The 1000G's of joy (again) Page 4

• Page

of 39 First / Last

• Mekanik 3 Jan 2010 12:03:44 3,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dont tend to stick out a retail game all the way to get the 1000/1000 but i do like to try the arcade games. Geo wars 2 was probably the most fun, although geo wars 1 and the survive 1,000,000 is still doing my nut in..........

heavy weapon is currently in my sights :)
  • Syrette 3 Jan 2010 12:06:31 43,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There are plenty of decent achievements there and most of them do reward skill, perseverance, thinking outside the box and not time.

A lot of them also encourage you to do certain things such as side-quests and collecting things.

I could not disagree more with Secombe and Silentbob, who with all due respect don't appear to have the most informed opinion on the matter.

• yupyup 3 Jan 2010 12:07:45 3,680 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I play games for fun, am not OCD and have some semblance of a life.

Ecosse never recovered fully after realising he'd never be able to catch Mew.

Hands Off Our Penises

• Syrette 3 Jan 2010 12:09:18 43,292 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That said, I do care about achievements but I'm not overly fussed by them, I'll rarely go out of my way just for the sake of an achievement but I try to get them where possible. They're a nice little bonus to me, that's all.

• silentbob 3 Jan 2010 12:14:08 28,956 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    silentbob wrote:As I say, there's a hardcore niche of 'sadder than most' gamers who believe they add value when for the vast majority of cases it just adds time. .

What about the people who are 'stupider than most' and blatantly refuse to accept that Gamer scores can be fun and add extra challenge and incentive to games ?
    Nerve. Struck.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• Deleted user 3 January 2010 12:15:04
    Don't worry about Bob. He only seems to play one game for 20 minutes every three months or so.
  • silentbob 3 Jan 2010 12:20:14 28,956 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    AHiFi wrote:
    Both arguements are right really. They can be stupid, they can be great.

For example, L4D's achievements were brilliant; L4D2's achievements aren't too bad either. On the crappy achievements side, you've got something like *stares at recently purchased cheap-ass pre-owned games* Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. Getting those achievments involves going through the game with every character when there's not really much to be gained from doing that (perspective, of course) as there's no story. Actually, there's not much to be gained from the first playthrough.

...in all fairness, it was a pound.

Indeed, there are a lot of shite achievements out there but there are also some good ones that egg you on to completing the game or tackling it from a different angle, to write them all off as shit is idiocy.
    As you saw, I didn't write them all off. But equally, not realising that achievements in gaming don't actually have to be accompanied by a pat on the bum and a gold star from the teacher to be rewarding. Games have done this since forever. If you took away the cock measuring aspect of GPs (i.e. the online aspect) they'd be mostly worthless.

Intrinsically rewarding gaming milestones. That's what GPs distract from.

• silentbob 3 Jan 2010 12:22:32 28,956 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    frod_ wrote:
    Don't worry about Bob. He only seems to play one game for 20 minutes every three months or so.
    frod only keeps his GP scores up to stop him being labelled a Wii fanboy. ;)

• morriss 3 Jan 2010 12:24:22 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I reckon all other accounts should be deleted. :)
  • Pastici 3 Jan 2010 12:24:54 450 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Taking away the online aspect does nothing. We have no XBox Live on campus yet me and my mates all egg each other on on the gamerscore front.
  • AHiFi 3 Jan 2010 12:25:17 1,665 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    AHiFi wrote:
    Both arguements are right really. They can be stupid, they can be great.

For example, L4D's achievements were brilliant; L4D2's achievements aren't too bad either. On the crappy achievements side, you've got something like *stares at recently purchased cheap-ass pre-owned games* Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. Getting those achievments involves going through the game with every character when there's not really much to be gained from doing that (perspective, of course) as there's no story. Actually, there's not much to be gained from the first playthrough.

...in all fairness, it was a pound.

Indeed, there are a lot of shite achievements out there but there are also some good ones that egg you on to completing the game or tackling it from a different angle, to write them all off as shit is idiocy.
    As you saw, I didn't write them all off. But equally, not realising that achievements in gaming don't actually have to be accompanied by a pat on the bum and a gold star from the teacher to be rewarding. Games have done this since forever. If you took away the cock measuring aspect of GPs (i.e. the online aspect) they'd be mostly worthless.

And that's very true too. To those who love their achievements, can you honestly say that you'd traverse Liberty City in GTA IV to find flying rats if you didn't have that "cock measuring aspect"? If you think so, did you attempt to find the hidden packages in GTA III's Liberty City?

EDIT: And I'm well aware of Crackdown's orbs before anyone says anything, but that's very different as it's making use of the core mechanic.
  • triarii 3 Jan 2010 12:29:00 297 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    What I want to know is if anyone from EG has 1000/1000 on GRAW1? That game has some ridiculous achievements.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2010 12:31:13
    silentbob wrote:
    frod_ wrote:
    frod only keeps his GP scores up to stop him being labelled a Wii fanboy. ;)

I think you can only use something like that as an insult if you actually play videogames.
  • INSOMANiAC 3 Jan 2010 12:32:13 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ill bet NOONE has them all on Riddick. Online achievements should be banned !

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• silentbob 3 Jan 2010 12:33:17 28,956 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Since when was the Wii played by gamers?

Happy new year frod! \o/

• Deleted user 3 January 2010 12:34:06
    silentbob wrote:
    Since when was the Wii played by gamers?

Happy new year frod! \o/

how on earth would you know? You seem to play games less often than a casual gamer.
  • consignia 3 Jan 2010 12:36:06 1,433 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I only have a full set of GP in 1 game (I do have more than 1000 in Fallout 3, but not a perfect), and I'm a little embarrassed to say what that one is.

I get quite a few high scoring games, but I'm usually scuppered by large numbers of small reptitive tasks, such item hunting. Also, I don't like replaying a game so quickly, so having to go through it again is usually a blocker as well.
  • INSOMANiAC 3 Jan 2010 12:36:49 3,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think 'bob' believes you need 20,000 + troll posts on a game forum to be a 'real' gamer.

Steam - iN5OMANiAC
    PSN - iN5OMANiCAL

• Deleted user 3 January 2010 12:38:21
    bob ranks games with a formula (review score * screen resolution * framerate).
  • yupyup 3 Jan 2010 12:38:23 3,680 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can we add together all of frods different accounts so?

Hands Off Our Penises

• Deleted user 3 January 2010 12:39:14
    I once had 15 accounts :p

now I have two.
  • silentbob 3 Jan 2010 12:39:59 28,956 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yupyup wrote:
    \o/

• morriss 3 Jan 2010 12:40:24 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why not, you know, just use one?
  • Deleted user 3 January 2010 12:41:06
    silentbob wrote:
    yupyup wrote:
    \o/

hooray, someone has changed the subject!
  • Deleted user 3 January 2010 12:41:39
    morriss wrote:
    Why not, you know, just use one?

because it annoys you.
  • morriss 3 Jan 2010 12:45:54 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's probably the best reason, actually.
  • Deleted user 3 January 2010 13:14:38
    INSOMANiAC wrote:
    Ahhh that lovely feeling of getting 1000G, whoever came up with the achievements idea deserves a pat on the back !

Just finally done Arkham Asylums 1000g, some of those combat achievements were tough, almost gave me as much joy as the Oblivion achievements, they were easy but very time consuming.

What is your most satisfactory 'G' ?

Always fancied getting the 5G in Orange Box for carrying the gnome from one end of the game to the other, but really cant be bothered.

I've never got 1000 points in any game, ever. Most of them include stupid multiplayer achievements I'll never get, but those that don't almost always have a 'Collect all 1000 of the hidden things' achievement, and life's too short to bother with those. Even Assassin's Creed I'll never get 1000 in, because of those feathers.

Ah well.
  • Whizzo 3 Jan 2010 13:25:23 43,088 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The only full title I've got 1000G in is King Kong, which everyone who has finished it has got!

BF1943 and Dash of Destruction are the only XBLA titles I've dinged 200 in.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Page

of 39 First / Last