Superman: The Man of Steel Page 58

• Page

of 64 First / Last

• Kay 24 Jun 2013 16:56:49 17,894 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    B0rked_Gamer wrote:
    Oh and I must mention how utterly brilliant Terence Stamp is as General Zod. I think we can all agree Michael Shannon is a terrific actor but in my opinion he lacked charisma and dare I say it screen presence and looked a bit out of his depth for some reason.
    Every time he was on screen, all I could see was a super-angry Sheldon Cooper.

Not that he wasn't good, mind.
  • BinaryBob101 24 Jun 2013 16:57:49 22,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    What did Snyder do wrong here? Genuine question.

The Grumpy Vaper

• nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 17:04:22 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think fassbender is a good shout. I dont think it will be him, but thats how they are going to be pitching it. Ultra cool, ultra successful playboy type who just happens to be gunning for superman.

They will pitch him as the yin to supermans yang and, as such, have them almost as contemporaries.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 17:04:47 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    What did Snyder do wrong here? Genuine question.
    Follow a script written by David Goyer.

• kalel 24 Jun 2013 17:10:02 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Again, I don't think Snyder did much wrong.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 17:15:25 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I had one complaint about Snyder's approach I'd say he made Krypton a but Naboo like.

But then again perhaps that was the producer, i.e. Nolan.
  • B0rked_Gamer 24 Jun 2013 17:27:13 2,712 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The screenplay wasn't particularly great but I don't recall any howlers that had me watching through my fingers. The real problems are a visually messy opening, unengaging performances, except for Kev the seasoned pro that he is God bless him, and a 40 minute action sequence that fries the brain.

I think a truly talented director and actors can create decent work from mediocrity. Structurally the narrative reminded me of a typical Nolan film, or at least the first two acts but what would any director do with the final 35-40 minutes of 'story'. It's a good point.
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 17:32:09 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think, in a lot of ways, its quite like Prometheus. A good director let down by the script, but prometheus gets away with it a bit more thanks to scotts skill.

• vijay_UK 24 Jun 2013 17:34:14 2,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Trouble is Clancy Brown is kind of similar to Shannon.

I like Brian Cranston for it.
    Watch him try to do ronny cox in the total recall remake and you'd think no.
  • nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 17:35:26 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Watch him try to do ronny cox in the total recall remake
    Was that a deleted scene?

• vijay_UK 24 Jun 2013 17:37:14 2,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Watch him try to do ronny cox in the total recall remake
    Was that a deleted scene?
    Nice :-P
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 17:49:48 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's something in the accusation that Snyder can't get his actors to be engaging. I don't think it's completely fair, as I think it's a stylistic thing rather than an actual failing, but yeah. He doesn't quite make the connection with the audience that you want. I think it's partly the actor's fault as well, but Snyder does take some blame.
  • B0rked_Gamer 24 Jun 2013 18:11:54 2,712 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There's something in the accusation that Snyder can't get his actors to be engaging. I don't think it's completely fair, as I think it's a stylistic thing rather than an actual failing, but yeah. He doesn't quite make the connection with the audience that you want. I think it's partly the actor's fault as well, but Snyder does take some blame.
    Some actors need to be directed more than others. For example Rod Steiger and Oliver Reed needed to kept under control whereas others like Morgan Freeman seem to work best when left alone. Gene Hackman is another who didn't stay in character and could be himself and then instantly jump into character when required. I think a more competent director than Snyder could get a performance from an actor.
  • kentmonkey 24 Jun 2013 18:34:56 20,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Literally just got home from watching it. Very disappointed.

Not to say it was terrible, as it wasn't, and I don't agree with any of the 2/10 or 0/10 reviews of it out there - I genuinely think most of that is for sensationalism and attention seeking only. However I was still thoroughly disappointed.

- Zod was good, his sidekicks were otherwise completely pointless. I didn't get any fear, hatred or any type of emotion towards his female sidekick because, well, frankly other than being a female Nightcrawler, and either a terrible actress or badly cast/directed, there was nothing to take notice of.

- The directing/editing was all over the place. Seemingly huge chunks were cut, or just not bothered filming; there was little-to-no character development, and why the fuck was a reporter aloud to get into a helicopter at the end when it would have meant, in all likelihood, her dying in it, along with a helicopter full of people, when all they needed and would have happened in the "real world" would be for her to debrief a soldier and a pilot, co-pilot and soldier would go up and do it.

- Boom skyscraper falls down. Bash skyscraper falls down. Whallop skyscraper gets a hole in each side. Crash skyscraper explodes. Oh just fuck off with this CGI bullshit. And the neck snapping, well that really finished it off for me.

There was lots more I didn't like. I didn't mind either Amy Adams or the guy that plays Supes (his name escapes me) - I thought they did well enough considering how badly the film appeared to be directed and written. And it was just about good enough to hold my interest, but I wouldn't watch a sequel if it was like this. If this is the direction Superman is going to go in, I'm out until the next reboot.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 18:45:56 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, some of that stuff with Lois made no sense whatsoever. I don't mind a bit of comicbook logic in a comicbook film, but her getting the responsibly of turning on the Phantom Zone ship thing was completely implausible.

Overall though I quite liked Amy Adams. She was far better than Kate Bosworth.
  • Trowel 24 Jun 2013 18:54:16 17,783 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Jesus bit was handled with the subtlety of a geocities site... yet I quite admired its "check this out... you know what's about to happen... dare me to do it?... Hah, fuck yeah!" bluntness.
  • kentmonkey 24 Jun 2013 18:56:49 20,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed. Like you I don't mind some comic book logic, it helps make the film in my opinion (well, this type of film), but that was just stupid.

I preferred the last Superman as a Superman film. That was far from perfect, and I'd probably only give them both a 5/10, but it felt more Superman than this.

I do wish he'd responded to her question of 'what does the S stand for' with 'Smashing skyscrapers up'. It would have at least set the scene for the last 30 minutes.
  • BinaryBob101 24 Jun 2013 18:58:06 22,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mrak Strong rumoured to be Snyder's choice for Luthor in the sequel.

Fassbender would be better, but probably significantly more expensive.

The Grumpy Vaper

• kalel 24 Jun 2013 18:59:15 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    OMG the Jesus bit. I did quite a loud indignant HAH at that point.
  • kentmonkey 24 Jun 2013 18:59:33 20,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I missed this. What Jesus bit?
  • BinaryBob101 24 Jun 2013 19:00:01 22,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    HA!

HAAAAAAAA!

The Grumpy Vaper

• BinaryBob101 24 Jun 2013 19:00:48 22,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I liked the Jesus bit, if you're gonna compare him to somebody it may as well be the first fictional superhero.

The Grumpy Vaper

• kalel 24 Jun 2013 19:00:52 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mark Strong is a somewhat obvious choice. He's a bit too obviously evil for me. I'd prefer to see someone who is slightly more convincing as a goodie (whilst actually being a baddie).

I'd love to see John Hamm have a go.
  • kalel 24 Jun 2013 19:01:51 87,700 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    The bit where Jor-El said - You can save them, you can save ALL of them - and then he jumped in the air and made a Christ pose for a bit.

Seriously.
  • kentmonkey 24 Jun 2013 19:08:07 20,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    The bit where Jor-El said - You can save them, you can save ALL of them - and then he jumped in the air and made a Christ pose for a bit.

Seriously.
    Fucking. Hell.

I really don't recall that at all. I remember the scene, but I don't remember seeing that. I did drift off at times though - not asleep, just mentally.

But yeah, I think I may have laughed as well.
  • BinaryBob101 24 Jun 2013 19:14:12 22,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just for you guys:

The Grumpy Vaper

• nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 19:39:15 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The bit where Jor-El said - You can save them, you can save ALL of them
    From the hellfire im going to reign down on them by sending you to earth. Sorry about that earth, but he can be a beacon of hope. From the trouble I caused. Again. Sorry.

• nickthegun 24 Jun 2013 19:44:28 59,945 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Theres also another jesus shot in the oil rig scene.

And another in the church against the stained glass window.

This is not a film light on symbolism...

• BinaryBob101 24 Jun 2013 19:48:08 22,976 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Neither was Superman Returns to be fair.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 19:54:07 24-06-2013

The Grumpy Vaper

• razijaan 24 Jun 2013 21:01:14 2 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 64 First / Last