Hitman: Absolution Page 42

• Page

of 43 First / Last

• SomaticSense 2 Jan 2013 11:57:51 9,145 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrE26 wrote:
    It's annoying what a missed opportunity this is. Contracts & Blood Money were brilliant but this just isn't Hitman anymore. A couple of levels are great & bring back the classic Hitman feel, but there's just way too much hide & seek stuff for me.

Add in the silly detection mechanic, whereby you're easily spotted by anyone wearing the same clothes as you, even if you're wearing a full suit of fucking armour, & the whole thing is just an exercise in frustration. They seem to have totally missed the point of what made the series popular in the first place.
    I love it so far. But then I didn't feel either of the two Hitman games I played to completion previously (Silent Assassind and Blood Money) clicked with me as much as they did with others.

I much prefer the more structured approach used in this game. Although I sympathise fully with any old-school Hitman fans unhappy with the change of direction. I felt the same way when Ubi butchered the Splinter Cell franchise with Conviction, and have precisely the same concerns with Dark Souls 2.
  • LionheartDJH 2 Jan 2013 19:42:54 19,541 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Big fan of the previous games, especially Silent Assassin. Went into this with an open mind after hearing about the changes, but so far it's not really clicking unfortunately. Don't like the changes to the disguise system or the new 'instinct' stuff at all, the checkpointing/save system also sucks and I've spent most of my time so far reloading continuously after stuff going wrong when I'm trying to be as stealthy as possible.

The lack of freedom/openness and the bite size levels are also grating. Very frustrating experience so far, think I'll leave it for now.

She dives for cheese pasties

• the_dudefather 5 Jan 2013 17:24:21 9,418 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Finished the main story today

Bit disappointing, doesn't really try to do what Hitman does well most of the time, and instead it's all about the silly detection mechanic. The few sandboxy maps you get are OK, but are still pretty limited, The atmosphere is fantastic and the levels look great though.

Speaking of the detection mechanic, it's funny that the battle fetish nuns have no idea what 47 looks like, you can hang around them in a guard's uniform all day and they don't suspect a thing, despite the fact they were sent by the agency you work for. If they were looking for a bald guy with a suit, you should be able to just walk out of the motel wearing the bathrobe you start in :p

Also, I'll have to check it again, but is that mission in the bar really just a case of getting by the dress code? I beat up a cop in the bathroom because 47 doesn't own any t-shirts?

Edited by the_dudefather at 17:29:34 05-01-2013

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• MrE26 5 Jan 2013 17:42:57 1,980 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SomaticSense It's not a bad game by any means, & it's great looking & packed with atmosphere. There was just something about the previous games' wide open levels where you were just dropped in there & left to take out your target whichever way you saw fit that just appealed far more to me.

I loved that you could hide in plain sight, watching your targets & picking exactly when & how to take them out, & walking to the exit having just nailed a silent assassin rating felt like a genuine achievement. That just isn't there in this, i'm constantly sneaking from cover to cover, even when i'm fully disguised because everyone has eagle eyed x-ray vision.

It feels like a weird mix of old-school Hitman & Splinter Cell: Conviction.
  • bad09 5 Jan 2013 18:40:05 6,255 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trying to get back into this myself this weekend after leaving it very quickly for other titles when it came out. It's almost like an obviously new team of devs not involved in the old ones looked at the old ones and just didn't "get" them and made a new Hitman with very little of what made Hitman great in it. I'm mostly just running from people or hiding with none of the planning and strategy of the old ones and at the moment just given up on the utterly, utterly pointless disguises and just sneaking about.

I gave it a second chance out of respect for Mr 47 but might just chalk it up as yet another cherished series down the drain (yay this console generation :rolleyes: ) and uninstall it. Thank god it wasn't my money wasted.

Such a waste of an amazing franchise that was going from strength to strength with every game. Just makes makes me wonder what is it about this generation that is cocking up all the great games. You can keep the next one IO :(

Edited by bad09 at 18:40:44 05-01-2013
  • LionheartDJH 5 Jan 2013 19:16:47 19,541 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MrE26
    Good description, definitely has more than a hint of Conviction about it. Agree with you about the previous games, it was that ability to plan your moves, carry out the hit how you wanted and then sneak out that was so appealing. Here it's more linear and rushed.

Giving it another shot today, turned the difficulty down to normal which has helped, finding it much less frustrating now (probably due to less enemies and more forgiving fields of vision). Just got to the orphanage and unleashing some pent up rage after spending the whole game subduing enemies non-lethally; now sneaking about syringing them in the neck/point shooting them like a boss! Actually enjoying it a bit now, glad I gave it another shot.

She dives for cheese pasties

• monty2k 5 Jan 2013 22:51:06 249 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm really enjoying Contracts mode. The majority of them are a bit naff but there are a few gems out there - I played a contract called "Friday the 13th" set in Diana's Mansion where the objective was to kill 3 of the guards stealthily using the knife whilst wearing a Jason Voorhees-style mask :) A perfect 5 minute slice of gaming entertainment.
  • kinky_mong 13 Feb 2013 12:03:33 10,866 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started this last weekend, and it really is a pretty poor game isn't it? I only played Silent Assassin from the series but even I can tell this just isn't a Hitman game.

Far too many painfully annoying enforced stealth sections,and even the more traditional sections have too many annoying hurdles in the way of just being able to walk around and plan the most adventurous way to take out the target.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• bad09 13 Feb 2013 12:12:31 6,255 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah it's pretty stinky I still have it installed in the hope I'll go back to it and give it another try but just cannot be arsed with it, anytime I fancy a go on Hitman I just start up Contracts or BM.
  • Subquest 14 Feb 2013 23:50:05 328 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I pre-ordered this on PC as a fan of the series, but on release I was disappointed and couldn't really get into it, I gave up a few levels in after being distracted by Far Cry 3. But I went back to it eventually, and found myself enjoying it more and more. It's very much Splinter Cell meets Hitman, but once I'd freed myself of my prior expections, I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it is. Plus, despite veering away from the Hitman formula, there are still a good number of levels that ask you to perform a traditional hit - more than I'd expected given the negativity.
  • kinky_mong 15 Feb 2013 10:53:57 10,866 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jesus christ, the fucking wrestler mission! I don't think I've been this angry at a game in a long time. Is it actually impossible to get the Patriot costume without having to shoot absolutely everyone dead?

Even attempting to do what I assume is the proper stealth approach (knock out the generator, steal his teddy, wait for his entourage to go hunt for it) doesn't leave enough room to knock him out and steal his costume without someone seeing you. Couldn't find one video online of someone doing it successfully.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• gamethesis 15 Feb 2013 13:55:26 1 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    what does everyone think of the saints?
  • monty2k 15 Feb 2013 20:50:25 249 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kinky_mong

It's very dodgy but possible. I managed it after an immense amount of trial and error. Like you said, I stole the teddy bear and his sent his entourage on a wild goose chase. I was hiding to the rear left hand side of the trailer where there are two storage bins next to a corner. I threw a gasoline can near one of those storage bins (when his entourage was away) and drew him towards the bin. I managed to knock him out behind a pile of crates, take his disguise and dump him in the bin just before some of his entourage came back. You have to get the timing just right or it won't work.

Edited by monty2k at 20:51:05 15-02-2013
  • Deleted user 15 February 2013 20:55:00
    This is one of the worst games I've ever played. A very generous forumite gave me a key and I feel bad for taking it now :(
  • kinky_mong 15 Feb 2013 21:51:22 10,866 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gamethesis wrote:
    what does everyone think of the saints?
    I think that after all the fuss over the ill-advised trailer they just happen to be the stars of one of the few brilliant levels in this game. Creeping around as a scarecrow garotting them and their lackies is what a Hitman game should be about. Not playing Hide and Seek with mind reading cops.

• kinky_mong 15 Feb 2013 21:52:16 10,866 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monty2k Cheers, I knew I was on the right track but after the 10th failed attempt I just shot everyone to pieces.

• monty2k 18 Feb 2013 14:00:12 249 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kinky_mong

No worries. I think I went a bit postal on those guys too :p

I was on the last level and have just hit an autosaving glitch. I now have to start from the beginning. I still have my upgrades, weapons and costumes but it's wiped my challenge progress which is annoying as I was only one or two away from the 150 challenge achievement! I swear if this wasn't a Christmas present I would have traded it in long ago.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2013 15:31:07
    I really wish they'd just made this game a series of open-ended missions with multiple opportunities. The levels where you're on the run are terrible.
  • kinky_mong 18 Feb 2013 15:35:23 10,866 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agreed, which makes it all the more frustrating when you have great levels like the Cornfields or Shaving Lenny separated out by loads of horrible "get to the exit without being spotted" missions.

• L_Franko Moderator 18 Feb 2013 15:41:01 9,697 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is not sounding good. I will probably give it a miss.
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Feb 2013 22:29:52 11,891 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've never played a Hitman game before but I thoroughly enjoyed the first mission on PC tonight, looks stunning too. Hope it keeps this up :D

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• frugtkompot 16 Jun 2013 15:43:14 2,819 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What in the hell...

Is it a known bug that the digital download on PS3 will crash and delete your save file? I just had it crash my PS3, and when I loaded the game back up it told me a save file didn't exist and whether I wanted to create a new. And yup - it does look like all my progress is gone.

The game is absolutely not worth replaying, so I guess I'll just to redo the first half that I already completed and leave it at this. Interesting game, but mediocre in most of what it tried to do.
  • frugtkompot 16 Jun 2013 16:40:05 2,819 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A little browsing and I see it's a game breaking bug that's been there since launch.

How they haven't fixed something like that so long after release is just beyond me. Truly horrendous. I dare say the game doesn't deserve to be completed. Glad I got it for free through PS+.
  • DuvaDan88 28 Jun 2013 12:21:34 543 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    WTF!! I lost my game save just after completing it when the game came out so I just finally got round to finishing it on hard and thought I would pick up the last achievement but no that doesn't unlock, look it up and now I have to go and play the game again to get it. I want to like this game but it keeps fighting me every step of the way, I cant be bothered to play a third to time complete the achievements and whenever I look at it I will just get annoyed now.

Xbox, Steam - DuvaDan
    3DS 4639-9278-1687
    Feel free to add me

• convercide 3 Oct 2013 23:25:22 6,204 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Already posted it in the bargains thread but:

Hitman Absolution for XBox 360 is just 5.31 new on Amazon

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• modula 12 Jan 2014 10:19:09 264 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I read on vg247 that a new contract map was being added to this as a freebie, but can't find any trace of it. Anyone have any ideas please?
  • daz_john_smith 17 Apr 2014 20:14:02 1,636 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow, this game is the hottest garbage. Twice this week it has corrupted my save (Xbox 360) after numerous post loading screen freezes.
  • mattk84 17 Apr 2014 21:02:48 583 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm clearly in the minority but I loved it! Never got on with previous Hitman games so maybe that's why.

PSN ID IMrAndersonI

• Darth_Flibble 17 Apr 2014 21:11:54 1,776 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    People who hated previous splinter cell games liked Conviction, some gamers who hated past hitman games liked this one because its less like a hitman game apart from a few levels. you could play most levels like a shooter (like Conviction)
  • Page

of 43 First / Last