Has the price of petrol made you drive slower?

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • angeltreats 14 Apr 2010 17:03:01 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just read that the average car uses 38% more petrol doing 70mph than it does doing 50mph.

From next week onwards, I'll be in the position where I have to drive about 300 miles a week, mostly on 70mph speed limit roads, but I won't be bringing in any money. Cos I'll be going to school, innit.

When I was working in Oxford I was burning up about 35 worth of petrol a week doing the same mileage, and that's a lot of money when you're poor and not getting any benefits or owt. So I'm toying with the idea of forcing myself to set off earlier and drive slowly (say 60ish) to try and save a few quid's worth of petrol.

However this will probably be absolute torture because I'm not what you'd call a slow driver and at 60mph I will probably fall asleep.

Has anyone had the same idea and have you noticed much difference in the fuel consumption? Is it worth torturing myself to save the pounds or is the difference negligible?
  • JuanKerr 14 Apr 2010 17:06:54 36,445 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've started to drive slower and it makes a really noticeable difference in fuel consumption, especially in my car which has a 2.0 litre turbo engine.

Just going 70mph on the motorway instead of 80-85mph makes a LOT of difference if you're doing regular long journeys.
  • ecu 14 Apr 2010 17:07:34 77,314 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No, I drive faster if anything.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Apr 2010 17:08:13 39,567 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My car has a useful cool looking annoying ecodrive gauge that lets me know how economically im driving.

Keeps me from accelerating at stupid speeds and keeps costs stable. Also ruins the chance of any fun. It should be called the guilt guage.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• angeltreats 14 Apr 2010 17:09:24 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh, my friend's car has something like that. Little arrows tell you when you should shift up or down in order to be ecowhatever. She also tries not to ever let the rev counter go over 2,000 but then wonders why her car isn't nippy enough...
  • nickthegun 14 Apr 2010 17:09:54 61,308 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Exactly the same as JK. I did a 150 mile trip up the M1 at easter driving like a granny on just over quarter of a tank.

I then went up to pick my brother up from the train station, a 40 mile round trip, and because I was on my own, used the peak district like my own personal rally stage. I got through the same amount of petrol as the main journey.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Goban 14 Apr 2010 17:10:46 9,107 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Same as JuanKerr. Also tend to go easier on the accelerator pedal when coming out of corners.
  • ronuds 14 Apr 2010 17:10:56 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Driving too slow can also drain your gas faster...
  • gamingdave 14 Apr 2010 17:10:56 4,334 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it still more economical if the car is on a treadmill?
  • ecu 14 Apr 2010 17:11:10 77,314 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Driving really slow makes me angry. I was doing 70 down the dual carriageway to uni and it felt so slow, and I was holding up traffic. Even lorries were overtaking me.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Apr 2010 17:12:29 39,567 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    angeltreats wrote:
    Heh, my friend's car has something like that. Little arrows tell you when you should shift up or down in order to be ecowhatever. She also tries not to ever let the rev counter go over 2,000 but then wonders why her car isn't nippy enough...

Yeah I drove like that, keeping it under 2000 revs and thought," this car isn't as fast as I thought it was" for about 3 months after buying it. Then my mate who owns the R type (I drive an 06 Honda civic) showed me how to drive it or should I say drink petrol.

Sufficed to say the R type has no eco meter. :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mrpon 14 Apr 2010 17:12:57 29,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I turn the aircon off, radio off, car completely empty, windows up and drive stark bollock naked.

I sometimes leave skidmarks.

/ambiguous

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Goban 14 Apr 2010 17:13:07 9,107 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Most of my driving is done on country roads so top speed is largely irrelevant, tends to be more about your approach to acceleration and braking.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2010 17:13:19
    It's not strictly about speed, but I definitely try to drive more steadily; less braking and accelerating.
  • JuanKerr 14 Apr 2010 17:14:24 36,445 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Exactly the same as JK. I did a 150 mile trip up the M1 at easter driving like a granny on just over quarter of a tank.

I then went up to pick my brother up from the train station, a 40 mile round trip, and because I was on my own, used the peak district like my own personal rally stage. I got through the same amount of petrol as the main journey.

I know what you mean. Did a mammoth drive to Oslo a few years ago and consistently managed to get 400-odd miles out of a tank when we were just cruising on the motorways hour after hour.

However, if I do lots of short journeys and feel like having a bit of a laugh, I reckon I'd get half that out of a tank.
  • askew 14 Apr 2010 17:14:51 12,719 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Driving really slow makes me angry. I was doing 70 down the dual carriageway to uni and it felt so slow, and I was holding up traffic. Even lorries were overtaking me.

Think your speedo might be buggered cos lorries are usually limited to 60!
  • ronuds 14 Apr 2010 17:15:16 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I turn the aircon off, radio off, car completely empty, windows up and drive stark bollock naked.

/ambiguous

What kind of skidmarks???
  • JuanKerr 14 Apr 2010 17:15:46 36,445 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mrpon wrote:

/ambiguous

I drive with the air-con on full blast, the radio on, windows down, my collection of anvils in the boot and a grand piano on my roof rack.
  • angeltreats 14 Apr 2010 17:15:56 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's not strictly about speed, but I definitely try to drive more steadily; less braking and accelerating.

Well the journey like I said is almost all on a 70mph dual carriageway, there's only about three miles to get onto it and then I'll have to pull in at a park and ride, so there'll be very little braking and accelerating to think about.
  • henro_ben 14 Apr 2010 17:16:16 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I now drive to work at 65 - nice and slow, but more importantly... steady. Makes a huge difference driving steadily at 65 rather than the accelerate/brake that you find yourself doing at higher speeds in rush hour.

It's saving me loads of petrol and has added around 3 minutes to my half an hour commute...
  • mrpon 14 Apr 2010 17:17:16 29,565 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Naked though JK? I need to know.

/readies tissue

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• ecu 14 Apr 2010 17:19:27 77,314 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    askew wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Think your speedo might be buggered cos lorries are usually limited to 60!

Nah, can't be that, my car starts vibrating at 80 so I always know when I hit it. :p Sure it's not 70? I have definitely had lorries overtake me while I was going 70, but most of them do seem to drive at around 60. I drive the same road every single day and no cars go under 70. It's also probably the safest road I've driven on.
  • Fake_Blood 14 Apr 2010 17:20:52 4,450 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I pretty much floor it as much as the fucker in front of me lets me.
  • ProfessorLesser 14 Apr 2010 17:21:39 19,417 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know I should drive slower and accelerate less, but goddamnit, life's too short. 70 can feel like a crawl, and my car chugs if I don't keep the revs up (at lower speeds). My Skoda's not too efficient as it is, either. Damnit, stupid petrol.
  • coastal 14 Apr 2010 17:29:27 5,390 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's a lot less stress sticking in the slow lane... and so much safer. There might be ten cars ahead of me up the middle but pull over [correctly] into the left hand lane and there might be one car 200m ahead. Safety % increase ftw.

Sticking to 65 does make a difference, i'd also recommend tucking in behind a lorry for that extra air break.

Prices so high now I reached the automatic maximum charge on the pay@pump before filling up to the top. 59 for 48 litres. :-(

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• angeltreats 14 Apr 2010 17:31:20 2,601 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Nah, can't be that, my car starts vibrating at 80 so I always know when I hit it. :p Sure it's not 70? I have definitely had lorries overtake me while I was going 70, but most of them do seem to drive at around 60. I drive the same road every single day and no cars go under 70. It's also probably the safest road I've driven on.

Are you talking about km? Because yeah, lorries are limited to 56mph as far as I know.
  • Deleted user 14 April 2010 17:33:18
    Nope, I drive as fast as possible without being a danger.
  • coastal 14 Apr 2010 17:34:05 5,390 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They can get round their speed limiter by applying pressure to the speed dial jamming the needle and applying the gas.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous