FAO people who work from home: get a bird feeder! Page 6

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Psychotext 25 Mar 2011 17:06:12 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My goldfinches are still here. Glad I stuck with the niger seed.

Also, the cross between a pigeon and a dove is all grown up now. So strange seeing it happily chilling with both the woodpidgeons and the doves.
  • JuanKerr 25 Mar 2011 17:09:33 36,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll have to get some niger seed this weekend then - only see the Goldfinches from time to time and would like to see them more often.
  • Trowel 26 Mar 2011 10:15:27 17,447 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Our garden is well serviced by tits (blue, coal, and great), dunnocks, sparrows (a flock of 20 or so regulars, and a sparrowhawk who appears at clockwork at midday every day), goldfinches, pied wagtails, collared doves (and some woodpigeons who I always try to shoo off), and - like yourself JanKerr - a beautiful little wren than flits about in the shadows. Rarer visitors include blackcaps and a great spotted woodpecker who visits for the peanut feeder. Not bad for a 10x10m suburban Bristol garden on the edge of an industrial estate.

Sadly, part of the reason we did so well is our garden backs out onto an old allotments, but the building they belong to was bought for redevelopment recently and the allotments cleared before planning permission had been obtained :(
  • Psychotext 26 Mar 2011 10:58:53 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Our garden is well serviced by tits (blue, coal, and great), dunnocks, sparrows (a flock of 20 or so regulars, and a sparrowhawk who appears at clockwork at midday every day), goldfinches, pied wagtails, collared doves (and some woodpigeons who I always try to shoo off), and - like yourself JanKerr - a beautiful little wren than flits about in the shadows. Rarer visitors include blackcaps and a great spotted woodpecker who visits for the peanut feeder. Not bad for a 10x10m suburban Bristol garden on the edge of an industrial estate.

Sadly, part of the reason we did so well is our garden backs out onto an old allotments, but the building they belong to was bought for redevelopment recently and the allotments cleared before planning permission had been obtained :(
    That sucks, doubly so as someone who runs an allotment. They should never be allowed to be built upon.
  • Psychotext 26 Mar 2011 20:06:05 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Talking of the allotment... I think I've made a new friend.

There's a robin there who sits a few feet from me, waits for me to dig, hops down to steal a few worms and then sings afterwards. I'm choosing to believe that it's singing for me as reward for digging up some worms for it. :)
  • skuzzbag 27 Mar 2011 08:31:11 5,636 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chickens are ace. I can sit and watch them all day. Shit a lot though.
  • Psychotext 5 Apr 2011 10:26:43 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thought I'd take a piccy of some of the goldfinches yesterday :)
  • Deleted user 5 April 2011 10:27:41
    They are sweet. Now cut your damn grass man!
  • billythekid 5 Apr 2011 10:28:59 11,028 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do you think I could get a Red Kite to land in my garden if I were to bait it up with chicken?
    He's always flying about and I can't get a decent photo of him!
  • Psychotext 5 Apr 2011 10:48:54 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    They are sweet. Now cut your damn grass man!
    Why? It's kept that way because the wildlife loves it.

I get considerably less interesting stuff (bees, butterflies, birds, hedgehogs) if it's kept like a golf course green. People should really keep that in mind, because this obsession with tidy gardens is fucking over our garden wildlife.

I'm in the process of turning one corner of the garden into a meadow style with tons of wild flowers and tall grass.
  • heyyo 5 Apr 2011 10:52:30 14,374 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    awww, that's a lovely photo :)
  • Deleted user 5 April 2011 10:54:49
    I wasn't really telling you to cut your grass man...
  • Psychotext 5 Apr 2011 10:55:35 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Point still stands. :p
  • Deleted user 5 April 2011 11:02:10
    I agree with you. When I was growing up we moved into this semi for a couple of months and it had (what was to me, it was actually tiny in hindsight) a massive garden that hadn't been touched in years. It was incredible the variety in wildlife I stumbled into every time I stepped outside. Unlike my friend with his perfectly groomed garden who was lucky if a pigeon landed in it.
  • JuanKerr 5 Apr 2011 12:11:53 36,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great pics Psychotext. Our Goldfinches pop in most days, really pretty little things.

We've also got a Wren who I was lucky enough to see close up this morning. Ridiculously cute little thing :)
  • Razz 5 Apr 2011 12:43:20 60,772 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I'll have to get some nigger seed this weekend then
    I can arrange this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Psychotext 5 Apr 2011 12:59:27 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    We've also got a Wren who I was lucky enough to see close up this morning. Ridiculously cute little thing :)
    My allotment has a pretty good selection, but nothing as cute as the goldfinches.

What I like best about the allotment though is that the birds don't seem to give a shit that I'm there. It's their world and they're going to get on with their usual lives whilst I'm digging and stuff. :)
  • boo 5 Apr 2011 13:42:53 11,706 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I can arrange this.

:oD

So wrong.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Alastair 5 Apr 2011 14:38:45 15,459 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I can arrange this.

He keeps it in a jar in the fridge.

Not as nice as I used to be

• Benno 15 Apr 2011 16:23:16 9,796 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay I have invested in a bird feeder, I have it outside my window but no birds have used it as of yet!

How long does it take for word to get around the bird colonies? I want to watch them :(

Is there anything I can do to attract more birds? Its like a raised table about 4/5 feet off the ground, I have just sprinkled some seed on it at the minute - should i perhaps add some chopped fruit? What about a few after eights?
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2011 18:14:48 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'd say it took about 3-4 weeks before I got regular visitors. The pigeons will normally act first!
  • freedumb 16 Apr 2011 09:08:31 1,110 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    May as well link to this programme thatI watched recently:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00vnf8d/Birds_Britannia_Garden_Birds/

I don't have a bird feeder myself, but regularly see starlings, sparrows, blackbirds, wagtails, blue tits, robins, rooks, magpies and the likes in my garden and surrounding area.

We live quite high too and occasionally see Buzzards (also being mobbed by crows and jackdaws) soaring, calling, waiting in trees, or on posts, looking to swoop down for worms/rodents and stuff.

What I really want to see is a raven.
  • Psychotext 13 Jun 2011 14:06:43 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have goldfinch fledglings outside. Soooo cute.

\o/
  • JuanKerr 13 Jun 2011 14:10:54 36,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nice! Our Goldfinches don't visit as often as they used to, but they're still about.

We've got some Robin & Great Tit fledglings knocking about and they are very cute too.
  • Psychotext 13 Jun 2011 14:58:48 53,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've not seen any other younguns. Odd.
  • JuanKerr 23 Dec 2013 12:48:17 36,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bump.

Been a bit finch crazy here recently - had a dozen Goldfinches on the feeders earlier, with at least three more hanging around waiting for a space to appear.

Edited by JuanKerr at 13:38:05 23-12-2013
  • Murbal 23 Dec 2013 13:10:29 21,928 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We've got a big lump of fat outside and it's incredibly popular. So much so in fact that the nuts aren't getting touched. Must try and get a pic over Christmas - you've never seen so many tits.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 23 Dec 2013 13:31:39 661 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We get a shed load of blue tits, occasional green finch thing. Usually have a robin but hasn't appeared yet. Bloody great parakeet hovered near it the other day. Also have had a sparrow hawk munching on a pigeon and a green woodpecker.
    Worth getting one just to see the cats headbutt the window.

Arsechickens

• JuanKerr 23 Dec 2013 13:43:17 36,203 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fat is always popular at this time of year, especially with the blue/great/long-tailed tits. If you get the ball things, make sure you take them out of the green plastic netting :)

We get quite a few pheasants in the garden too (lot of game shooting around here) - they hoover up any seed on the floor and love a bit of chicken food.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last