Richer Sounds - how to turn a customer away

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • kentmonkey 28 Sep 2009 14:41:18 20,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Can I help you?"
    "Yes I've come in to have a look at the Panasonic 37" Plasma for £399 you have in the window. I can't see it well from the outside though, so can you turn it around"
    "Why Panasonic? Do you have brand loyalty?"
    "Err...no. I just think it's a good TV for the price"
    "What will you be using it for"
    "A bit for watching films and sport, but mainly gaming as.."
    "Well you don't want a Plasma then"
    "Why not?"
    "Well certainly not that one. It'll be awful for motion. You need an LCD, and the LCD will look so much better for games"
    "Err, no. LCD's suffer from judder and motion blur unless you spend hundreds of pounds on one and I notice judder a lot."
    "Not this LG one here"
    "Look I don't want an LCD, especially not a cheap LG one"
    "But it's 1080p"
    "I don't really care. It's 32" and I won't be able to tell much difference at that size, what's most important to me is how it handles motion"
    "Then you want this 42" LG Plasma"
    "But I don't. 42" is too big for the roo.."
    "It's 600hz, which means the action will be twelve times quicker than the Panasonic"
    "Err..no it doesn't. Just because it has a number twelve times larger doesn't mean the action will be twelve times quicker"
    "Yes it does"
    "So when I'm watching the football on Saturday, will I see players running at 70mph then"
    "No, of course not"
    "Then the action won't be twelve times faster then will it"
    "But it is"
    "...so you're not going to turn the Plasma in the window around"
    "It's really not what you need"
    "Bye"

I walked to House of Fraser (of all places) and spoke to a guy in there that amazed me with his knowledge. I wasn't expecting to find somebody of his knowledge in a department store, and he was incredibly patient. Showed me loads of different TV's with different settings and footage (eventually proving to me that actually the 100hz Panasonic LCD TV (L32G10) was a brilliant picture with no noticeable judder, but sadly £300 more than the 37" Plasma) and I'm most likely to go back there again.

I went into Richer about six months ago to look at a Panasonic 32" TV and they tried to sell me an LG then, bad mouthing the Panasonics (that guy actually said "they only get good reviews because they buy the reviewers off" which I'm sure the people at Panasonic would be thrilled to hear) and I don't think I'll ever step into one again. No matter how cheap they are, the service is fucking terrible.
  • caligari 28 Sep 2009 14:44:05 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Check out John Lewis / M&S, KM - either instore or online. I keep seeing excellent well-priced TVs popping up on Hotukdeals from those guys. Free five year warranty, too.

edit: arrgh, bloody typos.
  • Deleted user 28 September 2009 14:44:27
    Never engage in conversation with them.
  • pinkds 28 Sep 2009 14:45:24 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    John Lewis is like this - they do a price match and have equally expectional knowledge. My mum and dad recently bought a running machine, we were in there for 3 hours about the differences between machines. Unbelievable.
  • Alastair 28 Sep 2009 14:46:53 14,952 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting. I've always found John Lewis staff to be pretty knowledgable and helpful in the field of TVs.

I've no real loyalty to Richer SOunds, but I've bought stuff from them in the past and found them to be helpful. Maybe you could forward your post to their head office, or the store manager...

Not as nice as I used to be

• kalel 28 Sep 2009 14:47:18 83,871 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You have to really careful what you buy there as well. They often get slightly different versions of products that are inferior on close inspection, with a sneaky x or s in the model name. I donít know where they get them from as nowhere else seems to stock the special versions that RC get hold of.

Itís a bargain basement so no surprise you donít necessarily get the most expert advice, and stock issues are of key importance to them, so they will push things for no good reason.

Still useful for actual buying, but not advice.

Speaking of which LB, you cant beat Tottenham Court Road for AV stuff in my experience, youíll probably find your telly half price there.

• smoothpete 28 Sep 2009 14:48:25 31,017 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They used to try and push Cambridge Audio stuff at me relentlessly
  • JuanKerr 28 Sep 2009 14:48:42 36,094 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:

"So when I'm watching the football on Saturday, will I see players running at 70mph then"
    "No, of course not"

Did you actually say this? If you did, brilliant!
  • FairgroundTown 28 Sep 2009 14:48:46 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The staff in Richer Sounds are probably on commission. The ones in John Lewis are not; so the latter have no incentive to sell you the wrong product.

(And... I have also been treated like an idiot by the chavs in Richer Sounds.)
  • Deleted user 28 September 2009 14:49:23
    My favourite shop is Rayleigh hi-fi, great customer service there. Don't think they sell Panny stuff though.
  • caligari 28 Sep 2009 14:49:40 16,832 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Doesn't Walcott run at 70mph?
  • pinkds 28 Sep 2009 14:49:54 1,604 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sounds like something Mr Logic would say from Viz
  • Tomo 28 Sep 2009 14:50:36 13,839 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The 'posh' department stores like House of Frasier and John Lewis do tend to actually have pretty good customer service. I've always heard good things about Richer though, so I'm a little surprised by this.
  • smoothpete 28 Sep 2009 14:53:13 31,017 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've asked them whether or not they're on commission before, and they said no, but I take that with a pinch of salt. There must be some kind of bonus scheme or something like that, otherwise why would they push certain products?
  • kalel 28 Sep 2009 14:56:54 83,871 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    I've asked them whether or not they're on commission before, and they said no, but I take that with a pinch of salt. There must be some kind of bonus scheme or something like that, otherwise why would they push certain products?

Yeah, it wonít be a literal commission on such low value items, but that doesnít mean thereís no incentive.

The Cambridge thing is very incestuous. The owner of Richer Sounds has a majority share in Cambridge, itís completely self-serving. They make ok stuff, but nothing amazing.

• Alastair 28 Sep 2009 14:57:52 14,952 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:

"No, of course not"

I would have relented and then followed up with 'Perhaps you mean that the screen updates 12 times faster.'

/is too nice.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Phattso Moderator 28 Sep 2009 14:57:54 12,722 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, Richer Sounds are useful because they price match and they don't really quibble over returns and sort problems pretty quickly. But you don't want to be taking advice from them at all.

My sister wanted a cheap-ish 32" LCD and so she calls me up because I recently bought one and could probably advise. We settled on one of the Samsung 32" LCDs, and Richer Sounds had one in at the right price. So I drive over, pick her up, and we tootle off to our local branch.

They spent five minutes trying to convince me to buy an LG:

Me: "Our requirement is for lots of HDMI ports, because she has lots of HDMI gear. This Samsung has 4 HDMI slots, the LG you're trying to foist on us has 2. Are you actually insane?"

RS Numpty: "But this one does better SD!"

Me: "Two things: it doesn't, this Samsung consistently reviews top of the pile for SD content. Secondly: I just told you she mainly has HD sources anyway."

RS Numpty: "But the speakers are better on this one."

Me: "Not an issue, she has a 5.1 setup. Also, this LG model is nearly £100 more expensive."

RS Numpty: "You get what you pay for - I think you'll regret the Samsung."

Me: "So why do you bother stocking them at all then if they're so bad? Now shut up and sell me the TV I asked for before I cave your stupid fat skull in."

Got to be commission based. :)
  • coastal 28 Sep 2009 15:01:09 5,372 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Send an email in to Richer HQ, Mr Richer reads each one apparently.

bf3: sergeant_shaftoe

• boo 28 Sep 2009 15:01:56 11,604 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    /bathes in the warm glow of John Lewis love

Just Another Lego Blog

• chronom4n 28 Sep 2009 15:02:10 527 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I would more or less agree with the richer sounds thing. One or 2 guys guy I know at the leicester branch are top blokes. But the one thing that pisses me off in their brochures is when they say 'free remote with the TV"
  • X201 28 Sep 2009 15:02:25 14,696 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rauper ought to rent phage out.

We could take him along with us and when salesmen go into waffle mode about why x is better, we just unleash phage on them.

• JohnnyWashnGo 28 Sep 2009 15:02:30 1,544 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to use Richer Sounds a lot back in the 90s when I had a hard-on for audio equipment. Their staff back then were either really clued up on everything or I was just stupid. I haven't used them recently, thanks to the internet, but if that is indicative of the new quality of service, I shall not be using them in the future.
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Sep 2009 15:04:05 12,722 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're curiously overstaffed, too. The branch I went to (Maidstone in Kent) is the size of a shoebox, but it has four permanent staff members that have been there every time I've popped in.
  • kentmonkey 28 Sep 2009 15:04:08 20,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:

"No, of course not"

I did. My wife said afterwards that the look on his face was brilliant. I was actually looking at the TV as I said it so I missed it, but apparently he had a brilliant facial reaction.

Just found out that they sell the TV House of Fraser were doing for £170 cheaper, but I believe HOF price match. I'm still not sure what to do; go for the 37" Panasonic Plasma (only 720p but 100hz) or for the 32" 1080p 100hz Panasonic LCD.

I'm sure other Richer stores don't fare so badly as this one, but I'd never go back to my local again, that's for sure.
  • Hypercube 28 Sep 2009 15:04:46 976 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe I'm lucky, but I've not had any problems with the staff in the Brighton RS.

However - I haven't been in there for years, and I've only bought audio stuff from them (including a Cambridge Audio amp that's great).
  • kentmonkey 28 Sep 2009 15:05:08 20,074 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    They're curiously overstaffed, too. The branch I went to (Maidstone in Kent) is the size of a shoebox, but it has four permanent staff members that have been there every time I've popped in.
    Same store as me. Sounds like we may have had the same person.
  • Phattso Moderator 28 Sep 2009 15:05:50 12,722 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Just found out that they sell the TV House of Fraser were doing for £170 cheaper, but I believe HOF price match. I'm still not sure what to do; go for the 37" Panasonic Plasma (only 720p but 100hz) or for the 32" 1080p 100hz Panasonic LCD.

Not to comment on the models in particular, but two and a half years ago I bought a 32" LCD and really wished I'd gone for the 37" instead. Depends on the size of the room it's going into, of course, but thought I'd mention it anyways.

/basks in glow of new 46" unit bought in the summer ;)
  • jonsaan 28 Sep 2009 15:06:16 25,248 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Richer Sounds have always been staffed by cuntwads. Beware reconditioned gear as well.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 28 September 2009 15:07:40
    I would go to RS for the price but on the basis of this thread and my own experience recently, would never ever ask them for advice ever. I called them to see what sorts of setup I'd need to make my Xbox/LCD setup into a surround sound setup as well as allowing me to delay the audio to match the TV picture. He told me that Onkyo were my best bet (correct) and that he would recommend the model that cost around £500 as it was the cheapest one that allowed me to delay sound.

What a lot of bullshit. I went online and discovered that pretty much every Onkyo does sound delay, including the one £200 cheaper. I object to being treated like a retard. I had a good mind to go in to the shop and point this out to him loudly in full view of all the customers and his manager but couldn't be arsed.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous