Connecting two 360s to LIVE using one router.

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Deleted user 9 June 2010 17:39:59
    There's probably a thread on this somewhere but I can't find it.

What's the best way to set my router up to allow two 360s to both play on XBox Live simultaneously? Specifically MW2.

As things are now, the first of our two Xboxes to connect can find games OK, but the second can only connect to a multiplayer game if hosted by the first xbox.

• Fake_Blood 9 Jun 2010 17:43:23 3,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Put the second xbox in DMZ?
  • Gambit1977 9 Jun 2010 17:50:02 9,546 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uh oh, this is worse than typing google into google. It will destroy the internetzzz!!!*

Does it not just work 'out of the bag'? Oh, and make sure NAT is open! Needs to redraft router possibly.
  • Doomspoon 9 Jun 2010 18:43:09 2,353 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    From what I gather there's no simple fix for this, I may be wrong but I'm sure I'd read previously that you'll always get NAT problems with multiple 360s on the same router.

edit: Further to memories of reading about this in the past, one solution may have been to use ICS through a PC for a second 360. General conclusion was that it's too much of a pain in the arse. I welcome being corrected on this as it's been some while since I did read on it and I've never tried it myself.
  • Retroid Moderator 9 Jun 2010 19:23:09 44,501 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Which router are you using?

I had the situation to begin with where one 360 would kick the other offline, but joining Be and using their router solved this. Now on Sky internet with their router and it's still working absolutely fine.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2010 19:27:21
    Mmm...I recently bought a 2nd Xbox for downstairs, and my lad and I have both been playing on Live every night without a problem. Didn't have to set anything up different or anything, it just works. I'm glad I didn't read this before I ordered it, or it may have stopped me.
  • Whizzo 9 Jun 2010 19:28:50 42,760 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    UPnP should sort this out, if it doesn't I'd suggest getting a better router.

My nephews (/waves at one of them) managed to play on both their 360s without their free IT support person (me) having to do anything to get it going. Which makes a change. :-)

edit: rather big mistake in my initial post which has now been removed!

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 9 June 2010 19:47:12
    I have a Netgeat router and SKY is my broadband provider.

It's weird because the 2nd Xbox to sign in, can occasionally find games, but a lot of the time it just cycles through 0/50 over and over.

Fake_Blood - I've read conflicting reports about DMZing the 2nd Xbox. Makes sense to me though and might be worth a shot. The little research I have done though says that there's not a lot I can do about it unless I have a dedicated gaming router.
  • Deckard1 9 Jun 2010 20:57:26 25,413 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    depends on the router. Some will work fine with 2 xboxs, some will give strict NAT on one or both of the xboxs even if UPnP is enabled. Anything from this list will work fine with multiple xbox's.

Oh and DMZ'ing rarely works as the router will most likely not be able to forward the ports for the xbox outside the DMZ.

\goes back to ironing star trek underpants

Called it

• DeltaBravoNiner 10 Jun 2010 13:59:28 631 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DMZ works perfectly well.

Puts xbox outside the routers firewall - therefore no port forwarding required as there is no firewall to block the ports...

No?

I use DMZ and Have no issues whatsoever.
  • Mayhem64 10 Jun 2010 15:21:52 649 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My thought, like a few others, is probably the router. My brother and I both have 360s and have never, ever had a probably being online at the same time, whether it is playing the same game or different ones.

Lie with passion and be forever damned...

• Spin_Dr_Wolf 10 Jun 2010 17:15:59 6,170 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If there is a good way to do this i'm all ears. Also anyone farmiliar with the issue of forwarding all the correct ports to the Xbox on a fixed IP, and it still complaining that the NATS is strict on the xbox. Because that has somewhat annoyed me recently.
  • Deckard1 10 Jun 2010 17:56:59 25,413 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DeltaBravoNiner wrote:

Puts xbox outside the routers firewall - therefore no port forwarding required as there is no firewall to block the ports...

No?

yes, but it doesn't work with two xbox's, which was kind of the point of the thread.

Called it

• grep 10 Jun 2010 20:00:04 50 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chaps a quick question do you need 2 gold accounts to use both xboxes on live at the same time.
  • Deckard1 10 Jun 2010 20:08:37 25,413 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    yes

Called it

• grep 10 Jun 2010 20:19:44 50 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks that's what I thought :(
  • DeltaBravoNiner 11 Jun 2010 08:34:44 631 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    DeltaBravoNiner wrote:

No?

yes, but it doesn't work with two xbox's, which was kind of the point of the thread.

No it doesn't, one device in the DMZ only, I know.

The point I was making is, having xbox one up and running - with port forwarding etc, could the the second xbox go in the DMZ?

The point of the thread was how can you get a second xbox working on live on a single router - which if you have the first set up successfully - using port forwarding, you can dump the second in the DMZ.

So not sure I really missed the point of the thread.

Although I accept my suggestion may not work, as I've never tried it - I only have one xbox, and it's in the DMZ anyhoo becuase the NAT options on my router are crap and port forwarding was a pain I couldn't be bothered with.
  • Fab4 11 Jun 2010 08:44:43 5,691 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DMZ working will depend on the actual implementation of the DMZ. If its a DMZ Host, it may conflict with the port-forwarding of the other xbox on the network.
  • oopseh 11 Jun 2010 20:53:43 29 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    DMZ working will depend on the actual implementation of the DMZ. If its a DMZ Host, it may conflict with the port-forwarding of the other xbox on the network.

If it's a DMZ Host then it's not a DMZ.

• Fab4 12 Jun 2010 08:17:23 5,691 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oopseh wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:

If it's a DMZ Host then it's not a DMZ.

I'm well aware of that, thanks. Its just many routers implement a DMZ Host instead of a true DMZ, but still call a DMZ.
  • Retroid Moderator 12 Jun 2010 09:24:36 44,501 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The first router I owned had a great DMZ - anything assigned to it could no longer access the internet or any of the network! \o/
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next