That's my worthless list of favourites.

Edited by Steve_Perry at 17:28:06 08-10-2012

VIVA STEFANSEN

• bad09 8 Oct 2012 17:29:21 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Hyperbole much?
    Nope sitting through Prometheus and seeing what they've done to the mystery of the bone ship has completely ruined that element of aliens now and I'll just laugh every time I see that part of Alien now thinking of this incoherent turd.
  • AcidSnake 8 Oct 2012 17:33:16 7,213 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree with Steve Perry's list there, though Alien and Aliens are both best...Different genres I'd say...

I'm not putting Prometheus into canon in my head...And unless it has a radical director's cut or very good sequels it won't get in there...I'll consider it a (beautiful/well funded) fanfic...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• BinaryBob101 8 Oct 2012 17:41:51 22,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thread has gone full-on retard.

Beautiful tender beings.

• ecureuil 8 Oct 2012 17:46:14 76,479 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but there was some good stuff in there. Good scenes, well acted from almost everyone, great visuals and sense of environment, some interesting themes, and the overarching story was decent. The problems were all little things really, it's just that there were a lot of them. It asks you to hold your suspension of disbelief quite a few too many times. Feel quite sorry for people who think this is the worst thing ever. At least it's not full of product placement and obvious attempts to appeal to certain demographics, or fake-looking CGI. It's a proper film that got a few things wrong.
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 17:49:44 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't wait to see it. I'm going in expecting a nice-looking train wreck and I'm not necessarily disappointed about that.

That's Hollywood these days.
  • El_MUERkO 8 Oct 2012 18:08:22 16,948 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1) Aliens

2) Alien

3) LALALALALALLALALALALA *fingers in ears* LALALALALLALALLALALA
  • Steve_Perry 8 Oct 2012 18:10:07 3,499 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sad but true ronuds. I was stupidly hyped for this, and while its not really awful, its just not that good either.

More fool me.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Steve_Perry 8 Oct 2012 18:13:54 3,499 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's the fucking bollocks visually though. Saw it in 3d at the cinema and I felt I'd got my moneys worth from the nature documentary style first 20 minutes. Best looking movie I've seen. Bar the bloke from the watchmen. He was wank.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• ecureuil 8 Oct 2012 18:15:55 76,479 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm just amazed that guy at the start was in a costume. I really thought it was CGI.
  • CosmicFuzz 8 Oct 2012 18:23:51 23,084 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You lot are ridiculous sometimes. It's a bit of a mess in places for sure, but it's better than most stuff out there and far from the worst film in the Alien series. Just because you don't like the explanation of the engineers doesn't mean Alien is a worse movie.

Is anyone else getting a bit bored with remastered games? Read my thoughts!

• CharlieStCloud 8 Oct 2012 18:30:02 5,016 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I gave this film a fairly respectable 6/10 in the 'rate the last film you watched' thread when Prometheus was showing at the cinema.

Now, however, after seeing all of the Alien films (on Blu-ray) since then, I still kind of stand by my score, but the biggest problem with this film is not necessarily the silly little plot holes or the lost of the mystery of the Space Jockey (in Alien) or some of the characters inability to make sensible decisions ...

... the biggest problem was just how potentially brilliant Prometheus could have been.
  • bad09 8 Oct 2012 18:36:09 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:

... the biggest problem was just how potentially brilliant Prometheus could have been.
    Of all the things wrong with it I think this is my biggest disappointment with it. It could have been something so much better and it's a surprising low point for Scott. Part of me suspects to much studio involvement getting in the way.

Who knows, maybe a directors cut down the line can save it. The restored workprint made Alien3 a much better film.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 18:38:51
    If Prometheus ruined Alien, surely Alien Vs Predator ruined it doubly-so with such things as its hatstand retarded idea of aliens being on earth in the distant past, bred by predators as something fun to hunt when they get bored?

Or are we going to get into one of those "IT'S NOT CANON" cycles?
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 18:48:27 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Alien vs. Predator is a side thing, loosely based on. Loosely based.

It's like Freddy vs. Jason, a fun "what if" yet they each reside individually in their own worlds.
  • bad09 8 Oct 2012 18:52:27 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Personally I think the AvP films did ruin the Aliens Franchise quite a bit, that's probably why they tried to shoe-horn in a back story to the bone ship and give the aliens a creation story rather than make more alien films.

Still it's easier to separate those out of both Aliens and Predator as they were blatant "teen" versions of great franchises not actually connected to them in any way other than the creatures themselves. Prometheus on the other hand is kinda selling itself as a prequel of some sort.
  • ronuds 8 Oct 2012 18:56:19 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought AvP ruined Predator more than Aliens.

They were both floundering somewhat at the time, though.
  • BinaryBob101 8 Oct 2012 19:01:50 22,277 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Why does he keep calling it "The Bone Ship"?

Beautiful tender beings.

• bad09 8 Oct 2012 19:03:57 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    Why does he keep calling it "The Bone Ship"?
    That's what everyone has called it for years :)
  • AcidSnake 8 Oct 2012 20:29:48 7,213 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not me... :)

Predator was in worse shape from the off though due to predator 2...
    I'm not saying Prometheus has ruined the Alien franchise for me,just that I don't see them coexisting in the same narrative,engineers notwithstanding...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• oceanmotion 8 Oct 2012 20:48:23 15,641 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    First I've heard of it but not a huge fan.

I think the idea behind the film is quite interesting, I agree that is a big reason why it was so disappointing. It is like Scott and the writers had this great idea then went full steam ahead and changed their minds with regards to it being an Alien prequel too reminiscent of the original and tried to make it more unique. Lindelof had his hands in it which makes you think that is were the mess started but disappointing in Ridley for not seeing how bad it was and doing something about it. Big budget, not his show, too old to give a damn,I dunno.
  • oceanmotion 8 Oct 2012 21:11:01 15,641 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Screenwriter Jon Spaihts on the Prometheus that never was

Good read.
  • askew 8 Oct 2012 21:20:36 12,013 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I agree. Sounds like a lot of the stuff that doesn't make sense was because the alien references were removed and they shoe-horned the new goo where an alien egg/facehugger would have gone.

Although he's responsible for the dumb Fyfield thing.
  • bad09 8 Oct 2012 22:34:53 5,623 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Screenwriter Jon Spaihts on the Prometheus that never was

Good read.
    Interesting, their original ideas would have made a great film from the sounds of it.

So as I said I suspected earlier it's down to the studio messing it around (don't they ever learn). Now it makes sense why it is such a mess, like you say though it's disappointing Ridley didn't fight harder. Kinda strange to as he's very proud of Alien and seemed passionate about the prequel.

Edited by bad09 at 22:35:34 08-10-2012
  • Bremenacht 8 Oct 2012 23:09:06 17,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This thread has ruined the EG forum franchise for me. It used to be

eurogamer.net
    eurogamer.de
    eurogamer.pt

But now they're all shit. I see that meme fellow appear now and then and think "what's funny about you?". Ruined. Ruined for ever. May as well go and make eurogamer.kz now.
  • Bremenacht 8 Oct 2012 23:11:41 17,600 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More seriously, was Fassbender really so amazingly brilliant in this film? Seems to me that he had one of the easier parts to play. Guy seems to get hyped quite a bit.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2012 23:27:35
    He was the only one who was deliberately allowed to be wooden. I don't rate him hugely myself - he was alright as Magneto (though having a German Jew living in the US occasionally speaking with a heavy Irish accent was off-putting). Was pretty decent in Shame, though I hated the film itself.

I think he's just the general flavour of the month for the film pseuds.
  • FWB 8 Oct 2012 23:40:43 43,795 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've seen it twice now and it's a good movie. If you disagree, then I'm sorry to tell you that you are wrong.

That said, Ocean's link does sound good. I always thought that David would set things up more, particularly after his comment concerning children wanting their parents dead.

Edited by FWB at 23:48:11 08-10-2012
  • Page

of 116 First / Last