Ridley Scott's Prometheus (spoilers within) Page 106

• Page

of 116 First / Last

• ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 14:09:39 76,499 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No film in the history of ever has accurately represented science. Prometheus is no worse than anything else. I miss when people could just watch Independence Day and enjoy it for the action romp that it was, instead of bitching about how shitty the film was because Jeff Goldblum hacked an alien spaceship with an apple mac.
  • onestepfromlost 16 Feb 2013 14:11:00 2,039 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    yeah i would think first encounters with a new creature would be generally err on the side of caution, not poke it in the face (or what might be its face)
  • Khanivor 16 Feb 2013 14:12:01 40,388 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's accurately recreatining it and there's doing the opposite. The latter is what Prometheus does after setting itself out as a voyage of scientific discovery. I mean, that's only what the film is based on.
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 14:13:06 592 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @onestepfromlost

i'm not so sure history would back your statement up, especially if the new creature is less advanced.
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 14:14:33 592 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Khanivor

it was not a voyage of discovery. it was a mission to grant immortality to one man, or did i miss something?
  • Mola_Ram 16 Feb 2013 14:15:11 6,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, Independence Day is a bit different. It doesn't have any pretentions of being a serious movie, while Prometheus does. You expect silly things to happen in ID4.

So I can see why people can find the silly things in Prometheus to be somewhat jarring (even if they didn't affect my enjoyment so much). It's similar to the sort of reaction I had to The Dark Knight Rises.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Feb 2013 14:21:29 37,344 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Khanivor 16 Feb 2013 14:22:53 40,388 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    riceNpea wrote:
    @Khanivor

it was not a voyage of discovery. it was a mission to grant immortality to one man, or did i miss something?
    Yes, the first hour and a half of the movie, apparently. Unless you wish to argue that the entire crew suspected the true purpose of the mission and decided to act with all the seriousness and rigor of a group of special needs kids on a day to the fun park.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Feb 2013 14:23:15 6,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, as I said, they didn't really take me out of the film.

The only one that did was right at the end, when I was actually saying "run to the side, OH MY GOD RUN TO THE SIDE YOU IDIOTS" out loud in the cinema.
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 14:26:47 76,499 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    Stroking a fucked off cobra-thing is not the same as examining a weird egg whilst wearing a protective helmet. Your instincts would tell you that the cobra may bite, but you wouldn't be assuming that a creature was going to fly out of the egg and attach itself to your helmet, dissolve the glass with acid and then impregnate you via your throat.
    But didn't the dude in Prometheus have his helmet and protective gear on? You could easily say his instincts wouldn't tell him a small snake like creature would attach itself to his arm in the blink of an eye, snap it with the strength of a gorilla, then smash through his helmet and force its way down his throat. Maybe he should have watched the first two Alien movies before agreeing to this mission. With the protective equipment he was wearing you'd think he'd be okay to take a closer look.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Feb 2013 14:28:43 6,962 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah, he really should have learned his lesson from the movies that took place after this one.
  • Khanivor 16 Feb 2013 14:34:37 40,388 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are we forgetting this was the guy who was too terrified to walk with the rest of the crew into the main chamber? Who preferred to head back to the ship with his ginger mate? Only after they got totally lost in the temple of death did they find the spooky chamber full of mystery pots that had liquid rise from nowhere and a snake critter which was apparently the most welcoming and cute thing he'd ever seen. Let's stroke it!

Fucking hell.

Edited by Khanivor at 14:34:57 16-02-2013
  • Steve_Perry 16 Feb 2013 14:39:28 3,578 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    McGeeza wrote:
    Stroking a fucked off cobra-thing is not the same as examining a weird egg whilst wearing a protective helmet. Your instincts would tell you that the cobra may bite, but you wouldn't be assuming that a creature was going to fly out of the egg and attach itself to your helmet, dissolve the glass with acid and then impregnate you via your throat.
    But didn't the dude in Prometheus have his helmet and protective gear on? You could easily say his instincts wouldn't tell him a small snake like creature would attach itself to his arm in the blink of an eye, snap it with the strength of a gorilla, then smash through his helmet and force its way down his throat.
    Its not even that. He spends the whole time pissing his pants scared and then all of a sudden he is Sir David Frederick Attenborough. How does that make sense? How does anything in the movie make sense? I won't make a list, but its fairly easy to make the argument that it was a bad film.

Its got 2 things going for it. It looks amazing, and Fassbender.

In terms of storytelling, which is basically what going to the cinema is all about, its right up there with Alien Resurrection.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• MrTomFTW Moderator 16 Feb 2013 14:40:36 37,344 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Plus they were on some planet far off into space, encountering alien life for the very first time. You'd think he would show some caution instead of Steve Irwining himself off this mortal coil.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 14:42:53 592 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    riceNpea wrote:
    @Khanivor

Yes, the first hour and a half of the movie, apparently. Unless you wish to argue that the entire crew suspected the true purpose of the mission and decided to act with all the seriousness and rigor of a group of special needs kids on a day to the fun park.
    no. the mission was always to get the bloke from Neighbours to the Engineer to grant him eternal life. the scientific voyage bollocks was subterfuge.

as for the crew, well, why they had to behave like a band of hormonal teenagers instead of the serious, experienced professionals you'd expect to be selected for a mission of such importance (the pretence of scientific discovery) really made me spit feathers.

and why-oh-why-oh-why did those 2 numb-nuts insist on going back to the ship alone without knowing the way back, in a hostile environment, get lost and then set fit to play pat-a-cake with an unknown life-form. you're a fucking scientist! behave like one!!!
  • ecureuil 16 Feb 2013 14:48:12 76,499 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He encounters life on the ship earlier in the film, there's a scene with him examining worms in the soil. So yeah, that's what he was there for. The scene was cut from the film.

It's not so implausible that he's scared of ghosts and corpses but somewhat more comfortable with creatures, especially when in a heavy spacesuit. It's not the massive issue people are making it out to be.
  • Khanivor 16 Feb 2013 14:59:09 40,388 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Those suits weren't even pressure suits. Not what I'd call a set of armour.

At the end of the day, we shouldn't have to try and make excuses for retarded behaviour from characters in a film that set itself up to be intelligent. The creative team done fucked up.
  • riceNpea 16 Feb 2013 15:08:36 592 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ecureuil

the scientist's behaviour, that we were privy to because it was included in the film, was totally at odds with what any Joe Bloggs would expect from a higly trained and experienced biologist. i'm pretty sure though i'm no expert that when faced with an unknown alien life form offering it a biscuit and high fiving it isn't the prime directive.

i felt that it was a huge issue as i found anything those 2 clowns did hard to believe.

why couldn't it have been more like the crew of the original Alien film, the crew on the Nostromo? there were no hysterical, reactionary fools on that crew. the totally reflected what i would've expected from a team of highly professional interstellar scientist and engineers.

edit: i'll tell you why, because audiences now aren't mature enough to deal with that. it's dumbing down to the lowest common denominator to appeal to the tweens that lap-up excrement like Twilight. it's why McClane behave like an arse in the new Die Hard instead of the charming, witty everyman he originally was.

Edited by riceNpea at 15:11:34 16-02-2013

Edited by riceNpea at 15:11:58 16-02-2013
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2013 15:13:22 17,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's not the massive issue people are making it out to be.
    It isn't, but there are dozens of non-sensical moments in the film that add up to a non-sensical film. Do you want a list? Why not go back 50 or 60 pages or whatever and find them for yourself.

Edited by Bremenacht at 15:18:41 16-02-2013
  • Trowel 16 Feb 2013 15:16:08 17,431 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The main problem with the biologist wasn't that he stroked the snake, which was nothing but a movie moment to prompt the "WTF are you doing?" in all of us, as you see in 95% of horror-oriented films.

The main problem was that he decided he wanted to leave when they encountered the first engineer.
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2013 15:16:20 17,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh, and no matter how daft ID was, it set its own 'rules' and then followed them. Prometheus just kept setting things up to break all the way through, just like the writer did in Lost. Here's #1:

1. Prometheus is not an 'Alien' film.
  • Khanivor 16 Feb 2013 15:16:58 40,388 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The crew of the Nostromo, who were the equivalent of merchant seamen, reacted with more rationality and professionalism than the cream of Earth's scientists.

It was just really, really bad writing. There's no excuse for it. There was no reason it should have been shot as it was either because it wouldn't take but a few moments to rewrite certain scenes so they do not ruin the film.

Sorry to say it, but the actions of the cast in AvP 2 were a lot more believable than those in Prometheus. As poor as that film may be it is a good bit better than this one, with any advantages Prometheus may have coming solely from the talents of the art designers and technical teams. In other words, from having a $200 million budget.
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2013 15:17:39 17,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    The main problem was that he decided he wanted to leave when they encountered the first engineer.
    No bother though - he left in th company of the guy who does maps. Safe!
  • sega 16 Feb 2013 16:03:45 762 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well we're assuming here that a reaction you'd consider stupid is a bad thing in a film. Characters do stupid things in every single film, so it just boggles my mind why Prometheus gets singled out for it.

Take, for example, scenes in films (and I see this a lot) when someone is having a conversation whilst walking backwards into a road only to then get hit by a car/bus. That has to be one of the stupidest things a person can do, yet happens a lot in film and TV. You can't say that's a rational thing - people know roads are dangerous (definitely more than they know any alien life form is) so why would someone walk backwards into one without looking? Likewise, it's dangerous and stupid for someone in a horror film to run up the stairs when they should be going for the front door. Stupid decisions are what drive the plot.

riceNpea wrote:
    why couldn't it have been more like the crew of the original Alien film, the crew on the Nostromo? there were no hysterical, reactionary fools on that crew. the totally reflected what i would've expected from a team of highly professional interstellar scientist and engineers.
    Like Lambert? She wanted to draw straws, meaning she'd have a one in four chance of being left alone on the ship to die with the creature whilst the others escaped. Not good odds and pretty irrational suggestion.

There's also Hudson in Aliens. A complete coward who was also able to show moments of bravery.
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2013 16:21:59 17,613 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People doing stupid things is plausible. People repeatedly doing implausible things is just stupid.
  • sega 16 Feb 2013 16:22:02 762 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've seen it in a few films:

• McGeeza 16 Feb 2013 16:23:39 928 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes. It is annoying when people do dumb things in any movie. That doesn't make prometheus any less shit though i'm afraid. Keep trying.
  • Page

of 116 First / Last