New WRC Game Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Deleted user 2 August 2010 19:02:20
    I'm sure we'll see prices come down closer to release, the likes of zavvi and shopto are always fighting it out with pre-order deals these days.

@Kosmoz Yeah there are loads of racing games about these days, same with FPS, its good in a way but also means there's no way fans can buy them all, GT5 looming in November and Eutechnyx have several racers lined up at somepoint as well.

Especially with the first new F1 game coming out, I hope they pull this off with WRC, get attention and do well, could do with a high quality sim rally game.
  • alasdairm 3 Aug 2010 02:20:09 156 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gameplay have had it at 29.99 for the last few months (as well as FEAR 3 for the same price)

Put my order a while back and the last time I looked were still at that price to preorder on the 360. They keep the price when you ordered it, even if it goes up later
  • LFMartins 18 Sep 2010 01:37:57 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Demo is up on the Marketplace if anyone cares, 571 MB.
  • LFMartins 18 Sep 2010 15:57:59 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had a go at this and Im not sure if I like it. The graphics are not that great, the damage system is a bit bad but gameplay seems to be alright. Strange choice of music for the replays, Im sure that heavy metal isnt for everyone.
  • BillMurray 18 Sep 2010 16:04:41 7,868 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's definitely not a pretty game. Not really sure what to make of the rest of it really. I'd boot up Richard Burns Rally over this any day though.

Edit: Oh, and the menus are absolutely hideous.
  • FooAtari 18 Sep 2010 16:59:00 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought it was alright, better than I thought it would be. When set to Professional the physics are alright. But the co-driver is annoying, and as Bill said I would pick RBR + RSRBR2010 mod over this every time.

The graphics were not great, but if that means it allowed the game to run at 60fps (which I think it was? seemed pretty smooth), thats fine with me.
  • LFMartins 18 Sep 2010 17:08:04 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I laughed when the co-driver started screaming when I hit a tree.
  • bad09 18 Sep 2010 20:44:07 6,206 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FYI the PC demo is up 24th and PS3 the 29th.

Although what the hell the point of staggering a release of a demo is I do not know.
  • Spunkweazle 20 Sep 2010 10:16:45 470 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The handling and damage seem pitched about right, it seems hard and punishing with ugly graphics

I think its the Anti-Dirt

....Is Richard Burns Rally worth picking up for the Xbox?

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• Kosmoz 20 Sep 2010 10:38:28 7,737 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'll download the demo for this in the next few days, but with uni starting back I might not have time to play it.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• BillMurray 20 Sep 2010 10:38:36 7,868 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've only played Richard Burns Rally on the PC so I wouldn't be able to comment.
  • Darren 20 Sep 2010 17:43:03 9,042 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Like much of Milestone's other stuff (i.e. the SBK games), this new WRC is competent but rather ordinary and technically it isn't going to win any awards either. Still I kind of enjoyed it despite the low budget visuals, much like the SBK games actually. Reminded me of the last gen Colin McRae Rally games.

On the PC these games are usually 18 from the likes of Play.com and Amazon and at that price it is easy to forgive the sloppy production values and lack of wow-factor. Will wait for the reviews first and will also try the PC demos but based on the SBK games I suspect the only difference between it and the console builds will be a higher resolution and 60 fps framerate.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Whizzo 20 Sep 2010 17:48:59 43,275 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's certainly no looker but it plays pretty well, not a lot of feedback on the controller though so probably works a bit better with a wheel to get a feel for the car under you.

The damage model is nice though, my first attempt in the Citroen had my co-driver saying there was a problem with my gearbox and he wasn't wrong, I've not heard such a noise since I last witnessed a bad learner!

Not sure I'll pick it up on release but will when it's cheap.

This space left intentionally blank.

• SomaticSense 20 Sep 2010 17:57:44 8,983 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems really good from the demo. Or at least it surprised me that is wasn't complete crap, which was exactly what I was expecting from, the devs behing the V8 Superstars games.

It's really good in a literal 'CMR1' kind of way. Absolutely nothing we haven't seen before, and is far from the next-gen rally game evolution I've been waiting years for since CMR2 (option for 10/15 minute stages, 20 odd stages per country including reverse runs ala real life, epic career mode). But is a passable offering considering how poorly served us Euro rally gamers have been lately with regards to focused classic style rallying.

I do wish they hadn't rushed it for such a quick release turnover though. It really looks like complete shit graphically. Did they just use the original OpFlash engine and assets? Because that's exactly what it looks like. I'm not usually too bothered with graphics as long as a game plays well, but I didn't think it was possible to make a current gen game look so bad...
  • Deleted user 21 September 2010 09:45:14
    I can't seem to change the camera? This is on the 360 demo btw....or am I just numb? I want IN CAR godammit!
  • Deleted user 21 September 2010 10:19:14
    To change the camera view you press the back button, on xbox 360 anyway. I also think the few of you that have commented on this game are being very generous. This is video game racing at its most basic. Simple handling model, poor tracks, terrible menus, worse graphics. I wanted it to be good as rallying is a sorely neglected sport in games.
  • AaronTurner 21 Sep 2010 10:34:17 7,857 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems pretty crap this game! The graphics seem SD resolution wise and I struggle to see corners approaching, the physics are that common overdone slidey slidey nonsense and I don't think I've ever seena worse front end!
  • Deleted user 21 September 2010 10:40:33
    I actually laughed at the way every word in the menu starts with a bright green letter. Why!?
  • BillMurray 21 Sep 2010 10:45:58 7,868 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeSpank wrote:
    I actually laughed at the way every word in the menu starts with a bright green letter. Why!?

This. Absolutely baffling.
  • bad09 21 Sep 2010 11:07:20 6,206 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It saddens me that this sounds like it will be bobbins. I'll see for myself this weekend (hopefully the PC version fares better) but might wait for Dirt 3, Codies claim to have listened to the criticism of the lack of proper rally in Dirt.

Oh well, F1 still looks like a cracker!
  • Kosmoz 21 Sep 2010 11:19:10 7,737 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The car look very floaty when on the road, and slide about far too much. I'm sad :(

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• tinners 21 Sep 2010 15:37:27 154 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wow this looks generations apart, after just playing some split second then onto this turd, f1 has my money!
  • scoobysi 21 Sep 2010 18:38:15 987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just played the demo on 360, wouldn't look out of place on the original Xbox. Handling was poor, sensation of speed was poor, cars reaction to track was poor, deleted!

Doesn't have a chance with F1 and GT5 on the horizon.
  • Res 21 Sep 2010 18:52:37 1,814 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    scoobysi wrote:
    Handling was poor, sensation of speed was poor, cars reaction to track was poor, deleted!

Pretty much sums it up for me. It is also supposed to be worse with a wheel, not better. Even if the physics on the GT5 WRC mode are not realistic, it'll still feel a hell of a lot better than this, going by what I have played on the PSP version of GT. And the randomly generated tracks also coming to GT5 removes any desire I would have had to pick this up.

The interface is also disgusting. I have no idea why they made the first letter for every menu option green, they don't do that on the official WRC website so that can't be used as an excuse, and it is horrible to read.
  • brainbird 23 Sep 2010 20:46:49 2,229 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think we'll agree this game isn't going to set the world on fire but it's seems ok-ish from what I've seen in the demo (360).

I like the 'classic WRC' approach as opposed to the DiRT 'extreme racing' bullshit (still went through both DiRT games and enjoyed them mind). However I'm disappointed the game runs at what looks like 30fps max. I expected 60fps.
    And yeah, the menus are a joke. How can you screw that up nowadays?

While it certainly doesn't have the production values (and budget) of GT5 and F1, I see me buying this at some point when it's gotten a bit cheaper.
  • Syrok Designer, Tarsier Studios 29 Sep 2010 19:15:42 14,034 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just played the demo. It's really only good if you play it expert mode, but even then there seems to be something missing. I've never driven a rally car, but the cars feel a bit too light if you know I mean. The graphics are pretty bad and not even Super Car Challenge kind way. But the worst part for me is the sound. The cars sound like they are powered by flies on speed.
    It could have been so good. :/
    I'm hoping that Dirt 3 will be good, because lets face it Gran Turismo's rally mode is not going to be much fun.
  • kentmonkey 29 Sep 2010 19:23:35 20,882 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Res wrote:
    scoobysi wrote:
    Handling was poor, sensation of speed was poor, cars reaction to track was poor, deleted!

Pretty much sums it up for me. It is also supposed to be worse with a wheel, not better. Even if the physics on the GT5 WRC mode are not realistic, it'll still feel a hell of a lot better than this, going by what I have played on the PSP version of GT. And the randomly generated tracks also coming to GT5 removes any desire I would have had to pick this up.

The interface is also disgusting. I have no idea why they made the first letter for every menu option green, they don't do that on the official WRC website so that can't be used as an excuse, and it is horrible to read.
    This. Nothing more to add to either post.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2010 12:40:29
    Seems like a marmite game to me. Personally, I really like it. think it looks decent in-car ( although out of car and replays do look sub-par, I'll admit ) and I really enjoyed the handling model, which felt akin to the old PS2 WRC games which I wish Evolution still made. Day one for me. Hopefully they'll get to make a second one. I think the biggest problem with it is a lack of rumble feedback. It does give you some feedback when you hit a bump or whatever but there's not the constant subtle rumble that the better, premium, racers tend to give you.

It's definitely split opinion. For anyone wondering what to make of it - download the demo and see for yourselves. It's not shit by any means but a lot of folk will definitely not like it, as evidenced by a lot of the comments on t'internet. If anyone on here fancies hooking up ( 360 version ) for some online stuff or even to compare TT times then send me a PM. :)
  • beastmaster 5 Oct 2010 11:50:39 11,806 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is this out on Friday? EG review soon?

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• SomaticSense 5 Oct 2010 21:01:51 8,983 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BraveArse wrote:
    Seems like a marmite game to me. Personally, I really like it. think it looks decent in-car ( although out of car and replays do look sub-par, I'll admit ) and I really enjoyed the handling model, which felt akin to the old PS2 WRC games which I wish Evolution still made. Day one for me. Hopefully they'll get to make a second one. I think the biggest problem with it is a lack of rumble feedback. It does give you some feedback when you hit a bump or whatever but there's not the constant subtle rumble that the better, premium, racers tend to give you.

It's definitely split opinion. For anyone wondering what to make of it - download the demo and see for yourselves. It's not shit by any means but a lot of folk will definitely not like it, as evidenced by a lot of the comments on t'internet.

Aside from the day 1 comment, I pretty much agree with this. It's serviceable, but far from shit. Yes, the graphics and general presentation are terrible, but considering the crazily small development cycle they've been given, the fact that the gameplay is at least on a par with the old CMR game is commendable. It's no leap gameplay wise or even any step up at all, but it's a rally game, and that for me is good enough.

I've been dying for a new proper rally game since I finished CMR2005. Both the DIRTs, while great racing games, just weren't what I was after. And despite all the promises to the hardcore Euro rally fans, I doubt DIRT 3 is going to allow you to purely focus on proper rallying and ignore all the extraneous crap.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last