of 21 First / Last

• monkeyspasm 23 Oct 2009 13:55:19 2,771 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, nicely turned around Timmy.
  • FWB 23 Oct 2009 13:55:49 43,791 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Err hang on... "look for something more suitable in the new year"? You said you had a proper job lined up and that this was only a weeks work for you? So you actually didn't want to work at all?
  • smoothpete 23 Oct 2009 13:59:14 31,307 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, so you are actually a scrounger then?
  • Carlo 23 Oct 2009 14:08:56 17,948 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes, I think a treatment sounds like a great idea...

Did I fall asleep?

PSN ID: Djini

• mcmonkeyplc 23 Oct 2009 14:11:16 39,384 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LIES!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• YoshiMcTaggis 23 Oct 2009 14:19:57 2,778 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Perhaps if Timmy wasn't trying to fill every room in his house with Freeview boxes he might have a bit more cash.
  • Syrette 27 Oct 2009 16:55:29 43,054 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So how did the failing go?

• Dougs 27 Oct 2009 16:57:38 66,564 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He got it by the looks of it over the page!
  • Timmy 27 Oct 2009 17:10:28 9,031 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dufftownallan wrote:
    what happened to the other job?

I found out I got that job as well. I've always been good at interviews :)

I'll be taking the job that I found, which shows I know how to get a job for myself, i'm more than capable in interviews and I don't need tne dole sticking their noses in and wasting my time and money.

/smug mode 'on'. ;)
  • Jeepers 27 Oct 2009 17:12:04 13,172 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What's the correct EG meme in this situation?

"Smelly benefit fraud" or "Trimming a seedling"?
  • mrpon 27 Oct 2009 17:12:39 28,399 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    :D

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Salaman 27 Oct 2009 17:18:42 18,832 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm confused now, you have the job that was pretty much guraranteed.
    You also have the job which you were forced to interview and which started 1 week earlier than the other job.

So you'll do the forced job for 1 week and then go onto the job you got yourself & then at the start of next year look for something all together different?

/confused
  • sargulesh 27 Oct 2009 17:20:47 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd have "re-read your post you spastic" as a sig if we had them : (
  • Syrette 27 Oct 2009 18:07:37 43,054 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    He got it by the looks of it over the page!

Fail.

Next time I'll try reading the thread.

• whatthefu 16 Mar 2012 21:32:54 850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Failed my interview today for uni admission.
    I finished the interview at 10am and by 4pm I had the notice email from UCAS that I had been turned down.
    Seems they didn't even have much to think about.

Damnit. I really hate interviews.
  • Lexx87 16 Mar 2012 21:34:15 20,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Get feedback, best thing you can do.

Speak the truth hussy!

• localnotail 16 Mar 2012 21:39:23 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, bad luck :( Interviews suck.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Lexx87 16 Mar 2012 21:55:53 20,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They are fine with some practise (which takes failure), lots of reading up and working on what you fucke up in the last one.

Speak the truth hussy!

• localnotail 16 Mar 2012 22:01:50 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I dunno, I've done loads, they never seem to get easier.

• KayJay 16 Mar 2012 22:11:29 5,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On a more positive note.
    I was made redundant from a large software company (who's CEO would rather spend his billions on Americas Cup catamarans) back in December and I've finally found a new job after many many interviews.

It clearly wasn't for Uni, so perhaps a little different. But the experience I picked up over those interviews really helped.
    And to be honest I'm going to miss he challenge of the interviews, they actually started to become quite enjoyable. All the revision and reading up on a company was really quite interesting and allowed me to understand lots of different sectors and how companies do their business.

I've a good mind to update my CV with all the interviews I took and all the knowledge they gave me.

Try and pull some positives from every interview you have and as Lexx mentions really push for feedback. The way my CV evolved over the months is really stark. Chalk and cheese to how it was. And it's paid off. Great new company, on the up and my wage has increased dramatically.

What a relief. \o/

/pats self on back

Edited by KayJay at 22:12:10 16-03-2012
  • mAc6 16 Mar 2012 22:17:30 405 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    congrats!! :)
  • Lexx87 16 Mar 2012 22:34:25 20,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    localnotail wrote:
    I dunno, I've done loads, they never seem to get easier.
    Probably because you're making the same mistakes everytime! Each one should be easier as you get more used to the format and more relaxed.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lexx87 16 Mar 2012 22:34:45 20,869 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice one Kay :)

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 16 March 2012 22:40:27
    Interviews are easy if you approach them as if you're talking to someone you want to be your friend. Talk to them as if they are going to be the people that give you what you want and you'll struggle.

To date I've had 6 interviews and only one was a no. I'm happy to help you succeed, just ask :)
  • Deleted user 16 March 2012 22:41:19
    And congrats Kay.
  • Phattso Moderator 16 Mar 2012 22:59:37 13,187 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've only really had experience from the other side of the table (I've been fortunate enough never to fail an interview for a permie job, not that I've had many jobs as I was self employed for the better part of a decade of my 16 years in industry) but there's no better advice than "be polite, be yourself, be involved in the conversation and know your shit."

It's as much about "fit" as it is knowledge. If you come across as stiff and formal ('cos that's how you do interviews) and I can't coax you out of your shell, and I run a company full of casual hippy types then I'm not gonna let you in. Equally, if you pretend to be someone you're not then even if you get in you're not gonna pass probation.

And it does (well, it should) get easier with time. As someone above said, if you can get feedback should you be unlucky with an interview it can really help you. I provide feedback to all the agencies when I reject a candidate, and try to make it as useful as I can.

Congrats to those that have landed something. Best of luck to those still going for it.
  • KayJay 16 Mar 2012 23:03:16 5,287 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers chaps.
    I'd been with the thing in the sky during the day for 14 years until he bird who knows everything in the Matrix acquired us a couple of years ago.
    I had 3 different roles in that time always moving internally so interviews were not required. So the interviews this year had really been my first in a very long time.
    The first couple were really difficult. As well as I had prepared it wasn't easy, but after the 2nd it just clicked and as Aargh says you just need to speak with the interviewer on the same level. Depending on who they are they might be as nervous as you are. It all about building a relationship in 30 minutes.

My last and successful interview was with the European Professional Services VP. And I rocked it, he offered me the job there and then. I had to ask him for a couple of hours so I left grabbed a coffee and a sarnie, spoke to my agent who cancelled my two interviews for next week and negotiated a sweet package. I start Monday.

Obviously working at one company for 14+ years I received a pretty decent redundancy package, but I can bank around 70% of that, come off the dole and start putting back that 67 a week I've been getting of you lovely tax payers for the last couple of months. Thanks for that. :)
  • localnotail 16 Mar 2012 23:04:41 23,093 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ah, the confidence of youth. I come across fine in interviews, and do well in tests, and I've had as many job offers as I've had rejections, I think, but I still dislike the experience. The process is very artificial, and your ability to do a job well can have little influence on whether you get selected.

Quite often they already have someone in mind, and you are just making up the numbers. Sometimes the interviewers are awful at interviewing. Sometimes they make a decision about you that is total prejudice and there is nothing you can do about it. I have been frequently asked in the past if I am sure I want to do a job, because I seem too smart for the job I'm applying for. So I'm too smart to do it, but not smart enough to know that :rolleyes:

Congrats to KayJay though :)

Edited by localnotail at 23:12:12 16-03-2012

• dominalien 16 Mar 2012 23:05:59 6,821 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope I never have to do an interview again. Which is sort of strange, considering the last one I did went stellar. Not so much for the actual job that followed, though.

That's about as much as I can add to the discussion.

PSN: DonOsito

• Rusty_M 17 Mar 2012 08:55:10 4,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Interviews are easy if you approach them as if you're talking to someone you want to be your friend. Talk to them as if they are going to be the people that give you what you want and you'll struggle.

To date I've had 6 interviews and only one was a no. I'm happy to help you succeed, just ask :)
    +1

Now I think about it, my most successful interviews have been the ones that felt more like a chat than an interview.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Page

of 21 First / Last