Halo Reach Page 513

• Page

of 516 First / Last

• octo 5 Apr 2012 13:45:22 979 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Enjoyed some really good games lately after a six month hiatus. It is a testament to how easy the game is to pick up and play and the overall control system. The default config for the button layout works perfectly.

Although I did forget how to one hit melee kill.
  • RedSparrows 5 Apr 2012 19:32:02 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Online now! Hit me up bitches!
  • Deleted user 5 April 2012 20:12:58
    How long are you on for?
  • Vyggo 6 Apr 2012 19:24:32 445 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I picked Halo Reach up a couple of days ago, playing though the campaign. I went for Hardcore difficulty because I seemed to remember people saying that normal is too easy.

I have to say though, it might be me sucking at shooters but it is pretty tough, harder than I was expecting. It's mostly challenging in a fun way, but every once in a while I run into a bottleneck where the checkpoints seem to be spaced out too far, and dying over and over again to one hit kill weapons and grenades and having to replay over 5 minutes of monsters can get frustrating.

Am I missing something, or is it just a case of using more skill? Mostly using the armor lockdown thing because that seems to be most effective, but it doesn't help you from rounding a corner and being one-shotted by an elite.
  • thenastypasty 6 Apr 2012 19:51:02 5,182 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it your first Halo game? Because once you understand the game mechanics and what weapons to use in any given situation then "Hardcore" difficultly really isn't that difficult.
  • Deleted user 6 April 2012 19:53:31
    If you're new to Halo then knowing the most effective weapon for the enemy type is crucial at Heroic or above. Once you know the best tools for the task then heroic is very achieveable if not easy.

Pro tip: Plasma pistol and DMR are awesome for Elites. Aim for the head with every other enemy with precision weapons.
  • oceanmotion 6 Apr 2012 20:21:09 15,917 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't think I ever used the Armour Lock myself in campaign. Never was quite sure what positive it was giving me, probably not my style. I liked the sprint for running to cover or away to safety or straight for the enemies face!

Weapon choice and knowing who to kill first usually works well in Halo. The Elites have shields so best to take those down with a plasma pistol or from distance with a rifle or well placed grenade. Don't forget grunts and others, they wear you down.

I think Reach is harder than other Halo games on Heroic or harder more often than not so no shame. Just take your time and use everything at you disposal and pick the right moments.
  • RedSparrows 7 Apr 2012 00:18:50 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Plasma vs shields, bullets vs flesh.

Grenades are king.

Explore every 'firefight' area, i.e large open place you encounter baddies. There's often hidden stashes of weapons.

You are far more mobile than in other shooters - especially with sprint. Run, jump, explore.

Using melee/jump/strafe at CQ is fun, and works well on weaker enemies. Dance like a bee.
  • Vyggo 8 Apr 2012 00:51:20 445 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thanks for the tips guys, I did notice that a different weapon can make a world of difference and that grenades are way more useful than in other games, but wasn't sure which one is good for which situation. I did play Halo on the xbox (I reckon on normal), but didn't play all the other ones.

I guess the most annoying thing are the one hit kills, you can be doing very well and get blindsided by an elite or brute and it's back to the last checkpoint. Think I would enjoy it more if you would "just" survive those if you have a full shield and some health.
  • RedSparrows 20 Apr 2012 10:25:52 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=54NepKoKSnI

Great vid!
  • Deleted user 21 April 2012 20:15:45
    Haven't played Reach now for well over a month, having 'retired' it. I was burning out on Halo and BF3 came along at just the right time; after the brief novelty of Gears 3 wore off. That, and I've re-bought Killzone 3 (via the multiplayer-only suite), which is criminally underrated and just really playable.

My thinking is I want Halo 4 to feel FRESH. I didn't like the idea of just segueing into it from Reach, as do CoD players move onto their latest annual update. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.
  • RedSparrows 9 Jul 2012 17:07:15 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I need to get back on this. Have a strange Halo-absence.

Will be on tomorrow eve, for shootings.
  • Zenostar 9 Jul 2012 19:44:19 16 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bought Halo Anniversary recently and have been playing its multiplayer for the past few nights. Nothing spectacular but I thought it was good fun, which was quite surprising as it's actually just Reach's multiplayer (with old CE maps) and I remember hating Reach's multiplayer for some reason.

So thought I'd stick Reach on last night for the first time in over a year and a half and was quickly reminded why I had stopped playing it in the first place. Terrible, terrible maps. Just dire. The worst maps any major online X360 title has ever come with. Played for two hours and then put it back in its box never to be reopened.

I played the fuck out of Halo 3's multiplayer. Something like 1200 games over 3 years, back at its peak when it used to have about 400000 players on. Played it regularly. Quite miss having a Halo game among the most played Live games as it's something different from the current CoD/Battlefield military shooters that dominate on the console nowadays.

Halo's multiplayer has a bit of the Unreal Tournament/Quake/Tribes PC shooter aesthetic going on, which is largely missing from consoles. But Reach's multiplayer was just damn awful, and it pretty much killed Halo 3's community when it was released, as new titles always do. Shame.
  • DFawkes 9 Jul 2012 20:04:54 22,927 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The map quality is a matter of opinion, but it killing off the Halo 3 community is just factually wrong. Not sure how often he does them, but on Major Nelson's blog it's never dropped out of the top 20 games played. One example out of many.

I've always felt they're different enough that they co-exist quite nicely, and have never had difficulty getting a game on either of them. The only issue I have now is the more casual Halo 3 players have moved on, so the quality of player feels higher in Halo 3 now. It's still fun though :)

Edited by DFawkes at 20:05:43 09-07-2012

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• RedSparrows 9 Jul 2012 20:35:01 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reach has some great vanilla maps, and some poor ones. DLC is almost all great.

I must say, even if your opinion of the maps never changes (fair enough), playing any shooter after a break of a year is gonna be tricky.

Edited by RedSparrows at 20:36:29 09-07-2012
  • Deleted user 9 July 2012 22:24:28
    Am a Halo noob frankly and played Reach team slayer the other night and really enjoyed it. I wish I'd played more of it at launch, but you know, distractions. I'd be up for some MP, but don't expect much of me. :)

Actually Sparrows I watched a video on your file share this morning! "Retaliation!". Very good! :)

Edited by Apostle at 22:24:51 09-07-2012
  • RedSparrows 11 Jul 2012 11:06:16 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played some good games last night.

Other than team-mates being SHITE. Jesus wept.
  • muttler 11 Jul 2012 12:38:47 4,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had some good games. I plan to be on most nights, I want to be a moon rank before Halo 4 comes out!
  • Deleted user 11 July 2012 16:31:05
    I'd like to be a hero. The moon icon offends my over sensitive aesthetic gland.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 13 Jul 2012 10:53:54 12,741 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:

Great vid!
    Wow, that is seriously impressive
  • evild_edd 13 Jul 2012 11:22:09 3,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played my first Reach matches for months over the past few days - forgot just how much I love Halo MP, even if I can veer from being a one-man army, unstoppable killing machine one night, to a barely moving target the next.

Definitely plan on getting some more games in over the next few weeks. Kind of wish I'd bought the DLC map packs when they were on sale the other week. Oh well, Halo 4's just round the corner anyway so I'm sure a lot of players will be migrating to that, unless they really sod-up the MP. I am a little worried about the introduction of upgrades/perks in to the online side of things :S

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• RedSparrows 13 Jul 2012 12:11:03 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BravoGolf wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:

Great vid!
    Wow, that is seriously impressive
    Halo's sandbox at its best!
  • TOOTR 13 Jul 2012 17:19:47 9,554 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Awesome vid :)

Awesome game :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• muttler 13 Jul 2012 17:47:26 4,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The sniper ricochet kills are ridiculous!  They have to be flukes right.... right?
  • RedSparrows 14 Jul 2012 10:06:27 22,585 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah. Mixed in with the killionaire!
  • Deleted user 26 July 2012 21:05:51
    Finally ranked up to Hero and what a way to do it.

1 flag on Breakneck. K29 D2 won 2-1. I wasn't just going for kills either. What made it more satisfying was that I was having a torrid time up to then being matched with rubbish people and getting owned by the same person who kept being on the opposite side. It was nice to make him my bitch.

Loving Super Slayer and the TU in general. The recticle bloom enhancements are subtle but make the game better in my opinion. It seems you can get the shield down at anything up to long range with fast shots but the decisive bullet needs that extra second to line up. The game is
    that little bit faster paced now. I'm glad they've opted out of bleed through damage too, best to minimize the ambiguity.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2012 10:51:10
    Great games last night guys. Really tight, epic battles for sure.
  • Buztafen 27 Jul 2012 11:00:01 16,226 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The couple of Team Objective slobbernockers we had were a lot of fun.

Edited by Buztafen at 11:00:15 27-07-2012
  • Deleted user 27 July 2012 11:49:08
    Hang 'em high was painful though!
  • muttler 4 Aug 2012 13:33:47 4,025 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In a wraith I just got a killtacular and a rampage! 

/plays Chariots of Fire music
  • Page

of 516 First / Last