BioShock Infinite - Irrational games Page 64

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• ibenam 29 Apr 2013 23:34:24 1,272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JinTypeNoir
    [img]
    http://ak4.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/1143457/preview/stock-footage-businessman-with-finger-on-lips-a-rise-eyebrow-secrecy-humor.jpg[/img]
  • thedaveeyres 1 May 2013 09:17:16 9,710 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished this last night. Hands down, top 5 game of all time for me. If you're thinking of not seeing it through, my advice would be to do yourself a favour and finish it.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• icantremember 18 May 2013 08:40:11 1 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Finished it last week, easily one of the best games i have played in a long long time. Especially the story, one clever, emotional story.
  • FuzzyDuck 20 May 2013 05:21:24 3,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Gah, decided to hop back into this last night (or ealier, bah insomnia) and start a 1999 playthrough. Died 8 or 9 times at the Montegomery Residence, so ended up turning it off in frustration.

Seeing as I'm really early and have only one upgrade so far, any advice?
  • Dirtbox 20 May 2013 05:36:51 76,329 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Get better at games.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• FuzzyDuck 20 May 2013 06:06:49 3,537 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks DB, I must +1/Like/Tweet that post, such is its sagely wisdom.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 May 2013 06:08:22 11,118 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tip 1: NEVER revive, EVER!
    You need money to buy vigor and weapon upgrades.
    Restart the checkpoint every time.

Tip 2: Loot EVERYTHING!
    All safes, all locked rooms, all fallen enemies.
    EVERYTHING! If you see Gear, grab that too!
    Gear is an absolute MUST!

Tip 3: Know your vigors.
    For general crowd control, Bucking Bronco is extremely useful, especially when upgraded.
    For ghosts, an upgraded Charge turns an extremely difficult fight into a 15 sec cake-walk.
    For Handymen, an upgraded Murder of Crows is vital. In all of 1999 mode, he was the biggest problem for me.
    An upgraded Possession can also be a godsend when you're low on health but have plenty of salts.
    My upgraded Return to Sender was probably my most used and abused vigor for heavy hitters. Best vigor right here!

Tip 4: Gear is extraordinarily powerful.
    If you use Charge, there are a few Melee gears that make you an absolute wrecking ball. I took down the siren in literally about 5-10 seconds on 1999 mode.
    There's also Winter Shield which basically makes you invincible near skyhooks.

These tips alone made my 1999 run of the game SUBSTANTIALLY easier than my Hard run, which on the very last battle I had to bump down to Normal to clear (because of poor use of my upgrade money throughout the game)...

Saving up all that money allowed me to fully upgrade 6 vigors and 4 weapons.
    I personally recommend the Volley Gun, the Machine Gun and the Shotgun.

Good luck fuzzy! d-(^_^)

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Telepathic.Geometry 20 May 2013 06:11:26 11,118 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Any more specific advice needed? Ask here. I'm by no means a twitch shooter expert, in fact, I'm pretty bad at FPS games, but I managed to clear 1999 mode with relative ease. The 2nd Handyman was the only fight where I had any trouble really.

If you prepare, you'll find this run easier than or as easy as (Normal+Hard)/2...

• Widge Moderator 20 May 2013 07:51:57 12,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I don't know if it will help but Possession with the two reduced Salts upgrades turned it into a most useful tool.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• mikew1985 20 May 2013 08:11:57 12,047 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wish I had been able to afford any of the vigor upgrades.
    Playing on hard meant I was often very low on cash and only upgraded a couple of the vigors.

Weirdly hard is only sort of hard at the beginning, easy in the middle and then way more hard at the end.

Think I had to play the Zeppelin fight 3 or 4 times before I got it.

Edited by mikew1985 at 08:12:07 20-05-2013
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 May 2013 08:37:51 11,118 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Mike: Do you mean that final fight? If you do, fair play man. I had to bump down to Normal to beat it, after failing like 20 times, literally. I had foolishly upgraded all of my weapons and most of the vigors a bit, which is pointless. Pick three or four of each and fully upgrade those fuckers and they are beasts.

If I had to pick 4 vital vigors, I'd say (in order of awesomeness) Return (for gang rape situations), Crows (for Handymen), Bucking Bronco (for mobs and breathing room) and Possession (for Heavies).

• Telepathic.Geometry 20 May 2013 08:38:11 11,118 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Post deleted

• mikew1985 20 May 2013 08:45:29 12,047 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry

Yea that's the one. Dropping down difficulty popped into my head but I couldn't do it after playing all that way on hard I just wasn't going to let myself off!

I think my problem was I upgraded a load of weapons as I generally had enough cash to buy a couple of them, but not enough for a vigor upgrade.

It happened to me on one or two occasions that I had 1500+ and just wouldn't see a vigor machine, so for fear of losing my cash via death I'd splurge it on weapons upgrades.

Edited by mikew1985 at 08:46:43 20-05-2013
  • Telepathic.Geometry 20 May 2013 08:51:08 11,118 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Snap. I generally spent my money on the most expensive upgrade that I could afford, typically weapons. >.< The vigors are costly, but man are they worth it!

I would actually guess that with no upgrades, the last level might actually be impossible on 1999 mode. Or virtually impossible...

• mikew1985 20 May 2013 09:07:41 12,047 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Each time I failed it I failed it hard but the time I beat it, I did so with nearly a third of the sheild energy left.

I think there is some form of skill that can be applied, I just think it is a bit obtuse and very hard to know what you should be doing as it appears there is threat coming from absolutely everywhere.

Having said that, I think I agree that it would likely be nigh on impossible.

Those Patriots are a pain in the arse.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 21 May 2013 10:37:26 11,118 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know if the DLC for Bioshock 1 as well as the game itself is included with the US version of Bioshock Infinite? And if so, how do you get at it...

• Widge Moderator 21 May 2013 12:00:48 12,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Each time I failed it I failed it hard but the time I beat it, I did so with nearly a third of the sheild energy left.

I think there is some form of skill that can be applied, I just think it is a bit obtuse and very hard to know what you should be doing as it appears there is threat coming from absolutely everywhere.

Having said that, I think I agree that it would likely be nigh on impossible.

Those Patriots are a pain in the arse.
    I generally got a possessed minion to act as a distraction so I could rampantly grenade launch them in the back/face.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Armoured_Bear 22 May 2013 10:29:43 8,746 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've played the first hour or two of this and have mixed feelings.
    Looks very pretty but the stupid overuse of bloom is annoying, enjoying the atmosphere but the gameplay isn't doing much so far, the turrets make me want to kill puppies, it's all about constant shooting so far, not much of an exploration vibe at all.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Commander Keen 22 May 2013 11:22:01 718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Looks very pretty but the stupid overuse of bloom is annoying, enjoying the atmosphere but the gameplay isn't doing much so far, the turrets make me want to kill puppies, it's all about constant shooting so far, not much of an exploration vibe at all.
    Thing is, I got a bit confused by the game when I first played it because it *felt* like it wanted to be an RPG and full of exploration and the like. I made peace with the game when it became obvious that it's "just" a very pretty FPS with a decent storyline and a few mechanics borrowed from RPGs.

Someone wrote an article recently (I can't remember where) complaining that there was too much PSing in FPSs these days and it kind of summed up the only criticism I have of the game, but I suppose that's what it's meant to be and has fallen victim of the fact that it's done the extra stuff so well...
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2013 13:02:20 8,746 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Thing is, I got a bit confused by the game when I first played it because it *felt* like it wanted to be an RPG and full of exploration and the like. I made peace with the game when it became obvious that it's "just" a very pretty FPS with a decent storyline and a few mechanics borrowed from RPGs.

Someone wrote an article recently (I can't remember where) complaining that there was too much PSing in FPSs these days and it kind of summed up the only criticism I have of the game, but I suppose that's what it's meant to be and has fallen victim of the fact that it's done the extra stuff so well...
    PSing??

• Commander Keen 22 May 2013 13:10:26 718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes. Too much of the pew pew pew. :)
  • Arcturas 22 May 2013 13:14:29 123 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Telepathic.Geometry There is'nt any DLC for Bioshock 1. Its 2 that has DLC - Minervas Den (which is ace), Protector Trials and some multiplayer stuff.

Edited by Arcturas at 13:15:20 22-05-2013
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2013 13:25:31 8,746 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Yes, that's how it feels so far.
    I'll continue, hopefully I can lessen the motion sickness too.

• smoothpete 22 May 2013 13:32:48 31,017 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Get a smaller TV? ;)
  • Armoured_Bear 22 May 2013 14:08:36 8,746 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Get a smaller TV? ;)
    Hmmmm, na :-)

Maybe I can fanny about with FoV levels or something

• ecureuil 22 May 2013 14:51:41 76,015 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's really watered down and is basically just an FPS now. Shame really but the game is so damn good anyway, and the combat is great that it doesn't really matter.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 22 May 2013 15:24:54 11,118 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Arcturas Cheers for the response man, but there are three sets of trophies in my Bioshock trophy list,

1. The 'i' in Team,
    2. A Shocking Turn of Events,
    3. Worlds of Hurt.

Is that in a new game plus mode or something I wonder?

• smoothpete 22 May 2013 15:28:05 31,017 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's really watered down and is basically just an FPS now. Shame really but the game is so damn good anyway, and the combat is great that it doesn't really matter.
    I'm playing the first Bioshock, and that is just an FPS too
  • nickthegun 22 May 2013 15:57:44 55,848 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think a lot of people confuse 'backtracking' for 'exploration'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• smoothpete 22 May 2013 16:01:14 31,017 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Perhaps. There is an awful lot of "exploration" so far.
  • Page

of 78 First / Last