The Witcher 2 Page 2

• Page

of 75 First / Last

• JoeBlade 21 Aug 2010 10:12:26 2,525 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    *bump*

Bloody hell. Watched some video footage from the gamescom last night. It's all filmed off-screen, but it looks incredible. They weren't kidding when they said they had the "best RPG engine" in the world. Makes Dragon Age 2 look like something from yesteryear. O_O
    Blimey, you're right. The videos I've found make the game look pretty awesome indeed.
    I particularly like the hand-to-hand combat; it was purely functional and rather dull in the first game but now it kicks total arse :D

I'm very glad they pulled a "reverse Mass Effect" too (according to the narrator in one of the videos at least) and actually expanded on the inventory, runing and such for the sequel rather that "streamlining" it out.
    Hopefullly combat hasn't become overly complicated though, I quite liked the simplicity and flow of the first one.

Looks very, very promising indeed :)
  • Deleted user 21 August 2010 11:54:04
    This looks ace gents , that's an awesome game engine right there , not to mention the new combat system which seems more action-y...

I'm playing the witcher enhanced edition right now on my compy and the game is still amazing after all these years, the game has some of the best atmosphere i've ever encountered in an RPG , shame for the game engine performance though which seems to struggle at the sight of just 2 light sources/smoke trails etc sometimes, not to mention that the clickety-click combat system is somewhat boring.

What i really wish though for number 2 is for the game to be more open-ended , you know , being able to actually explore the world easier without having to talk to specific NPC's 10 times before said door/gate opens so that you can go explore...

Anyway, the sequel looks superb , have to wonder though how it will fare on the consoles performance-wise as this looks to be a gfx power-house and we all know how some of the most recent PC-centric RPG's turned out on consoles regarding their graphics/engine performance - i'm looking at you Two-worlds/Risen/Dragon age etc...
  • JoeBlade 21 Aug 2010 13:51:20 2,525 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    klem578 wrote:
    What i really wish though for number 2 is for the game to be more open-ended , you know , being able to actually explore the world easier without having to talk to specific NPC's 10 times before said door/gate opens so that you can go explore...
    Hmm, I actually liked the fact that you can't finish the game having seen only 10% of the total available content. Felt like a lot like the dawn of digital RPGs, in a good way.
    The "epic" worlds of Elder Scrolls and the likes are nice enough but, well, that's what we have those games for innit? I for one don't see it as being a mandatory aspect of RPG's and certainly wouldn't mind having a more closed, linear game again.
  • M83J01P97 22 Aug 2010 15:00:28 6,600 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Have I missed some big news here or have the console versions of The Witcher 2 been dropped?

Just been watching the Gamescon walk through videos for this and they keep talking about how their brand new games engine wouldn't run on 'modern' games consoles and they seem to keep suggesting that the PC is the only way to play this game.

• matrim83 22 Aug 2010 15:08:38 5,587 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think right now, PC version is the one they are trying to get out of the door. If it does well I am sure they will try to get a console version out as well. But I wouldnt hold my breath.

I dont think they have the money or resources to work on 3 versions at once.

Valar morghulis.

• M83J01P97 22 Aug 2010 15:13:13 6,600 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmm, for some reason I was under the impression this was going to be a multi-platform game at launch.

Now I'm going to have to think about upgrading my PC to play this... as it's obviously going to be a beast to run.
  • Articulate-Troll 21 Nov 2010 11:31:28 3,101 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deluxe edition available to pre-order on Steam, although they have naughtily omitted the may 2011 released date.
  • pinebear 21 Nov 2010 11:58:49 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You get more if you pre-order via GOG.com, especially if you're paying or : 1 of 5 RPGs on GOG and $6 credit for purchases / $16 if you buy in .

• urban 5 Apr 2011 16:09:24 10,942 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can't get over how astounding the screenshots for this game look. If it plays as good as it looks it'll blow Elder scrolls out of the water.
  • Yossarian 5 Apr 2011 16:28:26 8,401 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are gameplay videos/demonstrations out there.
  • bad09 5 Apr 2011 20:22:17 5,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seeing this bump I've Just been watching some vids on YouTube myself, the graphics, swordplay and fist fighting seem greatly improved over the original.

Can't wait roll on May, got my DRM free GOG.com pre-order down ready for launch. Still only halfway through 1 though so need to get a groove on!
  • pauleyc 14 Apr 2011 15:08:14 4,453 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jim Rossignol posted on RPS his hands-on impressions with the prologue and first chapter (apparently no less than 10 hours of game time).
  • cianchristopher 14 Apr 2011 15:29:20 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It sounds good, but Jim is a little lukewarm.

TBH, a healthy level of scepticism is needed, as this is only CD Projekt's second game (and the first was a flawed gem).

He ran it on max on an i5, 8gb RAM with a GTS250 (which seems to be the equivalent of an ATI 4850). He said it was ~30fps for the most part, dipping to the low 20s in intense scenes. Hopefully my Core2Quad, 4gb RAM and 4870 should be able to get similar performance.

The combat sounds great, though. Very much like Batman: Arkham Asylum, from what I read.
  • Garfy 14 Apr 2011 16:58:46 682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    [link url=http://www.facebook.com/cdprojekt#!/cdprojekt?sk=app_129607037095519]Big Witcher 2 presentation about to start
    [/link]

Edit: Trying to do a link in a hurry :)
  • bad09 14 Apr 2011 17:37:46 5,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice find Garfy!
  • pauleyc 27 Apr 2011 16:22:34 4,453 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The game's gold now. Seems the May 17th release date is still valid.

/is glad he persuaded the Mrs to apply for a 4-day training course in the following week
  • Daeltaja 29 Apr 2011 12:43:49 1,048 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Only two pages on in this thread? Naff Witcher fans, naff!

Anyway, have this preordered in Gamestop.. Managed to resist going for the collectors edition this time. I hear the normal edition comes with nice stuff anyway (and nice packaging mmm)

Such a shame this is sandwiched between Brink and L.A Noire though which I have also on preorder. Where will I find all the time!

Hoping I can run on max settings at an acceptable framerate using an i3 clocked to 4.20ghz, 4gb ram and GTX460..

Almost 2 weeks now.. bring it on!
  • PenguinJim 6 May 2011 13:54:52 5,837 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Premium Edition is now a 21.85 preorder from TheHut using code MAY2
    http://www.thehut.com/games/platforms/pc/the-witcher-2-assassins-of-kings-premium-edition-including-the-finisher-pack/10238956.html

I almost bought it yesterday for 23.85 instead of from gog.com, but that extra two quid and the addition of DLC to the boxed version (in the last 24 hours, wtf?) has just won out for me. Ordered from TheHut.

Oh, they have free International delivery, too, so it's the same price for any country (works out at about US$36).
  • famous_roy 7 May 2011 12:00:13 4,102 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but DAMN! (living world gameplay)

I mean why, why do I have to get a powerful PC? I don't want to do it, they're making me do it.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Daeltaja 7 May 2011 12:19:43 1,048 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That does look sensational. The more I see of this, the more excited I become. I expect very positive reviews for this!
  • silentbob 7 May 2011 12:30:10 28,958 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Both Lou and I have pretty much explicitly upgraded for this title (and of course the many others that are following this year).

I think it's likely to be something pretty special.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• BeheretiK 7 May 2011 12:35:00 883 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Both Lou and I have pretty much explicitly upgraded for this title (and of course the many others that are following this year).

I think it's likely to be something pretty special.

Well, I decided to build a new pc (first one in years) in a big part for the release of Witcher 2. Can't wait to play it in all its glory. That video just looks amazing...

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• Garfy 7 May 2011 12:46:51 682 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This, Deus Ex 3, Skyrim and even X Rebirth (I dread to think how much power that beast will require).

I need more power dammit, more power!
  • dsmx 7 May 2011 12:48:35 7,589 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I cannae do it captin, I Dont have the POWER.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• bad09 7 May 2011 15:53:24 5,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That living world trailer is beautiful!

What a bastard time for my motherboard to die. Still I am only buying at launch to fully support CD Projekt, won't actually play it until I've finished the first Witcher, Crysis 2 and Bully.
  • Genji 8 May 2011 02:11:37 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Looks nice, but if it won't play on this laptop, I'm going to have to wait a bit. I can play the first Witcher on max settings, but this looks quite a bit prettier.
  • Clive_Dunn 8 May 2011 06:44:51 4,778 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Very much looking forward to this, fingers crossed the PC is powerful enough to run it ( Q6600, 4870 ).
  • THFourteen 8 May 2011 08:27:58 33,265 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    famous_roy wrote:
    Not sure if this has been posted yet but DAMN! (living world gameplay)

I mean why, why do I have to get a powerful PC? I don't want to do it, they're making me do it.

Just started playing the witcher for the first time and loving it.

However didn't see anything in that triailer that's new? The people already go to sleep after a certain time, and they mess around doing stuff during the day.

Also am I the only person who finds npcs constantly changing location to be really irritating!?
  • Genji 8 May 2011 08:31:35 19,689 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, there is already a "living world" in the first game. It looks like this is just an extension of that, with NPCs actually *doing* their jobs instead of just standing around.

It is a bit annoying trying to find some NPCs, but I guess that's the price you pay for this kind of immersion. Maybe if the map had an NPC tracker, it could suit both worlds.
  • Page

of 75 First / Last