Nike+ - New EG challenges Page 204

• Page

of 206 First / Last

• ReGuRgIt8oR 23 Mar 2014 13:40:09 2,596 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mrpon sets them up so if you get on his friends list he will invite you in to the next one. You need to accept the invite before the challenge begins so be alert.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 23 Mar 2014 13:41:24 2,596 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well done to Findus on his first Half Marathon ! I'll let him fill in the details.
  • Findus 23 Mar 2014 15:23:57 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My lower half is slowly seizing up I'm exhausted but I'm ecstatic.

Completed in 1:56:10. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be the first five miles where fine and comfortable and despite the number of inclines I never knew about was good. It was also my first time in Sefton park and I thought the stories about how it's utilised in the run was over rated until I realised just how much and how vast the place was but since it was all new it didn't bother me and the sharp shower was welcome.

Then my calf twinge issue from last week I thought I was over came back but I could run through it but was always thinking it would get worse

Then I got to 9 miles and form just went whether it was lack of carbs or what not I simply ran out of energy but I didn't stop and I even at one point wanted to hurl but kept going and the liver building slowly appeared and the crowds grew and I actually got quite emotional as I approached and crossed the line elated

But it's done I'm tired and have decided I'm going to have a fortnight off but I have my medal and tshirt (reg I think there was an issue with the shirts as per the tunnel 10k last year as the stragglers seemed to not be able to get one as there was none left. So I'm sure Alan will be going ballistic again)

I'm currently on the train and I cannot wait to have a shower and cabbage for the evening
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 23 Mar 2014 17:31:31 2,596 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We'll done mate. I managed 1:44 so not too shabby.

Glad you enjoyed it . Is "cabbage" a typo/auto correct error ? As cabbage is no way to celebrate !

Sefton Park is a popular place to run but I loathe it as when we did the marathon in there it was about twice (if not more) the distance in there.

Enjoy your err cabbage.

Edit - my wife tells me cabbage means to take it easy / chill

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 17:32:49 23-03-2014
  • AccidentProne 23 Mar 2014 18:40:23 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well done Findus.

Haha, I was thinking cabbage was a bit of a strange post-race treat too.
  • mrpon 23 Mar 2014 18:48:26 28,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Silly question but how do I go about joining a challenge? Neither the website or the Android app seem to have any ability to search for or join existing challenges. Do I need to request an invite?
    I'll be setting up the April challenge tomorrow. You'll get an invite automatically, which you have to accept manually using the iOS or Android app.

Congrats Findus!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• SaucyGeoff 24 Mar 2014 09:20:18 2,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    Enjoy your err cabbage.

Edit - my wife tells me cabbage means to take it easy / chill
    Thread gold! :)

Good running chaps.

I've just entered my first international event, Budapest half in September. Should make for a nice long weekend.
  • mrpon 24 Mar 2014 09:42:36 28,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

• smoothpete 24 Mar 2014 09:45:58 31,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No way I can achieve that. I might have to bow out at this stage rather than set myself up for something outside of my current ability
  • mrpon 24 Mar 2014 10:08:07 28,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll be on holiday so me neither probably! Trying to find the time to complete this months. Above you, hopefully ;)

• Findus 25 Mar 2014 13:48:54 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Findus 25 Mar 2014 13:48:54 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks guys.

I'm hanging my laces up for 2 weeks before getting back on for the Liverpool Rock and Roll half at the end of May.

I was so grateful I had a lift in my building yesterday morning.

Apologies for the Vegetable confusion :D

Edited by Findus at 13:51:16 25-03-2014
  • SaucyGeoff 25 Mar 2014 15:24:06 2,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You'll never last two weeks.
  • smoothpete 29 Mar 2014 11:06:23 31,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    March challenge completed. I need to do less running and more swimming next month as my legs are fucked and I think my lower back needs a rest. Good luck with the next challenge you crazy fools
  • mrpon 29 Mar 2014 19:27:28 28,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well done pete, you got me.

• Findus 31 Mar 2014 16:20:20 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @SaucyGeoff damn it you where right.

Back out tonight.
  • Vortex808 2 Apr 2014 15:36:30 6,940 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Arse. My nike fuel band has broken. It has *one* moving part on it, a button for checking your activty and syncing it and this has broken. A quick google has revealed that to be quite a common occurence.

Thankfully, it looks like Nike are happy to replace it, and for one of the newer SE ones too. Hopefully they have sorted the issue out with the newer edition.
  • mrpon 27 Apr 2014 12:37:02 28,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Calf popped on the last 1k of my run this morning. First time I've ever heard the pop.

Ow!

• Findus 28 Apr 2014 15:11:14 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ouch and ew. Hope you recover quickly.

Well I'm back in training for my second half of the year the Rock and Roll Half in Liverpool I'm not as intense in training as last time and running 5 nights a week (3 and long run on the weekend) but back up to 11 miles in my long runs with 4 weeks to go.

Got caught out by the weather Sunday where it was spitting and a looked like it was going to chuck it down so I wore my waterproof jacket two miles in out came the sunshine and blue skies and started sweating like a pig, and out went the splits and for the first time I was thinking you might have to stop here but battled through it in 1:39:46. Learned my lesson winter is over.

has anyone noticed just how sluggish the app has become again after the latest update?

Edited by Findus at 15:11:55 28-04-2014
  • SaucyGeoff 30 Apr 2014 09:26:13 2,559 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    First outing in my club vest last night as part of a local 10k league. Chuffed to sneak a sub 40 on reasonably tough course. Some flatter ones to come so hoping for a shiny new pb before the summer is out.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 13 May 2014 21:35:31 2,596 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just for those who haven't visited the Team Eurogamer Thunder Run thread,

Our online donations page is up just in case any of you feel generous !
    We are working on EG running it on the front page so hopefully that will give us a nice boost.

http://www.justgiving.com/Team-Eurogamer

Twitter @TeamEurogamer
  • Findus 25 May 2014 17:10:45 142 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well completed my second half. The rock n roll half marathon and it was a fantastic course and considering I didn't train as hardcore as my first and to be a second out is the only downside.

Nike said the distance was 13.24 and other people have said it was long others short. But it was great and Reg, the stupid prom got me and others again what happens there? it's like a secret force field just zaps energy out of you down that back straight, my sisters mate said someone collapsed at 12 miles and there's a rumour that he died.

It was brilliantly done although some of the bands didn't have much enthusiasm but I guess playing at 9am didn't help. I'm seriously thinking of doing the Dublin rock and roll for the world tour medal in August.

Next up tunnel 10k in a fortnight.
  • mrpon 25 May 2014 19:20:13 28,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good effort Findus!

May has been a write off for me with my leg, finally went out for a 10k this morning and touch wood it seems okay. That's almost an entire month out to the day for a muscle pop, old git.

New June challenge has been created, so sign up as usual. Also there has been another Nike+ app update in case anyone missed it, apparently you can force add a run now. I'll now be monitoring for fraud actions, of course ;)

PS: I'm waiting for password reminder before I sponsor the Thunderguys

• ReGuRgIt8oR 28 May 2014 20:37:14 2,596 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mrpon your password is "loadsamoney"

I'm eyeing up trying to hit 300k for this month - I think that'll be my longest in any one month. Only thing is my planned runs on Thursday and Saturday won't quite do it , I'll be 10k short.

Don't really want to run on Friday but......
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 31 May 2014 10:15:20 2,596 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Made it to 300km. June won't be so high.

/knackered/
  • mrpon 31 May 2014 12:47:08 28,427 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Congrats gurg, you must be fucked! Was thinking about a 10k a day challenge!

• TheBlackDog 11 Jun 2014 13:16:14 365 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Looking for a bit of advice about what I might reasonably be able to achieve in the next 3 months. I am entering my first race 7th September and don't know whether to choose 34km or 60km. Of course, I want to do the 60km, which comes with 2 qualifying points for the Ultra Mont Blanc (won't need them but badge of honour and all that :-P)

Trails du Sancy

I have been trail running for about 6 months, increasing distance from 5km, to short quicker runs of 10km, and a weekly longer, slower run of about 25km. On average, at the moment, I'm doing about 50km per week but can easily increase that starting now, training for the race.

At the beginning, my legs would give out at 25km. However, since starting to make the transition to front foot striking, by using my calves more and working on the rest of my form, I'm finding 25km not a problem and the other day I did 36km (although the last 5 kms were a tad difficult).

So, my how long is a bit of string question is, is the 60km feasible with the right training plan in 3 months ? Further info, I started running after mountain biking and cross country skiing a fair bit, so strength and fitness is OK, plus I've been doing karate weekly for 4 years which is a tough work out for all of the little muscles and which I think has really helped me with my running form on the trails. The race is in the mountains, but all my training here is very hilly and up and down gorges/in the mountains.

Thanks for taking the time if you've read all this. I don't frequent any running forums so I thought I'd ask on a video games website :confused: But I do follow the Adidas Thunder Run and this thread. Thought I'd ask here or in the weight lifting thread, err, the exercise and advice thread.

On a related note, anyone interested in a dedicated trail running thread - for questions, tips, observations on form, kit, race reports, photos etc ?
  • AccidentProne 11 Jun 2014 19:26:44 1,152 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, I've only recently started trail running in preparation for the Thunder Run and so far, I've not run an ultra, but I'd be tempted to go for the 60km if I were you. Getting up to 36km and having three months training sounds doable.

As a marathoner considering upping my game to an ultra next year, I think I'd plan on three to four months dedicated training, much the same as a marathon plan.

Gurgy is probably your best bet for advice in here though, as he moved up from marathons to an ultra this past year.
  • ReGuRgIt8oR 11 Jun 2014 20:12:07 2,596 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Never ever thought is read a sentence such as AP's last one :)

I am no expert but to me it sounds like you could do the 34k right now so if you carry on your training with a structured increase to around a 50k run over the next few months then id be tempted to try the 60k.

I went from marathon to a 60k this year and although it was tough I'm very glad I did it. If you go for the 60k then I wouldn't stress over time etc, just aim to complete it. You can worry about time / pace in your second one.

Edited by ReGuRgIt8oR at 20:12:53 11-06-2014
  • TheBlackDog 12 Jun 2014 14:59:03 365 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Cheers for the encouragement. I just wanted someone to say go for the 60 !

I need to get a proper training plan in place then, so I know precisely what I'm doing each week. I train fairly often anyway as I love running but for a 60k it looks like I need to do 2 long runs back to back over the weekend with a rest day on Monday.

Last question, when you are out for 3+ hours, what do you drink/eat for energy/electrolytes/salt, etc, that is natural? I'm a bit adverse to buying and carrying gels, energy drinks, pre-packaged, products, etc, and would like to make my own thing. For the 36km run recently I just took water and a peanut butter and jam sandwich (which was delicious but the last third felt a bit heavy).
  • Page

of 206 First / Last