The **OFFICIAL** Starcraft 2 Thread Page 53

• Page

of 54 First / Last

• disusedgenius 15 Mar 2013 22:03:43 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, easily my weakest race. Out of all the races they seem to punish low APM and bad multi-tasking the most. Generally I just find it very hard to manage production cycles with them - I always find myself floating a huge amount of resources and leaving myself completely unprepared when my attacks fail.

Generally when I'm in engagements I can do pretty well. I think my macro brain is just hard wired to Zerg now. :(

Next time I'll play some Protoss I think, should have a bit more success with them.
  • disusedgenius 15 Mar 2013 22:10:19 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    I've always found Terran and Protoss fairly straightforward but Zerg to be very confusing. Conversely people I know are the complete opposite and find Zerg really easy but Protoss a pain.
    They all have their 'issues'.

Managing SCVs in Terran can be tricksy and their units are very positional. You always have to plan your production ahead as you have to wait for them to build. Putting on pressure generally requires splitting focus a lot and not putting on any pressure is usually a death sentance - unless you have a huge amount of patience.

Protoss can have a probe build an entire base, which helps. Warpgates mean that your production is end-loaded as the time is spent recharging rather than producing. On the other hand that requires you to go back to a Pylon to build anything - whereas the other races can do that offscreen.

Zerg is the most reactive of the lot and remote macroing is the easiest (being able to group eggs etc). Unfortunately you have to manage your larvae levels, tumours and whatnot, which splits your focus a lot as well.
  • disusedgenius 15 Mar 2013 22:17:43 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah, I was going to continue to suggest that, as a very reactive person I'm the most comfortable with Zerg first and foremost, then Protoss because of the warpgate mechanic, then Terran due to the need for actual, you know, planning.

I guess I just kept on typing and forgot to make the actual point. :)
  • disusedgenius 15 Mar 2013 22:20:37 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, and MLG is just starting, for those who may care.

Edited by disusedgenius at 22:20:47 15-03-2013
  • disusedgenius 15 Mar 2013 22:26:57 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They're certainly very different to pretty much any other RTS race I can think of. I do miss all the morphing tech from Brood War though, that was a real brain-breaker when I first played.
  • Sharzam 16 Mar 2013 00:55:04 2,832 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Never got on with Zerg as the whole lava management just doesn't work for me, i went protoss for one simple reason you can just have a probe for building while the rest get on with harvesting.

Once i got used to the whole plant it all down and wait for warp in i just couldn't play any other way. Also after playing the WoL campaign i thought well ive seen Terran now and want to try something else just so happened to stick with Protoss. Saying that iam terrible at using blink stalkers and i forget about force fields which are two signature protoss play styles.

Edited by Sharzam at 00:55:37 16-03-2013

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Architect_z 16 Mar 2013 10:35:46 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Reading these comments is hard to fathom really. I find playing terran the most fun, I used to play protoss (and if anything, i'm probably better playing as them). But I like all the remote macro you can do with terran, plus with T, i can build a sizeable force relativley quickly whether with protoss, it can take time and its hard to split your army up.
    I have never really tried Zerg. Not properly anyway.
  • hypoBla5t 16 Mar 2013 10:53:29 1,395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bah.

I'm going to have a whine about matchmaking if I may. Feel free to ignore me.

I've got into the top 8 of my bronze league with Zerg and am now consistently being matched up against people who are in or have been in gold, diamond, even master league with the very occasional silver thrown in. The silvers I can handle losing against - I need to be able to beat them if I want to move up - but being wiped out by master league players is not helping me develop and is just losing me points. Why am I being matched up against players far beyond my own ability? 2-5 points is not a big loss, but every point counts.

What also narks me is the fact that these people aren't yet in a league. They have history of being in these leagues but are yet to qualify themselves. In which case I'm either a) being consistently used as a easy opponent for people who are obviously beyond my skill in their ladder qualifying matches or b) playing a ranked ladder match against someone who could well be playing an unranked match themselves. Those are the only possibilities I can think of.

/rant
    ...and breathe.

Feel a bit better now! Sorry all.
  • disusedgenius 16 Mar 2013 10:57:25 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm finding the matchmaking to be a little wild at the moment (though I'm only playing unranked at the moment). I expect that it's still trying to find everyone's level - I suspect that with everyone switching around racing and experimenting there's just a lot of fluctuating in terms of people's skills. The people in Gold/Diamond may have been on a massive losing streak or something.

It'll probably just take some time to stabilise.
  • Architect_z 16 Mar 2013 11:07:31 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was finding it strange before I even started (again) on Wings of Liberty. I lost 4 games in a row, lost to 4 silver players, then it pitted me against a gold league after losing to 4 silvers? (I actually beat the gold player, so maybe he wasnt gold worthy anyway.)
    But I ideally need to play against the bottom of the barrel bronze players. Mainly coz I absolutley suck at SC2. lol
  • Gl3n Moderator 16 Mar 2013 11:10:15 5,387 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 on protoss love.

After playing the campaign to mission 12, it was really difficult to make the switch back to 'toss for MP.

If only zealots were as cheap and innumerable as swarmers :(

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• disusedgenius 16 Mar 2013 18:30:49 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, after watching a few games I decided to persevere with Terran and managed to get placed into Silver after my placement matches! Ended up going into a pretty solid Marine/Mine/Medivac drops into Marine/Tank which is working out really well. Haven't lost a match today! (out of about 8-10)

You can certainly tell that Zergs aren't used to Mines yet though - someone attempted to Baneling rush me and, well, one Mine on the ramp managed to take out about 8 of them in one shot!

Edited by disusedgenius at 18:33:17 16-03-2013
  • hypoBla5t 16 Mar 2013 18:57:31 1,395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyway, following on from my rant earlier, I think the game was trying to get me to win one in order to move up, as as soon as I beat one of those former gold types I got promoted to silver!! Woooooooooo!!

That was my original goal when I started out so I'm at a bit of a loss now. Finding it tough still!! Think my next goal will be not to get relegated again. Not sure if that'll work haha!!
  • disusedgenius 16 Mar 2013 21:25:55 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Well... bloody hell!
  • disusedgenius 16 Mar 2013 21:30:29 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bomber playing in MLG. Instead of targeting units with a Seeker Missile (which can run away out of range) he targets his own medivac with 4 them, turns on the boosters and chases a pack of Zerg. Which all disappear.
  • Architect_z 17 Mar 2013 08:03:27 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That sounds kinda boss.
  • hypoBla5t 17 Mar 2013 10:09:12 1,395 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Well, I can confirm that silver is harder than bronze. Never been on such a ludicrous losing streak in my life. Won 3 of the last 20 or something similar. Probably worse. Think I need couple of days off to clear my head a bit!! Maybe I'll go unranked for a bit to take the pressure off my ladder score.
  • Architect_z 17 Mar 2013 10:35:34 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @hypoBla5t - Thats what I tend to do, just play a few unranked games, especially if im trying some new build orders or something.
    I can't wait to start laddering soon. I just wanna refine some builds.
    You could add me if you wanna do some training? I'm shite at sc2, but I always like playing against friends coz you can talk about the game afterwards. ^_^
  • SuperBas 19 Mar 2013 16:05:57 1,452 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So how exactly is this friendlier to new people? Wings of Liberty now has a 3-stage training mode, does HotS have even more stuff for new players?
  • M83J01P97 19 Mar 2013 17:32:14 6,595 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure if it was in Wings of Liberty or not, but there is a multiplayer tutorial mode now for each race that is split into three different matches against AI. You are basically told what order to build structures and units in and given screen prompts when your not gathering enough resources or when you need to build a new resource hub and so on.

It's a good way of explaining the basics of multiplayer strategy but nothing can prepare you for going up against real people at the end of the day.
  • disusedgenius 19 Mar 2013 17:51:18 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperBas wrote:
    So how exactly is this friendlier to new people? Wings of Liberty now has a 3-stage training mode, does HotS have even more stuff for new players?
    A lot of the HotS battle.net improvements were rolled back into WoL, including the unranked and tutorial stuff.
  • Architect_z 23 Mar 2013 14:09:23 2,385 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    After playing as Terran for a while, i've switched back to protoss. I'm doing pretty well actually. As soon as I spot an expansion, its 4 gates, warp in stalkers and sentries. Send army resting at base to attack, just throw everything at the player. WIN.

I am however finding PvP hard. Not too bad against terran. I find zerg the most comfortable to beat being protoss.

Has anyone got any anti-tank tips? Normally I send in immortals first as they 'tank' most of the damage, and colossi fry the rest.
  • vijay_UK 24 Mar 2013 20:54:08 2,110 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Architect_z wrote:

Has anyone got any anti-tank tips? Normally I send in immortals first as they 'tank' most of the damage, and colossi fry the rest.
    Immortals work best I think Vs. siege tanks, since they do their bonus damage to them and also if their shields are up, will reduce the damage from tanks to 10 (from what I remember).
  • disusedgenius 24 Mar 2013 21:31:06 5,284 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A warp-prism back in his base is also pretty good against tanks. :)
  • Page

of 54 First / Last