Tomb Raider 9 / reboot Page 43

• Page

of 78 First / Last

• Gambit1977 7 Mar 2013 16:02:18 9,698 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Yeah, play tomb raider then load up something like perfect dark zero to see just have huge the difference is even though same hardware.
    Remember when PD:Z looked amaaaaaaazing? :lol:
    I think I was actually blown away by the tiles smashing in the train station!
  • King_Edward 7 Mar 2013 16:12:44 11,454 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Randomlampy wrote:
    @kinky_mong

Thats a pretty good point, picked up MGS HD in the XBLA sale the other day as the present Mrs Lampy fancied watching a game she'd never seen before.

Its been years since I played Sons of liberty and I remembered the lengthy cutscenes but going from that on wednesday to Tomb raider last night was pretty jarring in terms of cutscene to gameplay ratio, so I've not felt any issues either.
    Not talking about TR here, but whenever I make that complaint it's not about cutscene length, it's about cutscene context. Whenever there's a cutscene in Metal Gear Snake/Raiden are talking about shit or hiding behind a barrel. Nothing I'd actually want  to play. It's when games take control away to do stuff you should be doing yourself, like looking at scenery, or shooting a bunch of bad guys.
  • Frogofdoom 7 Mar 2013 16:20:08 888 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Goodfella its intentional with the glitching i had it confirmed from a dev
  • BinaryBob101 7 Mar 2013 16:21:05 22,973 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Odd. It seems a little out of place.

The Grumpy Vaper

• Randomlampy 7 Mar 2013 16:25:02 580 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @King_Edward

Yeah context more than length now I think about it more, can agree with that.

Its been an unusually busy week for my 360 this week and I also picked up Max Payne 3 in the same XBL sale, and thats a game that relishes pulling control away for cutscene after cutscene (hiding load screens or so I've been told). Its put me off the idea of multiple playthroughs TBH.

When held up against MGS 2 and MP3, Tomb Raider from my experience so far isn't doing too bad a job at keeping you in control.
  • SlimSpudly87 7 Mar 2013 18:32:44 72 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've only played a couple of hours so far, but what a game so far!

Thank you Crystal Dynamics for restoring my faith in gaming
  • Maturin 7 Mar 2013 18:36:18 3,003 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Played half an hour or so of the PC version. Very impressive so far.
  • ElNino9 7 Mar 2013 19:02:02 13,430 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Migtly tempted to pick this up, it's only £32.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• NOSAVIOUR 7 Mar 2013 19:06:46 2,804 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The first part of the game is the best part. I'm at 54% now and though I'm enjoying it, it doesn't live up to its early promise.
  • SlimSpudly87 7 Mar 2013 19:06:59 72 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ElNino9 do it! You won't regret it
  • Mikeeeboy1 7 Mar 2013 19:12:18 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I can see this game selling 5 million plus.
    Square Enix have priced it well so it can be an impulse buy in supermarkets.
    Plus there are a hell of a lot of older gamers who know the brand.
    As for myself it's brilliant and will need some beating as the game of the year up to now!
    Thankyou Crystal Dynamics
  • itinkuravinalaff 7 Mar 2013 19:14:08 191 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That ignore button can be useful...Hey where is everyone??
  • Maturin 7 Mar 2013 19:49:51 3,003 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Damn game has become a complete crash fest for me. Might have to leave it until patched/Nvidia's new driver.
  • ExplodingClown 7 Mar 2013 19:53:20 2 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Enjoying it so far with one BIG problem: the shaky cam. After about 3 minutes of Lara running about I feel physically nauseous, the bloody thing waves about so much. I can cope with head bobbing effects in FPS's, or the roadie run effect in Gears, but this is *all the time* and it's horrible :(
  • Maturin 7 Mar 2013 20:19:05 3,003 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Aha found a fix that's working so far.

In NV Inspector delete the Tomb Raider 2013 profile (if there is one). Then add the Tomb Raider exe to the Hitman Absolution profile. Not had a crash since and even with Tessellation and TressFX.
  • StaffyDog 7 Mar 2013 20:20:05 255 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Brilliant game! Gorgeous graphics, Fluid satisfying combat and movement and good story.
  • Dr.Haggard 7 Mar 2013 21:28:05 4,207 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    The first part of the game is the best part. I'm at 54% now and though I'm enjoying it, it doesn't live up to its early promise.
    That's not what I wanted to hear, I'm only about 4 or so hours in and it's struck me as pretty average so far. Beautiful and polished certainly, but it's mostly felt like a committee-designed yawn-em-up with zero personality or atmosphere so far. I was assuming it was going to get a lot better given all the praise.
  • NOSAVIOUR 7 Mar 2013 22:37:00 2,804 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Dr.Haggard it plays great and I am enjoying it but its pretty by the books. I'm really fatiguing from the amount of combat. Love the secret tombs but it needs more of them. It started so well, especially with the deers in the woods and wolves then all of a sudden forgets them and throws human enemy after human enemy at you. Seems missed op as the first section was epic. Think that's what most people have got wrapped up in. It goes from epic game to just a by numbers good game. If you haven't played uncharted you'll probably enjoy it even more. Just think I having shooter fatigue and hoped this would be more adventurous.

Edited by NOSAVIOUR at 22:37:47 07-03-2013

Edited by NOSAVIOUR at 22:38:20 07-03-2013

Edited by NOSAVIOUR at 22:39:18 07-03-2013
  • Dr.Haggard 7 Mar 2013 23:22:08 4,207 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @NOSAVIOUR Couldn't agree more, the all-too-rare tombs are the best bits, and since the excellent forest area at the beginning the game feels like a bit of a bait and switch.

Without all the goons, the QTEs and the bits of patronising and clichéd game design (the hilarious 'tune the radio' sequence, or 'here comes the mini-boss goon-with-a-big-shield' etc etc bullshit) it would have been hugely improved. As it is I'm constantly switching between being immersed, bored or insulted. Luckily there are just about enough of the engaging bits to keep me going.

It's hard not to compare it to Uncharted when they've made no attempt to hide its influence in places, but it's not even close in terms of personality and overall refinement. Then again this has the tombs and a bit more exploration, but far worse writing and acting.

Sometimes, very rarely, it does actually go quiet so you can hear the wind, soak up the atmosphere and explore. For a moment it actually feels like a decent Tomb Raider game, but usually only for a minute before the next fight or cut scene rudely intrudes.
  • HarryPalmer 7 Mar 2013 23:45:18 3,321 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed. It rarely feels like tomb raider. Its a real shame it's so combat heavy, I thought they'd got it right near the beginning, where you take out a few at a time, but the waves soon kick in. I think Lara as a character is still great, better than ever in fact.

It's certainly very polished, but I prefer uncharted.

Edited by HarryPalmer at 23:46:49 07-03-2013
  • kinky_mong 8 Mar 2013 00:17:02 10,288 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You dullards need a new hobby if you think this is by the books and boring. Jus' saying.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Syrette 8 Mar 2013 00:22:25 43,504 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jonharrispro wrote:
    I'm about 3 hours in, just heading to the radio transmitter. Lots of fun so far. Looks great and Lara so far seems like a very "human" character. I notice a lot of the achievements are MP which sucks a bit. Anyone played the MP? If so how's it hold up? Would like to 1000G this but looks like a mission!.
    Only a quarter of the 1000 are multiplayer cheevos. Unfortunately if you want the lot you're looking at at least 50 hours.

Not really bothering with achievements at all myself with this title. Think I'll most of them just by playing the game naturally. Keeping an eye out for the more inventive kill ones mind.

• Randomlampy 8 Mar 2013 00:24:01 580 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had a great run this evening, just picked up the shotgun and finished that scene that leads back to the village was a breathtaking sequence.

Having great fun, the tombs are something else and despite initial misgivings I'm not too upset by the mix of game play so far. Though I do agree there's been too much shooting of humans for my liking.

I disagree that it doesn't feel like a Tomb raider, survival vision reminds me very much of the "look" mechanic which I remember most about the original, and while QTE's are a new addition I fuzzily recollect sub-bosses as you played.

Still too many enemies though, put me off Uncharted but for some reason, sticking with it here, maybe its because they feel less bullet spongy (on normal at least).

Edited by Randomlampy at 00:24:36 08-03-2013
  • Dr.Haggard 8 Mar 2013 01:01:19 4,207 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Randomlampy wrote:
    I fuzzily recollect sub-bosses as you played
    My problem with that particular example wasn't the actual presence of a 'mini boss', if you can even call it that, it was the sequence itself which illicited the biggest facepalm of the game so far.
  • jamesi 8 Mar 2013 01:59:27 204 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can't believe the graphics on xbox.If somone told me this was a ps4 game i woudn't argue.Didn't think this would be possible on current consoles.Sorry for being a graphics whore but the graphics:).Early goty candidate.
  • khaz 8 Mar 2013 02:58:45 2,786 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kinky_mong wrote:
    You dullards need a new hobby if you think this is by the books and boring. Jus' saying.
    They basically added Uncharted (or insert your favourite TPS here) on top of what was already there.

They went after the shooter crowd. I very much agree with the by the books sentiment. The best thing about the game - the actual Tomb Raiding so to speak - is optional and not as good as the two previous titles anyway.

Tomb Raider has always had shooting but it was always for survival (And stupid boss fights). The devs decided to convert it into yet another third person shooter but also pretend at the same time its still a Tomb Raider game

I've pretty much given up on the game for exactly the reasons they mentioned.

This isn't like the DmC reboot where a genuine attempt was made to refresh the series and combat system. They just took the shooting part of Tomb Raiding, copied Uncharted and made it the main part of the game and that's fucking stupid.

tl;dr

Why on fuck should I sit through Uncharted to enjoy my Tomb Raider?

Edited by khaz at 03:11:21 08-03-2013
  • waggy79 8 Mar 2013 06:12:58 968 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    People are looking at the original tomb raiders with rose tinted glasses. They dont hold up well which is why this reboot was needed, the franchise was stuck in the past. It may play similarly (and in my opinion has bettered) Uncharted but thats one of the most highly regarded franchises ever so why is that a bad idea?
  • Dougs 8 Mar 2013 07:00:30 67,741 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bah, less shooting more raiding! That was my biggest problem with Uncharted, was hoping they'd get it the right way round. Will wait for the Steam sale in a year or so.
  • King_Edward 8 Mar 2013 07:19:16 11,454 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    rose tinted glasses.
    This phrase needs to die. Tomb Raider always had its issues, but it was unique, and brilliantly designed.

You may not be able to get past a PSOne control scheme or a ropey camera, but people who can have a game that still stands out as much today as it did a decade ago.

This comment has nothing to do with the new TR btw. You can love either, neither or both. The age of the game just shouldn't come into it.

Edited by King_Edward at 07:21:36 08-03-2013
  • Page

of 78 First / Last