The UK TV Comedy thread

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous
  • mal 11 Jun 2010 00:33:05 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    To save us from heart attacks when someone discovers Black Books and bumps that thread, how about we have a general thread for all UK TV comedy commentary, be it upcoming series, recomissioned series, or rediscovered favourites, it's all in here.

To kick things off, I'm currently discovering Peep Show for pretty much the first time. I saw a bit of an episode from one of the early serieses when it was first on and didn't get it. Then, a few years later when I noticed it was still on, I gave it another go and quite enjoyed it. So I watched it again and enjoyed it again, only to discover it was the last of the series. So cut to now and I'm going through the back catalogue DVDs.

It's not half bad, is it? I'm currently in the second series, and while I'm not finding it quite as funny as the first series, the first series was genius, and I have heard the best series of all is later.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• BillMurray 11 Jun 2010 00:34:40 7,235 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Since I bumped that Blackadder thread a few minutes ago i'm going to mention it. Definitely need to invest in the boxset.
  • buggrit 11 Jun 2010 00:37:09 5,178 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Peep Show does indeed get better as it goes on, save for a dip in quality for one season. MOAR PLZ.

I'm liking Outnumbered, with Hugh Dennis, quite a lot. Also Bellamy's People, La La Land, and, er, that's about it.
  • mal 11 Jun 2010 00:47:16 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The nice thing about the rise of bluray is that the price of some of these box sets has plumetted, and you really don't need HD for these old TV shows. I remember the blackadder box set being silly money when it first came out, but it's relatively cheap now. However, by comparison, all five series of Yes (Prime) Minister for under 15 quid is an absolute steal.

Mind you, I used to not buy these because I couldn't afford them. Now I don't buy them because I don't have the space for them any more.

• thelzdking 11 Jun 2010 01:01:03 3,963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mal wrote:
    The nice thing about the rise of bluray is that the price of some of these box sets has plumetted, and you really don't need HD for these old TV shows. I remember the blackadder box set being silly money when it first came out, but it's relatively cheap now. However, by comparison, all five series of Yes (Prime) Minister for under 15 quid is an absolute steal.

Mind you, I used to not buy these because I couldn't afford them. Now I don't buy them because I don't have the space for them any more.

Indeed: I got the first season and the specials of The Thick of It for 6.00 each. Easily one of the best UK sitcoms around at the moment.
  • Bloodloss 11 Jun 2010 01:19:52 4,499 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think the first season of Peep Show is easily the best, and gets significantly worse as it goes on. Still a great show mind.
  • Goban 11 Jun 2010 01:52:50 8,996 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quite enjoyed the inbetweeners.
  • mal 3 Oct 2010 21:25:09 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Why did no one say the Ideal had started again? Luckily it's still all on iPlayer for the time being, and from what I've seen so far it's still one of the best things on TV. Am I the only person that likes it?

• mal 4 Oct 2010 21:38:53 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll take that as a yes...

• MysteryLamb 4 Oct 2010 21:40:20 525 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    After a dip in quality around series 3-4 this one is right back on form.

take that as a no.....
  • mal 4 Oct 2010 21:52:15 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, looking back at it on Wikipedia I don't remember there being a series I didn't enjoy. It did get very dark in series 5, but then I like my humour on the dark side.

• localnotail 5 Oct 2010 00:13:00 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked Ideal at the start, but it just waned in interest for me as it got dafter into the end of the second series (I think).

Has anyone been watching School of Comedy at all? It has been raising smiles in me, I'm quite impressed by some of it. Certainly better than most of what BBC3's managed in their youth comedy output.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• mrpon 5 Oct 2010 00:19:46 27,646 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm quite liking Would I Lie To You, the panel gameshow with Lee Mack, David Mitchell and Rob Brydon. The banter they have going between them all is great.

Best highlight for me was Brydon and Peter Seranofichidxzhiz doing Ken Bruce and Terry Wogan impressions, hilarious!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mal 5 Oct 2010 00:40:37 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Would I Lie To You is one of those programmes I always enjoy when I see it, but never really seek out. Rob Brydon's a better host for it than Angus Deayton was - though have you seen his chat show? For something that's co-scripted with David Quantick it's appalling.

Just seen 'Him and Her' on the iPlayer, with that feller off of Being Human. I'm quite enjoying it so far.

• Kokapetl 5 Oct 2010 00:46:49 865 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I liked Ideal at the start, but it just waned in interest for me as it got dafter into the end of the second series (I think).

Has anyone been watching School of Comedy at all? It has been raising smiles in me, I'm quite impressed by some of it. Certainly better than most of what BBC3's managed in their youth comedy output.

School of Comedy is an odd one for me. I remember watching the first series and thought it was hilarious unfortunately its come back with a fair few shoddy sketches, especially in the first couple of episodes. The whole 1980's homosexual M.D. thing being a prime example. Happily that didn't rear it's head tonight and it appears to have returned to form.

The Gary Glitter sketch had me in stitches and the White Van Men and the Museum Curator ones are always top quality.

Xbox Live/PS3/Steam - Kokapetl
    3DS - 0903-2865-7239 - Face

• localnotail 7 Oct 2010 23:31:14 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Phone Shop ..... jury still out. Some great sections, others less so.
    /marks interesting

• Lukus 7 Oct 2010 23:32:52 18,955 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    /marks interesting

Nah, it's bullshit.

Paintings & Photographs

• localnotail 7 Oct 2010 23:39:02 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the stupid banter (it reminded me of some lads I used to work with), and there is an edge to it that might come out in further episodes. Maybe. I watched it to the end. I'd watch the next one if I was about.

• Machetazo 8 Oct 2010 09:31:08 6,372 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    localnotail wrote:
    /marks interesting

Nah, it's bullshit.
    The funniest bit, was in the unintentional irony of the sponsor message at the end. I wanted to give this a fair go, after I saw the trailer. New comedy, set in a phoneshop, I'll try it. But no, the show's almost completely awful, and it pinches all the other bits. The part where the rival branch manager's in the boss' office was about its sole redemption.
  • The_Foo_Fighter 8 Oct 2010 09:50:31 724 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Utter fucking shite.
  • Lukus 8 Oct 2010 15:34:18 18,955 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The worst thing about it is you can envisage exactly how it was conceived as a show-

Hmm, what does the youth market like? Phones and talking funny. Let's set it in a phone shop and have at least two of the characters talk like they might be mentally retarded. The rest will sort itself out.

/APPROVED STAMP

Paintings & Photographs

• localnotail 8 Oct 2010 21:36:02 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I tell you one thing. It's better than The King Is Dead. Seriously, wtf?

• Dirtbox 8 Oct 2010 21:39:14 76,341 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Look Around You is about the only recent thing that has made me laugh.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Lukus 8 Oct 2010 22:12:15 18,955 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Look Around You is good, though I've only caught a handful of episodes. Of late, Bellamy's People was pretty good I thought.

Paintings & Photographs

• Lukus 15 Oct 2010 20:57:28 18,955 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    QI really lives and dies by its panelists, I suppose like any panel based show, but in this case when the panel aren't to my taste it even taints the interesting facts. Ross Noble and Ruby Wax, for instance = show ruined for me entirely.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 15 October 2010 20:58:57
    I can't stand QI mainly because of Alan Davies pretending he's an imbecile.
  • captainrentboy 15 Oct 2010 21:09:21 840 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A lot of new Brit comedy is pretty shite nowadays! Don't get the big fuss over stuff like The Inbetweeners, it bores me rigid. I love Peep Show, The Office, most Chris Morris stuff and old school shows like Blackadder. Sorry to hijack a Brit comedy thread with a US show but I really like Eastbound and Down too, surprisingly edgy and crude for a show from America.
  • Jono62 15 Oct 2010 21:15:26 13,628 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oldie comedies worth getting:

Spaced
    Fawlty Towers
    Game On
    Red Dwarf
    The Day Today
    Brass Eye
    Alan Partridge

Quite a few more I could mention.

Apart from the recent ones mentioned, try Not Going Out. Its pretty good.
  • captainrentboy 15 Oct 2010 22:22:09 840 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good list Jono, bloody hate Red Dwarf though, much to my mate's disgust :)
  • Randomlampy 15 Oct 2010 23:32:41 580 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    QI really lives and dies by its panelists, I suppose like any panel based show, but in this case when the panel aren't to my taste it even taints the interesting facts. Ross Noble and Ruby Wax, for instance = show ruined for me entirely.

I didn't find Ross Noble so bad last time he was on. Ruby Wax though, while I'm not a fan I can usually grin and bear her presence but Jesus she made QI awful tonight, just painful TV. Was like when Rory McGrath was on.

• Page

of 6 First / Last

Previous