Any NFL fans? Page 14

• Page

of 35 First / Last

• Feanor 20 Oct 2011 21:19:11 14,154 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Forget the end of the season, it only took five games for McNabb to lose his starting job.

Vikings officially name Ponder their starting QB

With the Vikings off to a miserable 1-5 start, coach Leslie Frazier officially announced on Wednesday that Ponder is taking over for veteran Donovan McNabb for the remainder of the season.

"It does not mean that I am giving up on the 2011 season," Frazier said. "The decision was made purely based on what would give us the best chance to win on Sunday. That's why the decision was made. I didn't feel or sense that staying status quo was going to get us a win on Sunday."

Ponder joins Carolina's Cam Newton, Cincinnati's Andy Dalton and Jacksonville's Blaine Gabbert as rookie starting quarterbacks in the league.

The decision hardly came as a surprise. McNabb has struggled mightily for most of the season in this new offense and has never looked in rhythm while throwing from the pocket.

The Vikings passing offense ranks 31st in the league and McNabb ranks 29th in the league in touchdowns, 26th in yards passing and 19th in completion percentage. Frazier declined to give him a vote of confidence after a 39-10 loss in Chicago on Sunday night.

I have to give you credit, Captain America. When you're wrong, you're not just slightly wrong, you're spectacularly, hilariously wrong.

Captain_America wrote:I can think of a few teams that with McNabb could go deep in the playoffs. Niners are ready to win but have no consistent QB play, Arizona have talent but again no QB or the best option... Minnesota. Put him there and that's a 12/13 win team.
  • ronuds 20 Oct 2011 22:03:54 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    HA! Couldn't have been farther off the mark there.

McNabb just doesn't have it anymore - ever since he was traded from Philly. I don't know if he's lost the spirit or is too dopey to learn the playbook, but his days as a starting QB have likely come to an end.
  • JBlokeUK 21 Oct 2011 00:34:11 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Did anyone see the way Julius Peppers chased down McNabb and literally pushed him over for a sack as McNabb was scrambling in the game against the Bears?

Was actually quite embarassing for McNabb. He has slowed down a lot and is trying to be a pocket passer, something he's never been.

I like it when he's angry.

• ilmaestro 21 Oct 2011 01:17:22 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    McNabb was a pocket passer for at least the last six years of his time in Philly, and was anywhere from above average to very good at it imo. He is unfortunately completely over the hill now, of course.

• JBlokeUK 21 Oct 2011 03:59:36 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    McNabb was a pocket passer for at least the last six years of his time in Philly

I completely disagree. McNabb was nothing like the likes of Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc. McNabb did a lot of his good work outside of the pocket. How many times did you see Manning and Brees take off on a run if they couldn't find an open receiver? Even the commentator at the Vikings vs Bears game on ESPN correctly mentioned that defenses much prefer McNabb in the pocket, where he seems to stay a lot more now than he used to.

I do agree with you though that he is a bit over the hill now, saying that he would make a good number 2 QB at this point in his career.

• ilmaestro 21 Oct 2011 04:32:23 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course, McNabb retained the option of using his legs if absolutely necessary, but it was very much a case of "last resort" after his first five years or so in the league, partly because of a build up of injuries, partly because that is the more effective way to play QB in the NFL with the way the game is played these days.

• Captain_America 21 Oct 2011 09:49:24 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Forget the end of the season, it only took five games for McNabb to lose his starting job.

Vikings officially name Ponder their starting QB

With the Vikings off to a miserable 1-5 start, coach Leslie Frazier officially announced on Wednesday that Ponder is taking over for veteran Donovan McNabb for the remainder of the season.

"It does not mean that I am giving up on the 2011 season," Frazier said. "The decision was made purely based on what would give us the best chance to win on Sunday. That's why the decision was made. I didn't feel or sense that staying status quo was going to get us a win on Sunday."

Ponder joins Carolina's Cam Newton, Cincinnati's Andy Dalton and Jacksonville's Blaine Gabbert as rookie starting quarterbacks in the league.

The decision hardly came as a surprise. McNabb has struggled mightily for most of the season in this new offense and has never looked in rhythm while throwing from the pocket.

The Vikings passing offense ranks 31st in the league and McNabb ranks 29th in the league in touchdowns, 26th in yards passing and 19th in completion percentage. Frazier declined to give him a vote of confidence after a 39-10 loss in Chicago on Sunday night.

I have to give you credit, Captain America. When you're wrong, you're not just slightly wrong, you're spectacularly, hilariously wrong.

Captain_America wrote:I can think of a few teams that with McNabb could go deep in the playoffs. Niners are ready to win but have no consistent QB play, Arizona have talent but again no QB or the best option... Minnesota. Put him there and that's a 12/13 win team.

I'm happy to admit I Was wrong about McNabb. Slightly in my defence though I was talking about the vikings team a year ago when you still expected them to not release their starting left tackle, lose their number 1 receiver in free agency, the defence could actually make a stop and no one could run the ball on them .

Agree that McNabb is over the hill though, his last season in Philly was solid so I am surprised he declined so quickly. I still think he'll go into the HoF though. Not first ballot or anything but he'll end up in their I reckon.
  • Clive_Dunn 21 Oct 2011 10:55:43 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think it's all McNabb, that Vikings team is the worst coached in the league. Couple that with a serious lack of WR's able to run an accurate route and you are just asking for trouble.

I thought Ponder looked far from ready in his mop up time sunday night, it's one thing completing a few slants, another thing to generate a consistent threat from the passing game. Teams are going to stack the line, blitz like crazy and dare him to throw downfield.
  • JBlokeUK 22 Oct 2011 00:03:03 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The ESPN commentators were raving about Ponder because he happened to complete a few passes, against a defense that were playing with a 20 point lead.

• Captain_America 22 Oct 2011 00:11:59 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pretty rough first game as well against the Packers. Especially when your defence is playing like the Vikings is.
  • ilmaestro 22 Oct 2011 02:22:50 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ponder didn't look even remotely like the answer on the plays where Chicago decided to actually defend (not that anyone should have been expecting him to), the Vikes are going nowhere this season just from benching McNabb.

• ronuds 24 Oct 2011 14:39:40 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, whether or not Ponder's the answer, you can't complain about how he played yesterday. He didn't have particularly impressive numbers, but they competed and had a chance to beat the Superbowl champs.

It'll be intersting to see how he does vs. a team they have a chance against.
  • Clive_Dunn 24 Oct 2011 14:50:47 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Depends, did they keep into the game because of Ponder or despite him ?

I'd still question the Vikes coaching though, AP was ripping the Packers but the Vikings seemed to be intent on trying ( and failing ) to establish a short passing game.
  • ronuds 24 Oct 2011 15:02:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, it didn't hurt that AP ran for 170+ yards, but Ponder made some good throws.

I can't blame him for what happened on his last drive - he had absolutely no protection and was running for his life the moment he snapped the ball.

Either way, in his first ever start they did a helluva lot better than they had done with McNabb.
  • Clive_Dunn 1 Nov 2011 12:00:53 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well I think we've categorically proved that Christian Ponder is a better QB than Tim Tebow. I'm not sure that's saying much, but Tebow was historically bad in that game vs the Lions. He can't even throw the ball with anything like a spiral, god knows how he's going to cope with wind and rain later in the year.
  • ronuds 1 Nov 2011 12:50:00 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Players and coaches around the NFL are calling Tebow an embarrassment and a joke.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-silver_morning_rush_tebow_struggles_103111

He wouldn't be playing if the Broncos weren't already terrible and the fans weren't delusional. But... who knows - next week he could win and everyone's calling him a hero again.
  • bef 28 Dec 2011 15:31:08 1,628 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How do you guys watch matches? I'm thinking of trying out the online NFL tv network offer. The only thing I don't see is if I will get regular matches or just NFL news and talkshows... They mention monday night football, but is this all?

I live in the Netherlands btw.
  • ilmaestro 29 Dec 2011 02:54:01 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    tbh if you don't have a TV station that broadcasts NFL in your country I would just use tenyardtorrents or something.

If you watch college football, espnplayer is ace, not sure if it is available in your country though.

• bef 29 Dec 2011 08:17:00 1,628 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ilmaestro Ah. Too bad... I don't like the idea of having to download matches. I don't mind paying premium for a (semi) live experience...
  • Clive_Dunn 8 Jan 2012 22:00:29 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1 drive in, the Broncos should bench Tebow now. The whole NFL has worked out how to play him and it's painful to watch.
  • LionheartDJH 8 Jan 2012 22:14:00 19,398 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I watched the Giants game earlier, pretty good even though Atlanta didn't seem to turn up at all. Good solid defense and some great attacking moves, looking forward to seeing their game against the Packers.

She dives for cheese pasties

• JBlokeUK 8 Jan 2012 22:38:46 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Clive_Dunn wrote:
    1 drive in, the Broncos should bench Tebow now. The whole NFL has worked out how to play him and it's painful to watch.
    Then he throws 2 bombs and it's a TD!

Not a fan of Tebow at all though. The media go nuts over him yet all he does is run. His throwing technique is awful and it's more the Broncos defense keeping them in games than Tebow.

• Captain_America 8 Jan 2012 22:54:36 429 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    JBlokeUK wrote:
    Clive_Dunn wrote:
    Then he throws 2 bombs and it's a TD!

Not a fan of Tebow at all though. The media go nuts over him yet all he does is run. His throwing technique is awful and it's more the Broncos defense keeping them in games than Tebow.
    Offensive line has been playing fantastic as well. All his big throws are because the line give him all day to throw it.
  • ilmaestro 8 Jan 2012 23:05:27 32,407 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lionheart: The Falcons just aren't that good. It's like how Tebow just wins. :)

• Clive_Dunn 8 Jan 2012 23:07:03 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fuck me, it's like watching a shitty college team. I hate the Steelers but at least they are trying to play pro football, albeit with a QB who clearly can't plant his foot due to injury.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Jan 2012 23:08:30 25,673 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hah, just popped in to see if anyone else was watching :)

Lord Almighty, I think Tebow may actually be blessed.

I've never seen such ugly throws be so effective!
  • JBlokeUK 8 Jan 2012 23:30:12 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Steelers D is too busy trying to stop the run which is leaving the Broncos receivers wide open.

• StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jan 2012 01:01:40 25,673 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's always the way. The game I pick as the worst matchup of the weekend turns out to be the most entertaining.

Been a cracking game, this.

So...overtime! Woooo!
  • JBlokeUK 9 Jan 2012 01:07:48 2,309 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Are you fucking kidding me!?

• StarchildHypocrethes 9 Jan 2012 01:08:20 25,673 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tebow Time! :D
  • Page