Deus Ex: Human Revolution Page 137

• Page

of 139 First / Last

• crashVoodoo 27 Jun 2012 08:46:43 3,858 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    i did a stealth run the first time through even as far as not setting off alarms. i really need to play this again but saddle up for death

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Widge Moderator 28 Jun 2012 02:34:09 13,400 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Very good so far, I'm into the atmosphere, the plot isn't the most involving in the world, so I'm just taking to belting around seeing which rooms and whatnot I can get into.

Interesting variant on shakey cam going on in the dialogue scenes, where instead of the camera moving around, the characters fidget about like buggery when talking.

The CGI is particularly jarring. Its blurry, smokey and dark, and then you cut to the same scene as generated by the game engine and its like someone has turned the lights on and a fan.

Rekindling my Metal Gear Solid 2 technique of old with Solid Neo here, which goes "tranquilise foe, take to nice quiet room and shoot in head... nice and tidy". This combined with the "RUN TO AN AIR VENT! I'VE BEEN FOUND!", is working quite effectively. I've got both a pistol and combat rifle with silencer and red dot, can't see myself needing anything else at the moment.

Oh, massively irritating is accidentally setting off Typhoon in a crowded space.

Edited by Widge at 02:35:51 28-06-2012

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• greg_wha 12 Jul 2012 18:23:54 191 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've been trying to get into this for a couple of nights but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm constantly getting rumbled and it's impossible to stand and fight.
  • WoodenSpoon 13 Jul 2012 02:05:57 12,285 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I seem to remember having to stealth kill a lot.

People talk it up as though it's an RPG/Shooter/Stealth-'em-up but in reality I think it's a stealth game with conversation trees and the occasional shoot out. Maybe you aren't playing it 'right'?
  • SlackMaster 13 Jul 2012 08:24:35 3,132 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @WoodenSpoon If you go in all guns blazing I don't think it ever turns out all that well.

I did a stealth run through the game, the way I think the game tries to persuade you to do. I wanted to get the zero casualties 'achievement' but a guy I stunned fell into some electrified water and it killed him. By that point I'd made some real progress and forgot to save so couldn't be arsed going back.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• bobdebob 13 Sep 2012 22:02:41 579 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At the end of the Missing Link DLC, it says something along the lines of 'we'll be back for more' or something, did they ever say that they will be making more DLC?

Because I got the impression, in interviews, that there was quite a bit of stuff they had to cut out the main game before the deadline, something about a third city hub.

Edited by bobdebob at 22:03:09 13-09-2012
  • StixxUK 2 Nov 2012 23:13:14 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well, this game certainly opens up a bit after the first hub area.

Not entirely sure if I like it more or not but Hong Kong is a lot bigger than Detroit, but so far with seemingly much less to do in the way of side-quests. That said, I have just arrived so there may be a lot more waiting.

Starting to really like the game, at first I thought it was a "lite" kind of experience, but now I'd probably more go with "streamlined". Have mostly done stealth and non-lethal takedowns so far, but I do feel a killing spree coming on. think I might rig an area with mines, tool up with the biggest gun I can find, drop into a group of enemies from a great height and typhoon their asses before picking off stragglers.

There actually really do seem to be a lot of different routes to each objective, each with choices to be made within them. Lots of fun.

Anyone else still playing this?
  • Mola_Ram 2 Nov 2012 23:18:10 7,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I may do a run where I kill as many people as possible using fridges and vending machines.
  • SteveHolt 3 Nov 2012 09:58:48 425 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Starting to really like the game, at first I thought it was a "lite" kind of experience, but now I'd probably more go with "streamlined". Have mostly done stealth and non-lethal takedowns so far, but I do feel a killing spree coming on. think I might rig an area with mines, tool up with the biggest gun I can find, drop into a group of enemies from a great height and typhoon their asses before picking off stragglers.

You really need to do this. Yes, it will forfeit a couple achievements, but it works very well and is great fun. Equip a couple flash grenades, make yourself immune to them, build a decent shotgun/revolver, upgrade sprint+jump to the max and storm the place.
  • StixxUK 3 Nov 2012 10:19:01 7,238 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @SteveHolt Yeah totally, I think I've already missed out on achievements as I took down a few of the Derelict Row Ballers in Detroit at the beginning, just couldn't get past them sneakily so I resorted to bullet hell.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Nov 2012 10:24:21 7,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The trickiest "no-kills" bit for me was doing it while saving the helicopter lady (Malik?). Was tough because of the time limit and the exploding bots around.
  • crashVoodoo 4 Nov 2012 08:33:29 3,858 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    The trickiest "no-kills" bit for me was doing it while saving the helicopter lady (Malik?). Was tough because of the time limit and the exploding bots around.
    I didnt even try. Found just navigating that area without getting shot hard enough.  Think I'll get this back off my mate and give it another run through.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Mola_Ram 4 Nov 2012 08:40:59 7,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I didnt even try. Found just navigating that area without getting shot hard enough.  Think I'll get this back off my mate and give it another run through.
    It was certainly doable (after a couple of goes) with a stun gun and a few non-lethal takedowns. Hardest thing about it was taking out the bot without dudes getting caught in the explosion. I literally had to drag one unconscious body out of the blast radius.

But I'm glad I did it! I'd resolved from the start to do a highest difficulty/no alarms/no kills run, and wasn't going to give up easily! :)
  • nickthegun 4 Nov 2012 09:08:09 59,332 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I very nearly did it on give me deus ex but the non-lethal options really do make it tough. In the end I let my explosive revolver do the talking and it wasnt too bad.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• thefilthandthefury 5 Jan 2013 14:33:44 24,983 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is this playable with a 360 controller? I picked it up in the Steam sale but I'm rather partial to laying about on the couch like a lazy sod when I play games like this but I don't want to totally hamper the quality of the game in the process.

I found that Skyrim was quite playable with a pad, if that helps. I only ever used a handful of spells at a time in that anyway!
  • LionheartDJH 5 Jan 2013 14:43:28 19,373 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    Is this playable with a 360 controller?
    Yep. Enjoy, great game.

Edited by LionheartDJH at 14:44:33 05-01-2013

She dives for cheese pasties

• monkehhh 5 Jan 2013 14:54:04 3,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's fine on the pad.. it's a great game too, currently a bit through my more violent playthrough as it's only fun sneaking for so long. /throws vending machine
  • FWB 5 Jan 2013 15:01:00 44,074 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Absolutely fine on the pad. Need to replay this more violently too. Didn't kill anyone the first time.
  • thefilthandthefury 5 Jan 2013 16:25:18 24,983 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah good, good! Sounds perfect then. Waited ages to play this!
  • L_Franko Moderator 14 Feb 2013 13:51:59 9,694 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Started this last night and have just got to the section where you get to go walk around the streets for the first time.
    It looks really nice and runs like a beauty. I did notice that the load screens are quite long but I'm guessing that will improve if I install it.

The first mission was needed to be reloaded at a couple of points while I was getting used to the gameplay but in the end I managed to do the level with no kills or triggered alarms.
    I've no intention of doing the whole game silently so at some point I'm going to need to find a big gun.
  • dancingrob 13 Apr 2013 13:44:14 1,158 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Started this last night, and played through the prologue / about half the first level of medium difficulty.

I'm obviously not getting something somewhere along the line as I'm finding the whole thing frustrating / incredibly difficult, with poor controls.

I suspect part of the problem is that this is the first 'proper' stealth game I've ever played (unless you count Batman:AA/AC) so I'm trying to play it a bit too much as a shooter really.

I suspect I'll abandon this particular run, and then try again in a couple of months on easy, but in the meantime any tips/tricks for getting into the right mentality to play?
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Apr 2013 14:39:31 16,920 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You really have to give it some time to gather pace. I was exactly the same, I gave up on it twice and only once I decided to play it as a combination of a shooter and a stealth game did I begin to enjoy it. One has an inclination to think that the city is a hub world and there's lots to do but really you should just focus on the missions; it's actually quite a linear game in that regard.

I suggest that you go for the inventory upgrades and the typhoon as both become very handy later on. If you want it to be a shooter then do play it that way as there is some fun to be had in that method. Also, most situations have several different methods of completion, so you can try the stealth way and if that becomes frustrating then blast away at everyone, there isn't really much penalty either way.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mola_Ram 13 Apr 2013 14:47:41 7,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Easiest way to fun:

1. Get strength upgrade.
    2. Find a fridge.
    3. Pick up the fridge.
    4. Get as many fridge kills as you can until you find another fridge.
  • Kanjin 14 Apr 2013 17:57:03 1,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Typhoon is a MUST have, just for the first boss. The later one's aren't so bad if you're on a stealth run but god, that asshole can go and die in a fire.
  • FWB 14 Apr 2013 18:03:58 44,074 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No, it isn't. I never used it. Just drop a load of explosive packs. That's how I got through all the bosses.
  • Kanjin 14 Apr 2013 18:06:21 1,079 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    No, it isn't. I never used it. Just drop a load of explosive packs. That's how I got through all the bosses.
    Whatever works. I didn't have anything like that on me because I was going pacifist. Think I ended up blowing up barrels near him.
  • FWB 14 Apr 2013 18:10:50 44,074 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Didn't kill anyone either the whole game, just figured I would need them for robots. Though the Typhoon is probably easier to use, I killed each boss in about five seconds with the packs.

By the end I had a ton of skill points I never used, so I guess you might as well dump some into the Typhoon.

Edited by FWB at 18:12:07 14-04-2013
  • RedSparrows 14 Apr 2013 18:42:58 22,215 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, the skill tree needed work: too many redundant points.
  • Widge Moderator 20 May 2013 15:27:07 13,400 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm just back in Detroit for the first time in ages. I have plenty of gaps to stick skill points in right now (i.e. I haven't really done any combat ones).

I've enjoyed playing the game, but looking back I have gripes. I found the story to be pretty poor. Once the thrall of exploring Detroit or Hong Kong for the first time starts to drift, the middle part of the game shifts into an extended dull patch where you wonder why on earth you are doing the things you are doing. The acting is pretty shady in places and the dialogue a bit shoddy. Especially when compared to something like Mass Effect or Bioshock.

All that in mind, the actual mechanics around this were really solid... I've enjoyed getting through each area as invisibly as possible each time. Once I got myself sorted with vision cones, I was a very happy bunny. Also having full hacking abilities suits my OCD nature of exploring.

Now I am nearing 30 hours on the Steam "hours played" counter, I must surely be getting near the end.

Oh and a massive gripe... the FMV quality is terrible, massively jarring. Hate it when those scenes cut in.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Commander-Keen 20 May 2013 16:16:44 806 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    I've enjoyed playing the game, but looking back I have gripes. I found the story to be pretty poor. Once the thrall of exploring Detroit or Hong Kong for the first time starts to drift, the middle part of the game shifts into an extended dull patch where you wonder why on earth you are doing the things you are doing.
    Isn't that the basic bit of suspension of belief with pretty much every single game of this type?

"Ahhhh mighty world saving hero! THANK GOD YOU HAVE COME TO US IN OUR TIME OF NEED! Ooooh, and if you're going that way, would you mind running this down to Mrs Smith on the corner? And getting my cat out of the tree? And also, I could do with eleventy billion squirrel furs for a new hat I want to make..."

Widge wrote:The acting is pretty shady in places and the dialogue a bit shoddy. Especially when compared to something like Mass Effect or Bioshock.
    I don't think it's *that* bad personally. Though dodgy voice acting was pretty much a hallmark of the original. Especially in Hong Kong. Christ. That said, I think with Mass Effect, they somehow lucked out and got some freakishly good voice actors in, especially if you played a female Shepard.

Also, Jensen has to be the worst Head of Security evar, given all the shit that goes down on his shift.
  • Page

of 139 First / Last