Valve game.

You heard it here first.

• kinky_mong 18 Jan 2013 15:37:20 10,151 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Wii U Zelda.

Nintendo game.

You didn't hear it from me though, right? *taps nose*

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• glo 18 Jan 2013 15:52:37 3,424 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    There were still new types of enemy being introduced 18 missions in.

But then being the goddamned mainstream donkey that I am, I would say that.
    If I had 800 points to waste I think I would definitely change my gamertag to be 'mainstream donkey'. Its a great name.

Apologies for the slight derail.
  • khaz 18 Jan 2013 16:06:45 2,783 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    khaz wrote:
    Ninja Theory game. I called it several pages ago.
    You're a genius!
    Take note, right here: The Last of Us... Naughty Dog game. I'm calling it.
    Ta for ignoring the rest of my post. :)
  • Dave_McCoy 18 Jan 2013 16:11:06 2,774 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't remember getting SS rating combos in five hits. I could be wrong though, I'll go and play it a bit more and find out.
  • khaz 18 Jan 2013 16:24:44 2,783 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm still playing atm though as in terms of gameplay it's still a huge stepup for ninja theory. The chain is making things far too simple right now though.
  • Darth_Flibble 18 Jan 2013 16:37:53 1,671 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NT have done an excellent job with DMC, its "reboot" without turning into something like koei would crap out. Human skill level seems to be easy but thats want the other difficulties are for. The initial dante design was terrible but the re-design is a lot better,

Added bonus its pissing off twats, who are crying into love pillow that dante does not have white hair
  • khaz 18 Jan 2013 16:41:46 2,783 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not the presentation. It's quite good tbh. It's the combat mechanics I care about and so far I'm not feeling it, still feels lightweight. Need more time with this before I decide. Their previous two games instantly turned me off because the combat/platforming was rubbish.

This one hasn't turned me off instantly so clearly there's something I like about it.
  • King_Edward 18 Jan 2013 17:25:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The whole casual ambition angle is a really annoying argument. Most of the stuff people complain about in that regard were already introduced in DMC4.

- A relatable youth
    - A love story
    - A flatter learning curve and more accessible gameplay.

I won't deny for a second that this lacks the previous games depth (and few other things) but it's really not a colossal change in tone or direction.

At its best it's breathtaking, at its worst it's a decent DMC.
  • Gearskin 18 Jan 2013 19:01:39 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How anyone who enjoys these games cant enjoy this is beyond me.

Up to mission 13 now.

I fucking LOVE this game.

The writing, the locations, the music, the frenetic action.

And anyone that says the game is easy... Well put your money where your mouth is. If its easy you should top theleaderboards on all difficulties.

... You will not.

Fuck. They nailed it. They nailed it BIG TIME.
  • Gearskin 18 Jan 2013 23:16:12 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Done! Nephlim.

Awesome game is AWESOME
  • Syrette 18 Jan 2013 23:16:50 43,340 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caps for EMPHASIS.

• Gearskin 18 Jan 2013 23:20:16 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bigger means BETTER
  • Syrette 18 Jan 2013 23:21:31 43,340 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not always.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/247118

• King_Edward 18 Jan 2013 23:21:51 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:

And anyone that says the game is easy... Well put your money where your mouth is. If its easy you should top theleaderboards on all difficulties.

... You will not.
    That's a pretty extreme expectation. I think you can say a game is easy without literally being the best in the world at it.
  • Gearskin 18 Jan 2013 23:33:56 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is a MASSIVE gap though, between an SSS and the top.

I see comments on youtube videos which show SSS achieved with just a few moves. Ill comment, to say it doesnt amount to much on the overall tally. People jump on me about items and level completion.

Top ranked Xbox player right now has 51 million on mission 1. The 99th ranked player has 20 million.

They both have SSS. They both have 100% completion. The difference is that the top guy has almost three times the number of style points.

You dont get that easily. That takes madskillz. And I get the impression that the ones slamming the combat on videos and forums dont actually have anywhere near the mastery that these guys/girls are displaying. Which, I feel, makes the arguments pretty baseless.

There's plenty of depth here, for those who genuinely want to dig in.
  • King_Edward 18 Jan 2013 23:43:59 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That doesn't say anything about difficulty though. It might say something about the depth of the combat but it does nothing to say that getting from the start to the end of the game on DMD is not as difficult as it usually is.
  • Gearskin 18 Jan 2013 23:49:00 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well technically speaking, a person could drag themselves through DMD with a D rating if they really wanted to.

About halfway through DmC I was taking a lot of damage. On the hardest setting, I think this game will be beyond most.

I dont really see a difference between levels of "bastard hard".
  • King_Edward 18 Jan 2013 23:54:10 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well obviously some people do. :)
  • Gearskin 19 Jan 2013 00:01:12 2,045 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sadists?

Im going to play this through SoS to unlock DmD, but I dont expect to reach the end.

Technicals aside, I absolutely love what Ninja Theory did with the story and characters. To the point that I wanted more cutscenes.

They have to follow this up with a sequel, surely that is on the cards??? They wouldnt take all this flak and make all this effort to stop now, surely?

Edited by Gearskin at 00:01:28 19-01-2013
  • Dave_McCoy 19 Jan 2013 00:13:29 2,774 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm up to Mission 9 on Son of Spada mode. Definitely a little tougher and you certainly don't get an SSS rank combo in 5 hits. I think the game is taking flak for the sake of flak at this point.

It's a great game and am starting to wonder if the people that hate it have actually played the game.
  • King_Edward 19 Jan 2013 00:41:48 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Sadists?

Im going to play this through SoS to unlock DmD, but I dont expect to reach the end.

Technicals aside, I absolutely love what Ninja Theory did with the story and characters. To the point that I wanted more cutscenes.

They have to follow this up with a sequel, surely that is on the cards??? They wouldnt take all this flak and make all this effort to stop now, surely?
    Capcom said they'd work together again for sure. Didn't specifically say a sequel but it seems most likely.

Is it worth pointing out that Itsuno's first stab at DMC resulted in the completely awful DMC2? Whatever anyone thinks of this it has to go down as a better first million stab than that.

Suggests good things for the future.
  • King_Edward 19 Jan 2013 00:44:41 11,454 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:

It's a great game and am starting to wonder if the people that hate it have actually played the game.
    You mean the guys giving it zeros on Metacritic? They haven't.
  • khaz 19 Jan 2013 04:53:36 2,783 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gearskin wrote:
    Sadists?

It's not a sadism thing. But as someone who spent a lot of time with NGB, NG2, Bayonetta, Vanquish, God Hand and DMC 3/4 this one lacks a bit of that final oomph. Not to mention various beat'em ups.

Having said that, I'm still amazed this is a ninja theory game. On repeated play SSS is definitely challenging enough but getting to S is definitely way too easy. While the games I mentioned had steeper learning curves, those curves never plateaued out really. DmC offers no resistance till you start pushing for regular SS+ scores so the combat feels a bit wonky in that sense.

Edited by khaz at 04:58:11 19-01-2013
  • CharlieStCloud 19 Jan 2013 09:05:04 5,202 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    It is no different to the toss-pots in the Wii U thread who think a pile of excrement is better than playing on the Wii U ... of course, they haven't seen the blooming thing, yet alone play it in person.

It's the same situation with DmC unfortunately.
  • FuzzyDuck 19 Jan 2013 20:20:53 4,032 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Rented this yesterday, and having lost a bit of my gaming mojo of late, I decided to get stuck in... and finished it on Nephilim difficulty in one sitting (haven't done anything like that in a while).

Loved everything about it (and I say that after hating all of NT's previous output with a passion) and feel that the real game doesn't actually start until you open up the later difficulties (had a quick pop at SoS mode, that's defo more of a challenge).

Defeated Mundus and thought "thank Christ Virgil and Dante can just get on for once!". How wrong i was!

Kudos to Ninja Theory (and extra kudos for getting the UE to run propperly on PS3, Enslaved was a dog).
  • Dave_McCoy 20 Jan 2013 04:04:37 2,774 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finished Son of Spada tonight. Still thought it was great. The remixed mode was more of a challenge but had a good time beating it. When you thrash a room full of enemies without taking damage it is pretty satisfying.
  • JinTypeNoir 20 Jan 2013 08:35:51 4,380 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Gearskin wrote:
    Sadists?

Capcom said they'd work together again for sure. Didn't specifically say a sequel but it seems most likely.

Is it worth pointing out that Itsuno's first stab at DMC resulted in the completely awful DMC2? Whatever anyone thinks of this it has to go down as a better first million stab than that.

Suggests good things for the future.
    I don't know about that. Devil May Cry 2 was incompetent and boring. It was the type of game I bought, played a few times, really wasn't feeling it and so sold back. It didn't really provoke much of a strong feeling, at least not to me. I have a feeling a lot of people feel similarly blah about it, because it just seems so forgotten - it isn't one of those games that is a target of hate for the fun of it, like this one is bound to become.

However, this provokes rather strong reactions in me quite often. I would rather play something boring and incompetent than something as offensive as this is. I know the narrative is that if you play it, you find out it isn't as bad as you might think or is good. And while it certainly quite as bad as all the backlash anticipated, I still think it absolutely awful.

There were dozens of games like these in the wake of the original's success on the PS2, stuff like Bujingai and Sword of Something I Can't Remember It Was So Bland and Farewell to Moonlight and that awful Koji Igarashi blood game, and I played a lot of it because I loved the return of responsive controlling, fast action games. This is as bad as anyone of those and most of it is because it isn't as good as what its imitating. The monster designs lack flair, and their behavior isn't clever, the situations and environments the game throws you into don't have even the slightest bit of design sense that the good the Devil May Cry games in making interesting combinations to work against, the attacks don't have enough variety in approach to make it interesting to play through the same scenarios in different ways and on and on and on.

A lot of these were problems in 2 as well, but here, the self-awareness and jokey-ness that surrounds the gameplay is so full of douche that it makes my head ache. No matter how many awe-inspiring moments Ninja Theory tries to create with its set pieces and ideas, this thing is like the Transformers of video games. It just makes feel ill. It really reminds of the Brave Fencer Musashi sequel -- a game with some good ideas (on paper, some of this is not bad at all) that comes as incredibly obnoxious and badly conceived.

I guess its a matter of taste, but I don't see how people are coming to the conclusion that Ninja Theory hit it out of the ball park because they didn't quite completely fuck it up.
  • Deckard1 20 Jan 2013 09:14:43 27,770 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If it had a talking cartoon cat and preteen girls flashing their panties I'm sure you'd love it wouldn't you

Edited by Deckard1 at 09:15:44 20-01-2013

Hush you ponce

• Page

of 25 First / Last