Vaping adventures Page 55

• Page

of 114 First / Last

• CosmicFuzz 15 May 2013 07:23:58 23,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What the fuck are you talking aboit

Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

• Dirtbox 15 May 2013 07:40:53 77,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He's a spammer.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• TheRealBadabing 16 May 2013 19:30:37 1,296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If anyone is tempted to take the plunge and try a rebuildable (tip: you should), I am selling a couple of mine off. All prices include RM recorded delivery to UK:

Line V2 (review here) in good condition. Great genesis atty. 50.

Diver rebuildable. This one is quite new so no reviews as such. A setup video is here. Designed to be used inside a standard carto tank. 35.

Edited by TheRealBadabing at 21:14:19 16-05-2013
  • BillMurray 18 Jun 2013 11:28:06 7,693 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    About to buy myself a starter kit that Mr Sleep posted a page or two back. What's the difference between PG and VG and are all the liquids universal? There's so many categories of e liquid on the Liberty Flights page, wasn't quite sure if they're just brands or what.
  • Dirtbox 18 Jun 2013 11:33:07 77,661 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    VG is more gloopy, makes more vapour and your atties don't last as long. It's also a bit harsher.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• BillMurray 18 Jun 2013 11:35:12 7,693 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gotcha, think i'll go with PG for my first go. I'm not much of a heavy smoker so I don't mind if it's a bit weak.
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Jun 2013 11:35:40 16,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The main difference between PG and VG as I understand it is that VG tends to burn faster and create more vapour. I usually use VG as I prefer the pull but it's worth experimenting with both to find what suits. There's something on the site:

What is VG e liquid and how is it different than PG e liquid?
    VG E-Liquid uses glycerol (also called glycerin or glycerine) as a base for the nicotine and flavourings. Our VG is made from vegetables (VG = vegetable Glycerin). Compared to PG which uses propylene glycol (also called 1,2-propanediol or propane-1,2-diol) as a base, positive VG attributes are it tends to be thicker, produces more vapour and accentuates the smell from the flavourings. However, throat hit is diminished slightly, flavours are not as pronounced and it tends to vape quicker so a bottle might not last as long.

The liquids are universal, they're mostly just different flavours and vapes. I'd say you want to be looking at a tobacco one and then try out a bunch of the other flavours, maybe with a bit of tobacco flavour mixed in. I use green tea and energy drink for the most part but there's a massive selection to chose from, everyone has their favourites. I'd say avoid mint and peanut butter!

Also, I'd say once you have got going and your clearmoisers start packing up then definitely invest in ones that allow you to replace the wick as opposed to the sealed units. Saves a lot of money in the long run.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 11:37:38 18-06-2013

You are a factory of sadness.

• BillMurray 18 Jun 2013 11:41:47 7,693 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smashing. Thanks for the advice chaps. Will post thoughts once my kit arrives.
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Jun 2013 11:45:08 16,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I find that the tobacco ones become redundant pretty quickly but it certainly helps the transition. I'm actually looking for new flavours now as I'm a little bored of energy drink and green tea but I'm not quite sure what to get. I did enjoy chocolate so maybe it's that one for me.

• BillMurray 18 Jun 2013 11:58:07 7,693 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got tobacco with the starter kit just out of curiosity. I've ordered some energy drink and coffee flavour also.
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Jun 2013 12:07:05 16,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The energy drink one has a throat hit that might surprise you at first and it's really very sweet but it hits the spot for me and is one of the best ones I have smoked. Coffee I did use for a while and it's quite good. Also in future you might want to try the cherry cola flavour as a lot of people seem to like that one.

• LeoliansBro 18 Jun 2013 15:47:38 43,673 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interesting discussion on the pros and cons.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Mr_Sleep 18 Jun 2013 17:08:22 16,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Most all of the arguments I have read/heard are pretty fatuous, the idea that e-cigarettes will lead people to smoke proper cigarettes is pretty counter intuitive. I'm all for regulation but banning them seems very odd indeed, it's a revenue stream if nothing else and it is helpful to the likes of me who still want nicotine but want an alternative to normal cigarettes.

Also, arguments that nicotine is toxic are fair enough but the quantities required to be harmful are not something that is available via vaporising. I can imagine there will be a story of some child drinking the e-liquids and then everyone will get hysterical.

• crwoody 8 Jul 2013 13:53:07 2,610 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    After I failed 1 year ago, I've given this another go.

Last week I bought a eGo-CE4 with energy drink flavour, in that time I've had 0 cigarettes.

Just out of interest, how long do the bottles of e liquid last? I've got through 10ml in 8 days.
  • crwoody 22 Aug 2013 12:29:56 2,610 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This vaping lark has now clicked. I've been off the fags for 8 weeks solid. \o/

I've moved on from the ego battery to a eVic with protanks, which I am re-wicking myself.

Had a few ups and downs with liquids, but as from next week (payday) I will be mixing my own.

My only downside to all this, is that I keep wanting to buy more and more new things to play with.

Currently eyeing up a provari, I can feel my wallet screaming!
  • gamingdave 22 Aug 2013 17:27:29 4,216 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I went from an ego/boge setup to a Provari within a few months. I thought why not, I had already saved the money by then to pay for it. Now got a few other bits including a Semovar which is better than the Provari (though that has served me exceedingly well and is still used).

It can get very tempting to buy all the gadgets. Nearly spent 200 on a pipe earlier!

I started making my own liquids at one point, but to be honest, I gave up pretty quickly. It's a very tricky process. I thought it would just be like mixing a cocktail, but the problem is you need to wait 24 hours for the flavour to mix before tasting so its a very slow process with masses of trial and error. Of course you can find other peoples recipies on line, but for me, it wasnt worth it.

I nearly exclusively vape stuff from House of Liquid. Not the cheapest but easily the best IMO. Eden is my all day vape, with a bit of Minotaur in the evening/pub.
  • smoothpete 22 Aug 2013 17:58:08 31,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just to totally do the whole annoying reformed smoker thing, but isn't it easier to knock it all on the head completely?
  • TheRealBadabing 22 Aug 2013 18:28:00 1,296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Just to totally do the whole annoying reformed smoker thing, but isn't it easier to knock it all on the head completely?
    For some people yeah but we do not all have the same psychology and physiology.

Becomes a bit of a hobby for some of us, too :)
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Aug 2013 18:34:23 16,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I am not sure easier is really the word, it would certainly be cheaper but I have never had any success quitting and I enjoy the affects of nicotine so this is the best alternative.

• alexm 22 Aug 2013 18:43:01 254 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Apologies for asking a question I'm sure has been asked an awful lot already but is vaping 100% fine your health...I know most people on this forum are stepping down from cigarettes so it's all good but I'm one of the few people who has gone in a month from smoking a pack a month of regular cigs (if that) to puffing E-Cigs all the time.

I'm in my mid-twenties and it would be frigging awesome if I can enjoy everything I like about smoking without ANY risk instead of quitting smoking all together. Just one of those weird things where it's hard to Google a definitive answer for some reason...
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Aug 2013 18:47:51 16,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suspect there isn't a definitive answer yet as they haven't been in existence for that long, it took many years for cigarettes being linked to lung cancer so it may be a while before anyone figures the dangers out. One thing I know from my year or so of smoking them is that my lungs feel much more healthy than they did when I was smoking roll ups.

• mal 22 Aug 2013 19:01:25 22,419 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I gave up the rollies just before these things hit the mainstream (five years ago, fwiw). If they'd been available, I'd probably have switched, and I do sometime envy you vapers. Not that I'd start vaping now - took me long enough to stop having to do something with my hands the first time.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• TheRealBadabing 22 Aug 2013 19:23:06 1,296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Apart from a widely-criticised and thoroughly debunked FDA report a few years ago, I believe every study has found e-cigs to be relatively harmless.

Long term evidence specifically aimed at e-cigs is obviously not possible yet but research has been done on almost every component of the liquid at various times and no concerns have been raised. In fact an old study on the effects of inhaling propyl glycerin found it actually inhibited the flu virus :)

Considering how quickly people jump at whatever the latest food and drink fad might be, without doing any research beyond the advertorial in the Mail on Sunday, I am amazed at how e-cigs are viewed with such suspicion. Maybe it's because they sound too good to be true.
  • JiveHound 22 Aug 2013 19:30:30 2,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Has anyone actually managed to quit with these things? Everyone I know that has tried - and there's been quite a few - is back on normal fags within a couple of weeks.

I managed to quit smoking after being in pretty heavy on my third attempt after using Champix. This was all just before 'vaping' became a thing. I may have tried it myself as I had tried everything else. I think by the third time I was really ready to quit.

I'm not being critical of these e-cigarettes per se but I don't think people are actually buying them with any sort of plan, all other techniques at least have some sort of method.

Edited by JiveHound at 19:32:11 22-08-2013

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 22 Aug 2013 19:34:29 2,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    crwoody wrote:
    This vaping lark has now clicked. I've been off the fags for 8 weeks solid. \o/

I've moved on from the ego battery to a eVic with protanks, which I am re-wicking myself.

Had a few ups and downs with liquids, but as from next week (payday) I will be mixing my own.

My only downside to all this, is that I keep wanting to buy more and more new things to play with.

Currently eyeing up a provari, I can feel my wallet screaming!
    See, your post just makes me cynical that it's one industry trying to overtake another rather than actually trying to get people off a drug.

Then again when has a pharmaceutical company actually wanted to help anyone?

• TheRealBadabing 22 Aug 2013 19:44:41 1,296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Most people that "try to quit" with them buy the cheapest crap they can get away with, then blame the device for not being some sort of magic bullet.

Everyone I know that has been successful did not start by depending on the e-cig to make them stop. Most started using them as an alternative to going outside for a smoke and naturally cut down from there.
  • Mr_Sleep 22 Aug 2013 19:44:55 16,928 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If they are not actually harmful then I am not sure what the necessity is to be off nicotine, it actually has some beneficial aspects. Do you feel the same about caffeine? I am also pretty cynical about the industry popping up though.

Personally I am not using them in an effort to quit so e cigs taking over is fine by me.

• crwoody 22 Aug 2013 19:44:56 2,610 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JiveHound

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what pharmaceutical company is promoting vaping? As I'm not sure there is one.

All I know is that I feel better from vaping than I would from smoking.

I really don't see vaping as a way to quit the fags as such, more of an alternative.
  • RightBean 22 Aug 2013 19:52:50 639 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I am concerned about some aspects of e-cigarettes though, like the inhalation of silica fibres, and the metals used in the atomiser.. This is mostly cheap chinese shit don't forget. While you can use safe metals, there is no alternative to the silica or fibreglass wick yet. Still it is probably better than smoking, but who knows, we will find out in 10/15 years. However at that point, any health problems will probably be blamed on fags as most e-cig users are ex smokers.
  • JiveHound 22 Aug 2013 21:08:34 2,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    crwoody wrote:
    @JiveHound

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what pharmaceutical company is promoting vaping? As I'm not sure there is one.

I wasn't stating they were.

Edited by JiveHound at 21:09:27 22-08-2013

• Page

of 114 First / Last