Champions League Page 474

• Page

of 707 First / Last

• Dougs 20 Feb 2013 09:22:14 69,084 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do, I was just being slightly flippant. :)

All the gnashing and wailing is irrelevant anyway, he's not going to quit and the Board won't fire him. He'll be with us until the end of next season at least.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 09:28:26
    Boo. Wenger out! Wenger out!
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 09:32:58 34,259 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Thing is, your glass isn't half empty. It's about 80% full in fact.

I keep coming back to a pontoon analogy. Would you twist on 18?
    But it's only your opinion that i have 18.

We don't share that opinion.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 09:38:54
    THFourteen wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Thing is, your glass isn't half empty. It's about 80% full in fact.

I keep coming back to a pontoon analogy. Would you twist on 18?
    But it's only your opinion that i have 18.

We don't share that opinion.
    I don't think it is an opinion. There is so SO much further for you to fall as a club, than there is ground for you to make up. That is an inarguable fact, not a matter of opinion.

Not only that, but the ground you have to make up is currently occupied by clubs that are far richer than you that you effectively can't compete with (with the exception of us, and you're barely behind us in truth).

I think you have lost perpective of the big picture, and what the realistic stature of your club now is. And worse, I don't think you appreciate how precarious even that is, and think it's no big deal to risk it.

Edited by kalel at 09:39:19 20-02-2013
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 09:47:13 34,259 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it IS no big deal

i would still support arsenal in the championship or league one or whatever.

just like all my friends who are palace/leeds/coventry/portsmouth fans do.

if you dont try then what is the point of playing. its a game. they can shove their money and financial fair play up their arses, i dont care about it.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 09:49:08
    Do your Leeds fan friends wish their club hadn't been destroyed by unnecessary risk, or do they think it was well worth it?
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 09:50:24
    Also I don't believe you. If you bitch and whinge this much at doing as well as you are, I dread to think what you'd be like getting relegated.
  • THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 09:51:04 34,259 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Of course they aren't happy with what happened

but again, you are looking at it with a glass half empty approach

in your opinion if wenger were to leave, we would be destroyed like leeds

in my opinion if wenger were to leave, 33% we might get better, 33% we might stay the same, or 33% we might be a bit worse.

i'll take that risk.
  • roz123 20 Feb 2013 09:52:10 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Think about it TH14 you could end up with Rafa Benitez as manager
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 09:52:30 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually agree with TH14. Its not like Moyes and Everton, who are perennial top tenners and has taken them as far as they can go.

Arsenal, despite the whining, have serious untapped resources and they really could kick on with a manager who buys the right players.

Im normally one for sticking with a manager but I really dont think this is the same situation. Its not like Arsene has been carrying the club. Arsenal are a triffic, top, top team in their own right and could and should be challenging for things. As a football fan, I want to see them winning things, if only to break things up.

Plus it would be funny if they did self destruct, so its win/win.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 09:53:43
    THFourteen wrote:
    in your opinion if wenger were to leave, we would be destroyed like leeds
    No, that's not my opinion. I think that's the absolute worst case scenario, but I do think the chances of you actually doing better that you currently are, are ludicrously slim.

in my opinion if wenger were to leave, 33% we might get better, 33% we might stay the same, or 33% we might be a bit worse.

This is what it all comes down to really. This is where I think you've lost all perspective, and I think it's because you've had Wenger so long, you don't know what it's like when you get a new manager. I'd say the odds are more like 5% you get better, 20% you stay the same, 75% you get worse.

Edited by kalel at 09:53:59 20-02-2013
  • Blaketown 20 Feb 2013 09:54:18 4,908 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Your odds are way out of line. The chance you would improve are very slim. When you look at who Arsenal are realistically competing against, Wenger has consistently been the best in the league for a very long time.

It can't be a coincidence that every Spurs & Liverpool fan I've talked to can't wait for Wenger to leave. Be careful what you wish for.

Edited by Blaketown at 09:55:21 20-02-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 09:55:50 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    This is what it all comes down to really. This is where I think you've lost all perspective, and I think it's because you've had Wenger so long, you don't know what it's like when you get a new manager. I'd say the odds are more like 5% you get better, 20% you stay the same, 75% you get worse.
    It can happen. Lets be honest, there werent many people who gave AVB a prayer.

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 09:56:44
    nickthegun wrote:
    Arsenal, despite the whining, have serious untapped resources and they really could kick on with a manager who buys the right players.
    I think this is highly debatable. Their wage bill is very high, and to add to it with huge transfer fees (and even higher wages) I don't think is realistic, even with their resources.

Yes, he's made bad buys, but every manager does. He has made some very good ones even in recent years as well.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 09:59:13
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    This is exactly my point though. To end up with AVB we first had to go through Ardilles, and Francis, and Gross, and Graham, and Hoddle, and Santini, and Jol, and Ramos, and Harry...and even then it was a stroke of luck that we got AVB in truth.

This ^^^ is what TH wants to voluntarily sign up for, when he's already got the second best manager in the history of the PL managing his team. Madness.
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 10:06:07 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think this is highly debatable. Their wage bill is very high, and to add to it with huge transfer fees (and even higher wages) I don't think is realistic, even with their resources.

Yes, he's made bad buys, but every manager does. He has made some very good ones even in recent years as well.
    It would take some restructuring and writing off of assets but its doable. You have got some proper shite there on outrageous money.

The problem is they are a happy shopper Man City. They have got some proper guff there who wont move for less money and no team in their right mind would pay them half of what they are currently on.

• nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 10:08:40 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    This is exactly my point though. To end up with AVB we first had to go through Ardilles, and Francis, and Gross, and Graham, and Hoddle, and Santini, and Jol, and Ramos, and Harry...and even then it was a stroke of luck that we got AVB in truth.

This ^^^ is what TH wants to voluntarily sign up for, when he's already got the second best manager in the history of the PL managing his team. Madness.
    But who did you get rid of to go through the merry go round?

And Wenger himself was a bit of a gamble. If you had taken a punt on, say, moyes when he was available, we wouldnt be having this conversation. Theres a lot of luck when choosing a manager. Wenger could have been a disaster.

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 10:11:30
    Venables, and that was just a whole big fucking mess and really nothing to do with football. Certainly wasn't the fans' preference for him to go.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 10:13:07
    And again, Wenger wasn't really a gamble considering they were replacing Rioch, who also basically had to go. It's always a gamble yes, but you weigh that up against who you're replacing. That's again my entire point.
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 10:16:07 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was a gamble but, again, his most successful side was built on the spine of the rioch assembled.

I dunno, as I say as an observer, i dont think its a huge gamble as arsenal should be able to attract the best managers in the world.

Certainly i dont think many other managers would have thrown the FA Cup tie to prepare for the CL game they then took a pounding in.

• nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 10:16:47 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And this is from someone whos team has been through every good young manager in the country and wanted to stick by John Gregory.

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 10:18:12
    Why should Arsenal be able to attract the best managers in the word? They are at absolute best the fourth best team in England, with an unclimbable mountain to get them above the other three.

That's not an attractive proposition to the top tier of managers imo.

Edited by kalel at 10:18:47 20-02-2013
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 10:20:22 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are seven million reasons a top manager will go there, aside from the fact that they are 'run the right way' and still one of the top draws in europe.

Im not a manager but I would still see arsenal as a big job.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:20:36 20-02-2013

• evild_edd 20 Feb 2013 10:23:18 3,172 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still talking about us, Kalel? I wonder whether you love Arsene or Arsenal more...? Either way, there's some guilty, repressed affection within you!

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 10:24:39
    Yes t's not like you played last night and we're discussing it in the relevant thread or anything.
  • Deleted user 20 February 2013 10:26:34
    nickthegun wrote:
    There are seven million reasons a top manager will go there, aside from the fact that they are 'run the right way' and still one of the top draws in europe.

Im not a manager but I would still see arsenal as a big job.
    Absolutely, but the issue is (yet again) that we're talking about managers that are better than Wenger. That's a really small group of managers we're now talking about, and the question is whether that absolute top tier would go there (and even if they did, would they be better).
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 10:30:41 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd take a punt on 'yes' because, fuck it, why not?

I take all of your points on board but I think its fairly inescapable that his reign is coming to a natural conclusion. Can another manager make them better? I dont know. Can Arsene make them better? No, I dont think he can.

• Deleted user 20 February 2013 10:32:49
    Yeah, he will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. True enough. It's just the "Wenger our" attitude I'm objecting to. And not even objecting to as it's honestly music to my ears. I just can't help arguing against stuff I don't agree with.
  • nickthegun 20 Feb 2013 10:35:12 61,060 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah 'wenger out' is not only a bit strong, but a bit ungrateful.

But, you can almost understand it as he quite resolutely doesnt seem to be going anywhere, to the point that if he did get the boot he would do a george costanza.

• THFourteen 20 Feb 2013 10:54:19 34,259 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:This ^^^ is what TH wants to voluntarily sign up for, when he's already got the second best manager in the history of the PL managing his team. Madness.
    again, you aren't a fortune teller, and you don't know for a fact what will happen when Wenger leaves.

its all IYO.

i am not arguing with what AW has achieved over the first 10 years of his reign.

I now see us declining slowly every year, so why not try and halt that decline by changing things up, if we continue to decline we havent lost anything, and if we get better then we get better and we all win.
  • Page

of 707 First / Last