Dark Souls Page 636

• Page

of 1210 First / Last

• Architect_z 21 Nov 2012 17:06:06 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @fiery_jackass - I'm a Darkmoon at the moment, its cool but I just get fail, fail, fail, fail. I figured the Gravelord covenant would probably be a similar kind of deal.
    So Darkwraith it is. Just gotta defeat 4 kings on NG+

How hard can that be?
  • fiery_jackass 21 Nov 2012 17:36:23 485 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Heh, quite. Take it you've not blown the deal with kaathe on the lordvessel

Edited by fiery_jackass at 23:08:19 21-11-2012
  • fiery_jackass 21 Nov 2012 17:37:23 485 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit, spoilers sorry. Will edit, drunkenly, when I get home
  • Architect_z 21 Nov 2012 17:52:04 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hahaha, no, havent beaten O&S yet.

Gotta remember to get the red eye orb this time.
    I seem to remember Kaathe saying, "i'm outta here, you suck at PvP" and slithering off somewhere. And all I had was a few red cracked orbs.

I'm not gonna make the same mistake.

To other people who are/have been Darkwraiths Is it worth getting the sword and armour set?
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 18:47:12 8,691 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really love the Souls community. Such a friendly bunch of people on the whole, and completely regardless of nationality too.

Today for example was genuinely weird. I had a Japanese player invade me and just bowed repeatedely and then started doling out free Soul of a Brave Hero items.I felt bad for him giving a bunch of decent items for no reason so dropped a few Humanities on the ground for him. He tried (but obviously failed being the invader and all) to take out a few AI mobs for me, until I died against the Anor Londo Titanite demon.

Following that I got invaded by a lovely German gamer who stated he didn't want to fight but needed help with Nito.

Properly weird experiences, but it shows that the community in general is amazing and far removed from the likes of most deathmatch games which are all about animosity. Most PvP fights are now punctuated with honourable bows before combat starts, with only a select few using it as an opportunity for an easy backstab.

Edited by SomaticSense at 18:48:53 21-11-2012
  • Architect_z 21 Nov 2012 19:15:36 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @SomaticSense - I started a brand new game once (think it was my second playthrough) and just beat the gargoyles, I was in the lower undead burg, and an invader came out of no where, so I charged at the invader and realised he was waving at me, so I stopped....bowed....and he dropped a fire longsword+5, so I sent him a message saying "thankyou ^_^", he bowed at me, used a black seperation crystal, and left my game.

I was left confused, but ultimatley grateful.
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 19:53:48 8,691 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I never asked for anything, and he just started giving out gifts like it was Xmas without asking for anything in return.

So it seems that there are some nomadic souls out there just wandering the game's servers just to help out everyone else for no other reason than they can. In this day and age of screaming racist CoD kids and their dads, I find that whole notion really uplifting.

Even when there's one trolling message to encourage someone to jump to their death, there's more often than not two or three others branding them a liar or best of all offering a funny sarcastic comment placed just before it.

The Souls community is awesome! All this only adds fuel to my feelings that this may be my favourite game of all time.

Edited by SomaticSense at 19:55:06 21-11-2012
  • Architect_z 21 Nov 2012 19:59:38 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I love some of the messages, just outside O&S (a boss fight to any newbies on the forum) there was a message saying "Imminent beating to a pulp"
    I found that one most amusing.
  • SomaticSense 21 Nov 2012 20:07:47 8,691 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The "Need Wings" one placed before a few of the "Try Jumping" scrawls still makes me smile whenever I see one. As do the "Try Thrusting" or "Try Rear" before those bent over hollow bodies :D
  • fiery_jackass 21 Nov 2012 23:12:45 485 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:
    To other people who are/have been Darkwraiths Is it worth getting the sword and armour set?
    it's pretty good. Good poise/defence: weight ratio, handy for mix and matching although probably largely eclipsed by things like Ciaran's Set and Vamos' Helmet in that regard

re messages: I'm always amazed that there aren't higher ratings for "Amazing chest ahead"/"Try holding with both hands"-style messages near Gwynevere.
  • puddleduck 22 Nov 2012 00:18:34 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Architect_Z

The Darkwraith gaunlets and chest piece are very nice pieces of kit. Eclipsed by Ciaran as firey_jackass said, but better than Ornsteins which a lot of people love.

Edited by puddleduck at 00:18:50 22-11-2012
  • teamHAM 22 Nov 2012 01:23:05 3,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    re: messages, down by the steps from firelink (next to the sheer drop) that lead down to the new londo lift, I saw a sign saying "try jumping", and sure enough right next to the sign was a bloodstain that when clicked revealed some hopeless guy psyching himself up before leaping with intent off the cliff to his doom.

Had to chuckle :)

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• ZuluHero 22 Nov 2012 01:26:13 4,200 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok i took a step back and explored the depths some more, I've farmed all night and got 42 humanities and 4 twin humanities to use as well.

I've also managed to go up to level 52 as well. I'll head back to Anor Londo tomorrow and try again.

Thanks for the moral support everyone! :)
  • teamHAM 22 Nov 2012 01:40:53 3,054 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Good luck. Remember you did Capra Demon, you did Blighttown, you did those dreaded archers in Anor Londo, so you can do anything :)

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• Big-Swiss 22 Nov 2012 09:03:21 8,184 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    also thanks from my side, that 20000 soul door opener was the best investment I did so far. I also did a huge amount of farming then yesterday, and then I will do that Capra demon and try and go on a evening helping other people out.

I know, the game isn't meant for farming, and true gamers don't farm, but I needed that extra bit souls pretty bad. Maybe also because I'm a multitasker, I got a bad ass beat em up build, but I enjoy switching to magic or wonders or play mean bith a bow and poisen or fire arrows.

I will continue to just have fun around undead burg for another night, then beat the capra and then continue to blighttown........
  • Red_Bool 22 Nov 2012 09:57:57 1,174 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Big-Swiss - Spending that 20000 is indeed the best thing you could have done - you'll get them back in no time :) Also, if I can beat the Capra demon, you can too! Also, find a Balder Side Sword and upgrade it as far as you can: it's awesome :)

@ZuluHero - Make sure you get rid of the archer and the two golems first before summoning Solaire, then summon another player and the fight should be a whole lot easier
  • quadfather 22 Nov 2012 10:21:37 12,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Heh, I'm on holiday at the moment and really enjoying it. But I still have to check this thread out daily to see what's been going on. To quote the portal 2 turrets, "im different" :)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Architect_z 22 Nov 2012 10:55:51 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    puddleduck wrote:
    @Architect_Z

The Darkwraith gaunlets and chest piece are very nice pieces of kit. Eclipsed by Ciaran as firey_jackass said, but better than Ornsteins which a lot of people love.
    Hahahaha, dammit I just bought ornsteins set. It just looks so cool! especially in combo with the channelers lower armour and black knight gaunts.
    Grrrrrr.

However I found the funniest armour combo in the game. Artorias' leggings with the iron golums chest piece.
    It makes my character look like a really fat ball with tiny little legs.
    ^_^

Edited by Architect_z at 12:11:46 22-11-2012

Edited by Architect_z at 12:12:13 22-11-2012
  • Architect_z 22 Nov 2012 10:57:26 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @quadfather - How was your trip to New Londo?
  • mcmothercruncher 22 Nov 2012 12:31:04 7,214 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ahh, it's a harsh game, I think farming is entirely justifiable to get though it.
    Indeed, some of the trophies demand that you farm for materials- so farm away!
  • FourSevenZero 22 Nov 2012 13:05:39 82 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I went back to my NG+ game last night got loads of help with Sif and met some v. friendly people. Thanks and sorry if it's any of you (you never know!) who dropped me loads of kit for the fight but I've got no strength and couldn't use them! Took Sif down eventually, rung the 2nd bell and
    made it to the top of Sens, that was a fun run loads of comical deaths, popped into Anor Londo but called it a night when I fell off the rafters for the 5th time, ha I was a bit drunk by then!

Anyway as others have said it's a pleasure playing this game the community is second to none (:
  • puddleduck 22 Nov 2012 13:17:16 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Architect_z

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics remember. If it looks cool, you feel cool, and as a result are infinitely more badass :p

I always liked using Smough's gauntlets or the Gauntlets of Thorns despite them having better options for weight/poise/defence, but they always looked pretty cool. I also find O's armour looks much nicer than the Darkwraith chest piece. In fact O's is probably one of the nicest looking pieces in the game, and it still has some pretty decent stats so there's no harm in using it :) The Dark chest piece only beats it by a couple of points anyway.

Edited by puddleduck at 13:18:03 22-11-2012
  • Architect_z 22 Nov 2012 13:36:13 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @puddleduck - Yeh I know, O's armour is sweet, but i've got it on like 3 of my characters, I fancy a change. I'm gonna play around with a few sets and see what fits. The black/silver knight armours must be good fully upgraded? But they are really boring.

What kind of poise number should I aim for?

Edited by Architect_z at 13:37:06 22-11-2012
  • fiery_jackass 22 Nov 2012 14:14:58 485 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've a massive soft spot for the thorned set: handy anti-BS auto-damage AND the helmet's a bit s&m-looking.

Poise in pvp is all about breakpoints. From memory it's 31, 53 and 76 for the usual attacks (curved, great & ultra-great) . The wikis will have all the info.

Edited by fiery_jackass at 14:28:30 22-11-2012
  • Architect_z 22 Nov 2012 15:55:35 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    53!!!!, how the fooooook am I gonna manage that? Other than by wearing the all too common giants set
  • senso-ji 22 Nov 2012 15:58:11 5,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wolf Ring will help. Everyone wears it in Arena mode.
  • Architect_z 22 Nov 2012 16:05:59 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wish arena mode worked for me, No one ever wants to play with me. :(
  • senso-ji 22 Nov 2012 16:19:55 5,958 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What level are you? A lot of people are carrying their SL 120 chars into it, so you need the 100-200 band. Lower levels you get less combat but it's there. I think forest pvp is still the no 1 area for invasions.

Edited by senso-ji at 16:20:06 22-11-2012
  • puddleduck 22 Nov 2012 16:41:10 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Used the arena for the first time last night, only got one fight in about 30mins though using my high level char. Won it comfortably by killing him 4 times without even losing half a health bar :p

@Architect_Z

The silver knight set is pretty good upgraded, the black knight not so great except against fire. Against fire it's awesome :p

Poise 53 can be achieved using a mixture of any of the heavy armour. Any of Smough, Giant, Stone (which personally I used to love due to looks), and the new one... can't remember what it's called.

Not in terms of poise, but I always forget to mention Solaires chest piece upgraded is actually pretty good.
  • Architect_z 22 Nov 2012 18:15:04 2,385 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    What level are you? A lot of people are carrying their SL 120 chars into it, so you need the 100-200 band. Lower levels you get less combat but it's there. I think forest pvp is still the no 1 area for invasions.
    I'm just about to get to level 120. But i'm torn, I love using my ring of the firstborn miracle boost ring thing, but I want more poise for pvp, so should I use the leo ring instead. (The other ring is favour and protection, and i'm not taking off for anybody, its mine, my own, my precious!)
  • Page

of 1210 First / Last