DmC (Devil May Cry 5) Page 11

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 January 2013 00:18:52
    I never had a problem with the direction of this game from the very start I never understood the outcry, the gameplay was all that mattered for me.

I made a point to replay Devil May Cry 4 after the demo they released and really get in depth into the fighting system, after that it really was easy to see the difference between the games, the depth of the gameplay Dante offers in that game is really the peak of 3D action games no other game can touch it, so I understand why people have a problem with it.

The fact is DMC is looking for the God of War audience, which is fine, but people shouldn't be so quick to dismiss the people complaining about this game, they have very valid points when speaking about game mechanics.

Just check out some Dante combo videos on Youtube and you will get an idea of the depth DMC4 had gameplay wise.

Edited by DeCoR at 00:19:40 15-01-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 15 Jan 2013 09:30:40 3,264 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    This'll be reduced to 12 or less extremely quickly.

Possibly by the end of the week.
    Really? That's pretty extreme.
    Yeah i dont understand that either - Edge have given it and 8/10 so its continuing its excellent review streak.

I just hope it gets the sales to back it up, Ninja Theory deserve some success IMO.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• King_Edward 15 Jan 2013 09:45:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's just how it is now. I don't think it'll drop that quickly but it'll be under 20 in a month or so.
  • Dave_McCoy 15 Jan 2013 13:34:21 2,770 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was a bit cautious to buy this as I don't always get on with the DMC games, first playthrough DMC4 was a war of attrition for me. So, I've rented it, if I like it I'll buy it at some point down the line.

I loved Enslaved so I'm hoping Ninja Theory do get the sales, which if I get on with it, I will add to.
  • SomaticSense 15 Jan 2013 16:36:11 7,936 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I'm going to have a small bite of humble pie in relation to a couple of comments I've made.

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with the lack of lock-on now. I genuinely felt the demo was fine in this regard, but once the game throws the big armoured guysand those horriblerat things with lightning fast attacks it becomes a bit of a problem. Also some of the grapple sections are way too much of a pain in the arse than they need to be.

It more different than classic DMC than I previously thought when looked at in the context of the full end product, however it is still close enough to the original and is a very good game.

An extremely good game in fact, and arguably deserves to be up there with Bayonetta among this gen's best of the genre. What it isn't though is remotely like God of War. It still plays very much like it came from Japanese shores, which is a good thing.
  • King_Edward 15 Jan 2013 16:42:56 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think there's enough humble pie to go around tbh.
  • B0rked_Gamer 15 Jan 2013 17:07:17 2,481 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Looks like the PC version is the one to get, might sound like stating the obvious but a lot of ports to PC are pretty crappy, not DmC it seems. Think I'll hook my PC up to my 42 inch and use a 360 controller. :D

IGN - When selecting a platform of choice for DmC: Devil May Cry, the PC version is the clear champion. It looks spectacular and annihilates its console counterparts in terms of performance. Not only does it hold at 60 frames per second, but during initial testing it actually hovered around 100 FPS.
    *drool*

When is PC version getting released?
  • B0rked_Gamer 15 Jan 2013 17:17:02 2,481 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    k
  • Tuffty 15 Jan 2013 20:49:51 1,500 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Really not liking how building up the style meter is easier than in past games. I've seen it jump up two style levels in as many moves and all it seems to take is just vary your weapons slightly and don't get hit so much. Getting a SSS in DMC3 made you feel like a god, what kind of worth does this have to offer?

One thing that has annoyed me from reviewers is praise for elements in this game, which were already in past DMC games, as if they're new. When reviewers come out and hail the adaptive difficulty, or difficulty modes like Dante Must Die/Heaven and Hell/Hell and Hell as new features, then it makes you wonder if they even played any of the previous games by comparison.

It's an ok action game. But it's not a true Devil May Cry game.

Edited by Tuffty at 20:50:56 15-01-2013
  • King_Edward 15 Jan 2013 21:02:08 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's about 1,000,000,000 times better than I thought NT were capable of. It may be a little diluted in the combat but judging by there recent output it's better than anything Capcom would've made internally.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 21:11:50
    What is a true Devil May Cry game?

Hours of endless backtracking? Tunnel vision and poor camera controls? The same repetitive puzzles repeated ad nauseam? Emotional shallowness roughly equivalent to lukewarm bowl of half-eaten tapioca? Crywanking over a camp, emotionally stunted metrosexual and his leather chest harness?
  • King_Edward 15 Jan 2013 21:22:47 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's a deep and responsive combat system, challenging enemy designs. Great boss fights, a couple simple break-up-the-fights puzzles, and a survival mode.

Emo's are an optional extra.

Edited by King_Edward at 21:22:57 15-01-2013
  • Humperfunk 15 Jan 2013 21:29:01 1,915 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This Dante is loads better than the original one.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• CharlieStCloud 15 Jan 2013 21:39:59 5,041 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You know, I was on the verge of buying this on my lunch break in town (whilst paying for some bills) and I kind of shied away at the last minute.

Anyway, once I arrived home, I looked up Devil May Cry on my Xbox 360 and found the HD collection - 1, 2 and 3 - on 'Games on Demand' for 19.99 ...

... got that instead!

: )
  • Syrette 15 Jan 2013 22:35:04 43,061 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wait... this is out?!

Lovefilm just told me my copy is on the way. What a pleasant surprise, thought it was a normal Friday release.

I've seen the first released character art and that's it. Total media blackout, but more from indifference than on purpose. However it's got a good buzz going about, I love Ninja Theory's Enslaved, and I need a game with a bit of meat on it right now.

Edited by Syrette at 22:35:18 15-01-2013

• Trafford 15 Jan 2013 22:47:42 5,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Nice game, great visual style.
    Haven't scored higher than a C yet.
  • Benno 15 Jan 2013 23:26:15 9,761 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HurbleBurble wrote:
    What is a true Devil May Cry game?

Hours of endless backtracking? Tunnel vision and poor camera controls? The same repetitive puzzles repeated ad nauseam? Emotional shallowness roughly equivalent to lukewarm bowl of half-eaten tapioca? Crywanking over a camp, emotionally stunted metrosexual and his leather chest harness?
    You should write game summaries.

EG Hearthstone Tournament

• Deleted user 16 January 2013 01:18:10
    @King_Edward The combat system can really be mastered in about 5 hours I really wouldn't call that deep. The rest of the challenge seems to then just learning the various enemy types.

Edited by DeCoR at 02:17:17 16-01-2013
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 01:25:11
    Anybody see Adam Sessler's review on Youtube? He really gets it bang on, the focus on using a single weapon type on harder enemies really reduces your freedom in the combat system. The fact that they add more of those enemies on the higher difficulty levels where you should be seeing more and more complexity in the fight mechanics as you learn more, but you actually see less complexity the more you play the game. That is an absolutely fundamental gameplay design fault that everyone besides Sessler has somehow missed.

Edited by DeCoR at 01:26:31 16-01-2013
  • King_Edward 16 Jan 2013 06:29:48 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I said that about the demo, and EG mentioned it in their review.

It's one of the many things that NT have got wrong, but I'm too surprised and appreciative of what they've got right to really care that much.

Edited by King_Edward at 06:30:02 16-01-2013
  • StarchildHypocrethes 16 Jan 2013 08:20:54 25,406 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuck the moaners, this game's a bit cool.
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 09:28:40 58,782 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its the kind of thing that is guaranteed to get patched out.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• harriselhoff 16 Jan 2013 10:28:08 140 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DeCoR wrote:
    @King_Edward The combat system can really be mastered in about 5 hours I really wouldn't call that deep. The rest of the challenge seems to then just learning the various enemy types.
    What would be deep then? In my opinion 5 hours straight, if you're timing is correct, is a pretty long time to play something in order to hone your skills!
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 12:41:28
    @King_Edward Yeah I somehow missed that in the EG review, glad Rich spotted it but surprised it wasn't a bigger issue for him, especially with the talk of linearity in games these days who wants linearity in an apparently freeflowing combo game.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 12:57:03
    @harriselhoff Well it depends on your perspective of what you want from a game, are you looking for a fighting game, or a story based game. If you're looking for just a fun game to play through once with a decent story and combat its fine.

You could easily play the previous games for 100 hours and not feel you have mastered the game. Jump canceling for instance alone could take many many hours. Some people may think thats pointless, but I guess it just depends if you find value in mastering something that not everybody can do.

Having different fighting styles adds some complexity to the game too and makes you feel like you're constantly learning.

Anyway don't want to seem like I'm coming down to heavy on the game its fine for what it is.
  • SomaticSense 16 Jan 2013 15:48:36 7,936 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tuffty wrote:
    Really not liking how building up the style meter is easier than in past games. I've seen it jump up two style levels in as many moves and all it seems to take is just vary your weapons slightly and don't get hit so much. Getting a SSS in DMC3 made you feel like a god, what kind of worth does this have to offer?

One thing that has annoyed me from reviewers is praise for elements in this game, which were already in past DMC games, as if they're new. When reviewers come out and hail the adaptive difficulty, or difficulty modes like Dante Must Die/Heaven and Hell/Hell and Hell as new features, then it makes you wonder if they even played any of the previous games by comparison.

It's an ok action game. But it's not a true Devil May Cry game.
    Here's a perfect example of the kind of undeserved ott criticism the game has been getting from people who should know better. Reactive emotional responses which place far too much importance on things that barely matter in the great scheme of things.

The complaint about the easier SSS ranks is perfectly valid. But I hardly think the reviewers have been stating the diff modes were genuinely new, it clearly is a true DMC game (what were you expecting, DMC 3.5 after all these years?) which even has Kamiya praising for it's respect of the previous games, and is obvioulsy more than an "ok" action game. An example of an "ok" action game is Dante's Inferno, which DmC is several classes above in sheer quality.

You don't like it, no one is refuting that. But at least give fair criticism instead.

Edited by SomaticSense at 15:49:26 16-01-2013
  • SomaticSense 16 Jan 2013 15:51:46 7,936 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DeCoR wrote:
    Anybody see Adam Sessler's review on Youtube? He really gets it bang on, the focus on using a single weapon type on harder enemies really reduces your freedom in the combat system. The fact that they add more of those enemies on the higher difficulty levels where you should be seeing more and more complexity in the fight mechanics as you learn more, but you actually see less complexity the more you play the game. That is an absolutely fundamental gameplay design fault that everyone besides Sessler has somehow missed.
    And here's an example of fair, thoughtful criticism.
  • Tuffty 16 Jan 2013 16:48:47 1,500 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Here's a perfect example of the kind of undeserved ott criticism the game has been getting from people who should know better. Reactive emotional responses which place far too much importance on things that barely matter in the great scheme of things.

The complaint about the easier SSS ranks is perfectly valid. But I hardly think the reviewers have been stating the diff modes were genuinely new, it clearly is a true DMC game (what were you expecting, DMC 3.5 after all these years?) which even has Kamiya praising for it's respect of the previous games, and is obvioulsy more than an "ok" action game. An example of an "ok" action game is Dante's Inferno, which DmC is several classes above in sheer quality.

You don't like it, no one is refuting that. But at least give fair criticism instead.
    If you check a post I made a few pages back I did say that if the game gets 8's or 9's on it's own merits from reviewers and players then it should deservedly get so. I never said it's a bad game and nobody will argue with you about it being better than Dante's Inferno, make no mistake. But in comparison to earlier DMC games? It doesn't quite hold up.

Kamiya said it was 'unique', which you could interpret as being quite non-commital about it either way. He's also said numerous times that he doesn't care about the series anymore and that fans should stop asking him about it.

Again, not begruding that it's a bad game, but compared to 3 or even 4, then, to me, it's not as satisfying to play nor does the reboot aspect of it do anything for me.
  • Page

of 25 First / Last