The Walking Dead - TV series (US pace) Page 76

• Page

of 104 First / Last

• Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 03:14:29 6,952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What I have in this thread are my honest opinions about what is good about the show, and what is not so good about it. That goes for pretty much anyone here. If you bothered to look more than a couple of pages back, you might notice that many people here (including myself) actually really liked the episode from a few weeks back where Rick goes back to his home town. It's not all negative, far from it.

Reactions to more recent episodes have been more mixed. I liked the latest one on the whole, others agreed, and others didn't. But the opinions are usually well thought-out and honest.

If you disagree, why don't you write something that explains what you like about the episodes, and where you're coming from? Seems a more productive option than dropping from out of the blue to tell people to fuck off.
  • Scimarad 22 Mar 2013 06:18:21 8,530 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am slightly bemused by how negative everyone is being (should be used to it by now!) but on the other hand I'm not as invested in this series and the source material as a lot of other people so obviously are.

To me it's just 'Oh, Walking Dead is on...that was alright, what's on next?' and then I look into this thread and everybody is going 'That episode was the worst piece of TV ever made!!!'

Er...okay, then. Sorry for asking!
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 08:03:28 6,952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, I don't agree with most of that stuff. But it's not like you have to. Everyone is welcome!
  • Tonka 22 Mar 2013 09:23:24 20,010 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It is a terribly uneven show though. It has some cracker episodes that gives me the "BEST SHOW EVER" vibe and then it just runs nose first into a wall.

I've resigned mentally and no longer expect "The Wire" level goodness from it and therefore an action oriented filler episode like last weeks doesn't disappoint. I'm just grateful that there's a zombie apocalypse TV series on. 25 years ago when I got into the genre (post apocalypse in general) that would have been unheard of.

I'm not saying STFU and stop whining btw. There have been some dire episodes (and most of season 2 was really crap) but on the whole I think its good enetertainment.

I would like to see more Michone/Andrea flashbacks though.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2013 22:39:59 6,952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I would like to see flashbacks of Andrea dying, accompanied by the reveal that present day Andrea is just a figment of everyone's imagination.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:11:41 14,057 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I didn't like Andrea's decisions once inside the factory or whatever it was...Surely if you're going up against a half blind man who keeps giving away his location your objective is going out the way you came in without being heard?

After that, check up on the Guv's car...He might have left the keys or a gun or something...At the very least pierce the tires with your knife...
    Remember the whole purpose was that the factory was meant to be dark (but light enough for us to see). Especially when you don't know where you're going, its pretty doubtful anyone would be able to trace their steps back.
    And I doubt slashing the tire would be on the mind of anyone when you're damned convinced you've effectively left him for dead with dozens of zombies trapped in a factory.

can't explain not using the car though, or attempting to (of course one could also use pubic and say he expected such an opportunity and took the keys with him).
  • Khanivor 22 Mar 2013 23:12:10 40,379 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The first half of this season was fucking amazing and had one of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. Only mentally could have expected that level to be miaintained. Sure, there are things to complain about but I still think the show is gripping, well plotted and developing.

So many of the things people whined about last season were addressed in this season. Guess what. People are still whining.

Y'all entitled to your opinions but you're not entitled to the TV show being made to fit your precise desires.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:17:49 14,057 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sajasanman wrote:
    GuiltySpark wrote:
    Yeah, the show and the comic should and is about humanity. It's just sad that there is barely anything resembling a human in this show.
    Stuff like this, oh do fuck off. This thread is depressingly and unrealistically critical.
    Thought it was just me.
    Just seems like over-the-top criticism in here.
    Even when they can't do things, such as having a large impenetrable prison due to the obvious costs, that isn't even taken into account.

If Andrea went through that entire field without a single zombie confrontation, this place would be filled with "WTF? How unrealistic for her to not come across a zombie."
  • graysonavich 22 Mar 2013 23:18:23 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Andrea and Westbery are dragging on and people are bored of it. Nothing to shit the bed over.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:24:36 14,057 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    The first half of this season was fucking amazing and had one of the best episodes of any TV show I've ever seen. Only mentally could have expected that level to be miaintained. Sure, there are things to complain about but I still think the show is gripping, well plotted and developing.

So many of the things people whined about last season were addressed in this season. Guess what. People are still whining.

Y'all entitled to your opinions but you're not entitled to the TV show being made to fit your precise desires.
    This pretty much.
    2nd half of season 3 only started a few weeks ago, and in that there have been some excellent episodes. But you would think the 2nd half was like the first half of season 2, or something, just because some episodes simply can't match the super heights of some awesome episodes.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Mar 2013 23:28:12 14,057 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Andrea and Westbery are dragging on and people are bored of it. Nothing to shit the bed over.
    Hmm, an entire Season which is meant to be based on the prison and Westbury is already "dragging on a bit"? Attention span that short?
    And yeah, Andrea is shite, but to moan about her in the only episode where she actually used her head and made the right decisions, and yet people are still finding something to moan about.
  • stryker1121 22 Mar 2013 23:52:45 665 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The season started off fairly well, but the most important plotline - the Woodbury/Gov stuff- has been mishandled. The Gov is not a strong enough character, he should have been portrayed as a pure psycho right from the rip, or maybe a Jim Jones type who's got the entire town in his thrall, and completely turns Andrea against the prison group. None of this wishy-washy crap and unclear motivations.
  • neilka 23 Mar 2013 00:03:30 15,641 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't see that coming
  • Mola_Ram 23 Mar 2013 02:22:52 6,952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I could note the irony of people whose only contribution to this thread is to come in from time to time to moan about people moaning too much.

But yes, it has been over the top on occasion. Some people have said things like the latest episode was the worst thing they've ever seen, which begs the question of why they're still watching.

But the better way to redress that is to come in, politely disagree, and point out things you like about the episodes. As many of us were doing with Clear. Which was legitimately great, and I hope a sign of things to come.
  • Gambit1977 23 Mar 2013 17:38:39 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's WOODbury!! Not Westbury!
    ;-)
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Mar 2013 17:42:51 14,057 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Gambit1977 Its the bloody autocorrect.

Edit. Argh, it even changes autocorrect to WordPerfect.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 17:43:42 23-03-2013
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Mar 2013 17:48:45 14,057 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    yes, it has been over the top on occasion. Some people have said things like the latest episode was the worst thing they've ever seen, which begs the question of why they're still watching.
    Its those comments I have issue with. The measured criticisms are fine and the ones I don't mind, but the whole "THIS SHOW IS ONE OF THE MOST TERRIBLY INCONSISTENT SHOWS EVER. I can't be bothered to watch anymore (yet they will). I mean, why didn't Andrea boobytrap the entire warehouse and cut the brakes of the governor's car?" kind of comment just gets tedious. It was tiring even in the boring season 2, but this season, barring a few episodes has been largely excellent.
  • Gambit1977 23 Mar 2013 18:58:13 9,583 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder :lol: bring back tapping each letter individually!
  • GuiltySpark 23 Mar 2013 19:18:24 6,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The reason why I am critical of the show is because I like it. I also like the comic, but I'm aware that the show should be its own entity.

Now with that said, there's the problem of roughly following a storyline that's already been written, but picking bits and pieces from it, and generally making it worse. Now that is all a matter of taste, but the bits and pieces approach is making motives nowhere near as strong, which makes the characters not as strong.

The show IS heavily inconsistent. If it was shit rather than inconsistent, then there would be only be two people in this thread. It's the same with anything.

I swear I've written this a lot. People will moan when the show doesn't meet its potential, or does something that actively takes you out of the show.

There was huge potential in the concept of the Rick/Governor sitting down episode. There really was, but the problem was the execution. It was a boring episode, the two guys don't seem to really give a fuck about each other at all. It wasn't tense in the slightest, even with the knowledge of the gun under the table. The outside stuff, with the guys bonding, seemed way too forced as a juxtaposition to what was happening in the factory.

So, a solid 7/10 for that episode.

Also, you need to understand that some people like discussing the show critically, not just circle jerking.

Edited by GuiltySpark at 19:18:41 23-03-2013

Edited by GuiltySpark at 19:20:12 23-03-2013

Get bent.

• graysonavich 23 Mar 2013 19:36:24 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Attention span that short?
    Nothing to do with attention span, it's about knowing when a story arc is just meandering to flesh out some episodes and cliffhanger trailers.

You're allowed to comment on downswings in quality, it's not the end of the world.
  • GuiltySpark 23 Mar 2013 19:45:56 6,320 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Meandering is definitely the right word. We know that the season finale will be an attack on the prison. It's obvious. So unfortunately everything up until that point seems somewhat irrelevant.

Get bent.

• Mola_Ram 25 Mar 2013 13:59:41 6,952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So, the new episode. In the interests of balance, good points and bad:

Good
    -The bits with Merle. Him drinking in the car, his little conversations with Carol, Michionne, Daryl, and above all the genius of that attack at the end. Sure, it didn't work out (and seriously, wtf @ the Governor being able to dismantle a military-trained man so easily), but it was a great plan, and a great scene.

I kind of wanted to see Merle get developed a bit more and maybe somehow fit into the group, but I guess his story had run its course

-Just in general the scenes involving characters that are separated from the group and going off doing their own thing. The show is much better with episodes that only focus on a few characters

Not-so-good
    -Rick. While I liked the conclusion of the "let's give Michionne to the Governor" story with Merle's attack, the fact that Rick was even considering handing her over in the first place beggars belief, and screams "we are killing time here until the finale". Just two weeks ago he seemed to be mostly against the idea. Now magically at the start of the episode he is for it. Then against it again.

Forget the morality of it. The fact of the matter is that Rick is placing trust in someone that he has no reason to trust, and every reason not to trust. And this is after rejecting Tyreese earlier in the season, who is basically a black Jesus. The dithering around does not make sense for him and, again, makes it feel like these episodes are just filling in time until the finale.

Rick made his first good decision in a long time at the end, where he decided that he doesn't get to make decisions anymore. Thank fuck.
  • gman7714 25 Mar 2013 22:42:57 281 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah a cracking episode. I didn't expect to see Merle go out like that and like Mola think it would of been nice to see him fit into the group a bit more.

I thought Rick's part in this episode made sense, tussling with morality. I can see their being a cliff hanger with regards to Michonne and Rick next week.
  • graysonavich 25 Mar 2013 22:54:21 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago

Some amazing cosplay
  • Mola_Ram 25 Mar 2013 23:07:22 6,952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    As I said, forget the morality of it. Forget that Michionne has saved Rick and Carl more than once, is now pretty much a part of the group, and that leaving her in the hands of a psychopath who will slowly torture her to death (not to mention one that has killed/tortured/almost raped other members of his group) is the very definition of immoral.

The worst thing is that he's trusting the Governor to keep his word, and just leave them alone once he gets what he wants. There is literally no basis for trust here, as everything Rick knows about the guy indicates that he is a monster.

Anyway, don't want to focus on it so much, because I did like the episode overall. But the first 10 minutes or so were quite dumb.

EDIT: that cosplay :D

Edited by Mola_Ram at 23:08:04 25-03-2013
  • gman7714 25 Mar 2013 23:22:00 281 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Goodfella

Yeah Michonne rocks, but if there is going to be a face off there is only ever going to be one winner... but in reality we all know Michonne would fuck Rick up :)
  • AcidSnake 25 Mar 2013 23:33:54 7,214 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @The-Bodybuilder:
    Hope I didn't give the impression of being a whiner or something with my remarks about the car and factory, I really like the show!

Some little glitches in writing and character actions occur sporadically , but it's still entertaining...

Too bad about who we lost this week as I quite liked that character...Though I did for one moment imagine Daryll keeping him as a surprise and we'd end the season with zombie Merle eating the Governors other eye...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Page

of 104 First / Last