Android App and Game Review Thread Page 65

• Page

of 90 First / Last

• Mr-Brett 21 Feb 2013 23:40:16 12,723 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @the_dudefather I'll happily give it a go, I still owe you for testing one of mine a couple of years back anyway :)

Edit: you said to pm... ok incoming.

Edited by Mr-Brett at 23:44:47 21-02-2013

Portable view - Never forget.

• Deleted user 22 February 2013 07:00:32
    For anyone who likes different and challenging tower defense games then I recommend this one that I downloaded yesterday and has left me void from sleep. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.etorkigames.crazydefense3d&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5ldG9ya2lnYW1lcy5jcmF6eWRlZmVuc2UzZCJd
    Crazy Defense 3d. I can't find a start where I don't initially lose 10 lives yet, but have managed 500k. It's 750k to get in the world top 30 at the moment. Great puzzler/TD game!
  • Tonka 22 Feb 2013 07:02:10 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's borked on my nexus 4 running 4.2.2 i guess is the resolution that's causing the problem.
    See attachment
    http://www.imgur.com/GPtAr7X.png

I did play it for a tiny bit and it was nice and fluid. But with those black bars it was too much of a challenge for me.

I really like the look and feel of it.

Edited by Tonka at 07:08:31 22-02-2013

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• the_dudefather 22 Feb 2013 08:03:24 9,196 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers Mr Brett and Monkehhh, sent you a PM

looks like I set up the borders incorrectly, I'll see if I can get that fixed tonight

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Tonka 22 Feb 2013 09:23:18 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lovely looks and silky smooth though.

• monkehhh 22 Feb 2013 15:54:26 3,267 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Similar thing on my Note 2, though in slightly different positions. Looks promising though :)
  • crashVoodoo 23 Feb 2013 09:51:52 3,853 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    the_dudefather wrote:
    * initialise shameless self promotion*

Recently I have been making an Android game called Farmvasion 2132

It's a sort-of Jetpac-ish shooter, but about harvesting space-wheat, with different characters and maps to unlock

I was wondering if anyone would like to give it a go and give some feedback, if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll get you a copy

Or you can check out some gameplay footage and tell me it's terrible more quickly:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXvznbfCvuw&hd=1
    I'll test it a bit for you if you like.

Have a Nexus 4, 7 and access to a nexus S, galaxy s3 and s2

Hang on, I'll log into the website and send you a pm

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• the_dudefather 23 Feb 2013 11:19:45 9,196 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks guys! And sorry for the black bars, fir those of you not in PM chat, the latest version should remove them :)

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Tonka 23 Feb 2013 12:34:20 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's working now. I like the game. The hotspots could be a bit bigger though. I keep missing them.

• DuaneW 24 Feb 2013 23:22:34 91 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So. After having an iphone for a number of years, I have preordered a Sony xperia Z. What android apps would everyone recommend? Ones exclusive to android would be ideal as am familiar to ones available on iOS. Thanks!!
  • Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 00:37:42 6,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DuaneW wrote:
    So. After having an iphone for a number of years, I have preordered a Sony xperia Z. What android apps would everyone recommend? Ones exclusive to android would be ideal as am familiar to ones available on iOS. Thanks!!
    Try here: http://www.eurogamer.net/forum/thread/170279?start=0
  • TheRealBadabing 25 Feb 2013 00:56:12 1,283 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah that's really helpful. Welcome to the world of Android and why not trawl through 65 pages of a 3 year old thread?

My suggestions to get you started would be ES File Manager, MX Player and HD Widgets. The Play Store is pretty easy to use so it shouldn't be a problem finding most of the things you want.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 01:07:19 6,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sorry. But there are a bunch of good recommendations in here, and even some things that are 3 years old are still good!

If you like games, I've looked at Pocket Gamer UK for android reviews. But there's just so much stuff that "recommend something on android" would be better answered if we knew exactly what sort of things you like!
  • Tonka 25 Feb 2013 06:58:55 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DuaneW

SwiftKey - is a must. It will blow your socks off
    AirDroid - to move stuff between your phone and any computer
    Press - if you have a bunch of RSS feeds in your Google reader
    DashClock widget - for great lockscreen updates
    ES Filebrowser - or some other file browser
    Changelog Droid - Collects all the changelogs for your apps in one place
    Eniro - if you live in Sweden this will show you who is calling you (quick way to get rid of phonesalesmen)
    Battery Widget Reborn PRO - will give you a tonne of stats plus a night mode setting
    PowerToggles - adds a bunch of easy setting toggles that aren't in the standard set
    Lookout - like Find My iPhone but it will also snap an image of anyone unsuccessfully trying to unlock your phone and emails it to you
    Imgur - There are a few of them. Quick and easy sharing of images.

But really, SwiftKey is where it's at. You need SwiftKey aven though you might think you don't. You neeed it.

Oh, and uTorrent.
    And DICE player - better than any media player on iOS. (Trust me I've tried a fair few of them)

Appendix 1:
    What you need to get into is how to use the "Share..." menu. On an iDevice you can only share to Twitter and Facebook "system wise" iirc. On Android you can share to any app that accepts what it is you are currently looking at.

So if you read something on the web and want to save it to Pocket you DO NOT
    Fiddle with the URL to select it
    Copy it
    Exit your browser
    Open Pocket
    Press that "Would you like to add this URL to Pocket" button

Instead you:
    Open the menu
    Press Share
    Select the App you'd like to share to (Pocket in this case)

This works with the Imgur App I listed above. So I can screengrab something, then from the Notification bar I select share and Imgur, then in the notification bar I'll be able to copy the URL to that image and then post it on here.

It's a very different mindset where the system takes care of a lot of things that Apps have to do on iDevices. Flipboard is laughably burdened with iOS workarounds for sharing and favoriting.

Edited by Tonka at 07:20:21 25-02-2013

Edited by Tonka at 07:32:13 25-02-2013

• DuaneW 25 Feb 2013 07:39:03 91 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks guys!
  • Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 07:39:46 6,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Speaking of Pocket, recently I've had to click through a "sign into facebook to share this on facebook!" message to show the options of non-facebook sharing. Which is a little irritating. Before it would just put up a list of everything.

Anyway, sorry to the guy for being snarky before. Most of the things I've downloaded have been games - mostly RPGs and strategy, and mixes between the two.

Most recent thing was Headset Button Control, which allows me to use iOS devices and use the buttons (well, one of them) with Android. It's much more responsive than the Klipsch one.
  • Tonka 25 Feb 2013 07:57:43 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Mola_Ram
    really? In Pocket? What shit!

I know Flipboard have their "own" share where you have to sign in plus bog standard share.

• Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 08:00:14 6,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't know if it's Pocket's fault, or the fault of the mobile browser I'm using (Dolphin on the phone, Chrome on the tablet). But it's irritating. I'd rather remove the facebook option altogether - most of my FB friends would have zero interest at all in the shit I save to Pocket.
  • Tonka 25 Feb 2013 08:03:20 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm.. sounds a bit strange. I don't have that sign in thing.

Why are you using Dolphin by the way? What advantages does it have?

• Mola_Ram 25 Feb 2013 08:07:18 6,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It runs a lot faster on my phone for some reason. Less jerky. That's pretty much the only advantage it has over Chrome.

Oh, and it has a thing where you can save a link to Pocket or whatever, whereas with Chrome I actually have to open the page I want to save and share it by clicking on the URL. That's only a minor thing though. I'd gladly switch to Chrome if it ran faster.
  • mrpon 25 Feb 2013 08:38:34 28,437 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DuaneW wrote:
    Thanks guys!
    SNesoid - SNES emulator
    Marvin - ZX Speccy emulator
    TigerGBA - GBA emulator
    GBCoid - GBC emulator
    WiiController - pair your Wii Controller for aforementioned emulators
    iheartradio - cracking music radio app ala Pandora/last.fm etc..

You may have to "source" those apps and sideload them. I recommend getting a Dropbox account as you can sideload the apk files directly from there. All things you can't do on iOS.

Happy droiding.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• eleven63 25 Feb 2013 18:26:53 1,600 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @DuaneW

SwiftKey - is a must. It will blow your socks off
    AirDroid - to move stuff between your phone and any computer
    Press - if you have a bunch of RSS feeds in your Google reader
    DashClock widget - for great lockscreen updates
    ES Filebrowser - or some other file browser
    Changelog Droid - Collects all the changelogs for your apps in one place
    Eniro - if you live in Sweden this will show you who is calling you (quick way to get rid of phonesalesmen)
    Battery Widget Reborn PRO - will give you a tonne of stats plus a night mode setting
    PowerToggles - adds a bunch of easy setting toggles that aren't in the standard set
    Lookout - like Find My iPhone but it will also snap an image of anyone unsuccessfully trying to unlock your phone and emails it to you
    Imgur - There are a few of them. Quick and easy sharing of images.

But really, SwiftKey is where it's at. You need SwiftKey aven though you might think you don't. You neeed it.

Oh, and uTorrent.
    And DICE player - better than any media player on iOS. (Trust me I've tried a fair few of them)

Appendix 1:
    What you need to get into is how to use the "Share..." menu. On an iDevice you can only share to Twitter and Facebook "system wise" iirc. On Android you can share to any app that accepts what it is you are currently looking at.

So if you read something on the web and want to save it to Pocket you DO NOT
    Fiddle with the URL to select it
    Copy it
    Exit your browser
    Open Pocket
    Press that "Would you like to add this URL to Pocket" button

Instead you:
    Open the menu
    Press Share
    Select the App you'd like to share to (Pocket in this case)

This works with the Imgur App I listed above. So I can screengrab something, then from the Notification bar I select share and Imgur, then in the notification bar I'll be able to copy the URL to that image and then post it on here.

It's a very different mindset where the system takes care of a lot of things that Apps have to do on iDevices. Flipboard is laughably burdened with iOS workarounds for sharing and favoriting.
    This ref SwiftKey - I've just moved from swype, so use "flow" on SwiftKey, once you get used to the brilliant predictive text this keyboard is very fast!

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Tonka 25 Feb 2013 18:33:45 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, I switched from Googles ow swipe styled keyboard to SwiftKey after a lot of agonizing. I thought the standard keyboard was really good so I wasn't expecting much of a difference.

I was mostly after the multiple dictionary at the same time feature (which is brilliant btw) but the predictive text of SwiftKey is so much better it's frightening.

• Maturin 25 Feb 2013 18:35:01 2,889 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I prefer Thumb Keyboard Pro to SwiftKey, especially on my tablet. Many more layout options on both tablet and phone. It's 50 percent off today too.
  • Tonka 26 Feb 2013 11:04:26 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't type with my thumbs on a phone. I have some disorder that makes them shake at the exact position that is required for phone thumb typing.

Swipetyping is a godsend for me as it means that I finally can type using only one hand.

On tablets where the buttons are bigger I don't have that problem.

Not sure why I decided to share this with you...

• BeheretiK 28 Feb 2013 08:19:45 883 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Noticed this little nugget in the latest Chrome for Android update:

4. Audio now continues to play while Chrome is in the background

Very handy indeed. Now it means I can play music from sites like Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Reverbnation (although I hate that site) and it will continue playing in the background when I switch to Kindle/Games or even locking the screen. Very handy indeed! :-)

Not sure whether this works in the other Android browsers but I use Chrome exclusively so it is great for me. Hopefully useful to someone else here as well.

* For some reason it does not work with Youtube yet which is annoying. Will play around and see what is happening there.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Tonka 28 Feb 2013 08:26:28 20,011 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    YouTube is it's own app isn't it? Parallell universes.

• BeheretiK 28 Feb 2013 08:30:18 883 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, but you can play Youtube within the Chrome browser, you don't have to open it in the app. Just remove the default actions from the Youtube app (in System Settings Apps Youtube) and then when you play a link in your browser it will pop up with the option to play in Chrome or Youtube.

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Murbal 1 Mar 2013 08:48:43 21,922 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought I'd be open minded and give Real Racing 3 a try. After an hour it hadn't finished downloading so I took it as a sign and cancelled it.

My wife's just finished Pudding Monsters - cracking puzzler with a clever way of integrating the 3* mechanic into the solution. Might give it a go myself. HD version is paid for and ad-free, but there is a regular free and ad-supported version.

Robo5 recently launched; it's a puzzle game that plays not dissimilarly to how I'd imagine Catherine works (not having played it). Free to download, IAP for full version I believe.

Vector - running/free running game which plays like a cross between Canabalt and Mirrors Edge (iOS version). You're being chased, you have to get through as quickly as possible. S'alright. Free, but with IAP for an ad free version (cheap, but there are also other IAPs yuckily).

Most importantly though, I still can't get enough of Super Hexagon.
  • DuaneW 1 Mar 2013 16:33:45 91 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks guys for the recommendations, Swiftkey is in fact amazing so thanks @tonka !

Never going back to an iphone after using android for a few days! Still getting to grips with it but slowly learning!

Sony Xperia Z is an impressive phone, just need to get used to the size.

The vibrate default function is very weak, I can never tell when I get a message! I downloaded Handcent SMS which has custom vibrate options which has helped. Problem is that now, whenever I get a message it goes through that and the default SMS program, and even if I read the message on both it still comes up with a number 1 notifying me of an unread message. The only way to get rid of this is to delete the actual message.

Is there a better program to use? - Do I just need to delete the default message program?

Thanks in advance and apologies for length of post!

Edited by DuaneW at 16:40:39 01-03-2013
  • Page

of 90 First / Last