of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 5 October 2009 22:25:57
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 5 October 2009 22:26:31
    Warren Spector really likes Disney.
  • Benraiben2k 5 Oct 2009 22:57:00 246 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Doesn't seem like a wasted chance at all to me. If it lives up to the ideas of the artwork we've seen and creates a good atmosphere, I really don't care what consoles its on. I hate when people moan "oh but its on the Wii....". Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. Sure, it is always nice to have a game with the best graphics possible - but if it isn't, not a major problem is it? Besides, the Wii can dish out some good looking graphics of its own, of course not like 360/PS3 but that is old news and we all know it.

I love Mickey's Magical Quest, no HD there.

As long as the game doesn't go over board with motion and what motion it uses feels natural and not "for the sake", it could be a really good game.
  • sargulesh 6 Oct 2009 00:43:31 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree, Ben.
  • Deleted user 6 October 2009 06:28:30
    lots of nice bans for HD idiots at gaf over this news :-)
  • ecureuil 6 Oct 2009 07:11:48 76,495 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well it is on the Wii.
  • Scimarad 6 Oct 2009 07:17:06 8,530 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Benraiben2k wrote:
    Doesn't seem like a wasted chance at all to me. If it lives up to the ideas of the artwork we've seen and creates a good atmosphere, I really don't care what consoles its on. I hate when people moan "oh but its on the Wii....". Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. Sure, it is always nice to have a game with the best graphics possible - but if it isn't, not a major problem is it? Besides, the Wii can dish out some good looking graphics of its own, of course not like 360/PS3 but that is old news and we all know it...

The problem is most of us are using HD TVs and the Wii DOES look shit on an HD TV. Personally I could do without all the motion bollocks as well.
  • George-Roper 6 Oct 2009 07:19:34 704 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Benraiben2k wrote:
    Doesn't seem like a wasted chance at all to me. If it lives up to the ideas of the artwork we've seen and creates a good atmosphere, I really don't care what consoles its on. I hate when people moan "oh but its on the Wii....". Gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. Sure, it is always nice to have a game with the best graphics possible - but if it isn't, not a major problem is it? Besides, the Wii can dish out some good looking graphics of its own, of course not like 360/PS3 but that is old news and we all know it.

I love Mickey's Magical Quest, no HD there.

As long as the game doesn't go over board with motion and what motion it uses feels natural and not "for the sake", it could be a really good game.

Isn't that the core problem, though? 99% of Wii shovelware uses the motion "for the sake", not because it actually adds anything worthwhile?

I think what will make the difference is whether this is treated as a AAA game or yet another piece of Wii 'family' shovelware.
  • paul_haine 6 Oct 2009 08:45:30 4,205 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    The problem is most of us are using HD TVs and the Wii DOES look shit on an HD TV.

Looks fine on mine, maybe you've got a crap TV. Have you tried using gold-plated leads? I hear they help.
  • Pirotic Moderator 6 Oct 2009 08:57:57 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gold plated leads. Wow, they still selling that tosh to people? in the digital era it makes absolutely no difference, either the signal gets through the cable or it doesn't.
  • Blerk Moderator 6 Oct 2009 09:00:18 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The concept art was fantastic. The fact that it's Wii-only is somewhat disappointing. Although it might have turned out crap regardless. Like Deus Ex. :-D
  • Tonka 6 Oct 2009 09:21:33 20,011 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BURN!

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Blerk Moderator 6 Oct 2009 09:22:10 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That took longer than I expected!
  • Der_tolle_Emil 6 Oct 2009 09:24:35 7,299 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    gold plated leads. Wow, they still selling that tosh to people? in the digital era it makes absolutely no difference, either the signal gets through the cable or it doesn't.

True as long as we are talking about HDMI. Everything else is still analog and the Wii doesn't come with HDMI. Not that gold plated connectors will do much for image quality, usually the problem with cheap cables are impedance and the lack of proper shielding. Still, the biggest problem with the Wii's image quality on HDTVs is the TV itself (and a bad upscaler/deinterlacer).

Anyway, the concept art certainly looks interesting. I'm not a big fan of Mickey Mouse (or most of the other Disney stuff) but there's something about the image that I really like.

• varsas 6 Oct 2009 10:09:22 2,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:

The problem is most of us are using HD TVs and the Wii DOES look shit on an HD TV. Personally I could do without all the motion bollocks as well.
    Wasn't there an article on Digital Foundry that indicated that in fact most do not have HDTVs?
  • sargulesh 6 Oct 2009 10:23:54 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    lord wrote:
    lots of nice bans for HD idiots at gaf over this news :-)

:D:D:D:D
  • Deleted user 6 October 2009 11:26:24
    I really don't understand why 'Wii Fans' are up in arms for our criticisms on the console choice.

I have a Wii, I'm pretty sure this game will look "good" and be a fantastic game (and i WILL buy it) but I'm still very frustrated that its on the Wii.

The concept art looks 'epic', 'amazing', 'fantastic' and while yes, a lot will be down to the art style, lets be honest, it won't 'look' amazing.
  • Tonka 6 Oct 2009 11:51:17 20,011 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would like to know why it's a Wii exclusive. Surely it's not to piss on HD owners parade. There must be something else behind the decision. Or is Warren a massive Nintendroid?

• Deleted user 6 October 2009 11:57:34
    Tonka wrote:
    I would like to know why it's a Wii exclusive.
    The winner takes it all, the loser has to fall.
  • CallousB 6 Oct 2009 11:59:47 31 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "I would like to know why it's a Wii exclusive"

Maybe he wants to release it on a machine that doesn't use retro controls?

They may port it to PS3/360 next year when they upgrade to current gen control methods.
  • SirScratchalot 6 Oct 2009 12:12:26 7,872 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:

I'm pretty sure neither component or composite are digital, no?
  • Blerk Moderator 6 Oct 2009 12:17:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I would like to know why it's a Wii exclusive. Surely it's not to piss on HD owners parade. There must be something else behind the decision. Or is Warren a massive Nintendroid?
    I'm guessing it's partly controls, partly install-base - with the Wii perceived generally as the 'family' console and having the largest number of units out there it must've seemed like a no-brainer for them to target the machine specifically when they began this project.

Which was obviously a while back, before everyone realised that third-party games sell like hot dog turds on the Wii. :-)
  • Deleted user 6 October 2009 12:21:23
    Blerk wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    I'm guessing it's partly controls, partly install-base - with the Wii perceived generally as the 'family' console and having the largest number of units out there it must've seemed like a no-brainer for them to target the machine specifically when they began this project.

Which was obviously a while back, before everyone realised that third-party games sell like hot dog turds on the Wii. :-)

But Blerk, thats what I don't get.

While we don't know, this doesn't come across as a 'family' style game. More a dark, evil, hardcore one.

But maybe I'm WAY off the mark..
  • Benraiben2k 6 Oct 2009 12:22:56 246 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    George Roper wrote:
    Isn't that the core problem, though? 99% of Wii shovelware uses the motion "for the sake", not because it actually adds anything worthwhile?

I think what will make the difference is whether this is treated as a AAA game or yet another piece of Wii 'family' shovelware.

Yes, but who is to say this will be shovel-ware, and when motion is used nicely, it's quite good. NyxQuest on Wiiware is a really nice platformer that utilises it well. I am not even a fan of motion myself. People who moan this should be on Xbox also because they could do without the motion things always seem to be forgetting Natal up and coming.

As for the looking shit on Tvs...guess that is your problem depending on the set up. Personally, I've played many a game on bad TVs (older TVs) so I find it hard to critisise TV imagery on most new TVs because even the bad still look good compared to what I've used in the past. HDTvs and so on now seem to ruin things more than anything for most people. "Oh! look! a jaggy there! its ruined the entire experience!". Anyway, my brother does play his Wii through his 40 inch TV and it looks fine. (And it must do cause he is never happy til Tvs look just right).

Audience wise, I wont get in to it if this will "fail", but graphically, people saying this will suck due to the Wii aren't totally correct. You can have the most realistic vast graphics, but if the art style is pants - who cares? As long as the graphics used, music, sounds all manage to conjour up this steam punk fantasy world, I really don't care if it doesn't have 360 graphics. I enjoy NES games, SNES games, Megadrive games, N64 games, PC Engine ones. I swear , all you hear now days is people whining over their HD Tvs, and graphics - or games in general.

We'll see in future if this game is any good however. Let us give it a chance, yes? I am hoping they don't go overboard with motion controls though.
  • Tonka 6 Oct 2009 12:32:47 20,011 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If they don't do something really clever controll wise they'd be better off doing a twin game

• Blerk Moderator 6 Oct 2009 12:34:12 48,225 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Azza12342 wrote:
    But Blerk, thats what I don't get.

While we don't know, this doesn't come across as a 'family' style game. More a dark, evil, hardcore one.

But maybe I'm WAY off the mark..
    Yeah, that doesn't really sit right, I agree - even something Kingdom Hearts-esque is a bit too edgy for the family audience.

Of course, we haven't actually seen it yet. It might be nothing like the concept art.
  • sargulesh 6 Oct 2009 12:57:29 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There are dark, evil, 'hardcore' games on the Wii. It's not unprecedented.
  • Benraiben2k 6 Oct 2009 13:01:41 246 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I don't imagine this to be overly dark, if anything I imagie it to have the same vibe as Kameo for Xbox360 if anything. I can see those robotic concept art pieces walking about in a steam punk fantasy realm without it being too dark.
  • sargulesh 6 Oct 2009 13:03:23 3,281 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Azza12342 wrote:
    The concept art looks 'epic', 'amazing', 'fantastic' and while yes, a lot will be down to the art style, lets be honest, it won't 'look' amazing.

Why won't it look amazing? You are only as good as your imagination: this is as true of fans as it is of developers. The Wii can do decent visuals as long as the developers are honest about it's 'limitations' and play to their imagination's strengths: the stylised visuals of MadWorld, A Boy and His Blob and No More Heroes are great.

"Wii fans" are up in arms for the criticisms because this shit happens in every thread for a Wii game that people think looks good. Instead of just saying oh cool ANOTHER good looking Wii game people say "the Wii has games?"/"this would have been better on PS360". At what point do people start to realise that yes the Wii has games and yes you have been carping about these very same games not being on the HD twins forever and all time. I used to be guilty of it myself (see the Muramasa and TvC threads) so I'm not having a go.

Can we make lord a mod in the Wii section? We could have some comedy 'Gaf style bandowns.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last