thatgamecompany presents... Journey Page 12

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Nemesis 22 Mar 2012 17:36:57 18,672 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow, that was a great experience. Well worth the 10 quid. Enjoyed it start to finish, nice little nods to Flow and Flower in design and sound.

Will go through that again, it was fantastic.
  • X201 23 Mar 2012 19:49:45 15,576 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    djronz. wrote:
    Its Actually fairly difficult to stick with the same person through out as they will invariably either do there own thing or get separated from you, but if you find a like minded person you can quickly work out an understanding and go for the companion trophy.
    I have just deliberately signed out of PSN to get rid of the person I was paired with. It was my first play through and he was destroying the discovery element of it. They knew the level inside out and had triggered all of the switches before I'd worked out which direction to walk in.

It's something I'll bear in mind on future play throughs, I could be spoiling someone elses game.
  • Ashwood 23 Mar 2012 19:58:13 408 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I have just popped in to say I'm so jealous I don't have a PS3. Watched some gameplay videos and this game looks stunning.
  • SomaticSense 23 Mar 2012 22:39:24 8,648 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    djronz. wrote:
    Its Actually fairly difficult to stick with the same person through out as they will invariably either do there own thing or get separated from you, but if you find a like minded person you can quickly work out an understanding and go for the companion trophy.
    I have just deliberately signed out of PSN to get rid of the person I was paired with. It was my first play through and he was destroying the discovery element of it. They knew the level inside out and had triggered all of the switches before I'd worked out which direction to walk in.

It's something I'll bear in mind on future play throughs, I could be spoiling someone elses game.
    That's the problem I had with my first attempted playthrough. I had to abandon it too for that reason. I also like to take my time with top quality games, and so din't like being rushed along and running everywhere to keep up.

So a genuine thanks to whoever mentioned about declining the online terms and conditions allowing you play offline while still staying connected :)

Edited by SomaticSense at 22:40:09 23-03-2012
  • skuzzbag 23 Mar 2012 22:50:42 5,650 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You don't have to keep up if you don't want. As soon as they are out of sight you seem to get some time on your own. I've played a fair bit on my own by just wandering off.
  • King_Edward 23 Mar 2012 23:02:45 11,454 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah. I had 3 or 4 people wander through my game while I was dossing about the dessert.
  • SomaticSense 23 Mar 2012 23:51:32 8,648 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    But it doesn't feel right if you just leave them to shoot off and activate all the fabric and switches and stuff, as you miss a lot of what happens as a result.

For example, the first time I bumped into anyone was at the bridge section. I spent a bit of time looking around on the ledge you start on, and he was running around activating the fabric which filled in the bridge. I didn't have any idea that was what he was doing until I restarted and played through the section myself, so who knows what I'd have missed if I went through the rest of the game like that.

I loved the interaction and the whole friendly anonymousness of it all, as well as the feeling of bumping into someone without an 'xXxElItESNIPERxXx has entered your game' indicator flashing up on the screen. But for me it's very much a solitary experience first off, and then a social one on subsequent playthroughs.

I'd prefer it if what they did didn't affect your game, and vice versa, but still allowed for the same sort of interactions and adventures. Sort of like a more fleshed out form of the apparitions in Dark Souls or the orbs in Fable.

Edited by SomaticSense at 23:53:55 23-03-2012
  • Mehrdad 24 Mar 2012 14:19:22 5 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved this game the best of gene
  • Deleted user 25 March 2012 18:05:52
    The "best of gene" is definitely featured in God Hand. Pick that up on the PSN store.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 25 Mar 2012 18:10:05 38,614 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Started playing this today, met a fellow traveller after the first meditation and played through a while. Then my daughter pooed and I had to change her nappy. When I unpaused my friend was gone :(

I quit the game after that :(

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• otto Moderator 25 Mar 2012 18:34:29 49,320 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The friends come and go. I think the game randomly throws people together.

This is truly one of the most incredible gaming experiences I've had.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Derblington 25 Mar 2012 19:27:50 21,900 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    But for me it's very much a solitary experience first off, and then a social one on subsequent playthroughs.

I'd prefer it if what they did didn't affect your game, and vice versa, but still allowed for the same sort of interactions and adventures. Sort of like a more fleshed out form of the apparitions in Dark Souls or the orbs in Fable.
    It's not design to be played solo, you're kinda playing it "wrong". By doing that you see everything the game has in one go, the point of being partnered is that you don't see everything in one go, you replay it over and over to get different experiences both socially and through gameplay as there are different requirements on you as a player each time.

It's not about figuring out puzzles or gameplay mechanics, everything is given to you in the first solo area. It's about discovering the symbols and glyphs and playing with another anonymous Journeyman, and the experiences you gain from working with or ignoring those individuals. Its not ruined by playing that way, it's the whole point.

You do it a disservice by turning that off and treating it as something linear to be completed.
  • puddleduck 25 Mar 2012 19:47:39 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I believe it is the journey that is important, and each time it can be a different journey.
  • mrharvest 25 Mar 2012 20:32:59 5,200 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree with SomaticSense. To me it seems the game is intended to be played alone for the first time to experience the sheer loneliness and desperation towards the end.
  • djronz. 25 Mar 2012 21:42:55 283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    i don't think the game is meant to be played in any particular way but rather it is up to the player to create their own experience. Playing with a more experienced player can however mean that some secrets are uncovered before you have chance to search for yourself.

Although i did nt turn the online off i did largely ignore other players until id played through a few times and then looked for experienced players to show me things id missed.

I Just have the one trophy left to get now but have to wait a week without playing to get it! Probably the hardest trophy to get at the moment.
  • Lycanthroat 25 Mar 2012 21:46:46 47 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same here. Waiting for a week to pass. I'm heading to a mates this Thursday, so I'll be bringing the PS3 so it should pop then.

We can all weep together.
  • RabidChild 25 Mar 2012 21:49:12 2,292 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just played this through for the first time, and it was as great as everyone's been saying. I kept wondering whether the people I was bumping into were different, or the same person over and over. Glad it tells you who you met when you end. Got the companion trophy too.
  • kimchibaka 25 Mar 2012 22:26:28 51 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just manually change the date on your PS3 if there's a trophy for waiting a week, and then change it back. Unless the game makes you sign in, and checks the date online (?) that's the way I've got other trophies like that in the past.

Edited by kimchibaka at 22:27:44 25-03-2012
  • djronz. 26 Mar 2012 06:35:20 283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kimchibaka wrote:
    Just manually change the date on your PS3 if there's a trophy for waiting a week, and then change it back. Unless the game makes you sign in, and checks the date online (?) that's the way I've got other trophies like that in the past.
    Thats cheating! Lol 
    They should have made the trophy so you have to play through again after a month not simply start a game after a week. That way there would be more incentive to return to it after time.

Also i wish it could be played through at night like it shows during the end scene.
  • psychokitten Moderator 29 Mar 2012 11:58:05 7,794 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/163491/Changes_at_Thatgamecompany_Santiago_departs_new_game_underway.php

"Just off a wave of critical acclaim for Thatgamecompany's newest PlayStation Network title, Journey, big changes are afoot at the studio: As the studio begins work on a new game, co-founder and president Kellee Santiago departs.

Gamasutra sources say that other key staff departures may be forthcoming as well. Santiago declined to confirm or to speak to her colleagues' plans, but suggested future announcements are 'likely.' As for her own departure, it's entirely amicable, Santiago tells us, explaining that it's simply time to seek new challenges. "

Wonder what they're up to! Which reminds me I STILL haven't bought Journey despite knowing I'll love it.
    /sets reminder on phone
  • HiddenAway 29 Mar 2012 15:05:18 14,918 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Journey breaks PSN sales records in the US

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• HarryPalmer 29 Mar 2012 15:37:09 3,406 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just started playing this and love it. Just got to the bridge section and a companion appeared. They seemed to be doing some jump thing next to me, and I had no idea what they were up to. Felt a bit silly.

It seemed to charge up my jump though, is that it or is there some power jump type thingy?
  • Razz 29 Mar 2012 15:52:36 61,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's exactly my experience of it last night, I played it for the first time. No idea what it was all about, only that it was good, artsy and in the desert.

I was so confused when some other guy appeared and started completing my puzzles for me, I thought I'd spent too long farting about exploring the second stage and the game was trying to push me along, :D I had no idea that this was a multi-player game :o

The game is gorgeous isn't it? I got to third stage before turning it off, but I spent ages just staring at the screen taking in the sight of the pinkish sand, my journeyman half buried in it and the Volcano in the distance. I /wish/ this game had a screen shot facility as I would have very much liked to have had that as my XMB wallpaper.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• cianchristopher 29 Mar 2012 15:59:43 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's magical, alright. It reminds me of the iPad.
  • DanB24 31 Mar 2012 17:15:28 2,131 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Superb game. Just finished it. :)

It's impressive how it can create a sense of companionship with a total stranger when you run into another player in your game, with no other way to communicate than the circle button.
  • djronz. 31 Mar 2012 17:45:47 283 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Its really worth playing through multiple times  trying to get all the trophies. I don't normally bother with trophies but they seem relevant to the game in this case.
  • Flying_Pig 1 Apr 2012 15:35:11 11,142 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished my first play through earlier - Magical game. It's amazing how you end up sharing such an emotional and intimate experience with a total stranger.

I'll wait a week and then start again :)
  • MysteryLamb 1 Apr 2012 15:50:02 525 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flying_Pig wrote:
    Finished my first play through earlier - Magical game. It's amazing how you end up sharing such an emotional and intimate experience with a total stranger.

I'll wait a week and then start again :)
    The gaming equivalent of cottaging.
  • Flying_Pig 1 Apr 2012 18:21:15 11,142 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MysteryLamb wrote:
    Flying_Pig wrote:

I'll wait a week and then start again :).gif" class="smilie" alt=":)" />
    The gaming equivalent of cottaging.
    True. But without the George Michael soundtrack :)
  • Scimarad 12 Apr 2012 23:29:59 8,567 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow, I can't remember the last time anything made me feel like that. Managed to stick with the same person through the last half of the game and it was unlike anything I've ever played.

It going to be a while before I stop thinking about that experience:)
  • Page

of 16 First / Last