The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 34

• Page

of 58 First / Last

• sport 12 Jan 2013 16:38:07 12,776 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not those type of sites, hey psycho?
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 16:54:44
    Psychotext wrote:
    Does anyone know of any Firefox addons which can check pages for modifications and notify you when they're updated? There are a whole bunch of bookmarks I check for new info (some daily, some monthly, some even longer) and I must waste an utterly massive amount of time doing it this way.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/check4change/
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 16:56:42
    Oh wait, that only monitors pages you have open. Try this one instead. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/update-scanner/
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 16:57:36
    Or there's also this - http://www.changedetection.com/
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2013 16:59:21 54,405 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers, will have a look.

...and no sport, these sites are from the dark ages. :)
  • Psychotext 12 Jan 2013 20:04:42 54,405 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bah, I don't think either of them will do. The latter basically detects every change and the addon is picking up things like adverts changing (there's more text in the advert than the bit I'm looking for updates in).

I had an addon which you could highlight a part of the page to watch, but that only works for open tabs.
  • mal 12 Jan 2013 21:30:02 22,710 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sites would have to be pretty ancient to not offer an RSS feed. I use that for most sites I want to keep an eye on. If they don't do one then I usually just say fuhgettaboutit.

Anyway, foodie question from me. I cooked some supermarket fish yesterday, and forgot to throw away the wrapper until today. I was rather surprised that the liquid in it wasn't all fat - the fat was floating on the surface of a liquid that had set, so evidently had a lot of gelatin in. Question is, is it worth saving and freezing this for when I'm making fish stock? Takes me a long time to collect enough fish bits for making fish stock. I guess it would go in only a few minutes before the end so as to not overcook it and spoil the flavour.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 12 Jan 2013 22:08:58 54,405 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That's not really an option.

...and no, that's not going to be much use for fish stock. Also, buy the stock that comes in bottles, it's far easier. :p
  • mal 12 Jan 2013 22:15:01 22,710 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ah, okay. Wiki reckonned fish stock often lacks enough gelatin to be much use for e.g. fish aspic.

I blame my scottish genes. It's more about getting the most use out of an animal as anything else.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• skuzzbag 1 Feb 2013 22:33:30 5,651 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can anyone tell me if these Android based tablets really can watch BBC iplayer or is it just crap?

The BBC Media Play (apparently the new iplayer for Android) applicaton opens a browser on the BBC webpage then happily informs you that you need to download flash, which you can't get - hence the need for this BBC app.

It's a bit confusing.
  • Steve_Perry 1 Feb 2013 22:37:34 4,574 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What tablet?

VIVA STEFANSEN

• dsmx 2 Feb 2013 00:25:28 7,652 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well on my nexus 7 I've got the iplayer working so yes it is perfectly possible. Firefox, xda version of flash I think it was and forcing the iplayer into desktop mode and it works just fine.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Steve_Perry 2 Feb 2013 13:56:11 4,574 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    My mate has a sub 100 quid tablet which he couldnt get iPlayer running on. Not had any trouble with it on nexus 7.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• skuzzbag 2 Feb 2013 19:51:35 5,651 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • skuzzbag 2 Feb 2013 19:52:26 5,651 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Steve_Perry
    It's an Asus T201 (Transformer Prime)
  • wogsy81 5 Feb 2013 17:38:03 748 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Im just sat here wondering.

What happened to that "The Cube" game that was hyped to be an "amazing social experiment" by that fella Peter Molyneux?

Does anyone still play it
    Has anyone found out what was inside the cube yet?
    Surely it can't still be going on can it?
    Was the game actually any fun?
    Is it now considered a success or was it a load of shit that failed miserably?
  • MisterObvious 5 Feb 2013 17:57:56 1,415 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @skuzzbag
    Get flash from here: http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/android/11.1.115.27/install_flash_player_ics.apk (think that's the most up-to-date version)
    Get Firefox beta from the play store
    Force desktop version of the iplayer site when you visit it, and all should be gravy.

Alternatively, wait for the BBC to sort out their damn app so that it works properly on larger android tablets (been through this with my Nexus 10, less than impressed).

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Blotto 5 Feb 2013 18:03:27 2,776 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote:
    Im just sat here wondering.

What happened to that "The Cube" game that was hyped to be an "amazing social experiment" by that fella Peter Molyneux?

Does anyone still play it
    Has anyone found out what was inside the cube yet?
    Surely it can't still be going on can it?
    Was the game actually any fun?
    Is it now considered a success or was it a load of shit that failed miserably?
    This. Google doesn't really say anything's happened but I'm sure this was meant to be out ages ago... How long can it take to make? It's only a cube.
  • Fake_Blood 5 Feb 2013 18:11:45 4,296 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 'game' is called curiosity, it's been out on iOS for 91 days, they've removed 187 layers. There's 37 million cubelets remaining which will take another 2 years last I heard.
  • cubbymoore 5 Feb 2013 18:14:25 36,501 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah a guy managed to get inside and it turned out that unlocking the cube opened up another kickstarter.
  • wogsy81 5 Feb 2013 18:21:36 748 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Fake_Blood Thanks very much fella.

And no wonder google was fobbing me off. I thought it was called "The Cube" :)

And another 2 years?? Holy moly. Something tells me Molyneux expected it to be a bigger hit then that.
  • Psychotext 5 Feb 2013 19:21:16 54,405 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote:
    Something tells me Molyneux expected it to be a bigger hit then that.
    Doubtful, they got fucked by how many people were using it. Completely unprepared.

What probably happened is that they added too many layers to make up for it and didn't realise that after a while everyone would stop playing.
  • stephenb 5 Feb 2013 19:23:56 2,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    skuzzbag wrote:
    @Steve_Perry
    It's an Asus T201 (Transformer Prime)
    I've got an Asus transformer and it works fine on mine. Had to download the app, but no problems since.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• macmurphy 5 Feb 2013 19:55:58 999 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was going to start a thread but I bottled it.

Anyone know how to rob banks?

Specifically a few years back that cagefighter robbed the tonbridge cash depot (there's a big wiki article if you fancy it). I was reading up on it and basically there were a catalogue of security cock ups, but the gist of it was every holding centre should have remote CCTV (ie. people watching the centre off site that will press an alarm if they see anything) - for some reason they didn't work, I think they have a lot to look at. And also personal alarms for the major staff (that weren't pressed). This prevents tiger kidnappings (whereby robbers kidnap say a manager's family - either he presses the alarm as he's being kidnapped or another worker presses the alarm whenever said manager turns up at an odd time.)

Anyone know how you could get round this? I was chatting with mates; hopefully a few of you you will recognise me as a long time if intermittant poster and not a bank robber. If anyone knows and can shed some light I'd love to know.

Just ideas as to how you might get around it would be appreciated. The best I could come up with is an inside man in the cash depot to take the batteries out of personal alarms, followed by tiger kidnapping to get manager with keys to safe, coupled with an inside man, or possibly just a temporary armed takeover of the CCTV site - I figure the security there would be average since it doesn't hold cash.

Anyone think why this wouldn't work or have a better idea?

I know this an odd post, just humour me.

EDIT: I'm writing a book or something.

Edited by macmurphy at 20:08:01 05-02-2013
  • mrpon 5 Feb 2013 20:03:41 29,205 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At least say you're writing a book or something.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• SparkyMarky81 5 Feb 2013 20:05:31 567 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @macmurphy

Dig a tunnel from the sewers, up into the vault. I'm sure I've seen it work somewhere...
  • FWB 5 Feb 2013 20:08:17 44,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just put baskets on the the guards' heads so they can't see. Works in Skyrim.
  • Kostabi 5 Feb 2013 20:19:05 4,982 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With the setups these days you definitely need an inside man, or at the very least a recent employee with intimate knowledge.

Besides, money and valuables (be they people or jewels) are at their most vulnerable in transit. The guys on the cash-in-transit vans are over worked, under paid and largely don't give a fuck about the cargo, hit them in the face.
  • FWB 5 Feb 2013 20:20:32 44,852 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Perhaps you could kidnap some family members. They like that on S.America.
  • ronuds 5 Feb 2013 20:21:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cut the line between bank and police.
  • Page

of 58 First / Last