Who rides a motorcycle? Page 18

• Page

of 23 First / Last

• dominalien 14 Oct 2013 16:06:11 7,013 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Crack the visor open a tad when you stop, close again as you ride off.
    I've been doing that, but it's really a pain. It's better when I don't have the jawbone inserted, but it's really not any safer.

This pinlock thing looks interesting, I'll need to take a look at that.

PSN: DonOsito

• drip 15 Oct 2013 03:07:08 4,276 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I wear glasses and they are a *pain* with helmets. I've got a flip up sun visor one, so by your thinking I better book my bed on a neuro rehab ward now!
    I didn't mean to say that, many seem to be pretty safe, this was more theoretical.
  • drip 15 Oct 2013 03:17:37 4,276 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Salaman wrote:

It's also a flip-up with a sun visor. So Although convenient and handy to avoid being blinded by the sun, possible best to avoid heavy impacts.
    The sun visor does have a safety advantage, because you're not as easily blinded by the sun and at the same time you have clear sight in darker places, or when driving home at night.

Again, this is pretty theoretical, an advantage in passive safety can be expected, but if it really makes that much of a difference is another matter. I think a good helmet with a sun visor is safer than a bad one without.
  • drip 15 Oct 2013 03:30:41 4,276 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @dominalien

Pinlock is the most effective anti-fog system (if you don't count the double visors of old), and also hugely successful on the market. Most good helmets come with one either pre-installed or with the visor prepared for an optional one (recognisable by the little pins on the visor's side).

If your visor isn't prepared, you'll have to buy a generic one, the problem being that you have to drill holes in your visor for the pins, which is difficult because you want the pinlock to sit in the right place, and more crucially, to fit at all. A few millimetres error in the distance between the pins can make the thing impossible to fit.
  • BillMurray 28 Oct 2013 22:02:13 7,788 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some good docs on BBC4 this evening. Just watched one on biking in Britain in the 40's and 50's and just about to start one on the North West 200.
  • Jetset_UK 31 Oct 2013 13:09:49 3,565 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So me and my girlfriend passed our CBT and I bought myself a learner bike (Sinnis Max 2), and we're really enjoying it all so far.

I'm looking for a cheap way we can communicate with each other while riding. Any ideas?
  • GuiltySpark 31 Oct 2013 13:12:13 6,421 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cup and string?

Get bent.

• chopsen 31 Oct 2013 13:16:41 16,125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pillion or on separate bikes?
  • billythekid 31 Oct 2013 13:19:20 11,195 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd never wear a bike to bike intercom as people would then hear how much I talk to myself when I'm riding.
  • chopsen 31 Oct 2013 13:22:30 16,125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Assuming different bikes, something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/helmet-speaker-and-microphone-kit-27212

and a pair of PMR radios (walkie talkies).

Make sure the connectors on the walkie talkie match the ones on the headset. They're pretty standard, but there are different standdards if you know what I mean.

The other thing to note is that it's pretty difficult to hear anything unless you're at low speed. Don't expect to have a pleasant chat while bombing it down the motorway.
  • chopsen 31 Oct 2013 13:23:30 16,125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I'd never wear a bike to bike intercom as people would then hear how much I talk to myself when I'm riding.
    I often do that, and sing as well. It often takes me a while at traffic lights to remember that people can't probably hear me.
  • Jetset_UK 31 Oct 2013 13:25:38 3,565 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Different bikes. We tried cup and string but apparently it's legal! Bloody nanny state.
  • chopsen 31 Oct 2013 13:27:27 16,125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, get a pair of PMR446 radios and some headsets.

Don't get bluetooth ones. They're expensive and have a shit range.
  • drip 17 Nov 2013 21:54:22 4,276 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I personally have no experience with intercom systems, but we sold a lot of them and Cardo systems seemed to be superior to anything else we could get.

edit: not cheap though. But good.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:57:07 17-11-2013
  • drip 18 Nov 2013 01:02:58 4,276 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh, and don't buy Rukka. Don't. If you want to spend big money, get something that's not overpriced crap.
  • Salaman 18 Nov 2013 09:18:36 19,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Boohoo. 2 weeks ago, the bike wouldn't start. I feared it was going to happen soon. As it'd been chugging over a few times before starting lately and I've only needed it for short trips.
    The battery is 3 years old though/ Drove it through the first winter except for icy/snowy days where the roads are too slippery. Stood still a lot of the second winter.

I was hoping to just use jump cables on it but that didn't work. :-/
    Luckily me and my neighbour who also has a bike have just arranged for a garage, so at least I can get it out of the street and the elements now.
  • chopsen 18 Nov 2013 09:26:29 16,125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you have a Deauville, or have I got you mixed up with someone else?

Edited by Chopsen at 09:27:09 18-11-2013
  • Salaman 18 Nov 2013 10:34:37 19,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yip a Deauville.
    I was expecting the demise of my battery anytime really. I didn't use it much over the summer and at the end of August, it hadn't moved in 2 or 3 weeks and had a little bit of trouble starting. I knew it wasn't going to last the winter. :-)

I'll push it into that brand spanking new garage tonight. Take out the battery and go get a new one next weekend. My Tuesday night dance class is only 2 or 3 miles away but it's a bitch to find parking space, so I prefer to bike there. :-)
  • chopsen 18 Nov 2013 10:39:20 16,125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    2 or 3 weeks of being left alone should not have caused your battery to die! Also, shouldn't battery problems mean it just doesn't start at all, not that it has difficulty starting?

I've got a deaville too. Despite supposedly being really reliable, I had a problem with my spark-plug covers or something that cause the engine to short out intermittently. Apparently a common fault on deauvilles, but the first garage i took it to missed it.
  • Salaman 18 Nov 2013 11:27:09 19,242 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not if the battery is good but they do degrade over time. Although I have succesfully hooked it up to the car with jumper cables before and it didn't start this time, so I did wonder if it might be something else. Like spark plugs.
    I hope not as I'm not sure how it'd get it over to the garage to get it looked at.
  • chopsen 18 Nov 2013 11:45:59 16,125 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, that doesn't sound like batteries. Which is a shame as that would be an easy fix!

I'd recommend taking it to a proper honda dealer for diagnostics. Like I said, "bloke down the road" garage missed the problem with mine.

Roadside recovery services (AA or RAC or whatever) will take your bike to a garage if it's completely dead. I once had my bike on the back of a recovery truck big enough to take a van. It looked ridiculous!
  • billythekid 18 Nov 2013 12:01:55 11,195 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shouldn't really use a car to jump start a bike, you can damage the bikes electrics.

Much better off to bump start it, which is pretty easy unless it's the weight of a Harley.

I always used to use one of these type things. You have a connector on the bike which you just plug in when it's in the shed. It then maintains your battery without overcharging, especially handy if you're leaving it for a few weeks.
  • BillMurray 18 Nov 2013 16:14:13 7,788 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Gyroscopic cameras are awesome.
  • Nasty 18 Nov 2013 17:49:59 4,748 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The gyro bum cam is awesome too

http://youtu.be/Bn2bERxFwN8

Get some tingles going just seeing how close their knees, elbows, shoulders and head get to the wall.
  • craigy Staff 19 Nov 2013 09:09:21 7,718 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Morning gang,

We're moving slightly out of town shortly, so I'll no longer be able to walk to work. I've been thinking about getting a motorcycle for my commute for my 10 mile round trip.

With that in mind, I'm after some general advice! I have no experience with motorcycles, and would be starting from scratch. I've assured the other half that I'll get something low powered, as she's terrified of me getting decapitated by a van while on the road.

Aesthetically I quite like the Yamaha DT125R, or the Honda CG125 -- would they be considered good "starter" bikes?
  • Page

of 23 First / Last