Visiting old haunts on Google Earth (Anyone from Northampton?)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 9 August 2010 23:06:52
    Ah, Google Street view. A way to revisit where you used to live as well as being useful outside of being bored on a Monday evening.

Been revisiting Northampton. Fuck knows, that place was miserable for the 10 or so years I lived there, it's an absolute shitheap now. I love that nearly all the photo's were taken in miserable weather. Nearly everyone on the street looks like a cunt.

Roadmenders - what happened? Looks like a club! :(

The old Cinema - JESUS ARMY?! WTF!!!

Buddies - it's still open! Only reason to go to Northampton!

The Garden Cafe - still there too. Phew.

Spinadisc - :(

Greyfriars - still one of the worst things ever.

Lift Tester - they not knocked it down yet? Wow.

Town planning have clearly also gone nuts. So many horrendous new builds and estates. Ugh.

The beer factory - bet everything still smells of hops if the wind blows the wrong way.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2010 23:14:44
    Change your damn profile pic man!
  • Deleted user 9 August 2010 23:22:08
    Done!
  • Deleted user 9 August 2010 23:23:07
    :D

Well now I feel bad! :(
  • HittenMitsurugi 9 Aug 2010 23:25:09 204 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thought I'd have a gander at my old haunts in Brighton (lived there for around three years as a kid). Street view really is quite ace, saw my old house and had a peek around the places we used to play out. Lovely stuff.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2010 23:27:48
    I used to regularly holiday around La Cinque Terre in Italy. Can't quite believe google have a lot of the streets mapped out and the cliff roads!

It's well funny how things click when you see them again, even if its just in these photo's via street view.
  • altitude2k 10 Aug 2010 11:30:19 4,407 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm from Northampton! Town centre has always been a dump, but the outskirts are a great place to live. I'm in a village just outside and love it.
  • Murbal 10 Aug 2010 11:39:05 22,259 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Born in Northampton (still have relatives there)... Memories of shopping in the Grosvenor Centre, or going to the the Derngate. Footy at the county ground and Sixfields, rugby at Franklin's Gardens...

and this.
  • Ged42 10 Aug 2010 11:48:08 7,736 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a little scary how little my hometown has changed, like it's stuck in a time bubble or something.
  • Deleted user 10 August 2010 14:48:28
    @Murbs - What. The. Fuck. AWESOME!

Ah, the Derngate. And the dull as hell Grosvenor Center.
  • altitude2k 11 Aug 2010 10:19:08 4,407 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

The council has green lit what will effectively be systematic demolition and reconstruction of the town centre over the next 8 years. Including the (not so "dull as hell", more like "gross as hell") Grosvenor Centre.
  • Craig0702 11 Aug 2010 11:22:38 2,178 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I often have a peruse around where I used to live (I've only moved a few miles away) on Google Streetview. Usually around the streets you wouldn't want to walk alone...everyone also looks like a cunt.

Surprised the Google car left with wheels tbh!
  • nickthegun 11 Aug 2010 11:29:51 60,118 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Due to unforeseen circumstances, I was born in Northampton. I lived there for a mammoth 72 hours. It pisses me off to this day that I keep having to put that shite hole down as my place of birth.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• glaeken 11 Aug 2010 11:31:13 11,197 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am always checking up on places I no longer go to on Google maps. It's great seeing somewhere you used to live without actually having to go there. I just wish it were all real time so I could remotely stalk people I used to know a little better. Of course real time is never going to happen but it is funny seeing a car I sold 2 years ago still sitting on my drive. I wonder just what their update frequency will end up being for all this.
  • StaticKing 11 Aug 2010 21:53:49 300 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:

Me too, me too! I escaped about 13yrs ago, but the loss of Spinadisc is still raw...
    I can understand the hate for certain aspects of the place; but let's be honest, it's no worse than any other market town in the land. And it's near-ish to London...
    /maybe slightly kidding self, as thinking of moving back there with family and commuting to London every day.
  • warlockuk 11 Aug 2010 21:55:45 19,178 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Every time I went to Northampton from MK I thought that it should've been nuked from orbit.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Slarti42 11 Aug 2010 22:23:18 69 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember an april fools one year that the vats at the calsberg brewery had burst flooding the surrounding area. That was the height of N'pton comedy! (Escaped about 15 years ago, not planning on returning anytime soon!)
  • Deleted user 12 August 2010 11:50:35
    Is there anyone proud to have come from/been born in Northampton?

There must be. I haven't met them yet.

@StaticKing - Northampton during the metal/grunge years had a real vibe to it back then, mainly emanating from the Roadmender's excellent gigs, local pubs putting on local bands and Spinadisc's hub. It looks like it's gotten well chavved up since then. Not that there wasn't a chav problem before, just all the aggression got channelled into the metal scene. Now it's all gone "street" it's really fucking awful. :p
  • Alastair 12 Aug 2010 11:57:16 15,879 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Prior to our final year at uni one of my mates who was doing Brewing and Distilling got a summer job at the Carlsberg brewery. It was the summer of 1994.
    Went up there for a night out with him, my bro and another uni mate. Can't remember too many of the places we went to though, there was a 'hotel' that had a very popular bar/disco.

Wow, it's all kinda hazy. Best memory is the DJ in the hotel/bar/disco giving the shout out "Is there anyone here from Kettering!!!"
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next