3D TV (3 Dimensional Television) Page 9

• Page

of 10 First / Last

• Scurrminator 26 Aug 2011 14:57:54 8,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Great. :) I'm leaning towards the Samsung PS51D6900, is that the one you have? (since you recommended it :p )

Also I'll be wanting to offload the TV I have now as a way of part-financing my new TV, any idea of the best way to do this? It's only a couple of years old and in great nick, still sells for £600+ from what I can tell. How much am I likely to get for it?

Just grab it bud. Even without the 3D it's fantastic. And it really isn't far off the D8000 specs wise and the smaller bezel.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• mattigan 26 Aug 2011 18:02:19 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    I do prefer the LG tech in principle, but it's not full HD in 3D.

I know, but, you should have a look under normal viewing conditions/distance. I like my HD, but seriously, the effect sort of makes up for the lower rez somehow. Maybe its just me but I don't really notice on HD stuff, that said, the sub SD content out there looks just as shocking as expected.
  • maniac_mouse 12 Sep 2011 02:13:16 59 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I tried one in currys a while back, and just like the op, i saw nothing in 3d, just slightly blurry 2d. At the cinema avatar looked ok apart from a bit of image breakup when things moved fast on the horizontal plane so i think my eyes are capable of 3d viewingness.
    Mind you, i was talking to one of the shop drones and he basically said they were crap and wouldnt advise buying one until the tech improves :-)
  • mattigan 13 Sep 2011 11:37:04 1,429 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Where were you viewing from? The Passives have a massive viewing angle Horizontally but quite narrow vertically (basically you have to be level'ish with the screen or the glasses don't work)
  • ZuluHero 13 Sep 2011 12:38:19 4,200 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ive only just seen this thread, but the found this informantion on the test to be incredibly funny:

The current generation of 3D video is still being developed and there's no need to worry just yet. 3D remains a long way from being the norm and stereo-blind consumers will probably be accommodated in some way if/when it does become the standard. The worst case scenario is probably that, for a while at least, you'll need to wear glasses just to see in 2D.

Quite funny given non-glasses people unwillingness to wear glasses to see the effect. It would be quite ironic, given that companies are striving for glasses-free 3D if the same people had to wear glasses due to 3D 'blindness' just to be able to watch stuff in the future :)

Sorry if this has been pointed out before! :)
  • maniac_mouse 13 Sep 2011 22:29:07 59 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Where were you viewing from? The Passives have a massive viewing angle Horizontally but quite narrow vertically (basically you have to be level'ish with the screen or the glasses don't work)

Tried viewing the bugger from all angles, not a sausage in the 3d department, maybe it was broken?

As an aside, I always see those autostereogram things in reverse (the 3d goes into the page like looking through a glass table rather than standing out).
    Cant see that being the problem here though considering avatar looked ok through the cheapo passive glasses they handed out.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Sep 2011 22:48:58 10,861 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Was it a passive or active shutter set? If active, the batteries in the glasses may have run out.

If you could see 3D in the cinema, you'd be able to see it on a 3DTV.
  • maniac_mouse 13 Sep 2011 23:43:56 59 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was it a passive or active shutter set? If active, the batteries in the glasses may have run out.

Thats possible, although the glasses didnt look like they had anywhere for a battery to live.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Sep 2011 23:45:04 10,861 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Usually had a little panel on the inner arm. Only watch batteries I think.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Sep 2011 23:46:04 10,861 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That or they weren't switched on ;o) You would just see a blurred image in either event.
  • maniac_mouse 13 Sep 2011 23:50:49 59 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Im leaning towards the battery theory, il have another go when im in town next to settle the issue :-)
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 13 Sep 2011 23:56:55 10,861 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do you know what make the TV was? If a Bravia, make sure you check that there is a small flashing LED under the right side arm to indicate that it is turned on and connected to the TV.

No doubt there is a similar set-up on other brands.
  • Scurrminator 15 Sep 2011 14:49:13 8,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Here's a recent review for the set I have. It really is quite awesome (and at a good price too).

• ecu 15 Sep 2011 17:31:46 77,019 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I decided ages ago it's the one I want. :)

I'd already have it by now but I have no idea how to go about selling my current set.
  • KayJay 15 Sep 2011 19:13:23 5,289 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get in line ecureuil.

That AV forums review along with the HDTV test review have done it. £909.01 from Comet, including x2 Glasses and a 3D BluRay...
    Delivered on the 28th...

/gets excited
  • ecu 15 Sep 2011 19:15:06 77,019 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That offer still going? I was looking at around £900 but with no glasses.
  • Scurrminator 15 Sep 2011 19:20:03 8,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup. I think it's a web exclusi e but the shop will do it if you take a print off in

• KayJay 15 Sep 2011 20:39:36 5,289 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Here is the link... Comet Online

I would have preferred to pick it up from store but I assume because it's a "Web Exclusive" I can't, that and there was no option to "Collect from Store".

I did scour most of the online retailers and the TV itself is available at other places for the same (give or take) but none throw in the glasses & BluRay for a Penney.
  • KayJay 28 Sep 2011 11:26:57 5,289 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My set arrived today Scurrminator.
    Really pleased with it, soooo pretty.

Are those setup options posted on AVForums the best to go with, I think it's for the US version, but should be okay right?

Any tips you can offer to get the best out of it?

Also, everything said they didn't come wih any glasses and that's why I went for the Starter Pack bundle on comet. Opened the TV box up and there were x2 included... :/ so I have 4 pairs now.

Starter Pack is going on eBay. :)
  • KayJay 28 Sep 2011 11:28:32 5,289 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh and if you were not sure, WiFi is built in... ;)
  • ram 18 Oct 2011 13:31:42 3,483 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kj66246 wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Here is the link... Comet Online

I would have preferred to pick it up from store but I assume because it's a "Web Exclusive" I can't, that and there was no option to "Collect from Store".

I did scour most of the online retailers and the TV itself is available at other places for the same (give or take) but none throw in the glasses & BluRay for a Penney.

I've just bought this on a semi-impulse purchase but with 10% discount from a voucher, £798 with Quidco as well. Bargain!

Are people happy with it?

Anyone want to buy a 46inch Panny Plasma? TX-P46G10B. 2 yrs old, £400 pick up London
  • Scurrminator 18 Oct 2011 16:30:40 8,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's an excellent TV.
    Though it is a web exclusive you can buy it in store if you wish. Just take a print off.

• KayJay 31 Mar 2012 21:26:49 5,289 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've managed to snag myself one of the exclusive Panasonic Avatar 3D BluRay discs...
    Oh. My. Fucking. God.
    It's amazing. I remember it being good when I watched it in the cinema but my 51" 3D TV is doing a remarkable job.

The aspect ratio engulfs the entire screen.

That's all I have to say. :)
  • Scurrminator 31 Mar 2012 22:27:47 8,437 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd love to have avatar. But not paying those prices. The deal has run out now so we should see a disc soon :-)

• rare_uk 31 Mar 2012 22:31:23 3,570 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    I'd love to have avatar. But not paying those prices. The deal has run out now so we should see a disc soon :-)
    I should hope so, as I can't see it on the panasonic website.
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 04:27:52
    The thing about 3D at the moment (and for the forseeable future) is that when 3D movies and programs are filmed (or rendered), they 'play it safe'. The 3D strength they provide is limited because they will do anything to avoid 'doing people's heads in'. And of course, once filmed (or rendered) the 3D strength cannot be retrospectively increased (although they could one day re-render the computer generated movies with more depth).

If, however, you play a decent 3D game like 3Dstruction or God of War, and turn the 3D strength right up, it takes your brain a moment to adjust, but the results are incredible. It really makes one feel like a technological pioneer, seeing into a future of entertainment beyond Sky 3D and 3D blue ray.:cool:
  • Deleted user 19 April 2012 10:42:40
    3D games are different because you're controlling the action and therefore you know where to focus your attention at any stage. 3D movies being played back to you have the distinct disadvantage of your not knowing where to look at any point. If you're looking at a part of the screen the director didn't intend you as the camera angle changes then you're playing catchup and throwing your system out of whack.
  • monkman76 19 Apr 2012 10:46:24 4,721 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I myself am very glad of the parentheses in the thread title. Who on earth would know what 3D TV stood for!
  • Razz 19 Apr 2012 11:04:50 61,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It stands for justice, honour and truth!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Deleted user 19 April 2012 11:21:13
    You make a good point Rhythm. The speed of cutting is a major factor as well. Could you imagine 3D adverts cut as fast as some of the adverts on tele these days ? Sometimes, especially if I'm a bit tired, I have to look away from the screen 'cos it makes me disorientated. Those kind of ads. would be utterly bewildering in 3D :confused:

Edited by Gridstip at 11:22:33 19-04-2012
  • Page

of 10 First / Last