The Rolling Stones Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Trafford 24 Sep 2009 11:12:14 5,972 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aftermath is a good early period album.So many hits.
    They could have split up in 1975 and we'd still be having this conversation.
  • wizbob 24 Sep 2009 11:23:05 788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Now might be a good time to link to the republished Lester Bangs review of their live album
  • localnotail 24 Sep 2009 11:30:52 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ahhh Lester Bangs was amazingly good. It's such a shame he died before music got good again.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• billythekid 24 Sep 2009 11:37:15 11,397 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    She's a Rainbow is an awesome song, as is Sympathy for the Devil, Miss You and Angie.
  • wizbob 24 Sep 2009 12:04:13 788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Didn't they find a Human League album on the turntable next to his corpse? That seems a bit grim, not that I've got anything against the Human League.
  • iokthemonkey 24 Sep 2009 12:20:33 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, I was listening to the Sisters of Mercy once, doing their version of Gimme Shelter and my mother knocked on my door, asking if it was the Rolling Stones. I said it was a cover of it and she asked if I liked the Stones. I said they were okay and so she disappeared, returning a few minutes later with a Stones album of hers, which she'd had when she was younger. She earned a lot of cool points that day but now I'm of a similar age, I kind of see that it's not really that strange and - gasp! - your parents were young once, too...

And isn't there an Urban Legend that the woman singing on Gimme Shelter miscarried during the song?

http://that-figures.blogspot.com/

• localnotail 24 Sep 2009 12:26:41 23,093 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wizbob wrote:
    Didn't they find a Human League album on the turntable next to his corpse? That seems a bit grim, not that I've got anything against the Human League.

allegedly - Dare. That's the one with "Don't You Want Me" as the last track. But it's incidental, I think. He had a cold, he took the wrong combination of drugs.

He was clean for a bit before he died, but the music was just getting worse for him, so I think he just thought the party was over, rather than the wave drawing back ready to crash again.

"New Wave has terminated in thudding hollow Xeroxes of poses that aren't even annoying anymore," he wrote. "Rap is nothing, or not enough. Jazz does not exist as a musical form with anything new to say. And the rest of rock is recycling various formulae forever. I don't know what I'm going to write about - music is the only thing in the world I really care about - but I simply cannot pretend to find anything compelling in the choice between pap and mud." (1981, Village Voice)

he was brilliant, I might not agree with him about everything but his writing was unbelievably passionate. I have a collection of his writings (Psychotic Reactions & Carburetor Dung) which I never tire of dipping into. The article he wrote about Jethro Tull in Vietnam is just fantastic. Proper Gonzo.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Lexx87 11 Oct 2009 20:22:37 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So i've myself just discovered the Stones thanks to Guitar Hero, and I look on spotify at the massive number of albums and have no idea where to start.

Where should I start?

Speak the truth hussy!

• funkyd 11 Oct 2009 20:23:22 7,522 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You say it like they're an unknown band ;P
  • billythekid 3 Mar 2011 16:16:04 11,397 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd just like to say that 'Play with Fire' and 'Under my thumb' are two amazing songs.
    Have a listen if you've never heard them, it'd be law if I was PM.

Also, did anybody see Mick performing at the Grammy's the other week? He's still fucking got it! Running about like a madman too!
  • thelzdking 3 Mar 2011 16:20:28 4,413 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Get this.

Then get this.
  • crispyduckman 3 Mar 2011 16:29:00 1,889 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I'd just like to say that 'Play with Fire' and 'Under my thumb' are two amazing songs.
    Have a listen if you've never heard them, it'd be law if I was PM.

Also, did anybody see Mick performing at the Grammy's the other week? He's still fucking got it! Running about like a madman too!
    They've all been replaced my cutting edge cyborgs. These guys were bloody old when I saw them on the awesome Voodoo Lounge tour. That was almost 16 years ago!

PSN/XBL/Steam/Origin: crispyduckman

• billythekid 3 Mar 2011 16:37:07 11,397 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grammy performance
  • Trafford 24 Nov 2012 22:48:06 5,972 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've just watched the second part of Crossfire Hurricane.
    A 2 hour Docu/Montage/concert film of the first 20 years of the Stones.

Really impressive, I'm a big fan of this sort of band footage, this film was quality. The Altomont footage was incredible, really unsettling.
  • Vortex808 25 Nov 2012 00:07:53 7,580 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Only seen the first part so far. Looking forward to part 2.
  • roz123 25 Nov 2012 01:47:40 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New album Grrrr is well worth picking up for new fans and car journeys. It's a 3 CD best of for 12

Edited by roz123 at 02:01:08 25-11-2012
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next