of 184 First / Last

• Khanivor 4 Oct 2012 01:50:07 40,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I see fruit has been pre-gaming for the debate :D
  • ecu 4 Oct 2012 01:52:36 77,044 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I made this thread over three years ago, I do somewhat regret the title every time I see it bumped. I could change it, but I won't.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 02:19:16
    http://conservativeintel.com/2012/10/01/2012-presidential-debate-drinking-game/
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 02:39:32
    I will say this - Obama is 'uh' and 'um'ing a lot more than Romney.
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2012 02:39:47 7,716 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'd prefer it if they ditched the point-scoring, who-is-winning bullshit that surrounds the debates (and the election in general) and instead focused on what Obama has done wrong, and how it could be done better. You know, actual *debates*, about policy and such. That would be so much more useful than "hurr hurr, Romney/Obama is going to get trashed, I can't wait". Albeit less entertaining.

I recognise that this will not happen, of course.
  • Khanivor 4 Oct 2012 03:26:05 40,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Romney is coming across as more energetic and with it on the TV. Ok he's full of shit and being a fucking dick but in the now he's done we'll.

I hope Obama has played this format to the future by letting Romney set himself up for demolition by the news' dissection of his statements.
  • mal 4 Oct 2012 03:32:29 22,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What I've seen of it, Romney has come across well, but then so has Obama. I don't know if America is tired of Obama's schtick yet, so maybe Romney's schtick is coming across better. Obama does seem to be doing more attacking to me though, while Romney doesn't seem to be differentiating himself other than on vague idealogical lines. I still don't understand the difference between Obamacare and Romneycare for example.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 4 October 2012 03:36:11
    Obama's not really attacking at all. Granted, I'm a few minutes behind as I had to do a beer run (Sam insisted on doing a drinking game for the debates), but he hasn't brought up things like the 47% comment and so on and so forth. Some pundits reckon he's been specifically training not to attack, but to reiterate facts. The only attacks he's really done is on Mitten's utter vagueness on how he intends to fix things.

But, speaking as someone who is only half-joking about saying I'll leave the country if Romney gets in, he's performing better. I suspect the Dems will heavily adjust their tactics for the next two.
  • mal 4 Oct 2012 03:42:21 22,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    meme wrote:
    The only attacks he's really done is on Mitten's utter vagueness on how he intends to fix things.
    Yes, I'll admit that's my recollection of his main attacks too. Romney's come out of this much better than I'd expected, and if the voters fancy a change he comes across as a more than viable alternative to the status quo.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 4 Oct 2012 03:45:32 54,409 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Obama was way too nice. Romney won, but he mostly won by being an unlikeable arsehole.
  • localnotail 4 Oct 2012 03:54:55 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Romney spoke directly to the camera most of the time, and therefore to the voters. Obama spoke more often direct to the chair / local audience, which is better form but less effective.

Romney just seemed to be throwing out crowd-pleasing promises, with no word about how to achieve them. Obama did manage to point this out at least once.

I thought Obama looked weary though. Almost expected him break his genial mould to say "Oh come on people, this guy is a douche-bag with loopy religious beliefs, don't trust the country to him, you idiots!".

Second debate should have more blood in it.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Psychotext 4 Oct 2012 04:04:08 54,409 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and the moderator was fucking useless.

Try pulling that shit on Paxman. He'd murder your whole family.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 04:21:53
    Psychotext wrote:
    Oh, and the moderator was fucking useless.

Try pulling that shit on Paxman. He'd murder your whole family.
    Loved the "I would have had five seconds if you didn't interrupt me" bit.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 4 Oct 2012 08:35:32 755 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Just the thought of a mormon being the most powerful man in the world sends cold shivers down my spine.

Arsechickens

• Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2012 16:39:35 7,716 posts
    Seen 43 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Word is that Romney "won" the debate. Well, fantastic for him. And great for the bookies who would have made quite a bit off his perfor- wait, people bet on this shit? Like it's a horse race?

There's something slightly disturbing about that, but YAY MY GUY WON WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

*punches own face*
  • ResidentKnievel 4 Oct 2012 21:01:40 6,241 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    I made this thread over three years ago, I do somewhat regret the title every time I see it bumped. I could change it, but I won't.
    Change it to 'America, FUCK YEAH!'

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• ronuds 4 Oct 2012 21:11:59 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Al Gore says Obama didn't do well because of Denver's high altitude.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/wp/2012/10/04/al-gore-blames-altitude-for-obama-performance/

That should help.
  • Bremenacht 4 Oct 2012 22:54:09 18,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    http://conservativeintel.com/2012/10/01/2012-presidential-debate-drinking-game/
    I didn't bother with the debate, but I'll guess that anyone playing that game would have ended up in hospital as a result.

Clips I saw sounded totally snooze-worthy. Romney sounds like he's learned a winning trick though - lie all you want, as long as those lies fit the pre-conceptions of your probable voters.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 22:57:29
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    Just the thought of a mormon being the most powerful man in the world sends cold shivers down my spine.
    He'd be pledging allegiance to the Osmonds every morning!
  • senso-ji 4 Oct 2012 22:57:55 5,969 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just watched the debate on Youtube.

I think that Romney did take it, but not because Obama was flustered or tired; he seemed his usual self IMO. The problem with Obama was that he went on the defensive too early and immediately began attacking Romney's ideas and pledges, when he should have stood by his own achievements to date.

Romney, on the other hand, did absolutely the right thing by criticising Obama's last four years - that's his job as the opposition candidate.

I felt Obama did improve towards the end but by then it was too late. I'd imagine his campaign will iron out his mistakes for the next debate but I look forward to the vice presidential debate next week.
  • localnotail 4 Oct 2012 23:46:59 23,093 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Obama weighing in after the event

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Khanivor 4 Oct 2012 23:55:03 40,952 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:

Clips I saw sounded totally snooze-worthy. Romney sounds like he's learned a winning trick though - lie all you want, as long as those lies fit the pre-conceptions of your probable voters.
    I so wanted Obama to fire back when Romney said that, because he had five boys, he knew what it was like for someone to lie so often that they think the lie will become treated as truth. I mean, FFS, that is Romney's entire campaign in a somewhat odd personal anecdote.

The entire Republican plank these days is basically the same thing - fact free and dripping with kinda creepy bullshit stories. It's a shame, as there's certainly room for debate about a great many things. But when one lot has decided to completely sever itself from reality then there's not much anyone can do to achieve anything meaningful.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 00:10:01
    Romney won the debate as it happened, but the after event is proving somewhat different - the fact checking has effectively torn most of Romney's rebuttals and attacks apart. Even though it's Rolling Stone, this is a pretty good rundown.
  • Psychotext 5 Oct 2012 00:27:04 54,409 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Americans don't have the attention span to care though. It's all LOUD NOISES and then they go back to their hunting and whatnot.

Win at the debate or don't... you wont win with factcheckers.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 00:37:39
    I dunno. The fact that there are multiple debates means the facts themselves should crop up there. Everything Romney said in this one that's a verifiable lie can be torn apart by Obama in round two in the opening statements (and vice versa). In theory, get the right things in and perform properly and confidently (unlike the first one), and Obama can knock Romney's legs out in the first few minutes. "Winning" the first debate only results in a small, temporary PR boost. The second and third are when it actually counts for a more substantial bump.
  • ecu 5 Oct 2012 00:57:21 77,044 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    These two old ladies have a blog.
  • Bremenacht 5 Oct 2012 01:02:58 18,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @meme Different focus in each of the future debates though? Which'd mean Romney can tell fresh lies and -presumably- not have them challenged until after the debate, by which time they'd already had their effect.

Obama seems to be doing what he did for his first few years in government - avoiding a fight.
  • Page

of 184 First / Last