Kick Ass Page 8

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• Genji 13 Apr 2010 15:04:43 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    I'd say that both instances are necessary in showing the fallibility of the the characters. I still don't really see the fuss about the father/daughter scene. It's funny; it's showing that they are clearly quite nuts. Plus y'know, it's not real life. I'm not in any way having a go at you Genji, and I can totally see how people could be offended. I just don't think they should be. And knee jerk review like the ones seen in the Daily Mail and the Telegraph are bonkers.
    Hey, I understood why the scenes were in there. I just wonder... if they'd done it a different, less brutal way, would it have affected the movie all that much?

And yes, we can argue all day about whether people should be offended or not, but it makes no difference. They will be, and not entirely without reason, I reckon.

But it didn't offend me. It takes quite a lot to offend me. :)
  • ProfessorLesser 13 Apr 2010 15:07:41 19,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think it would have totally changed the film. That scene set my expectations for the entire duration.
  • Genji 13 Apr 2010 15:11:27 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, who knows. Nothing can be done about it now. It is what it is.

I still reckon it could have trimmed a lot of the middle section, though.
  • ProfessorLesser 13 Apr 2010 15:15:24 19,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, middle section needed trimming.
  • mcmonkeyplc 13 Apr 2010 15:23:33 39,521 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As a side note I loved that chick kick ass was screwing. She made me moist.

Edit: Lyndsy Fonseca

My my my my my

/tissue.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Genji 13 Apr 2010 15:24:01 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Far too many films these days seem to have problems with length and pacing. Imo, you should start with the bare bones of the film and then add things, rather than starting with everything and still leaving a lot of shit in there. There's no excuse for having something too long in the theater release, especially now we have all of this "DVD Directors cut" business and "deleted scene" features.
  • repairmanjack 13 Apr 2010 15:27:55 6,071 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

What, the one who looked about fourteen?

/calls Daily Mail
  • mcmonkeyplc 13 Apr 2010 15:30:21 39,521 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

/calls Daily Mail

She's 24! :p

• repairmanjack 13 Apr 2010 15:31:38 6,071 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:

/calls Daily Mail

She's 24! :p

But so young looking that you had to check? :)
  • mcmonkeyplc 13 Apr 2010 15:33:43 39,521 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hey I'm only 27 and I look about 18 when I shave. :)

• BinaryBob101 13 Apr 2010 15:47:16 24,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is doing my fucking head in.

I have to wait till next Tuesday to see this. Next Tuesday. Stupid cinema.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Goban 13 Apr 2010 16:22:29 9,076 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm in a similar boat, I only have myself to blame.
  • Genji 15 Apr 2010 04:53:28 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Heh, I really don't think Ebert is going to like this movie.

I'll take a punt and say he'll give it 1 star. But perhaps it might be one of his famed 'zero star' reviews.
    The actual review is not up yet, but according to his website it seems to be getting a "double thumbs-down". Which isn't very good at all! My prediction might be close to the mark! :D

Will update with a link when it's available. I find his reviews to be a good read and not at all tabloidey, regardless of whether I agree with them or not.
  • Genji 15 Apr 2010 05:43:00 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pac-man ate my wife wrote:
    Genji wrote:
    An 11-year-old gets shot and punched in the face, after all. I can understand how some people might get a bit offended by that.

I think context is an important point here.

Yes it is quite a shocking and extreme moment in a film where everything is turned up to 11, but it doesn't really linger on the beating (most of it is off camera) and very quickly Kick-Ass turns up, guns them all down and They All Live Happily Ever After. If she'd been killed, disabled or tortured I think it would've pushed it too far and been certificated 18. As it is, it's only just acceptable as a 15.
    Well, I'd like to play the devil's advocate here, if for no other reason than to provide an alternative viewpoint.

Yes, "context" can be important. But I think a significant number of people would argue that there are very few "contexts" in which it is acceptable to show a little girl getting punched in the face, kicked, and strangled by a man four times her age; and that "fun over-the-top violence" or "shock value" are not examples of the acceptable contexts. Even if it cuts away, even if you understand the "context", there is still an 11-year-old getting beaten up - that in itself will not go down very well with some audiences.

Also, there is the matter of responsibility on the part of the film maker, and on the part of the young actresses' parents. If you were a parent of a young actress, would you allow her to sign up to a movie like this? It's a bit like Nicholas Cage's character - "OK honey, now face the camera and say 'giant cock' again. Good. OK, I don't think your reaction to getting shot in the stomach was realistic enough, could we do it again? There's a good girl." Character issues aside, that's a real 11-year-old* girl saying and doing that stuff. I suppose they might have used a midget double or something for the action scenes, but still - would you let your kid do it?

Again, it's not my intention to go all moral outrage on the thread. As I said, I liked the film, and my main issue with it was one of pacing. But I do think that films such as this need more careful consideration (for me) than just saying "oh my god, this movie rocks, 10/10".

* OK, she's 13. But I think the issue still remains.
  • Genji 15 Apr 2010 05:46:43 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ebert review here. One star (out of four). Some of it is eerily similar to what I wrote in the previous post. O_o

I swear I didn't copy it! I read the review afterwards!
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 15 Apr 2010 08:19:59 7,014 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Genji

I think that we probably won't agree about the context although I firmly believe there's almost nothing that can't be justified within the correct framing (other than actual illegal acts commited to film). Look at Lolita, look at Leon, Taxi Driver, City Of God, even Slumdog. All have pretty disturbing treatment of children/young people.

In Kick Ass I found the moment that Hit Girl is beaten is the wake-up call. It's the end of things, the moment you do realise that she's not a ninja but a young girl with vunerabilities.

As for whether a young actress should play the part then I disagree with you strongly. Film sets are not real-life and young actors are very protected. I do suggest reading some of the interviews and articles about the making of the film. She is apparently very down to earth, doesn't use bad language at home and is very clear in her job as an actress.

Obviously if a young actor is asked to something over the line such as kill an animal or perform a sexual act unsuitable for their age then a filmmaker has to be brought to task but, really, what's the worst that happens here? She pretends to kill some people and says a couple of rude words.
  • Pac-man-ate-my-wife 15 Apr 2010 08:21:32 7,014 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @ Genji

I think that we probably won't agree about the context although I firmly believe there's almost nothing that can't be justified in within the correct framing (other than actual illegal acts commited to film). Look at Lolita, look at Leon, Taxi Driver, City Of God, even Slumdog. All have pretty disturbing treatment of children/young people.

In Kick Ass I found the moment that Hit Girl is beaten is the wake-up call. It's the end of things, the moment you do realise that she's not a ninja but a young girl with vunerabilities.

As for whether a young actress should play the part then I disagree with you strongly. Film sets are not real-life and young actors are very protected. I do suggest reading some of the interviews and articles about the making of the film. She is apparently very down to earth, doesn't use bad language at home and is very clear in her job as an actress.

Obviously if an young actor is asked to something over the line such as kill an animal or perform a sexual act unsuitable for their age then a filmmaker has to be brought to task but, really, what's the worst that happens here? She pretends to kill some people and says a couple of rude words.

• Scurrminator 15 Apr 2010 08:49:03 8,460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a film.
    Jesus.
    The content of said film was well publicised so if you were going to be offended.
    Would you go and see a film called 'the raping' and then come back and say there was too much rape?
    I have conversations with worse shit in than this film, and i did that when i was in school, and no-one 'protected' me.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Scurrminator 15 Apr 2010 08:53:04 8,460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ps the film was good, however it suffered from having been finished over a year ago and a lot of stuff had been shown as clips on the net (that followed the structure/story).
    But still very enjoyable nonetheless.
    Gutted about big daddy

• ProfessorLesser 15 Apr 2010 09:19:33 19,411 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Genji wrote:
    Yes, "context" can be important. But I think a significant number of people would argue that there are very few "contexts" in which it is acceptable to show a little girl getting punched in the face, kicked, and strangled by a man four times her age; and that "fun over-the-top violence" or "shock value" are not examples of the acceptable contexts. Even if it cuts away, even if you understand the "context", there is still an 11-year-old getting beaten up - that in itself will not go down very well with some audiences.
    The context of the film isn't beyond the fourth wall - that's almost out of context, by definition. Hit Girl doesn't see it as "fun, over the top violence" - we do. The context of the film is that she's an aggressive, bloodthirsty assassin who, at some point, has got to take it as well as dish it out. I didn't even find this bit of the film shocking to be honest, I totally bought the character and had the sort of trust and respect for her that Big Daddy did. And that's what's meant to happen if you get drawn in, isn't it? That's the context. Not to be sitting there thinking "I say, that's a little off." That's out of context.

Also, there is the matter of responsibility on the part of the film maker, and on the part of the young actresses' parents. If you were a parent of a young actress, would you allow her to sign up to a movie like this? It's a bit like Nicholas Cage's character - "OK honey, now face the camera and say 'giant cock' again. Good. OK, I don't think your reaction to getting shot in the stomach was realistic enough, could we do it again? There's a good girl." Character issues aside, that's a real 11-year-old* girl saying and doing that stuff. I suppose they might have used a midget double or something for the action scenes, but still - would you let your kid do it?
    If I had a 13 year old daughter who'd done well enough in a professional acting career to get signed onto a movie like this, I think I would have enough faith in her to do a professional job of whatever her role demanded. After all, all children swear behind our backs (and even if they don't they can go and see the film for themselves in only two years), and she's not actually getting punched in the face! Don't see the problem for the parents at all tbh.
  • Genji 15 Apr 2010 12:06:51 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    It's a film.
    Jesus.
    And? So what? It's a film, so we shouldn't talk about it?
    The content of said film was well publicised so if you were going to be offended.
    Would you go and see a film called 'the raping' and then come back and say there was too much rape?
    I hadn't seen any ads for this film on TV or whatnot. The only knowledge I had came from this forum, actually, and none of the trailers - you know, the things that most people usually watch - had anything to do with little girls getting kicked in the face.

And it's called "Kick Ass" - I don't think that in of itself signifies extreme violence.
    I have conversations with worse shit in than this film, and i did that when i was in school, and no-one 'protected' me.
    Does this matter? What films did you watch when you were a kid?
  • Scurrminator 15 Apr 2010 12:19:15 8,460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Terminator, Predator, Robocop etc etc.
    I can't fathom what it is you found so offensive.
    Did you throw a hissy fit whenever there was a fight at school and a kid got hit in the face? Or is the issue that a child was getting hit in the face by an adult - pretend hit we must add.

The violence was meant to make you wince a bit. Like the film was stupid really, but at the end of the day if people did this stuff for real they WOULD get stabbed, they WOULD get beaten up and that served as a reminder.

• Genji 15 Apr 2010 12:20:19 19,687 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @ Genji

I think that we probably won't agree about the context although I firmly believe there's almost nothing that can't be justified within the correct framing (other than actual illegal acts commited to film). Look at Lolita, look at Leon, Taxi Driver, City Of God, even Slumdog. All have pretty disturbing treatment of children/young people.
    Yes, but in those films, the treatment of the young actually has a point, in that it's a reflection of what happens in real life. It's confronting, sure, but it has a point. This film, on the other hand, seemed unsure as to whether it wanted to be taken seriously or not. The "point" here, inasmuch as there is one, is to be controversial. The context could be seen as unacceptable.

Obviously if a young actor is asked to something over the line such as kill an animal or perform a sexual act unsuitable for their age then a filmmaker has to be brought to task but, really, what's the worst that happens here? She pretends to kill some people and says a couple of rude words.
    Well, I think that's an indication of how passe this kind of stuff is these days. Killing an animal and performing sexual acts is "unsuitable for their age", but killing lots of people with an uzi? - hey, that's a-ok! :D

20 years ago, I seriously doubt you would have seen any kid actors cutting people's throats, or calling people cunts. The worst you would have seen would have been... oh, I dunno, Lord of the Flies or something. Or The Karate Kid. :p

Anyway. It's fun to talk about this! :)
  • Kay 15 Apr 2010 12:22:15 17,955 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The scene where Kick Ass gets stabbed, and then run over, was the most shocking for me - and that's what made it such a necessary and great scene. Most other superhero films would have sugarcoated that initial fight somehow, whereas Kick Ass gives you a reality check - like his friends said earlier on in the film, being a superhero wouldn't be possible in the real world because you'd most probably be dead within a day. That scene hammers the point home and lets the audience know that this is not going to be your average twee superhero flick.
  • Scurrminator 15 Apr 2010 12:22:57 8,460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    genji, the same can be said of any form of media.
    When cartoons first came out i don't think people thought hentai rape stuff would be around in 50 years.

• BinaryBob101 15 Apr 2010 12:43:57 24,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    At the end of the day, it's meant to be a satire on violence in media and the world of comics. The Marvel universe in particular. It seems to be doing a very good job of what it set out to do.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Pac-man-ate-my-wife 15 Apr 2010 12:46:40 7,014 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Genji wrote:

Well, I think that's an indication of how passe this kind of stuff is these days. Killing an animal and performing sexual acts is "unsuitable for their age", but killing lots of people with an uzi? - hey, that's a-ok! :D

20 years ago, I seriously doubt you would have seen any kid actors cutting people's throats, or calling people cunts. The worst you would have seen would have been... oh, I dunno, Lord of the Flies or something. Or The Karate Kid. :p

Anyway. It's fun to talk about this! :)

I think you've misunderstood my point somewhat, I'm talking about actions taking place during filming, not the final product which will always be arguable.

For a young actress to pretend to kill people who'll, when the scene cuts, will then get up and laugh with her is fine. To ask her to kill and animal which will then be dead forever or to perform sexually with an older actor is unacceptable. I'm talking about things that an actor would have to do, not what is being portrayed.
  • BinaryBob101 15 Apr 2010 12:49:56 24,130 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kids pretend to kill each other every day. It's called play.

www.TheGrumpyVaper.com

• Scurrminator 15 Apr 2010 12:50:39 8,460 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    don't watch Leon, it's like a peado recruitment film or something!!!

• the_dudefather 15 Apr 2010 12:57:10 9,400 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/kick-ass-reveal-trailer?size=hd

OH LAWD

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Page

of 12 First / Last