Minecraft Page 5

• Page

of 124 First / Last

• Tabasco 8 Sep 2010 17:56:43 5,780 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ouch! Are you going to rough it for a few day/night cycles are try and find your spot again? If this is an issue that isn't sorted then the devs may need to add a respawn beacon you can place anywhere you want or something similar.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2010 18:08:16 36,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not looking for it. I've just started again. Sigh.

It's a shame, I had turned this hill into a proper fortified base, with mulitple exits and a large mine undernearth.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Jetset_UK 8 Sep 2010 18:23:24 3,535 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What do you do with all the stone and dirt you mine, just dump it somewhere?
  • magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 19:29:17 13,006 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Build chests and store it, you never know when you want build an underground Tree farm or Wheat Farm.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2010 19:32:48 36,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stone I use. Gravel and dirt is handy for filling in watery areas or places that have gone BOOM thanks to creepers.

I totally called it.

• Deleted user 8 September 2010 20:01:47
    During the day I'm trying to build a massive tower up to the clouds, during the night I'm busy mining to the centre of the Earth so that I can find some decent materials and then get rid of those I don't need. Did almost flood the entire thing at one point :p
  • Tabasco 8 Sep 2010 20:07:12 5,780 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Note to self -

Do NOT dig on the tile you are standing when trying to dig a mine. Cracked a stone open and fell into a massive cavern almost to my death, totally shat myself! Was almost completely dark and had to use some blocks to get back up...all the while hearing things in the dark. \o/

This game gives me joy,pleasure and terrified all at the same time \o/
  • Dirtbox 8 Sep 2010 20:13:59 76,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DDevil wrote:
    Yeah, FWIW if it did work then it's placed me in some unrecognisable area of the map far away from where I was. Shame.
    I have a tip for this, when you set up camp, clomp up whatever mountain is nearby and build a tall tower, you'll be able to see it from quite far away.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 20:29:52 13,006 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Home made Lamp posts help for exploring. 2 blocks of stone and a block of tree trunk on top. Set fire to the top of the wood block with a flint tool and it burns indefinitely. You may need to build some temporary gravel steps so you can get the top of the wood block though.

Set them up on top of nearby hills as well and you can go quite far without getting lost.
  • f00b_inc 8 Sep 2010 20:38:16 678 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooo... I'll cave in to curiousity!

I just dug a really deep hole... Looks like Singleplayer is a sort of free play mode? I will have a look at the MP bit. Maybe that will explain why everyone is legging it from dangerous creeper things?!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2010 21:09:38 36,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kinda glad I had to start again now. I was starved for ore and coal last time, whereas this time I've found plenty of iron. No gold yet though.

Having said that, I tunnelled into what I thought was a mountain only to come out into a green and pleasant valley, enclosed on all 4 sides. I'm trying to plant as many torches around it (as it is fairly big) so baddies won't spawn in there and I can have it as a place where I can safely mine and hunt pigs, chickens and cows.

So there I am, walking around the edge, following this flowing river up hill to where a waterfall is coming out of the side of the sheer rock face. Past the waterfall I drop down to find myself in the mouth of a HUGE cave. Pitch black inside I go down to take a look, lighting the way back, and it opens up for what seems forever once I get down. I can see coal, gold and iron.

Then I hear the skeletons and zombies, I turn around and see 3 of them, I turn around to head back up and there's a 4th. I climb out as quick as possible to find the sun is nearly completely gone. So I clamber up and destroy the 2 dirt blocks stopping the waterfall going down that side of the hill and flood the cave, taking the zombies with it.

So now I have a river flowing right into the dark, where unknown enemies and riches may reside. I might take a boat down those rapids later :-)

I totally called it.

• Deleted user 8 September 2010 21:13:08
    I had a nice barbecue on top of my giant tower that is now way above the clouds. The pork was lovely.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2010 21:16:19 36,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    f00b_inc wrote:
    Ooo... I'll cave in to curiousity!

I just dug a really deep hole... Looks like Singleplayer is a sort of free play mode? I will have a look at the MP bit. Maybe that will explain why everyone is legging it from dangerous creeper things?!
    I think we're all playing the SP alpha mode at the moment as we don't have a server.

Imagine the free game, only instead of just building freely with no restriction you have to make tools to dig, spades, axes, pickaxes and hoes. You build a crafting table to build bigger objects, and a furnace to smelt ores and cook food.

Then, when the sun goes down the zombies come out. At first your only hope is to make a base with a nice sturdy door before hand. Then as you make better weapons and armour you start to go further... Make your base bigger - build a second outpost and then just build and build and build.

I totally called it.

• Jeepers 8 Sep 2010 21:39:34 13,158 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I *need* MP Survival with some EG people.

This game is dangerously compulsive - I've just finished my 'bridge across the map', so can now trot from one area to another whether it's day or night. Makes life a lot less stressful!

I celebrated the completion of my bridge by building a wooden home that hangs above a valley, with views of the sea, hills and my beautiful, beautiful bridge. I even lined the floor with cloth so I wouldn't be upset by the sound of my footsteps.

/needs to get a life, sharpish
  • Jeepers 8 Sep 2010 21:42:40 13,158 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This was linked off the video DDevil posted; I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry..!
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 8 Sep 2010 21:49:21 36,275 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    This was linked off the video DDevil posted; I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry..!
    Fuck. Right. Off.

Mind you, that appears to have been done in MP free play. So no need to mine for materials.

I totally called it.

• magicpanda 8 Sep 2010 22:20:03 13,006 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lava is very very dangerous underground.
  • PiD 8 Sep 2010 22:55:14 3,566 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's a few tools as well that allow you to edit inventory if you're doing large scale building projects, since mining for them would be a total ball ache..

Still working on procuring a server for us, can't use any of the in house ones since they're either in use or broken ;) But i've been promised one after the expo \o/

Also, new friday update this friday, woo! It's been weeks since he did one.
  • Tiger_Walts 8 Sep 2010 22:57:29 16,516 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    When mining deep into numerous caverns, finding the way out can be a little tricky. My top tip is to use torches as a breadcrumb trail. As you dig down, only place torches on the right-hand side of your tunnels or caverns. When breaking into large caverns, mark that entrance with two torches together. When it's time to get back out, follow tunnels with torches on the left-hand side and in caverns look for the double torches.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Jeepers 8 Sep 2010 22:59:32 13,158 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've just started a new island to mess around with - this one has one enormous, sheer-faced cliff, rising to a fraction below cloud level so I've taken up residence at the very top.

It just struck me that being able to craft sticks and feathers to make an Icarus-style glider would be perfect. It wouldn't have to be particularly realistic - just a Pilot Wings type approach would be perfect.

If not, at least give us Cloth-and-String parachutes :)
  • PiD 8 Sep 2010 23:01:50 3,566 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For any builders/explorers check out Cartograph. It'll map your current infdev (alpha) map, it's quite cool seeing how much you've explored :)
  • Dirtbox 8 Sep 2010 23:05:29 76,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I hope the torches don't degrade!

• PiD 8 Sep 2010 23:07:55 3,566 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah they don't, he did that in one of the changes but it was such a horrible idea that it quickly reverted :D
  • Whizzo 8 Sep 2010 23:12:04 42,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wish it would stop bloody snowing in my world!

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 8 September 2010 23:12:17
    So at what point is someone here going to recreate the Doom levels in this? The art style is perfect for it.
  • Dirtbox 8 Sep 2010 23:24:07 76,327 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJuwE_3A01k

• Deleted user 8 September 2010 23:52:52
    Heh. That's awesome.
  • Tabasco 9 Sep 2010 08:06:37 5,780 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    I wish it would stop bloody snowing in my world!

I'm not a fan of snow in this either. My first two games were both snow levels, quit pretty sharpish on both...
  • Whizzo 9 Sep 2010 09:11:57 42,758 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Torches help a lot when you're on Hoth, plonking them down melts the snow and allows you to created irrigation for crops, does the weather ever change or is it always going to be snowy? If it doesn't I think I may up sticks and ditch this one.

I did enjoy creating my own Mont Blanc Tunnel through a nearby mountain last night, I'm not sure why I enjoyed it so much but it felt like achieved something, even though I didn't.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Destria 9 Sep 2010 09:26:01 2,815 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Localised weather is going to be added in a future update. So parts of the world will be chilly, and parts sunny.
  • Page

of 124 First / Last