Self drive holidays in West Coast USA

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Fletche 10 Jul 2009 15:18:41 3,418 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Next year we are looking go to the USA and hire a car around the West Coast, taking in the usual places, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Yosemite etc etc

Just wondering if anyone had any experiences they could pass on, any tips, advice on traveling in this area and also driving in America and also, places to visit whilst on the road. We are also looking at who to travel with and so far Trailfinders are looking good as a company so again, anyone used these people and if so, what was your experience like with them?

Hopefully if all goes well, the year after I may get to do one of my dreams and drive around Canada!
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Jul 2009 15:40:06 23,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    o_O Weird. I've just come back from that very same trip!

We went Vegas > LA > Santa Barbara > Santa Monica > San Fran > Yosemite > Death Valley > Vegas.

It's a great route, you get to take in route 1, some great cities, and then two great national parks (as well as Vegas, baby).

Tips?

1) If you want to party, make sure you're in Vegas for the weekend as it's much busier then
    2) If you don't want to stay up all night drinking then hit vegas Sun > Thursday as the hotels are *much* cheaper then ($40/night instead of $200).
    3) For Vegas, I highly recommend the Luxor, it's a great hotel, and they have some cracking deals (see $40 a night above).
    4) Car hire - Depending on your budget I would highly recommend getting a Ford Mustang convertable. You're going to be doing a lot of driving through some amazing places and not only is it a much better experience driving in a convertable, but the views are much better (not hindered).
    5) Take in LA, but plan to get there early and tick of the major sites in a day, then push on to Santa Barbara for the night. LA is a bit of a hole, but it's worth stopping there for a day at least.
    6) Santa Barbara is a lovely place. It's a bit more expensive in terms of hotels than Vegas, but it's got a great beach. There's pleanty of vineyards around this area, well worth checking out.
    7) When in Santa Barbara, don't stay in the Parkway hotel - it's an absolute shithole. Our room was above a subway so stank of cheese, and people were bringing local 'guests' back to their rooms all hours of the night, if you see what I mean.
    8) Monteray is a nice costal town, similar to Santa Barbara. On the way there there's a dutch village which is well worth stopping off in for some pancakes. Try and get a hotel on the coast here, as there are some great views. Go for a drink in the Britannia Arms in for a laugh at what they think 'British' is.
    9) Either visit or stay in Santa Cruz, another great costal town. If you're just popping in then head to the beach. Loads of seals and surfers everywhere.
    10) Try and stay in San Fran at least two nights, and try and stay centrally. I highly recommend Parc 55 hotel - a superb 5* hotel, and we got a deal through tripadvisor which meant we paid less than we did at previous Travel Inns.
    11) In San Fran, "Bike the Bridge". Hire two bikes (about $80) for the day and cycle around all of the sights, across the bridge and get the ferry back.
    12) I can't really tell you much about Yosemite because it was closed due to snow (in June, nice), but give yourself lots of time to get there as you have to drive up twisty mountain roads and it's slow going.
    13) Death Valley is well worth a visit, but if you get there at a decent time you can definitely do it in a day. Stay there fun the sunset and then head to Vegas. Do not stay at any hotel in Death Valley. They are terrible, and the is absolutely nothing to do in the area. Google told us that it was about 3 hours to Vegas. Bullshit. The next morning we did it in 2 hours. Push on and stay at a nice hotel for half the price in Vegas.

Erm... that's about it for the route... other general tips:
    14) There seems to be some weird unwritten rule in Vegas that no where serves food past 10pm. Just something to be aware of as we got caught out on a few occasions.
    15) Stop signs. If you can figure out what to do at a crossroads which has a stop sign in every direction then you're a better man than me. There didn't seem any sort of pattern to who had right of way. Don't do what I did and run a stop sign at 70mph. The police don't take kindly to it - I got pulled over, searched and had guns drawn on me because they thought we were on the run. That wasn't our last run in with the law either...
    16) When hiring a car get every available bit of insurance - they've got some fucked up policies over there and if you want decent cover then get Every Extended Extra when it comes to insurance. Trust me.
    17) If you're doing a lot of driving, get a sat nav. Don't bother with maps, you will get royally lost.

Erm... that's all I can thing of for now, any questions, ask away!

Oh, and it was the best holiday I've ever had!

[MH]
  • askew 10 Jul 2009 15:51:40 12,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nice! :D Did they let you go when they realised you were a harmless tourist, or did you get ticked off and given a ticket?
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Jul 2009 16:05:50 23,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They let me go when they saw my passport. They went mental when I went in the boot to get it as they thought I was going for a shotgun. Then when I realised it was in my camera bag on my front seat, I said "I know where it is" dashed around the car and dived through the window to grab my bag, only to have the officer pull his gun on me. At that point I needed to change my underwear - first (and hopefully last) time ever that I've stared down the barrel of a gun.

My friend nearly got thrown in the cells in Vegas for Jaywalking, too.

[MH]
  • Fletche 10 Jul 2009 16:13:22 3,418 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So using a "But I'm English and thus ignorant to you ways" isn't going to work, will note that

Thanks Mike, this is great and will come in useful, really want to do this as I think the US has so much to see and experience even in just geography terms let alopne anything else and is probably the most accessible taking into account, language, distance etc, want to do Peru but will take a while to convince Mre Fletche that this is a great idea, so need to start somewhere :o)
  • askew 10 Jul 2009 16:14:18 12,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    They let me go when they saw my passport. They went mental when I went in the boot to get it as they thought I was going for a shotgun. Then when I realised it was in my camera bag on my front seat, I said "I know where it is" dashed around the car and dived through the window to grab my bag, only to have the officer pull his gun on me. At that point I needed to change my underwear - first (and hopefully last) time ever that I've stared down the barrel of a gun.

My friend nearly got thrown in the cells in Vegas for Jaywalking, too.

[MH]

Blimey, lucky you didn't get tased!
  • Khanivor 10 Jul 2009 16:40:44 40,853 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    15) Stop signs. If you can figure out what to do at a crossroads which has a stop sign in every direction then you're a better man than me.

It's supposed to go in the order of who arrived first.

Supposed to.
  • Bill-Gates-is-Evil 10 Jul 2009 18:38:52 8,934 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Standard operating procedure when getting pulled over: Put the car keys on the dashboard, rest your hands on the steering wheel. If it's dark outside, turn on the cars inside lights. Cop will treat you with the utmost respect when he notices you've gone out of your way to show that you're safe.
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Jul 2009 21:14:29 23,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fletche wrote:
    So using a "But I'm English and thus ignorant to you ways" isn't going to work, will note that

Thanks Mike, this is great and will come in useful, really want to do this as I think the US has so much to see and experience even in just geography terms let alopne anything else and is probably the most accessible taking into account, language, distance etc, want to do Peru but will take a while to convince Mre Fletche that this is a great idea, so need to start somewhere :o)
    Heh, it got us off in the end, but not until we proved we were innocent.

It's a really good starting point for those sort of trips. You get to see very different places, even though they're only a few hours away from each other, and it's quite addictive (I'm not looking forward to our next beach holiday anymore).

I wouldn't be too convinced about the language barrier. If you head anywhere that isn't as used to tourists you almost have to resort to shouting and pointing to get what you want. Cheeky bastards asking us to speak more slowly. It's our chuffin' language! :p

All in all the Americans were a really friendly bunch of people. Friendly, helpful and approachable. Most of them were a good laugh too. Some of the American guys where fucking annoying though, but I put that down to culture differences. All of that "Wooo FUCK YEAH!! In your face!!! I FUCKING RULE MAN!!! America, FUCK YEAH" pissed me off after a while. Alright mate, it's just happy hour at the bar, calm down sunshine.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Jul 2009 21:16:12 23,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Khanivor wrote:
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    15) Stop signs. If you can figure out what to do at a crossroads which has a stop sign in every direction then you're a better man than me.

It's supposed to go in the order of who arrived first.

Supposed to.
    Ah, at one point I thought it was down to had the faster car... Very odd system.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 10 Jul 2009 21:18:52 23,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bill Gates is Evil wrote:
    Standard operating procedure when getting pulled over: Put the car keys on the dashboard, rest your hands on the steering wheel. If it's dark outside, turn on the cars inside lights. Cop will treat you with the utmost respect when he notices you've gone out of your way to show that you're safe.
    I've seen enough American films to remember to stay in the car, turn off the engine and keep my hands on the wheel. I didn't think to put the keys on the dashboard mind.

The cop was friendly enough, just a little jumpy for my liking.

[MH]
  • coojam 10 Jul 2009 22:30:51 625 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    o_O Weird. I've just come back from that very same trip!

[MH]

Also strange, I arrived back from almost the exact same trip just 4 weeks ago!

I flew Vegas to San Francisco, then drove from there to LA.

- Route 1 up the coast is absolutely stunning, it's a long drive, but well worth it. Just don't do it by night as it's very hairy.

- Based on the driving, as Mike said, be very picky about the vehicle you choose. I imagine a Mustang would be quite expensive, but I decided to go for the only convertible my company were offering which was a Chrysler Sebring. The convertible aspect was lovely, but the car handled like a piece of shit. If you enjoy driving and love the adventure of an awesome road, get a sports hatch or something that will handle the road better (something, strangely, the Americans aren't too familiar with)

- San Francisco is awesome, stay there for a good 3 nights if you can

- I thought Vegas was shit. Tackiest place on the planet. Excellent to go there if you're with a big group of people and out for nothing but a piss-up session, otherwise expect it to be like Tenerife but with more tourists, Mexicans clicking strip club fliers everywhere and to be really expensive to do anything. (Admittedly, when you are drunk, the place makes a lot of sense).

To back up Mike again (excuse the expression), I'd also recommend the Luxor, lovely hotel, just a shame about the staff. Vegas is a case of cramming in as many people as possible and milking them for all they're worth. As a result, you're herded around the hotels like farm animals.

- Get your ESTA sorted early.

- Definitely get a Sat Nav. Even if you don't plan on using it, it's good to have it there just in case.

- Like Mike said, those crossroads are confusing, but generally it works that the first to approach the crossroads is the first to go. You'll find a general fairness and friendliness to this approach.

- Stick to the rules when crossing the street. Even when you know it's safe to go, if there's a sign there telling you to walk/don't walk, then follow it.

- Be careful in karaoke bars, as the standard of singing is far superior to anything you're used to.

- San Francisco isn't anywhere near as gay as you're made to believe. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing to you, I don't know.

- Smile at people walking down the street. THEY SMILE BACK. It's quite amazing.

- The Grand Canyon is incredible if you can make it that far. You should head to the South Rim rather than the West or North rims, which is in Arizona, so it is a trek, but if you do go to Vegas, it's only a matter of hours away.

- LA is missable. Hollywood is ok for novelty value if you're a film fan and I'd definitely recommend the studio tours (the VIP experience at Warner is expensive at around 150, but you get to see the props studio, sound studio and a mini-drive around Wisteria Lane. (Desperate Housewives fan, sorry).

- I'm told San Diego is excellent if you make it that far south.

- Try not to get stitched up about their VAT system. They rarely advertise products on the shelf at their price including tax, it tends to work it out at the til. Difficult to figure out what you'll actually pay for something.

- Petrol is silly-cheap. I near-filled our car for the equivalent of 15. ANd they get angry about how expensive it is.

- Do Alcatraz when in San Francisco.

- Don't walk the Golden Gate Bridge unless you reaaally like walking as it's about 45 minutes each way at regular walking pace and there's virtually nothing on the other side. Seriously, there's a fucking Starbucks on every street corner in the States, but you walk all the way across the bridge and there's not so much as an ice cream man, just two toilet blocks. I didn't have much choice about walking as I was hung over and didn't too much fancy my chances on a bike.

- Fisherman's Wharf is a fairly good location in San Fran. It's tied nicely to most of the other areas (the famous hilly streets are walkable, there's the trams local direct to Union Square and it's a bus ride to the bridge). That said, it kind of dies after 9pm, so if you're after more night life.

- I didn't think there was much to see in Santa Barbara, but then I only stopped to go up the pier on the way to LA.

- Similar with Monterey and Santa Cruz (who, incidentally, seem to think they've got the best sea-side theme park in the world. They clearly have never been to Blackpool as their's is shit). If you're a Star Trek fan, Monterey Aquarium is where they filmed much of the Aquarium scenes from Star Trek IV)

- Carmel-by-the-Sea just down from Monterey is a beautiful little place.

- There's the famous 17 mile drive around that area too. Well worth it, apparently. We dodged it because it's a toll road, but I'm told I should have just gone on it since I got back!

- If you fancy a really nice stay on Route 1 to break up the journey (and I highly recommend you break it up), try Ragged Point Inn. It's not cheap, but idyllic and the food in their restaurant is faaaantastic. We stopped without booking and they decided to do a good rate for us as they weren't fully booked.

I'm getting carried away with myself here. I'd love to go back and hope you have a fantastic time out there.

• jenguin 10 Jul 2009 22:58:15 152 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My tips: On the route we took (which went a bit further inland to arizona and utah than most)

Route 1:
    Go south, not north. More people travel North, so more traffic, and you are on the coastal side if you drive south.

San Francisco:
    is ace - avoid Pier whatever number it is - like skegness that bit.
    Do Alcatraz, but on an evening trip if you can - much more atmospheric.
    Do this restaurant http://www.frascatisf.com/ it's beyond ace.
    As already mentioned, cycle the bridge to Sausilito - then catch the ferry back

Santa Cruz:
    stop there if you can, we didn't but wished we hadn't

Monterray:
    maybe don't stop there, it's all right . .. but wouldn't want to go back.

LA:
    Avoid at all costs.

San Diego:
    go here instead of LA - LA is rubbish

Palm Springs:
    It's a strange place - we used it as a stopover to visit Joshua Tree NP, and the mountain that towers over it.

Joshua Tree NP:
    My first taste of true desert - and a very unique one at that, great walks and rock formations, and the plants and cacti - included one called teddy bear cactus that fires needles at you . . .

Phoenix:
    Hot sweaty nothingness in the middle of what would have been a dustbowl if they hadn't layered it in concrete. We went to scottsdale . . . wouldn't go back

Sedona:
    Red rock country - beautiful drive through the canyons, nice preparation for what was to come

Flagstaff:
    Student town on route 66 - some nice pubs and nightlife, good base for the arizona state

Monument Valley:
    Way in fromm the coast of course, and it took years to get there, but being brought up on westerns I had to go - and for me (and even my wife) was the highlight of the trip. Grinning from ear to ear i was. If you do want to go that far inland, then take one of the jeep/horse tours, you can drive around a bit of it yourself, but most of it is only accessible by the native indian guides themselves.
    Stay at Gouldings lodge - the only place you can stay at monument Valley - and get up to watch the dawn. Most beautiful sight you will ever see - this is still my favourite photo I have ever taken:
    http://jpenguin.smugmug.com/photos/288061501_r6UPM-XL.jpg

Grand Canyon:
    Unbelievable. If you go - you'll know what I mean. I can't describe it. Don't think anyone can. It was like looking at a painted backdrop. It couldn't be real. but it is.

Death Valley:
    We went to the hottest (or 2nd) place on the planet in august so was in the high forties . .. we did stay, and swimming at midnight in a non heated pool (which feels like a bath) is quite an experience. It was so hot I had to wear shades at night, as the wind felt like someone blowing a hairdryer into your eyeballs.
    Weird and wonderful scenery - but in summer you can't see most of it for heat haze, and the fact it is too hot to go anywhere . . . if you do go see the magic rocks that move and you have to visit badwater just to say you have been to the hottest place on the planet.

Las Vegas:
    You have to go I suppose - I just didn't quite understand what the hell was going on . . .

Mono Lake:
    We used this as a stop over - beautiful place at the entrance to Yosemitie, close to Bodie Ghost town which is also ace . ..

Yosemite
    Do not visit on a weekend. It will be rammed. Or at least the usual suspects will be. It is HUGE of course, so plenty of hikes and amazing sights to be had without tripping over tourists getting in and out of cars.

Oh and insist on a mustang convertible.

We booked some things with travelbag (flights, car some hotels) and they are good. But particularly for hotels - research and book them yourself, can be a lot nicer for a lot less. tripadvisor.co.uk as always is a very good reference point.

oh and stop signs - stop at all of them. Even if there is no-one in sight for miles. Stop. Big offense (as mike discovered) not to . . . general consensus is, whoever arrives first, goes first. Similarly remember you can turn right on a red light as well (as long as it's clear .. . )

J
  • Deleted user 10 July 2009 23:52:08
    I did similar to the OP last summer. Best time of my life.

I'm guessing though by your use of "self drive" (and not "road trip") that you aren't on a young lads session like I was? In which case, I'll keep my tales of debauchery and mischief across the West Coast USA to myself! But it's a really cool region to see and explore, you'll love it. I really miss it, almost wish I was going with..
  • Fletche 11 Jul 2009 10:40:50 3,418 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is excellent stuff, thank you everyone who has so far posted, first thread I will print off and study!!
  • Deleted user 11 July 2009 16:36:49
    Brief summation of my travels:

Las Vegas - Party central, birds, booze, gambling and eating a-plenty. Loved it

San Francisco - The most touristy of the major West Coast cities. Real nice place

Los Angeles - Thought it was pretty meh tbh.

San Diego - Great city. Beaches, clean, good nightlife, much better than LA

So that's the major cities then. Of course along the way we stopped off in various places; Santa Barbara (nice town), San Jose, Orange County and so on.

It really is an amazing corner of the Earth, you'll have a blast, I'm jealous! :)
  • Fletche 13 Jul 2009 08:48:52 3,418 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We aren't too bothered about LA to be honest but thinking to start there (as in land) and then work our way up to San Francisco, spending 2 or 3 days there before moving east and ending in Vegas but of course with a side trip to The Grand Canyon.

From what everyone has written on here it seems like we are making a good choice and yeah, my days of debauchery are over (well depends what I can get up to with Mrs Fletche I suppose) but me thinks the scenery would almost make up for it :o)
  • Ginger 13 Jul 2009 10:20:26 6,850 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Awesome thread, awesome timing. We just booked our flights to SF to visit some mates for 10 days. Not much time, but the wifes a teacher so limited to holidays.

We'll be staying with mates, but I'll definitely look at this list for a few ideas!

700 for 1st out and Club back thanks to shitloads of airmiles :D

London open taekwondo champion

• terminalterror 13 Jul 2009 14:40:48 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jenguin wrote:
    Monument Valley:
    Way in fromm the coast of course, and it took years to get there, but being brought up on westerns I had to go - and for me (and even my wife) was the highlight of the trip. Grinning from ear to ear i was. If you do want to go that far inland, then take one of the jeep/horse tours, you can drive around a bit of it yourself, but most of it is only accessible by the native indian guides themselves.
    Stay at Gouldings lodge - the only place you can stay at monument Valley - and get up to watch the dawn. Most beautiful sight you will ever see - this is still my favourite photo I have ever taken:
    http://jpenguin.smugmug.com/photos/288061501_r6UPM-XL.jpg

Grand Canyon:
    Unbelievable. If you go - you'll know what I mean. I can't describe it. Don't think anyone can. It was like looking at a painted backdrop. It couldn't be real. but it is.

Monument Valley certainly is rather incredible. Such an awe inspiringly beautiful place. I didn't stay at the hotel as it was under construction (I was there in 2007), but we camped nearby and got up early to see dawn over the rocky skyline. Rather a different sort of sunrise to yours, but lovely all the same :)

If you get to the Grand Canyon it is well worth getting a helicopter flight over it. If you do it from the South Rim, bear in mind that where the helicopters go from is 5 minutes flight from the rim, so a 20 minute flight only involves 10 minutes over the canyon, so it is worth going for a 40 minute flight. Triple the time over the canyon for about 50% more money.
  • terminalterror 13 Jul 2009 14:46:45 18,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Photos from my trip around the American Southwest from 2 years ago

Some of the Nation Parks I went to are a fair way inland, but there is a hell of a lot of spectacular (and massively varied) scenery to see in Utah.

Monument Valley felt the most magical.
    Grand Canyon was the most awe inspiringly vast.
    Arches had the best iconic rocks.
    Zion had the best hikes (Angels Landing could well be the best hike in the world).
    Bryce was the most alien, looking like the whole place had been built in a soundstage for a sci-fi movie.
  • Fletche 14 Jul 2009 13:37:12 3,418 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What can I say but wow, I want to go even more now. It looks simply amazing!
  • glaeken 14 Jul 2009 13:50:29 11,199 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    coojam wrote:

- San Francisco isn't anywhere near as gay as you're made to believe. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing to you, I don't know.

You see you say this but when coming out of the subway/Bart in central San Francisco for the first time the first thing I saw was guy in jeans with the arse cheeks cut out to reveal his bare arse cuddling a guy in a G-string.

Ok so I had unintentionally arrived during some sort of gay pride march but it still ranks as the gayest place I have ever been by some margin.
  • ryohazuki1983 6 Aug 2009 14:16:06 735 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not a road trip as such but, me and the missus are going over to vegas/LA next year (April) on a honeymoon, but we're only gonna go for a week (can't leave kids too long with the in-laws etc).

We plan on spending 3 nights in vegas, then driving to LA (want a mustang covertible, although no sites seem to be able to guarantee one) so I can see a Lakers game. From what i've read on here everybody saying LA is rubbish so we might only stay one night or so (might goto Universal Studios).

One thing is though, the missus doesn't want to stay near the Staples Center as it's classed as "downtown" so wants to stay in hollywood so we can eat out in the evening(s) without fear of being shot.

Anybody stayed near Staples Center? any thoughts? Also has anybody travelled from hollywood to staples center to goto a game? think we can take the red line on the Metro then it's about a 7 minute walk, just wondered what time to leave etc as I'd imagine it will be really busy getting to the arena.

That leaves us with a few days, anybody got tips on where to go?, bearing in mind we have to drive back to vegas to fly back (looked into taking the car back to a different drop off point and it doubles the cost of hire).

Cheers.
  • PES_Fanboy 6 Aug 2009 14:27:29 16,438 posts
    Seen 44 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Honestly, I can't see why so many people go to LA or Vegas, they're both really vulgar, aggressive places.

That goes for the worse parts of SF, too. If you're going this time of year, splash out an extra hundred bucks and get on a connecting flight to Vancouver and drive up route 99.

Better scenery, cops who won't kill you for breathing wrong, and far, FAR less aggression and vulgarity. Oh, and no retarded stop-signed crossroads either.

/is biased.
  • ryohazuki1983 6 Aug 2009 16:33:42 735 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Going to LA to see the Lakers! So can't miss it out!
  • Trowel 6 Aug 2009 17:22:10 17,797 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As you're only there for a week, I wouldn't bother with Vegas - go to San Fran instead and save yourself a lot of time. Vegas is pretty crap unless you're on a stag do.
  • Mike_Hunt 8 Aug 2009 19:17:57 23,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ryohazuki1983 wrote:
    We plan on spending 3 nights in vegas, then driving to LA (want a mustang covertible, although no sites seem to be able to guarantee one) so I can see a Lakers game. From what i've read on here everybody saying LA is rubbish so we might only stay one night or so (might goto Universal Studios).
    A couple do. Dreamcarrentals.com do, but the best is Hertz (cheapest and most well known).

Hertz.com>Vehicle Guide>Fun Collection.

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 8 Aug 2009 19:21:45 23,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    As you're only there for a week, I wouldn't bother with Vegas - go to San Fran instead and save yourself a lot of time. Vegas is pretty crap unless you're on a stag do.
    See, I really don't get this. You've got a fantastic hotels, nice bars, great places to eat, some fantastic shows and exhibitions, the weather, great pools etc. etc.

Sure you can gamble 24 hours, get an escort delivered to your room quicker than a pizza, and watch pole dancers whilst sipping at a pint, but they're only options, you don't have to do any of that stuff.

[MH]
  • Whizzo 8 Aug 2009 19:25:22 43,154 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Vegas is also a great place to base yourself for a trip to the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam.

It also has the Las Vegas Gun Store, which is great for when you've had no luck on the tables!

This space left intentionally blank.

• Trowel 8 Aug 2009 19:38:35 17,797 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    See, I really don't get this. You've got a fantastic hotels, nice bars, great places to eat, some fantastic shows and exhibitions, the weather, great pools etc. etc.
    No doubt - it's the other people there who completely ruin the place.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous