The 'Random questions that don't warrant their own threads' thread - part 2 Page 44

• Page

of 56 First / Last

• Bremenacht 18 Oct 2013 11:10:23 18,275 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No, because your bath moves and flexes* so you need a sealant that can move and flex too. It getting mouldy is just normal. Just rip it out and do it again when it goes beyond cleaning.

*Unless you've got a granite tub or something, in which case, why aren't you in it, supping champers and laughing?
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Oct 2013 11:22:14 17,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I see. It has certainly reached beyond the cleaning stage, hopefully it'll be easy to rip out because the stuff around the window took ages.

I fear if I had a granite tub then I would end up taking a bath in the kitchen.

You are a factory of sadness.

• muttler 18 Oct 2013 12:58:58 4,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Random question, hoping EG cat lovers can help.  Im going to house sit for friends for three weeks and look after their 2 young cats, both under a year old.  He says their litter tray will need changing twice a day, and cleaned once a day.  Their going to leave lots of food for me in the fridge and freezer, but I was wondering is it normal to be paid to cat sit for this sort of time and if so how much?  Bareing in mind it's mates rates, I really don't mind doing it because they have a nice house, and I love cats.  Plus I owe them, so I could ask to take some off the debt or whatever.
  • billythekid 18 Oct 2013 13:09:08 11,138 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I wouldn't expect to paid at all for doing that. You're getting a house to yourself for three weeks, that's your payment.
  • Salaman 18 Oct 2013 13:30:46 19,068 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nah, never heard of anyone paying for cat-sitting. UNless it's like a pet hotel where you drop them off so they can stay a few days.
  • Psychotext 18 Oct 2013 13:32:35 54,209 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd expect a token gift on their return (beers / wine / spirits). Anything less and I'd be pretty annoyed.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 18 Oct 2013 13:41:11 3,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I was paid in jaffa cakes and sex for cat sitting for my girlfriends parents. Ask for jaffa cakes. And sex.
  • CharlieStCloud 18 Oct 2013 13:50:05 5,202 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    I was paid in jaffa cakes and sex for cat sitting for my girlfriends parents. Ask for jaffa cakes. And sex.
    I suppose your girlfriend didn't mind?
  • Doomspoon 18 Oct 2013 13:53:20 2,469 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did your girlfriend know about that arrangement? Was it both parents?
  • TheMayorOfJugs 18 Oct 2013 14:11:09 3,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    We stayed in their house for a week you see gents, so twas, in actual actuality, her, who provided the sexes. The jaffas were better though.
  • muttler 18 Oct 2013 16:45:15 4,037 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lol, ok thanks.
  • Jeepers 5 Nov 2013 10:10:10 13,181 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Help me solve an argument with my wife.

Is it better to turn down individual radiators to control heat, or to turn down the temperature output of the boiler, affecting all radiators?
  • nickthegun 5 Nov 2013 10:11:22 59,937 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which side are you on?

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Jeepers 5 Nov 2013 10:13:16 13,181 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :D

Not sayin' in the interest of honesty.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 5 Nov 2013 10:15:47 3,539 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Tie a cat to a radiator in your house, adjusting temperatures with boiler.

Tie one in another house, adjusting the individual radiator.

Have a control house with a cat tied to a cold radiator.

Whichever screams more is on the most effective source.

Edit: IE, the one that turned down less is screaming louder.

Edited by TheMayorOfJugs at 10:25:44 05-11-2013
  • AcidSnake 5 Nov 2013 10:29:43 7,276 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Jeepers:
    Go for the source!
    By turning down the boiler you'll use less gas, whereas turning down the radiators means they just mix in less hot water in proportion to the cold water contained within them...

Of course fancy pants new systems can measure the pressure required by the radiators and burn accordingly, but going for the source is always your best bet...

Did you win?

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Jeepers 5 Nov 2013 10:45:51 13,181 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    \o/

Pow! Right in the kisser for Mrs Jeepers!
  • DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 10:48:11 22,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No no no! That's wrong! You almost never touch the main boiler. That's like using the main engines on a ship for delicate docking manoeuvres. You use the boiler to get it in the right general range, for the season, then fine tune with the individual radiator each day. If they'd realised this principle on the Titanic, it would've sailed past that iceberg.

Source: I know nothing about gas because all my heaters are electric storage heaters. I just like similes. And smileys :) That bit about the Titanic isn't true. I don't think it even had thrusters, though I believe the Titanic II will have.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 10:50:55 4,106 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DFawkes Maybe it would have thrusters, if you were Zap Brannigan.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• AcidSnake 5 Nov 2013 10:53:33 7,276 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No no no, that's wrong!
    You tune the boiler to the maximum heat you want to reach and then fine-tune with the radiators!

Otherwise it's like trying to steer the Titanic around the iceberg with paddles!
    Also, kamikaze polar bears...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• grey_matters 5 Nov 2013 10:58:41 3,756 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is the house travelling near the speed of light? Is it partially submerged yet suspended from a crane? Dear God man, we need more information!
  • DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 10:59:58 22,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still no! if you put the boiler to the maximum heat you want and the temperature outside drops, you've got no room to go up. You have to set the boiler a good bit above what you want, then tune that down with radiators. That way, if it all goes The Day After Tomorrow, BAM radiators up and you're saved. It'd be like the Titanic having a huge jet engine that'd have got them out of trouble.

Just to be 100% clear, don't take this advice. I didn't even know that changing the setting on a boiler was a thing you can do because I've always lived in electric only houses.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Grax 5 Nov 2013 11:00:43 2,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    We don't have time dammit the ice berg is right in front of us
  • Moot_Point 5 Nov 2013 11:02:13 4,106 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    No no no, that's wrong!
    You tune the boiler to the maximum heat you want to reach and then fine-tune with the radiators!
    Own up! Which gas company do you work for? :D

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Grax 5 Nov 2013 11:02:23 2,269 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I go for the don't turn on the radiators at all bit (though my missus disagrees and thinks I'm being tight)
  • DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 11:05:28 22,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Is the house travelling near the speed of light?
    If it was, wouldn't it essentially cause the house to fuse with the air molecules as it moved, with every molecular collision releasing more energy? If it works the way I think it does, that energy release would be quite toasty, so you could probably switch the boiler off all together and save money for the several fractions of a second you aren't caught in a wave of expanding fusion energy that'd probably disintegrate your house.

I'm sure I read something similar about something moving near the speed of light. Edit: Here it is! Was easier to find than I thought it'd be. Good news is even the neighbours of this near lightspeed house could get away with turning their heating off. They'll appreciate that.

Edited by DFawkes at 11:07:30 05-11-2013

• AcidSnake 5 Nov 2013 11:09:27 7,276 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Moot_Point wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    No no no, that's wrong!
    Own up! Which gas company do you work for? :D
    Damnit man, my method saves gas! Won't anyone think of the damn iceberg?!

• DFawkes 5 Nov 2013 11:12:58 22,978 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aha, but if you're saving gas, you're probably holding back global warming. Without people like you, we'd have chowed through so much gas that global warming would've melted the iceberg. So use up that gas, create more demand, and save the Titanic.

• AcidSnake 5 Nov 2013 11:17:30 7,276 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DFawkes:
    No!
    By melting the ice caps the sealevel rises and the journey would have taken the Titanic longer and everyone would have starved to death before reaching their destination!

• Nexus_6 5 Nov 2013 11:19:45 3,878 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do the rads have thermostatic valves on them? If so - set your boiler temp to roughly where you want it (erring on side of higher temp) then set each rad to the level you need.

Rads will regulate the temperature, and your boiler should respond to that also.

/got new boiler installed last week \o/
  • Page

of 56 First / Last