Thailand Page 7

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• twelveways 6 Dec 2011 08:57:44 3,528 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I second Kanchaniburi, plenty of days out from there, beautiful scenery and great entertainment. Stay at the Jolly frog for cool riverside huts and amazing food at a great price. The death railway dominates the area but still loads of chilled out stuff around like the monkey school and the waterfalls.

Im not hating on BK, I had a good time there but, at the end of the day, its a big city, so many people spend more time there than is necessary in my opinion. Use it as a hub to explore the areas to the north west and north east and the islands to the south
  • DodgyPast 6 Dec 2011 10:52:38 8,338 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gareth886 wrote:
    I'm going to be in Bangkok on Friday for 1 night (catching a flight the next day at midnight.

I'll be on my own this time. Anyone in BKK fancy an unofficial EG meetup?
    I'll pm you my mobile number. Working in the northern outskirts now the flooding has subsided... So traffic could be a bitch.
  • Jetset_UK 1 Feb 2012 21:41:29 3,540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OK, me and the new lady friend have decided on rather short notice to goto Thailand for 2 weeks at the end of March.

She is a very keen scuba diver, and I've been once in Greece, so that will probably be a focus for a few days at least. She went to Thailand 10 years ago to Ko Tao, and I've never been to Asia at all.

Anyway, she's a little worried that Ko Tao maybe completely different than it was 10 years ago, and doesn't want to ruin her memory of it, should it be populated with Starbucks and WHSmiths.

Anyone have any thoughts before the Lonely Planet guide turns up?
  • gareth886 2 Feb 2012 05:35:51 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think Koh Tao has changed to much at all. There are lots of dive resorts but definitely no Starbucks of the likes. A couple of 7Eleven's but that's about the height of it. Koh Tao still has a very laid back vibe.
  • Jetset_UK 2 Feb 2012 07:59:36 3,540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah well that will please her. 2 weeks of being laid back is what I need!
    I take it there are dive places all over Thailand?
  • gareth886 2 Feb 2012 09:23:38 2,841 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, there are dive places absolutely everywhere in Thailand but Ko Tao is known to be a bit of a mecca for diving or learning to dive. When I was there it was the low season and very quiet, I'm not sure what its like during the high season but can't imagine it being much different. Most of the backpackers tend to swarm to the neighbouring Island of Ko Phangan.

I done an advanced PADI at Big Bubble and the accommodation pretty much had its own private beach, with the bungalow about 30 steps away. Absolutely love Ko Tao.
  • HisDudness 2 Feb 2012 11:38:25 923 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'll be flying into Krabi and then heading for the coast and islands four a couple weeks. Not going to bother with Phuket. Is it enough to have a few islands in mind and just head there to find these beach bungalows for rent?

Also what's it like to find soft drugs there? Can I buy and smoke pot without getting in sketchy situations?
  • smoothpete 2 Feb 2012 11:54:57 31,039 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HisDudness wrote:
    Also what's it like to find soft drugs there? Can I buy and smoke pot without getting in sketchy situations?
    They do not have entrapment laws. Meaning that an undercover cop can sell you weed, then bust you for buying it. THEY DO NOT FUCK AROUND. All the advice I have had says that if you must smoke weed, buy it off Australians. But I will seriously advise against it tbh

Edited by smoothpete at 11:58:54 02-02-2012
  • HisDudness 2 Feb 2012 11:58:12 923 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah that's what I've been gathering from reading around on "enthusiast" travel reports. Sad. Guess I'll stick to beer.

I had gotten my hopes up as I've heard shrooms are relatively easy to procure there.
  • BinaryBob101 2 Feb 2012 14:10:38 21,971 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You'll get weed with no problem on Koh Tao. It'll be the bar that most looks like it'll sell weed. Just get in and out quickly and quietly and you'll be fine. don't travel with it though.

MaMa at Banana Rock, if it's still there is the right place for you.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• StixxUK 25 Jan 2014 18:51:35 7,174 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Would it be stupid to go on holiday to Thailand next month given the protests currently going on?

I'm guessing it's generally OK but y'know.

Thinking about flying into Bangkok, scooting over to Cambodia to see Angkor Wat then back to Thailand and down to Krabi for a hotel and beaches.

Any tips? I've basically never travelled outside of Europe before. Pretty nervous about the whole thing but also excited.

Going with the GF, we are both around 30 and a bit past the whole party thing, after some relaxation and culture.
  • mangojoe 25 Jan 2014 18:59:58 404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's fine , parents are there for 3 months every year and currently there now. Bangkok is mad and very polluted . Good fun though. Just hire a tuk tuk for the day and set a good price with the driver for all the sites you want to get done. Better and more fun then organized tours. Pat pong (spelling) market is worth a visit. 3 nights is enough. When buying anything in the market immediately half their asking price and Barter from there. Phuket is nice. Reccomend cape panwa as it's away from the more commercialized areas . Krabi is also nice. I could write for hours about Thailand . Great place. Been 8 times but not in the last 5 years .
  • mangojoe 25 Jan 2014 19:00:42 404 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also parents say Cambodia and Vietnam are both great
  • Darth_Flibble 25 Jan 2014 19:21:22 1,507 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Going to book 2 or 3 weeks in thailand, maybe Karon beach area as its close to the man nightlife while far away from the nightlife. Been watching that "sun, sex, suspicious parents: thailand" it does seem its attracting the drunk British idiots like the knucle dragger in last weeks episode. Hopefully this is kept to the full moon party area on koh samui?
  • bobmar360 25 Jan 2014 19:39:05 878 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thailand is awesome

Travel light and travel far..... Lonely Planet book is great too if you need any guidance on hotels, food, travel

Don't worry about protests and all that malarkey
  • Darth_Flibble 25 Jan 2014 19:53:54 1,507 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Other tourist tend to be really nice people, much more friendly the ones in Europe
  • bobmar360 25 Jan 2014 20:10:48 878 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agree, I spent a month there with my wife and found the experience was so good, best country I've been to but I suppose the amount of time gave us the freedom to explore more than let's say a package holiday.....

But yeah if you go with flow and understand it for what it is, you will find it is a beautiful country..... There are some truly diamond places too....

Fuck I'd love to go back there
  • twelveways 26 Jan 2014 02:38:33 3,528 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I try to go for at least a few days every year, amazing country.
  • Deleted user 26 January 2014 06:37:51
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Going to book 2 or 3 weeks in thailand, maybe Karon beach area as its close to the man nightlife while far away from the nightlife. Been watching that "sun, sex, suspicious parents: thailand" it does seem its attracting the drunk British idiots like the knucle dragger in last weeks episode. Hopefully this is kept to the full moon party area on koh samui?
    Thats been my general worry about thailand, is british people. I;ve been sort of put of going there as a result. But i've talked to a few people in the last week who have been and warming to the idea. But i think i rather do vietnam and cambodia first.
  • modula 26 Jan 2014 07:58:17 210 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @joelstinton currently living in Bangkok so have done a fair bit of Thailand travel. It's true that the more well known islands are full of Brits on the piss types - samui, Phuket, phi phi, koh pagnan etc, plus Bangkok is too of course- but there are so many islands to choose from. Places like koh jum and the trang islands have less of that business going on, and if you go in off season lipe and lanta are winners; beautiful, beautiful places but loads of bars and bungalow places are closed in low season, so you can get amazing spots all to yourself... If you want SE Asia without all the lurid side of tourism, I can highly, highly recommend northern Laos; cheap as chips even for asia and nowhere near as over-developed for tourism. Oh and it's one of the most beautiful, friendly and chilled out places I've ever been, with most travellers there being a little older and wiser than often found in Thailand / Nam. No beaches though!
  • Darth_Flibble 26 Jan 2014 11:29:25 1,507 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Thats been my general worry about thailand, is british people. I;ve been sort of put of going there as a result. But i've talked to a few people in the last week who have been and warming to the idea. But i think i rather do vietnam and cambodia first.
    I wouldn't worry about British people from my past visits, although I suspect its sort of done for tv program I mentioned. The only real problems I've seen is pissed up Aussie 20 year old that use to go to bali and think Thailand is "their place" (like idiots do in Ibiza and Magaluf)
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jan 2014 11:51:40 8,784 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    Don't let it put you off, you only see the fannies if you go to specific places.
    I'm just back and didn't see a single pissed arsehole.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Khanivor 26 Jan 2014 12:12:31 39,907 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't they have mirrors in Thailand?
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Jan 2014 12:52:54 8,784 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Don't they have mirrors in Thailand?
    They keep breaking

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• localnotail 26 Jan 2014 13:53:38 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @modula Can you still go tubing on the river in Vang Vien in Laos? That place was like a Wild West frontier town when I was there in '03. I'm guessing you can't get opium in the bars any more, but can you still easily become a Kip millionaire? :D

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• StixxUK 26 Jan 2014 15:14:22 7,174 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now trying to decide between Angkor Wat and Chiang Mai before heading down south. I don't want to spend too long in Bangkok, it really doesn't look like my idea of fun.

Leaning toward Angkor Wat as it's more spectacular and Chiang Mai might be a bit too much like a smaller Bangkok. However it is more expensive and I'm also wondering if we go for 3-4 days if there's actually enough there to make it worth all that time...

Any advice appreciated!
  • JoeBlade 26 Jan 2014 17:04:18 2,417 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Now trying to decide between Angkor Wat and Chiang Mai before heading down south. I don't want to spend too long in Bangkok, it really doesn't look like my idea of fun.
    Though I didn't reach Chang Mai myself due to time constraints when I was in Thailand, everyone I know who visited that part was very positive about it. Many even considered it the best part of their Thailand trip.
    Don't know anyone who has visited Angkor Wat yet but it seems a bit too much out of the way for just one historical site. Might just be me though.

Bangkok is well worth it too IMO though I can certainly understand why not everyone would want to spend more than a day or two there. It has that universal "big city" feel to it for sure.
    I'd tell you to stay a few days for the food alone but that is glorious pretty much anywhere in Thailand :)
  • modula 26 Jan 2014 17:08:00 210 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @localnotail about a year ago they clamped down in vang vieng; you can go tubing but only 3 bars are open on the route now apparently. Also the vast majority (there might be one or two tucked away - we only stayed a night as as beautiful as the place is, the old party town reputation kept up the quota of c**ts) of the weed / shroom / opium bars have gone too. Yeah a million kip is about 75! I've never had such a fat wallet!
  • modula 26 Jan 2014 17:09:33 210 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @JoeBlade chiang mai is awesome; absolutely loved it there and wish we could live there instead of Bangkok!
  • Deleted user 26 January 2014 18:22:23
    thanks for replies earlier. Funnily enough at work today, i was talking to a friend of my dads, who is in her 60's, and she off to thailand this week, for 6 weeks. She got a niece who lives there, but she been before, and loves it. Really encouraged me to go! And on friday a regular customer came in, who i realised hadn't been in a while. Turns out he been to thailand for 3 months and goes every year. Not much younger either, but i think he goes there partially for the drugs as well ;).

My aunt and uncle (mid 60's again) just spent six week in vietnam and cambodia. These old timers eh! good on them!
  • Page

of 8 First / Last