Will the end of cross-platform end the console war?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • TheGrevster 18 Mar 2010 15:32:30 16 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After listening to the Podcast, and hearing about the Forum and its lack of interesting topics, I've decided to try my hand at opening some debate.

My question put simply is "Will the end of cross-platform end the console war?"

Now, with many titles becoming non-exclusive to platforms such as Final Fantasy, coupled with a number of studios becoming independant i.e Bungie, do you think that because of the lack of money generated from singular console titles could end the ongoing battle between platforms?

We've recently seen Epic claim ownership to Gears of War, with the possibility of it going to Playstation, and the same can be said for games such as Metal Gear. It seems that the differentiating factor between consoles used to be the titles they had on offer, but since that line is becoming increasingly blurred, and the technical specifications being closer than ever, could we possibly see the end of competition between them? Even to go as far as saying could we see cross-platofrm online titles, such as Fifa?
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 18 Mar 2010 15:33:45 7,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Works for film and music so can't see why it wouldn't work for games.

EDIT: To elaborate.

It'll never happen, not while while any manufacturer (at the moment Nintendo, previously Sony) are making money hand over fist on their own hardware. What would need to happen is for another games crash to happen. Unlikely.

However I'd love to see a single platform agreed by developers akin to the standards agreed by film on DVD and (eventually) on Blu-ray.

These will free cash and resources that are currently taken up in producing multiplatform titles to be plowed back into new games instead. Plus it'd means a bigger audience for indie titles to find an audience.
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Mar 2010 15:35:41 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not a chance in hell.
  • TheGrevster 18 Mar 2010 15:36:50 16 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    Not a chance in hell.

Loving the cynicism :)
  • Flying_Pig 18 Mar 2010 15:39:12 10,681 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes..

Erm, No?

What was the question again?
  • brokenkey 18 Mar 2010 15:41:19 6,942 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its not really a war, is it? Its not even a conflict. Not enough deaths.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 18 Mar 2010 15:44:39 7,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Its not really a war, is it? Its not even a conflict. Not enough deaths.

...that we know about!

When did you last see J Allard, huh?
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 18 Mar 2010 15:44:44 8,935 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think it'll actually heighten it, as console makers will try even harder to differentiate themselves from the competition.
  • Syrette 18 Mar 2010 15:45:39 43,061 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheGrevster wrote:
    and hearing about the Forum and its lack of interesting topics

Cheeky.

• Blerk Moderator 18 Mar 2010 15:47:20 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheGrevster wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Not a chance in hell.

It's what I do. :-)

Until the day arrives where's there's a single machine created by a single manufacturer (i.e. never), there will always be some reason why the internets think that game X on platform Y is better than game X on platform Z which proves absolutely that platform Z is a worthless piece of shit. It's the nature of the beast.
  • brokenkey 18 Mar 2010 15:47:45 6,942 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    I think it'll actually heighten it, as console makers will try even harder to differentiate themselves from the competition.

hijack - Bill, as an american, can you answer this question - do high school cheerleaders walk round school every day wearing their cheerleading costumes, as seen on Glee, HSM and other media?

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Deleted user 18 March 2010 15:47:46
    Remember kids, gay is bad.
  • MiniAmin 18 Mar 2010 15:48:28 3,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Consolols

PC > Consoles.
  • TheGrevster 18 Mar 2010 15:49:42 16 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    TheGrevster wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Not a chance in hell.

It's what I do. :-)

Until the day arrives where's there's a single machine created by a single manufacturer (i.e. never), there will always be some reason why the internets thinks that game X on platform Y is better than game X on platform Z which proves absolutely that platform Y is a worthless piece of shit. It's the nature of the beast.

I would agree that 1 console will never rule them all. I just think it would be inetersting to open up the possibility of cross platform gaming over the interwebs.

Not only that but the possibility of such great exclusive games, going multi-platform i.e. Halo, God of War etc.
  • harhol 18 Mar 2010 15:49:55 156 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Console wars produce the best games. Games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted would not exist were it not for the existence of the 360.
  • TheGrevster 18 Mar 2010 15:51:40 16 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    harhol wrote:
    Console wars produce the best games. Games like Heavy Rain and Uncharted would not exist were it not for the existence of the 360.

I think this is most interesting of all, as the competition has surely sparked the need to create bigger, better and overly more impressive games.

But is that to say that one day we could never see these games acorss all plaforms, and maybe differentiate themselves possiblity via DLC a la GTA IV
  • Blerk Moderator 18 Mar 2010 15:52:15 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's zero chance of there ever being cross-platform online gaming, Microsoft/Sony would never allow it. And the manufacturers own titles will never go cross-platform either - you'll never, ever see God of War on a Microsoft machine or Halo on a Sony machine, simply because the IPs are owned by the console manufacturers themselves and not the teams that develop the games.
  • woodnotes 18 Mar 2010 15:54:58 4,921 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We were almost there last generation, with Sony dominating the console sales. As a result, the console had an insane amount of exclusives by default.

But then Sony went and messed it all up. lol.

And that's why we will never have a one-console future. Not in the near future, anyway.
  • robthehermit 18 Mar 2010 15:55:30 3,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Unless I read your opening post wrong, which is quite possible as I've got a splitting headache, your thread title is bollocks and should read end of console exclusives.

And to answer that question, no. Because there will never be an end to exclusives. And nor would I want there to be. Exclusive titles are supposed to be system sellers, and therefore bigger and better than the average cross platform title. Whether or not this is true in most cases is a moot point, but exclusive titles are where most of the innovation going forward should be.

Entire post could be rubbish. My head hurts.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• MrE26 18 Mar 2010 16:00:45 1,918 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    harhol wrote:
    I don't think that's necessarily true. There'd still be competition among game developers to create the biggest, shiniest new games even if there was only a single platform.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 18 Mar 2010 16:04:44 8,935 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    hijack - Bill, as an american, can you answer this question - do high school cheerleaders walk round school every day wearing their cheerleading costumes, as seen on Glee, HSM and other media?

Yes, at least they did at my high school. They have weird schedules and weird practices at weird times, I think that's why they do that.

and ecosse you lack originality.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 18 Mar 2010 16:05:14 7,003 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheGrevster wrote:
    harhol wrote:

I think this is most interesting of all, as the competition has surely sparked the need to create bigger, better and overly more impressive games.

But is that to say that one day we could never see these games acorss all plaforms, and maybe differentiate themselves possiblity via DLC a la GTA IV

As long as there are competing publishers they'll be competition - look at the film industry. You get a massive array of great films both populist and niche. The same could be true of gaming.

The only way I can see it working though is with Microsoft and Sony* coming up with a standard and then licensing it out to other manufacturers to produce the hardware while also taking a cut on the format too. It reduces the risk massively for both companies struggling to make a profit on the hardware, yet they can retain their popular IP to drive consumers to the new format and make large profits.

*(leaving Nintendo out of this as they make heaps off their hardware so have no incentive)
  • TheGrevster 18 Mar 2010 16:06:25 16 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rob the Hermit wrote:
    Unless I read your opening post wrong, which is quite possible as I've got a splitting headache, your thread title is bollocks and should read end of console exclusives.

And to answer that question, no. Because there will never be an end to exclusives. And nor would I want there to be. Exclusive titles are supposed to be system sellers, and therefore bigger and better than the average cross platform title. Whether or not this is true in most cases is a moot point, but exclusive titles are where most of the innovation going forward should be.

Entire post could be rubbish. My head hurts.

Sorry, I thought it was pretty clear that if games go mutli platform, that exclusivity would end, as thats obvious.

Go take a paracetamol :)
  • altitude2k 18 Mar 2010 16:22:01 3,729 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    white_frank_white wrote:
    There's a console war?

There are consoles other than the 360?
  • mcmonkeyplc 18 Mar 2010 16:23:23 39,384 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a 360?!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• MiniAmin 18 Mar 2010 16:25:25 3,389 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ^^ You guys are going round in circles ;)
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous