Official 2012 UEFA European Football Championship - Poland / Ukraine Thread Page 3

• Page

of 248 First / Last

• askew 6 Jul 2010 16:31:26 12,182 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wales will do alright.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Jul 2010 16:32:12 39,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't know how are people are saying that isn't an easy group - it clearly is.

That doesn't mean we'll easily qualify (see this year's easy WC group for more details) but you can't ask for much more than a group like that.

Hi

Did you not get the memo? England are shit.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• THFourteen 6 Jul 2010 16:35:41 33,233 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i think kal meant "we" as in bulgaria
  • kalel 6 Jul 2010 16:38:18 87,120 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We got further than any of those other teams did in the WC (out of those that were even good enough to qualify), so even if we are shit, we're not as shit as everyone else in that group.

If you're the best team in your group, you've got an easy group. Simple.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Jul 2010 16:39:57 39,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You have seen England play haven't you?

The ultimate play at the level of the opposition team...except we cant step up to world class.

• Deleted user 6 July 2010 16:41:23
    kalel wrote:
    I don't know how are people are saying that isn't an easy group - it clearly is.

That doesn't mean we'll easily qualify (see this year's easy WC group for more details) but you can't ask for much more than a group like that.

Yeah you'll piss it.

The only team that could trouble you is Wales, depending on how their kids are when you play them. Despite Switzerland beating Spain, they're still shit. Bulgaria don't have Berbatov, and are shit.
  • El_MUERkO 6 Jul 2010 16:42:05 16,978 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awee.... WTF!!??!!

Russia
    Slovakia
    Republic of Ireland
    Macedonia
    Armenia
    Andorra

Away games should be fun :/
  • Flightrisker 6 Jul 2010 16:43:40 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    We got further than any of those other teams did in the WC (out of those that were even good enough to qualify), so even if we are shit, we're not as shit as everyone else in that group.

England were the best team in their qualifying group for the last Euros too.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2010 16:43:57 87,120 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Time to get over a dissapointing World Cup campaign and start seeing the big picture. This isn't the Sun message board. Back to reality please - i.e. we're a decent but not excellent team that due to injuries and other issues had a bit of a mare in the World Cup, but nevertheless we should breaze through a group like that. The hand-wringing is getting dul now.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2010 16:44:39 87,120 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flightrisker wrote:
    kalel wrote:

kalel wrote:
  • Flightrisker 6 Jul 2010 16:49:19 18,138 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Flightrisker wrote:
    kalel wrote:

kalel wrote:

My point was more so that when you consider that England have "had a mare" in the WC Finals, and I guess also had a mare in the Euro Qualifying you have to readdress what is an easy group for England.

How long do England have to underachieve before people will stop expecting them to be good?
  • kalel 6 Jul 2010 16:54:37 87,120 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You really don't get much easier than that group. Therefore it's an easy group, regardless of how you perceive us. Replace us with Lithuania, and Lithuania would have an easy group.

And we kicked everyone's arse in WC qualifying which is a much greater indication of how well we'll do in these qualifying games imo. Tournaments are a very different set of circumstances.
  • Dougs 6 Jul 2010 16:54:40 67,254 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Time to get over a dissapointing World Cup campaign and start seeing the big picture. This isn't the Sun message board. Back to reality please - i.e. we're a decent but not excellent team that due to injuries and other issues had a bit of a mare in the World Cup, but nevertheless we should breaze through a group like that. The hand-wringing is getting dul now.

Indeed. I'd like us to bin some of the older players all the same. Gerrard, Lampard and Barry for starters.
  • THFourteen 6 Jul 2010 16:56:07 33,233 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    tell you why i am not interested in the campaign, or england for that matter. our starting lineup for the qualifier will be

james

johnson, terry, upson, cole

SWP, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard

Rooney, Heskey
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Jul 2010 16:56:40 39,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:

This is the problem. Decent is not good enough why not strive for excellence?!

A few weeks worth of it's all doom and gloom and we need to change things, then everyone forgets and nothing gets changed.

I called for continued prolonged painful hand-wringing. Then maybe just maybe some motherfucker at the top will change something worthwhile.

• mcmonkeyplc 6 Jul 2010 16:57:25 39,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    tell you why i am not interested in the campaign, or england for that matter. our starting lineup for the qualifier will be

james

johnson, terry, upson, cole

SWP, Barry, Lampard, Gerrard

Rooney, Heskey

No it wont be. Capello already said he needs to bring new players into the team. If it is that team you can sack him.

• Deleted user 6 July 2010 16:57:35
    THFourteen wrote:
    tell you why i am not interested in the campaign, or england for that matter.

Does anyone ever follow through with this? Quite often people will say "Right I'm finished with country x!", and they're drawn back in after one or two good results.
  • THFourteen 6 Jul 2010 17:00:57 33,233 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

Does anyone ever follow through with this? Quite often people will say "Right I'm finished with country x!", and they're drawn back in after one or two good results.

its not the results, its the performances

we are so dull and uninspiring to watch

i would say i watched maybe 30% of our qualifying games on tv last 2 years, went to wembley once.

this is compared to never missing an arsenal game if its a home game i'm there, or if its on telly i'm watching.

• kalel 6 Jul 2010 17:01:35 87,120 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    kalel wrote:

This is the problem. Decent is not good enough why not strive for excellence?!

A few weeks worth of it's all doom and gloom and we need to change things, then everyone forgets and nothing gets changed.

I called for continued prolonged painful hand-wringing. Then maybe just maybe some motherfucker at the top will change something worthwhile.

Right well, if that's the conversation now I'll assume you're therefore agreeing with me that it is in fact an easy group, and I'll leave you to your hand-wringing.
  • Deleted user 6 July 2010 17:03:17
    THFourteen wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:

its not the results, its the performances

we are so dull and uninspiring to watch

i would say i watched maybe 30% of our qualifying games on tv last 2 years, went to wembley once.

this is compared to never missing an arsenal game if its a home game i'm there, or if its on telly i'm watching.

You've been dull and uninspiring to watch for years though.

And people often say a crucial element of being a true supporter is supporting your club through thick and thin (which, considering how Arsenal sometimes fare, you do). Why should it be different for your country?

It's not like you've been on a run of Scotland-under-Berti-Vogts-esque proportions or anything.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Jul 2010 17:03:51 39,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Capello warned us

Yes, Kalel I agree with you on paper however our wonderful national team does not perform to it's ability on paper.

• Deleted user 6 July 2010 17:05:25
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Capello warned us

Fuck me, that is absolutely dire.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2010 17:05:27 87,120 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes it does. On paper we were not as good as Germany. Therfore we lost.
  • kalel 6 Jul 2010 17:09:37 87,120 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is a massive irony when people talk about being realistic and such about England, and then just go straight to the other extreme and start suggesting we’re worse than the likes of Switzerland or Bulgaria.

Yeah, we’re not the best team in the world. We’re probably not even in that top tier of ten or so teams. But we are a fuck of a lot better than most of the hand-wringers suggest.

And again, the irony of that position is that much like the “WE’RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP” ridiculousness, it’s a largely a media induced reaction.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Jul 2010 17:15:11 39,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deathgibbon wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Capello warned us

Fuck me, that is absolutely dire.

Thanks for the money!

:p

• mcmonkeyplc 6 Jul 2010 17:18:16 39,440 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There is a massive irony when people talk about being realistic and such about England, and then just go straight to the other extreme and start suggesting we’re worse than the likes of Switzerland or Bulgaria.

Yeah, we’re not the best team in the world. We’re probably not even in that top tier of ten or so teams. But we are a fuck of a lot better than most of the hand-wringers suggest.

And again, the irony of that position is that much like the “WE’RE GOING TO WIN THE WORLD CUP” ridiculousness, it’s a largely a media induced reaction.

My point is that we should be aiming to actually play like a top 10 team. So were not shit, we are shitter than we should be and that is what frustrates me.

• El_MUERkO 6 Jul 2010 17:19:06 16,978 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    You really don't get much easier than that group. Therefore it's an easy group, regardless of how you perceive us. Replace us with Lithuania, and Lithuania would have an easy group.

And we kicked everyone's arse in WC qualifying which is a much greater indication of how well we'll do in these qualifying games imo. Tournaments are a very different set of circumstances.

you should breeze through a group like that but if the causes of your world cup exit arent dealt with then expect a humiliating exit from 2012 shortly there-after
  • disusedgenius 6 Jul 2010 17:26:40 5,284 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    you should breeze through a group like that but if the causes of your world cup exit arent dealt with then expect a humiliating exit from 2012 shortly there-after
    The thing is that what causes you to fuck up in a tournament isn't the same as what causes you to fuck up in qualifying. We could breeze though the qualifying for this and still be fucked in the finals.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Jul 2010 18:16:25 8,019 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How did England get in pot 1?
  • Dougs 5 Aug 2010 12:39:35 67,254 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So it looks like Walcott, Gibbs and Wilshere will be called up to the full squad to play Hungary. Things are looking up already!
  • Page

of 248 First / Last