New WRC Game Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 October 2010 08:31:32
    ^agreed - my copy arrived yesterday and I spent a few hours on it last night. It's exactly what I expected. Personally, I think they've nailed the handling. I've tried the WRC and J-WRC class and they feel spot on - with the FWD characteristics of the junior formula fully in evidence... if anything I think J-WRC is harder than WRC because you don't have 4WD to pull you out of a tough spot.

Certainly it won't appeal to some ( possibly not even to most ) folk. But if you liked Evolution's WRC games on the PS2 you should be right at home. The menu/interface is a bit clunky at times: for example in TT, if I'm doing a Wales stage and exit out of it, I'd rather be dropped back to the stage selection screen for Rally Wales than have to select TT again from the single player menu.

Online is exactly what I wanted - they haven't tried to shoehorn in other modes. It's just rally. You can have ghosts on or off, and with it set to off it feels like a real rally stage, as your time and position gets updated when you pass checkpoints. The only improvement, to my mind, would be staggered starts ( THE best thing about Dirt 2 ). Time attack is good - with downloadable ghosts etc. Right now, I'm owning Rally Wales WRC TT globally on the 360, ( tag = BeardyBrave ) but then only about 10 people have tried it :D.

There's no denying that graphically ( particularly the stages ) it's not on a par with current games like the wonderful Blur but imo it's as good as Race Pro and at times it can look pretty. The car models are good and the damage system and modelling are impressive. Also there's some nice damage on the stages ( you can destroy fences etc. ). All in all, hopefully they'll make enough money for a more polished sequel ( they pulled it off with SBK didn't they? ), but just in case they don't and you miss the old WRC games... it's probably worth a punt. It could be the last time you see a game like this.
  • alasdairm 7 Oct 2010 15:04:55 155 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's what appears to be an XBLA code in the box on a seperate sheet from the manual, however it doesn't recognise it when i type it in on XBox.com

Is it really an XBLA code, as the sheet its on heavily promotes the wrc game website; or are the codes not active yet as its not released until tomorrow ??
  • MontyBrewster 12 Oct 2010 17:20:37 253 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice, long review of the PC version on inside sim racing, if anyone's still on the fence.

Review proper starts at approx 8.30 mins, G25/G27 wheel settings are talked about before that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx3mFqpE2k8
  • whatthefu 29 Oct 2010 19:43:34 870 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was put off by EG's review but ended up getting it out of boredom and I'm glad I did.
  • whatthefu 5 Nov 2010 19:59:12 870 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well, I've completed up to and inc. level 5 with 100%
    Problem is im bored with the same tracks over and over, guess i shoulda progressed up the levels quicker instead of doing each level to 100%

Still, gave me a good few hours entertainment.
  • Machetazo 5 Nov 2010 20:24:10 6,372 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GAME/Station are selling this for 22.99 on consoles(19.99, PC), atm.
  • BBIAJ 5 Nov 2010 21:09:01 895 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    alasdairm wrote:
    There's what appears to be an XBLA code in the box on a seperate sheet from the manual, however it doesn't recognise it when i type it in on XBox.com

Is it really an XBLA code, as the sheet its on heavily promotes the wrc game website; or are the codes not active yet as its not released until tomorrow ??

It's a code for the website, enter it on there to get exclusive access to, erm... Well, not very much to be honest!
  • bad09 6 Nov 2010 09:35:04 5,903 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MontyBrewster wrote:
    Nice, long review of the PC version on inside sim racing, if anyone's still on the fence.

Review proper starts at approx 8.30 mins, G25/G27 wheel settings are talked about before that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx3mFqpE2k8

Cheers for that, good review. I was gonna forget about WRC but watching that I might pick it up. Should be dirt cheap already :)
  • Ultrasoundwave 17 Feb 2011 15:10:31 3,302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just picked this up for 14. Im a huge fan of the WRC (and rally in general) and have waited for the price to come down based on the mixed reviews.

Anyone here played it??, any positive impressions??

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Ultrasoundwave 24 Feb 2011 14:57:49 3,302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Just picked this up for 14. Im a huge fan of the WRC (and rally in general) and have waited for the price to come down based on the mixed reviews.

Anyone here played it??, any positive impressions??

Seems i have to answer myself!

Have been playing this solid for the last few days and ive been very impressed. Im one of the many people that was disappointed with the direction Codemasters took the Dirt series, removing the traditional rally gameplay and focussing on god-awful american racing.

WRC World Rally is basically the game i wanted Dirt 2 to be. Its all about the pure rally experience and nothing else. After reading various negative reviews and sampling the poorly presented demo, i initially gave up on this game.

Reviewers stated that the game suffered from "terrible" visuals and "a bland menu system". Yes, the menu system is quite bland, but i would never take points off the final score of a game for the fucking menu system!.

The graphics , on the other hand, i have absolutely no problem with. True, their not up to the Dirt standard, but their still exceptional graphics that add to the experience.

I hope more people buy / play this as it is an excellent game. Its 12-14 on Amazon and if you have even a moderate interest in Rally, i highly recommend it.

8.5/10

• D_arkTrooper 24 Feb 2011 15:36:10 1,317 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yer, pretty much agree with what you said.I quite enjoyed playing the single player side of things (multiplayer not so much as I suck).Dead easy platinum trophy (PS3) if anyone is interested.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• Ultrasoundwave 24 Feb 2011 20:20:23 3,302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    Yer, pretty much agree with what you said.I quite enjoyed playing the single player side of things (multiplayer not so much as I suck).Dead easy platinum trophy (PS3) if anyone is interested.

Havent tried the multiplayer to be honest, probably wouldnt be that many on there anyways!. Just gone pro and received two contract offers : Citroen and Subaru..............who to choose, who to choose?

• Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 24 Feb 2011 20:22:43 14,033 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Citroen is better these days, no? And the Citroen rally car looks better in my opinion. :)

PS: Dirt 3 is still a few month away isn't it? Might fill the gap with this seeing as you seem to enjoy it.
  • Ultrasoundwave 25 Feb 2011 08:24:46 3,302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Syrok wrote:
    Citroen is better these days, no? And the Citroen rally car looks better in my opinion. :)

PS: Dirt 3 is still a few month away isn't it? Might fill the gap with this seeing as you seem to enjoy it.

Bottom line is, if you like rally at all, you WILL enjoy this game. Especially for the 12-14 that its available for!.

• D_arkTrooper 25 Feb 2011 16:59:59 1,317 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Surprisingly,when I was playing through it there were plenty of people playing this online (very few English players though,mostly Spanish/Italian).

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• AaronTurner 25 Feb 2011 18:00:12 7,737 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't get why you'd make an official rally game with shitty short stages.
  • whatthefu 25 Feb 2011 18:50:45 870 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    and force the player to race on them over and over and over
    nice game other than that, i did enjoy it
  • Ultrasoundwave 30 Mar 2011 09:55:06 3,302 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still playing this, still think its brilliant too.

Have started a new career and im learning to appreciate the subtle handling differences between the cars. The Clio R6 for example handles very differently to the other 2WD cars.

Like i've said before i cant understand the criticism this game received at launch, although to be fair Eurogamers review summed the game up perfectly in my opinion :

"Those prepared to invest the necessary commitment, ignore the blandness and live with the game's failings will find that once on the dirt, gravel, snow or asphalt WRC FIA World Rally Championship delivers moments that are indisputably thrilling.

I cant recommned this game highly enough. All of you who loved the old school Colin McRae games will love this. I was also pleased to learn that Black Bean have secured the licence for three years, so im hoping that this years version will have that extra bit of polish to keep that critics happy.

• muttler 5 Apr 2011 12:35:02 4,035 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I picked this up on saturday. The demo pretty much gave me the opinion that it's garbage. But after reading this thread I thought I'd give it a go since it's cheap.

My initial reaction was omg this is actually worse than the demo if that's possible, but I stuck with it and after a couple of stages I'm enjoying it alot.

The graphics are shite, but the handling model is kinda good, even though imo it's let down alot by the lack of feedback. But it is actually really playable, and the tracks are fun to race on.

The menu system, management options, and the front end generally is poor, but there is a pretty good rally game somewhere in here. I'd almost class it as a HD remake of one of the old CMR games. Which for 12-15 is an ok proposition, I think.

I'm glad I got it. I'd give it an 8/10, I'd like to give it an 8.5 but the graphics, lack of feedback and the slightly underwhelming stuff like the sponsorship thing (it says look carefully at what there offering and choose wisely, but it's just a matter of choosing the highest percentage and which decals look good) are holding me back.
  • SomaticSense 6 Apr 2011 13:16:38 8,321 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Picked the 360 version up for 14, and I'm pleased on the whole, even if it does have it's problems, although mainly that's because I was in need of a proper stage-by-stage rally game.

My chief issue with it, is that it's clear that it was just a port from the Wii. I don't usually care too much about graphics, but the resolution is so bad and the graphics so 'fuzzy' that it really does make it hard to see corners coming from a distance. It's especially bad for the 90 degree turns at junctions. Level of Detail effects might be a good way to save on processing power in an open-world RPG or GTA or something, but it's inexcuseable in a racing game where the ability to see ahead is vitally important.

The co-driver notes are at times way off too, with some of the corner degree of difficulty being called out completely wrong. Most notably on one of the Spanish stages, he/she tells you a "3 right" is coming up, yet clearly it's actually a sharp left-hand corner on a crest. I've redone it a number of times to make sure, and it's definitely wrong. He/she is also far too happy in describing 4th gear long sweepers as "hairpins" as well, causing a sort of 'cry wolf' effect meaning that I've been stung on more than one occasion by taking a proper hairpin way too quick because I assume it's just another bloody sweeper. Lying twunt. It makes me pine for a rally game where you can set your own pace notes.

There needs to be more stages as well. I'm not sure if I'm losing it, but it seems that for each country there is just one area, with the 'stages' being pulled out of that using slightly differing routes ala the first Ridge Racer. That's not rallying.

Also, why are the Spanish stages so dark?

Despite that, I'm really enjoying it. Although if I wasn't in such a desperate need for a proper rally game, I doubt I'd be anywhere near as forgiving. It should be noted that I suspect the reasoning for the lack of quality is down to the extremely short development time the devs were given to make the game after acquiring the license. I hope they are given a better chance to make a quality game this year.
  • whatthefu 6 Apr 2011 13:28:20 870 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good to hear they have an ongoing license, hope the next game steps it up
  • SomaticSense 6 Apr 2011 13:33:56 8,321 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a three year deal I believe.

They do need to step it up though. The career was no-frills fun in a good way and genuinely makes you feel as if you were a young driver plugging your way to the top. They need keep that while sorting the basics out (as I outlined in my post above).

Hopefully they'll focus more on what's important, than listen to the asshats complain about the menu system.
  • muttler 6 Apr 2011 14:16:11 4,035 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:Despite that, I'm really enjoying it. Although if I wasn't in such a desperate need for a proper rally game, I doubt I'd be anywhere near as forgiving.
    I agree.
  • mad_caddy 8 Apr 2011 14:06:28 3,306 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm really trying to love the game, there are just a ew niggles that really get to.
    my biggest gripe is that i can't slide the car as I wish, it's really close but it's just not clicking.

I do however like the sensation of speed in some of the higher powered cars,it's just a shame you run the same few courses repeatedly early on. I've done the first 3 tiers of the road to the WRC and I'm bored of seeing the same tracks.
  • SomaticSense 10 Apr 2011 18:12:34 8,321 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The co-driver is a complete arsehole.

"ARGGH! Concentrate!"

"Just give me the fucking pace notes already, and quit whining. Less of the "amazing sector time" bs and more of the pace-note reading and maybe I'll be able to tell wtf is coming up, and not crash. You fucking moron!"
  • mad_caddy 15 Apr 2011 09:00:55 3,306 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Co "driver" is a right pain in the arse at time,

"danger" What, what danger, where, oh, the fucking road signs on that round about in spain, thanks you fuck nut.

I've set the pace notes to be given well in advance of the corners and it does help a lot, I'm on tier 5 of the Road to the WRC now and it's feeling better now i'm in the Subaru and other 4wd cars, the courses are much more lively as well, Oz, Portugal etc, much better than the early track.

but then it threw a bunch of fiesta races at me.....thanks FFS.

I'm going to see it through to completion, by the time i've finished it, dirt 3 will have landed.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 12 Sep 2012 20:51:54 14,033 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bump!

A WRC3 demo is now on the PS Store. It actually is really quite good!

I think I prefer the racing to Dirt 3. The tracks certainly are a lot better.
  • effinjamie 13 Sep 2012 11:50:54 888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played this last night, really enjoying it. Vast graphical update on 2. Good handling on the pad, I'm still to try it with the wheel yet.

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• Hotwhiskey 13 Sep 2012 22:10:37 11 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This game as been a dark horse for me. Downloaded the demo and I'm really impressed the handling on my GT steering wheel feels fantastic the cars have weight and feel realistic to me. I have not played a rally game since Colin McRae rally did not like the dirt serious it went to American for me it took away the true rally experience. But WRC 3 as got good potential really impressed.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last