Does anyone have a mkII Punto?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Angel_Treats 21 Oct 2009 17:48:20 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Still no car category? Boo.

Anyway I have a quick question for anyone who has one of these, or has driven one in the past. Specifically the mkII. Any Punto owners on EG?
  • kalel 21 Oct 2009 18:05:58 86,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Angel_Treats wrote:
    Still no car category? Boo.

Anyway I have a quick question for anyone who has one of these, or has driven one in the past. Specifically the mkII. Any Punto owners on EG?

If this is an issue involving parts being expensive, please pass on this message to rutty for me.

I told you so

• Angel_Treats 21 Oct 2009 18:11:02 11,072 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's not. And he wanted it, I didn't!

Bloodkult, I'm just wondering what the clutch was like on your Punto. The clutch in the one we've just bought is very high - the bite point is almost right at the top of the travel. Normally I'd wonder if the clutch was on its way out but it's not slipping at all and apparently it's a hydraulic clutch and in the mkII the bite point is always high. Was yours similar?

We're both jobhunting and depending on where we end up working, we may have to buy a second car. This one will DEFINITELY NOT be mine as I hate it to death.
  • angeltreats 21 Oct 2009 18:43:10 2,602 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God. I wish I hadn't read this!

Our mkI has just died - we bought a geriatric one for hardly any money a few months ago with the intention of driving it for a very short time and then buying something 'proper'. It started overheating on Monday and we went to look at replacements. Rutty fell in love with this mkII. It's in absolutely pristine condition, low mileage, one owner etc etc. I wanted to like it but as soon as I drove it I couldn't stand it. But I gave in because he really liked it. And now I wish I hadn't.
  • kalel 21 Oct 2009 18:46:43 86,426 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you're looking for an everyday reliable run-around type car, Italian should be pretty much your last choice. Italian cars are designed for fun, and the price you have to pay is extreme unreliability, and expensive repairs. It's as true of Fiats as it is of Ferraris.

Sorry :(
  • angeltreats 21 Oct 2009 18:56:00 2,602 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    We couldn't agree on anything else. And we needed a car immediately because we live in the middle of nowhere.

If I still hate it that badly after a while and can't get used to the horrible, horrible clutch we'll trade it back in and swap it for something less awful.

Anyway I've had quite a bit of second-hand experience with Fiats. My dad's never driven anything else, and my cousin was a Fiat mechanic for years. My dad's looked after his cars and he's never had any trouble with them apart from the obvious things that will wear out on any car. And parts can always be had from the scrap yard and a lot of stuff you can do yourself. I don't necessarily think they're that much worse than your average small car. Our current one, although it's dying now and has its stroppy moments, is 14 years old, has had 13 owners and is still going and if we could be arsed fixing it, it'd go for another while yet. This is the first one I've driven that I've disliked.
  • magicpanda 21 Oct 2009 19:10:26 13,274 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=95

Good website that :)
  • angeltreats 21 Oct 2009 19:12:19 2,602 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Magic Panda wrote:
    http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=95

Good website that :)

Doesn't say anything about a weirdly high bite point though!
  • Dirtbox 21 Oct 2009 19:13:14 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just put it down to shoddy workmanship, or someone not resetting the clutch pedal the last time the clutch was replaced.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 21 October 2009 19:16:49
    I had one for a few years and sold it the other week

Fiats are great little cars - I found though that as soon as 1 thing went wrong it quickly snowballed into practically everything - this was after a few years though and I hardly took great care of it

Fiats ain't great in the snow either I found - it was very nerve wrecking at Xmas going 1 mile to the shops on semi icy roads - damn mediteranean-based mechanics
  • angeltreats 21 Oct 2009 19:17:59 2,602 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So was the clutch on yours the way I described it? Really high biting point?
  • Dirtbox 21 Oct 2009 19:18:20 77,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Some fiats are better than others, but on the whole I wouldn't recommend an italian car as they're basically shit.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• malloc 21 Oct 2009 19:20:37 2,300 posts
    Seen 28 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep, I've got one. Can't complain really. Wouldn't go out of my way to recommend them but no real problems to worry about. Get about 55mpg out of it.

Having said that I'll no doubt breakdown on the way to work tomorrow. Or worse, on the way back.
  • Deleted user 21 October 2009 19:20:41
    I didnt mind the clutch at all - the steering was lethal on icy roads - as a cheap car though I can't fault it - it did me good for years (from new so that may have a bearing). I personally wouldn't buy one that was over 3 yo owing to points in my 1st post but thats just me
  • L_Franko Moderator 22 Oct 2009 10:16:29 9,694 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I had a 54 plate Punto for about 3 months until it was written off by a white van man.
    Up until then it was spot on and really cheap on the fuel.
    Like what was said earlier in the thread though my foot also used to slip off the clutch from it being quite springy.

Unrelated but the bastard white van man still has not admited fault yet, after nearly two months, so my excess has been taken out of my settlement cheque.
    Sorry, needed to moan.
  • jonsaan 22 Oct 2009 15:55:36 25,326 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My Punto is an 02 model, which we have had from new.

I have had steering issues where the power steering just gives up but luckily it comes back after a while. I refuse to pay out.

My clutch completely died and cost me 750 quid to replace it. Also there is a widespread fault with the windscreen wipers you can probably find on google.

Outside of all that however, it's probably the most reliable car I have ever owned.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:47:24
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next