This is fucking fantastic. That is all.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Fourwisemen 1 Dec 2012 10:40:35 160 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Chances of my Insane Edition Pre-ordered from Amazon turning up this morning?.. Anyone got theirs???
  • krushing 1 Dec 2012 10:43:10 777 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I just watched a tiger drown itself in a river :(

Naturally I dived in and skinned the bastard afterwards, but anyway...
  • Mattuk123 1 Dec 2012 10:50:19 138 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Goodfella yeah I'm getting that too but thought it was just my shitty speakers
  • Vortex808 1 Dec 2012 10:51:44 7,086 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fourwisemen wrote:
    Chances of my Insane Edition Pre-ordered from Amazon turning up this morning?.. Anyone got theirs???
    Still no sign of mine from game yet.

Reading this thread makes me very sad & a smidge jealous. :(
  • PearOfAnguish 1 Dec 2012 11:05:44 7,219 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, yeah, my Game order which apparently shipped last week has still not shown up. Fucking useless.
  • Savatage 1 Dec 2012 11:08:13 38 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mattuk123 Can't remember seeing as such (I'm on 360 version). I'll have another look when I get back to it tomorrow.
  • Maturin 1 Dec 2012 11:14:26 2,961 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Having so much fun with this.

Messed around for a while. Did a few outposts and radio towers to give me some breathing space on the map.

Then tackled a couple of stories. Mushrooms in the Dark was bonkers. Some great character work in that too. And then the Medusa mission - which was nerve wracking.

Now I'm back to pootling around and trying things out. Might have a go at some side missions as I haven't done any kill, hunting, racing other challenges yet.

Playing it stealthy-ish. A surprise as I don't normally like stealth games. But loving creeping above outposts, hiding in the grass and picking off the pirates with my bown and arrow.

Finally got some PC settings I was happy with. Everything full except POST at medium (don't like the blur anyway) and shadows at medium (hardly notice the difference). Now getting 60fps in DX11 mode with HDAO and 2xMSAA.

Edited by Maturin at 11:15:51 01-12-2012
  • monkehhh 1 Dec 2012 11:25:39 3,298 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This game's brilliant.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 11:26:12
    Got as far as doing the medusa mission too which was great, generally trying to be stealthy but then going gun crazy as the last resort. Plying it on the hardest difficulty was a great idea - the enemies are an actual threat and are reasonably good at searching for you.

Only complaint really is that the throwing rocks mechanic is a touch too useful.

This is the first game this year that I can see myself playing to completion/boredom rather than getting distracted by something else.
  • aeschylus 1 Dec 2012 11:30:53 446 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just now starting to click with me, I almost stopped, but only because I had never played a Far Cry before so was not knowing what to expect, I think if they had made it clearer that crafting is not an optional idea but actually unless you do it you will be gimped...

My wallet was full, could not carry any more, only 3 health syringes, only 1 gun slot etc etc which may seem daft but to a new person to the series I did not realise the impotance on crafting....

Now I do, the game has opened up, and got my 3rd radio tower for the sniper rifle and bow, why pay when things are free hey!!
  • griff_dai 1 Dec 2012 11:32:05 419 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played some MP this morning (finally) and it's also brilliant......God Ubisoft have really nailed this game.....

Edited by griff_dai at 11:48:47 01-12-2012
  • SirDespard 1 Dec 2012 11:32:57 121 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Insane edition from Sainsburys (guess I got lucky) turned up this morning. Daughter (5) much taken by bobble head (which is actually quite well done). Not bad considering it was only 7 quid more than the standard price. Will put on later (when daughter isn't about). The canvas outer cover is also quite nice
  • Whizzo 1 Dec 2012 11:34:27 43,096 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    aeschylus wrote:My wallet was full, could not carry any more, only 3 health syringes, only 1 gun slot etc etc which may seem daft but to a new person to the series I did not realise the impotance on crafting....
    Crafting is new to Far Cry 3, it's not really a series of games either, more games with similar themes than anything else.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Lotos8ter 1 Dec 2012 11:40:09 2,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SirDespard wrote: Will put on later (when daughter isn't about
    Good idea, its proper sweary but the intro section is one of the best I've played and deserves being cranked up a bit

Fiat Lux

• krushing 1 Dec 2012 11:54:00 777 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    krushing wrote:
    I just watched a tiger drown itself in a river :(

Naturally I dived in and skinned the bastard afterwards, but anyway...
    This is actually a pretty easy (and silly) way to get skins - animals don't seem to understand water at all, and get instakilled by it. Easy enough to startle a herd towards it and the just go underwater skinnin'
  • ModishNouns 1 Dec 2012 12:04:01 4,655 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Awesome game is awesome.

I've noticed a few loot/relic icons on the map that don't appear to be there on the ground. Is it possible they're underground? Does the map show things like that or am I just blind?

Also managed to jump a few feet up a tree but fell off/through.

I think I'm supposed to go and see a doctor.
  • AaronTurner 1 Dec 2012 12:07:22 7,686 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you go to where the comodo dragons live they keep spawning infinitely in that village near the start. There are a couple of villagers permantly running around screaming. Why did they build a village there?

Also my chums keep running over each other, hilarious. One got out a car and hit his head off another stationary car and died, all the others panicked.

Edited by AaronTurner at 12:07:59 01-12-2012
  • neems 1 Dec 2012 12:10:39 1,218 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    A lot of the relics are hidden - I've only found a few so far, one was in some sort of underground temple that had me breaking through walls Indy-style, another was... well it was somewhere fantastic. Found it on the way to the Medusa if that helps :-)

Even with one or two minor foibles, this really is an astonishingly good game.
  • gooner77 1 Dec 2012 12:11:22 757 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bought this on impulse at hmv duty free at heathrow. looking forward too firing it up when I get back. is it better than Fc2 ?
  • spamdangled 1 Dec 2012 12:12:51 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    is the whole "everyman instantly becomes experienced professiinal killer" thing as absurdly abrupt as reviews suggest? is the overall story as engaging as was made out to be? i liked what i saw of the french bloke actor playing vaas in previews, but if the game loses him and deals with super mutants or Lost style mumbo jumbo sharpish then i cant see myself completing it
    1) Yes
    2) No

Basically you're a brah who likes EXTREME TOURISM.
    Next thing you know, you get a magical tattoo and some Liberian guy tells you to Be One With the Jungle. So you do that and now you're the Chosen Warrior of Tribe Ukululu or some shit.

The story is window dressing at best. For me anyway.
    Oh dear.

Ah well, at least it seems to be good in a "once you get past the issues" kind of way.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• ModishNouns 1 Dec 2012 12:18:59 4,655 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The story is very similar to the back story of Arrow, tbh, and just as contrived. It's very well presented, though, and easily forgiven.

Edit: it might have made more sense if you played the older, ex military brother actually. That would have been an easy fix.

Edited by ModishNouns at 12:27:05 01-12-2012
  • spamdangled 1 Dec 2012 12:28:12 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ModishNouns wrote:
    The story is very similar to the back story of Arrow, tbh, and just as contrived. It's very well presented, though, and easily forgiven.
    Arrow is shit though :(

Your second point is good to know, but after AC3 Im starting to get bored of being forced to look past glaring niggles and a shit story in ubi games.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• andywilkie35 1 Dec 2012 12:29:33 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hopefully will get around to playing this today if I can ever download the patch.

7th attempt now...

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• heavy_salad 1 Dec 2012 12:33:36 721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah the story on this is pretty much bobbins, but I think it's pretty well put together and most of the voice acting is pretty decent.

Plus I don't know how else they could have done the 'scared kid turns into fearless killing machine' without making the start pretty boring
  • spamdangled 1 Dec 2012 12:36:51 27,276 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    heavy_salad wrote:
    Yeah the story on this is pretty much bobbins, but I think it's pretty well put together and most of the voice acting is pretty decent.

Plus I don't know how else they could have done the 'scared kid turns into fearless killing machine' without making the start pretty boring
    I dunno. Tomb Raider is trying to do the same thing really, and despite the gaffs along the way they do seem to at least to be making a much more considered stab at it.

• ModishNouns 1 Dec 2012 12:37:10 4,655 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    heavy_salad wrote:

Well, by not doing "scared kid" and doing Afghanistan vet big brother instead.

Edit

Churlish to pick on this, though, in a game that gets so many things right that so many others get wrong.

Edited by ModishNouns at 12:39:58 01-12-2012
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Dec 2012 12:40:49 14,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chaps just a head up for future pre orders. I used Argos (free delivery) they guarantee day of release, and good as their word I got it yesterday. 37 for standard edition, no extras though. Doubt I will get to it tonight mind you, hopefully tomorrow.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Jazzassin 1 Dec 2012 12:49:33 75 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can someone on the Ps3 tell me how this looks and runs compared to some recent games? Better than X, worse than Y sort of thing? Noticed it getting compared to Crysis 2 but I never tried that...

Suppose / hope they'll do a DF comparison on it soon though.

Also, any idea if the two extra missions will be released as a DLC or were they strictly a limited preorder thing?

Edited by Jazzassin at 12:51:15 01-12-2012
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Dec 2012 12:53:14 14,608 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Jazzassin
    ...there is one, front page.

"Xbox 360 wins out over PS3 in terms of raw frame-rates but the gap isn't massive and both versions suffer from intense screen-tear and noticeable judder

:)

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Page

of 79 First / Last