What's for DINNER tonight then? Page 49

  • Page

    of 209 First / Last

  • WoodenSpoon 6 Jan 2013 15:09:00 12,342 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Just get one of those massive sacks of pasta, they cost about 4 and last like 3 months or something.
  • HoboMario 6 Jan 2013 15:25:19 28 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Metalfish
    Fair enough. But i just don't think it'd be worth me buying big cuts of raw meat when i only have a microwave. And plus my mum moans if i make any sort of mess or take ages making something in the kitchen, so it's not worth the grief.
    I just can't do proper cooking right now. And yes it's annoying, that's why i got pissed off with all the comments suggesting i'm stupid/a chav.
  • HoboMario 6 Jan 2013 15:26:34 28 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @WoodenSpoon
    I've tried that a few times, but i always run out of ideas for cheap stuff to have with it. I used to just put melted cheese through it and it was lovely, but cheese is so bad for you, i don't wanna get into the habit of eating it as a staple.
  • Metalfish 6 Jan 2013 15:27:04 9,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The trick is to have those massive sacks of staple foods, aye, but not to just live off pasta and frozen veg. Also look into things like frozen soya/quorn mince (perfectly okay for pasta sauces and chilli) which are often discounted and last for yonks -unless you're opposed to vegetarian food out of carnivore principles, it's pretty cheap protein.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 15:31:21
    Those dry packs of quorn mince are brilliant.
  • HoboMario 6 Jan 2013 15:32:36 28 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Metalfish
    Ok thanks i'll look into it. I usually eat stuff like tinned beans for protein, but that's boring.
  • Metalfish 6 Jan 2013 15:35:38 9,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @mowgli, the frozen ones are cheaper.

    Hobo, have you got a hob? The microwave performs a role a lot like a steamer, I can't imagine wanting to steam everything I ate....
  • HoboMario 6 Jan 2013 16:11:42 28 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Metalfish
    Nope, no hob.
    The micro is ok for some stuff, it just means stuff turns out a bit lank and not crispy.
  • Metalfish 6 Jan 2013 16:37:02 9,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've lived in a bedsit without an oven, but I don't know what I'd have done without a countertop hob. I eventually picked up a cheapo micro grill thing as well. I can't imagine it'd set you back mega money for a very simple hob, microwaving is indeed useful, but it sucks for meat.
  • HoboMario 6 Jan 2013 16:45:08 28 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Metalfish
    Yeah meat pretty much ends up dry and chewy on the outside and raw in the middle.
    I'd like a micro grill/hob thing, but my mum would just moan about it, cos she's weird about stuff like that. I'd never hear the end of it.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 16:48:35
    I'm having slow cooked pork belly with caramelised apple and mash for dinner today.
  • Metalfish 6 Jan 2013 18:09:38 9,191 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't like to make judgements without the facts (massive lie), but your homelife is starting to sound a little worrying. Is your mother, er, alright?

    Excuse me if I'm taking a wide jump out of my area labelled "the mark" and "in order" into the location signposted "conclusions".
  • DaM 6 Jan 2013 18:44:56 16,846 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Do you have a kitchen? Do they make kitchens without a cooker? Why would you do without even a wee plug-in hob?

    Clay pot chicken rice, made in the rice cooker. And 2/3rds of the children ate it (after I picked the shitake mushrooms out), so result. Turned their noses up at the stir-fried Romaine lettuce though, which is excellent, I thought they'd go for that (slice up, stir fry over a ferocious heat, add a bit of salt at the end, nothing else).
  • Syrette 6 Jan 2013 18:51:34 49,256 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    Mince and tatties!

    Who knew it would be so popular with people from Tennessee?

    Fucking kill for some proper Bisto though :(
    Haven't had this in ages, always craving it but the missus hates the thought.
    Whipped.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 18:53:00
    Syrette wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    Mince and tatties!

    Who knew it would be so popular with people from Tennessee?

    Fucking kill for some proper Bisto though :(
    Haven't had this in ages, always craving it but the missus hates the thought.
    Whipped.
    Yes, but you can't really make mince and tatties for one! Even if they are special mowgli portions.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jan 2013 19:04:32 20,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    Mince and tatties!

    Who knew it would be so popular with people from Tennessee?

    Fucking kill for some proper Bisto though :(
    Haven't had this in ages, always craving it but the missus hates the thought.
    Hates the thought of what?
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 19:06:52
    Mince and tatties. Say she has had it before and doesn't like it but I reckon that is nonsense.
  • Syrette 6 Jan 2013 19:07:32 49,256 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Stuff it in her mouth.
  • Khanivor 6 Jan 2013 19:10:36 43,369 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You can make it for one. You might have to eat the second half another day but still.

    He'll, make it for yourself then throw some tomatoes and chili powder in the rest and serve it to her as chili.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 19:11:13
    Ha, that chilli idea isn't bad actually. Fuck it, tomorrow I'm having mince and tatties.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jan 2013 19:11:19 20,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Mince and tatties. Say she has had it before and doesn't like it but I reckon that is nonsense.
    Try it again ffs, it's minced meat and potatoes. You're not asking her to eat boiled grubs and monkey brains.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 19:12:31
    Tbf, I'm happy eating her curries so not desperate for mince and tatties!
  • Khanivor 6 Jan 2013 19:19:57 43,369 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    How can she not like it? Christ, get a wee girl here who is the size of a stick and is really fussy. But ever since she was about eight her favourite meal has been mince and tatties. Everyone I've cooked it for here has loved it! Although I don't recommend it as a summer meal, not when it's 40 degrees outside. Kinda makes you feel bad after eating it.

    While we are on the subject, does anyone else leave putting the carrots in till 10 minutes or so before serving? I do. Leaves them with some crunch.

    And without being a fanny about it, a little parsley in the tatties works well.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 19:30:13
    Fuck me I want mince and tatties now.
  • Khanivor 6 Jan 2013 19:30:48 43,369 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That reminds me, need to go stir them. Can smell them from upstairs. Mmm.
  • HoboMario 6 Jan 2013 19:43:21 28 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    I don't like to make judgements without the facts (massive lie), but your homelife is starting to sound a little worrying. Is your mother, er, alright?

    Excuse me if I'm taking a wide jump out of my area labelled "the mark" and "in order" into the location signposted "conclusions".
    Nah it's cool. Yeah she's a little, um 'eccentric' shall we say. It's fucking annoying at times, but i'm used to it. And plus i'm hoping to move out as soon as i can find a job after college. Then i can cook whatever the fuck i like!
  • HoboMario 6 Jan 2013 19:45:32 28 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Do you have a kitchen? Do they make kitchens without a cooker? Why would you do without even a wee plug-in hob?
    As far as i know there wasn't an oven when we moved in. And we've never gotten one cos she thinks it's a fire hazard. Got an irrational fire phobia going on. Took convincing to even allow a toaster in there. *sigh*
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Jan 2013 19:50:03 20,480 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    HoboMario wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Do you have a kitchen? Do they make kitchens without a cooker? Why would you do without even a wee plug-in hob?
    As far as i know there wasn't an oven when we moved in. And we've never gotten one cos she thinks it's a fire hazard. Got an irrational fire phobia going on. Took convincing to even allow a toaster in there. *sigh*
    Drop the lunatic, stat.
  • Deleted user 6 January 2013 19:51:09
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    HoboMario wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Do you have a kitchen? Do they make kitchens without a cooker? Why would you do without even a wee plug-in hob?
    As far as i know there wasn't an oven when we moved in. And we've never gotten one cos she thinks it's a fire hazard. Got an irrational fire phobia going on. Took convincing to even allow a toaster in there. *sigh*
    Drop the lunatic, stat.
    It's his mum isn't it?
  • PhoenixFlames 6 Jan 2013 19:56:25 9,263 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    HoboMario wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Do you have a kitchen? Do they make kitchens without a cooker? Why would you do without even a wee plug-in hob?
    As far as i know there wasn't an oven when we moved in. And we've never gotten one cos she thinks it's a fire hazard. Got an irrational fire phobia going on. Took convincing to even allow a toaster in there. *sigh*
    Drop the lunatic, stat.
    It's his mum isn't it?
    Apparently. She sounds like she needs help.
  • Page

    of 209 First / Last

Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.