magical damage to your weapon.

Each time you do a New Game you can collect the buffs again and then have 2 or 3 or.... buffs (depending on how many slots you have) in store.

Those buffs are going to save your life in the four kings battle in later NGs where you need to deal huge amounts of damage in a short amount of time before more kings respawn.

As a strength char I'd recommend the faith path. Use great magic barrier miracle to get up close and personal with those dark magic casters in PvP and smash them into the ground. ;)

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 15:43:35 19-12-2012

Edited by Dangerous_Dan at 15:44:51 19-12-2012
  • FanBoysSuck 19 Dec 2012 16:33:52 1,486 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @FourSevenZero Nice to see another ENB fan around. His video's get me through the day at work ;)

Someone mentioned an ultimate strength weapon earlier in the thread that scales S for strength as well as one or two other stats that scale lower. Enchanted something I think. It may be worth trying that out.

For the emperor!

• FanBoysSuck 19 Dec 2012 16:40:30 1,486 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan I'm pumping faith at the moment so I can join the sun bro's on NG++ and get the last miracle. Is it worth boosting it to 30 for the sunlight blade buff? It says in the description that it does lightning damage rather than magic which will only be off limited use comparatively.

For the emperor!

• Big-Swiss 19 Dec 2012 16:40:58 8,119 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm exactly level 100.

I might just kill gwyn and then do the rest of the dlc on NG+
  • Elathron 19 Dec 2012 16:46:56 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck - It's not S in strength sadly. Nothing scales S for strength except the dragon-bone fist (I think :confused: )!!! The Demon Great (insert suffix here)'s scale S in int if they're enchanted, strength then drops to D (I think) but the amount of additional magical damage generated makes the moonlight greatsword look like a card trick. It's also the same for occult and divine, although I'm not sure if they scale up the faith to S, I seem to remember it's a very high A. You'll find that these such weapons are great if you don't have (or use) any buffs but they'll pale against a fully buffed +15. Your choice I guess!!!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• quadfather 19 Dec 2012 16:49:54 12,240 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hang on then, so say I roll a strength based character (not that I've been mulling it over or anything), are we saying that a standard greatsword is the way to go? 15 it, and then use either int or faith buffs?

• senso-ji 19 Dec 2012 16:50:21 5,921 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Demon Great Axe scales S strength when it's above +10. But that's on regular path; no use to you if you want a magic or occult path.
  • senso-ji 19 Dec 2012 16:53:49 5,921 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @quadfather

Those buffs are great but Gold Pine resin also works well if you don't want any magic; greatly increases the chance to stagger, plus it's easy to farm. I was once wrecked in PvP by some bastard coating a +15 halbred with one (another awesome and under rated weapon for strength builds).
  • Elathron 19 Dec 2012 16:53:52 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FanBoysSuck wrote:
    @Dangerous_Dan I'm pumping faith at the moment so I can join the sun bro's on NG++ and get the last miracle. Is it worth boosting it to 30 for the sunlight blade buff? It says in the description that it does lightning damage rather than magic which will only be off limited use comparatively.
    DMB only gets one casting - ever :( as it's a covenant "gift" whereas sunlight blade can be had on each subsequent playthrough. However, I can assure you, DMB scales much better damage the higher level you are in the BotDM. Also, you'll be wanting the DM Talisman as it's the best one in the game?

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Elathron 19 Dec 2012 16:55:23 1,189 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @senso-ji - Never realised it goes that high on the normal scaling! I don't use it though because it's soooooo slllllllooooowwwwww!!!

• Page

of 1205 First / Last